[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know streaming is bullshit, but isn't streaming the same
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 11
File: 1467339736452.jpg (13 KB, 289x300) Image search: [Google]
1467339736452.jpg
13 KB, 289x300
I know streaming is bullshit, but isn't streaming the same as downloading HS rips, as they're stream rips?

If you watch any currently airing show, it's a rip of a stream, you have to wait months after a series ends for BD rips too.

Is there any real advantage to downloading anything but BD rips, HS rips are shit for archival.
>>
I mean CR hands out free trials like crazy, it's the same quality as download a HS rip, yes?
>>
File: questions.jpg (42 KB, 541x304) Image search: [Google]
questions.jpg
42 KB, 541x304
Shut up and get with the program
>>
>>143546234
>isn't streaming the same as downloading HS rips, as they're stream rips?
No, it is not, for a number of reasons.

>Is there any real advantage to downloading anything but BD rips,
Yes, there is, but not opposed to BD rips when they are available.
>>
>>143546391
What makes downloading stream rips better than streaming them?
>>
>>143546234

That's literally not how it works. Those kind of "fansub" groups get TV rips which are higher quality than CR streams. Then they use the CR script to add subs to the higher quality TV rips.
>>
>>143546476
Streaming tends to have lots of artifacts, such as banding. You can't do shit about that unless you've downloaded the stream rips, which you can deband using your video player.
>>
>>143546476
1) being able to make the access automatic
2) relative independence of a constant internet connection
3) better quality through better player
4) (in case of Crunchyroll): free access to full HD
5) (in case of illegal streaming sites) better quality (on top of #3) because no bit-starving re-encode
6) (in case of almost any streaming site other than CR) soft-subs
7) (in case of illegal streaming sites): earlier access to the file

Does that suffice?
>>
>>143546609
Who does this, HS just rips directly from CR instead of splicing subs into a TV rip, yes?
>>
People torrent horriblesub because they want to talk and post screenshots of the anime to be discussed now instead of months or even years later.

Simple as that.

Archiving anime, or buying BD/DVDs or deleting it after watching it is up to each individual, and nobody should give a fuck about what happens afterwards.
>>
>>143546476
Maybe you should learn about UDP
>>
>>143546662
Also, when downloading something other than HS, you get
8) better source video than the stream (on top of #3 and #5)
>>
>>143546234
>but isn't streaming the same as downloading HS rips, as they're stream rips?
Not with madVR.
>>
Most streaming sites *cough*KissAnime*cough* have even shittier bandwidth than CR and even Funi, also if you have a non-shit player, downloading them allows you to reduce the artifacts caused by CR and Funi cheappo encode
>>
>>143546666
Actual fansubbers used to do this.
>>
>>143546830
Actual fansubbing is dead with some small exceptions
>>
>>143546830
It still holds true for just about every release that doesn't have horribleubs or fish in the name, unless the CR rip is actually better than the TV rip.
>>
>>143546865
No I know but "fansubbing is dead," you know how it is.
>>
>>143546897
But it isn't.
Most people who proclaim it dead haven't been around in the times before official translations were freely available.
>>
>>143546932
I'm sorry you're taking anything I say as anything other than chain-jerking. I'm sorry for being such a chain jerker. I'm just sorry anon.
>>
File: CmLmMp2WQAAoEjQ.jpg (54 KB, 850x479) Image search: [Google]
CmLmMp2WQAAoEjQ.jpg
54 KB, 850x479
it is

however, people need excuses to justify their piracy and will claim both reasonable and absurd things just to convince themselves and others they are doing the right thing(just look at how worked up everyone gets instead of saying "I guess streaming is ok if you tolerate it"). Personally I download because it's more comfortable but it's literally the exact same as streaming, if you'd rather stream then go ahead
>>
>>143546932
Betch,most fansub groups are dead and the few that remain just use edited CR scripts 90% of the time, and the ones who don't are slow as balls, taking releasing between 3 days and a month after broadcast.
>>
>>143547059
>but it's literally the exact same

Reading data from a server thousands of miles away through your browser is the same as reading it from your hard drive through a player? I'm not some bald guy with a long list of dastardly deeds to my name, but I'm pretty sure that's not right.
>>
>>143547002
>chain-jerking.
>>
>>143547171
Sorry, I meant "pretending to be retarded."
>>
>>143547124

For most practical purposes assuming you have an alright internet connection, it is. Horriblesubs will not achieve superb video quality anyway, if we compare hs to crunchy it's the exact same thing, difference would be convenience (personally, my internet is fairly slow so I'd rather have my rss download stuff as soon as it is available than struggle buffering when I actually have time).
>>
>>143547336
>For most practical purposes assuming you have an alright internet connection

So what you're saying is, that it's not actually "the exact same thing," but you don't want to backtrack now. Got it.
>>
>>143547336
No it's not. The Crunchyroll web player is fucking awful compared to a properly configured mpv. Even if they are playing the same source, the output on a stream will look like complete shit, while the output in mpv would only look like mild shit.
>>
>>143546830
Those still exist?
>>
>>143547495
>mpv
Go back to your containment general in your containment board
>>
>>143547579
>implying I'm using vlc
Susuga memepv shills
>>
>>143547555
What's so bad about mpv? I use it. Not for streaming obviously.
>>
I came home today, noticed my torrent client downloaded a show, and watched it immediately because Taiga pulled the file for me. All in all, I right clicked twice and left clicked once, I didn't have to type anything and started watching my show in about 25~ seconds. Never once actively had used my internet after getting home. Tell me how streaming can match that convince?
>>
>>143547699
I assume he equates mpv with gentoo and gentoo with /g/ shitposting.
>>
>>143547685
I bet you spend all day ricing your MPC-HC loading icon.
>>
>>143547699
mpv is a hacked together, cross-compiled unoptimized piece of shit packaged in an unsigned binary.
>>
>>143547889
>I'm too dumb to compile it myself
>>
>>143547919
Are you fucking stupid?
>>
>>143546234
A CUTE!
>>
>>143547699
It's not bad, it's just an OK meme player that doesn't really offer anything that MPC, but /g/ keeps shoving down eveyrone's throats because muh open source and because they think that tinkering with config files and command lien arguments makes them leet.
>>
>>143547810
Says the guy who spends all day editing his mpv config file
>>
>>143548083
My mpv configuration file is two lines.
>>
>>143548110
It's as good as a properly configured MPC setup, with the exception that MPC has an actual UI and you don't need to dick around with config files and command line arguments to watch a video.
>>
>>143548194
>you don't need to dick around with config files and command line arguments to watch a video.
You're right. You just have to go around clicking a bunch of menus and buttons. That's so much better.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1357375-advanced-mpc-hc-setup-guide.html
>>
>>143546476
I could say a lot of things but pictures are worth a thousand words.
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/143935
>>
>>143548389
>sharper lines, clearer colors, no watermark
Is that all?
>>
>>143548261
As opposed to closing the player, looking through a 180-page manual for the option you need, opening the config file, changing the setting and then starting up the player again to see the results?
>>
>>143548465
Yes anon. That is all. It has better video quality, so downloading does have an advantage. Is that difficult to understand? This isn't even touching the shittier streams.
>>
>>143548545
As opposed to typing vo=opengl-hq:deband into a config file, and being done forever. Wow, that was hard.
>>
>>143547336
>>143546234

>internet connection
>streaming depends only on your net connection
are you all literally retarded?
When you download, your computer is playing the file in real time.
When you stream, your computer is playing it through your net connection, on your browser competing with other computers on a server and then rendering it.

Your computers capabilities, your net speed, all of thats irrelevant if crunchy or your isp starts throttling or just fucks up.
>>
>>143548389
What the fuck, that can't be real right? That looks fucking awful.
>>
File: Notepad Media Player Codec.jpg (300 KB, 700x1250) Image search: [Google]
Notepad Media Player Codec.jpg
300 KB, 700x1250
>>143548465
>>
>>143548628
Remember, crunchyroll is one of the better streams too.
Kissanime:http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/139307
anilinkz: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/171687
>>
>>143548465
>is that all
fucking kill yourself you cant be serious
go watch 3gp anime if you don't give a fuck
>>
>>143548701
Sorry, that was meant to be ironic. I thought the list of actual differences would make that obvious.
>>
>>143548742
>would make that obvious
Trust me, some people I've met have actually said stuff like that.
>>
>>143548577
You are saying it as if you have to do the initial config every time you open MPC, not to mention that doing a simple thing as changing the strength of the deband MCP is just 2 clicks and can be done on the fly, while in mpv you need to close the video and edit the config file.

Also, you have yet to provide any advantage mpv has over MPC. (inb4 muh better optimized CPU cycles that don't matter because you are watching a video in full-scren exclusive mode anyway)
>>
File: 3.png (509 KB, 698x720) Image search: [Google]
3.png
509 KB, 698x720
>>143548822
>any advantage mpv has over MPC
It works on linux.
>>
File: its fucking nothing.jpg (70 KB, 248x252) Image search: [Google]
its fucking nothing.jpg
70 KB, 248x252
>>143548946
>>
>>143548946
>>143549011
somebody shop an "it's fucking nothing" thing between the girls hands
>>
>>143548822
>doing a simple thing as changing the strength of the deband MCP is just 2 clicks and can be done on the fly
Because everyone is fucking autistic and changes the strength of the deband filter for every single video they watch right.

>Also, you have yet to provide any advantage mpv has over MPC.
can play streams reliably
scriptable to do anything
GUI that doesn't look like Windows 98
doesn't have to rely on botnet software like madVR to get good video output
multi-platform
>>
File: confused milky.jpg (26 KB, 433x380) Image search: [Google]
confused milky.jpg
26 KB, 433x380
>>143546234
Dear god what the fuck.
>>
File: streaming anime.png (720 KB, 1522x981) Image search: [Google]
streaming anime.png
720 KB, 1522x981
>>
>>143548389
That's pretty obviously not CR's 1080p video in the CR screenshot. While it's true that you can enhance the quality with things like debanding during local playback, out of the box the difference between watching 1080p on CR and a HS rip of the same 1080p stream on your player shouldn't be that big.
>>
>>143549221
Oh look who show up. Of course only when its time to shill his garbage he appear.
>>
>>143549304
>Daiz
>supporting CR
Are you serious?
>>
>>143549078
>Because everyone is fucking autistic and changes the strength of the deband filter for every single video they watch right.
Hard deband fucks up the grain on remasters from old cel shows liek Cardcaptor and shows with faux grain like SZS and Kara no Kyoukai 5

>can play streams reliably
>streams

>scriptable to do anything
madVR can do too

>GUI that doesn't look like Windows 98
You are saying as if the desing of the UI means jack shit when watching videos in full screen, also ricers please go and stay go

>doesn't have to rely on botnet software like madVR to get good video output
>le madVR is a botnet meeem
>>>/g/

>multi-platform
Good thing I don't have a mac and, I don't watch animu on my computer is dualbooted to play vydea anyway
>>
>>143549221
Hey, don't you have panda threads to shill and astroturf on for Jewcob
>>
The thing is that downloading is a lot more convenient if you spend a little time each season setting up RSS feeds and so on. So not even convenience is a valid reason, assuming you don't travel around or whatever.
>>
>>143549338
Actually, he kinda does.
>>
>>143549608
What did I miss?
>>
File: Kumiko.png (552 KB, 698x720) Image search: [Google]
Kumiko.png
552 KB, 698x720
>>143549075
How's this?
>>
>>143549378
>streams
So you never watch Youtube videos? Or Mogra? I mean MPC-HC even shits itself seeking while streaming from network storage. It's absolutely embarrassing.

>madVR can do too
So you can have your display refresh rate automatically change to the video framerate? You can have keyboard shortcuts to automatically make webms? You can have screenshots automatically uploaded to pomf or inserted into a 4chan post? You can automatically add the rest of the episodes of a show to the playlist when opening an episode?

>You are saying as if the desing of the UI means jack shit when watching videos in full screen, also ricers please go and stay go
This is coming from someone who rices the fucking LOADING SCREEN of a video player. Because it takes so long to load.
>>
>>143549671
Have you heard of antialiasing?
>>
File: cummy ko.png (567 KB, 698x720) Image search: [Google]
cummy ko.png
567 KB, 698x720
>>143549671
I've no idea what happened to the text.
>>
>>143549742
thanks anon
>>
>>143549608
Not really. Let me quote something I wrote last year that's still as relevant today:

>Here's another way to look at it: I would generally say that if someone consistently enjoys the products a service puts out, they should really show their support for the service and pay for it instead of pirating - but only if paying for it gives you the same or a better experience than pirating. So with that, let's consider someone who only watches anime with HorribleSubs' 1080p CR rips. To get a similar experience by buying a CR subscription:

>- The person should live in the United States (where CR has the most amount of content available)
>- They should have a fast enough internet connection to stream CR's 1080p video without buffering pauses (you don't have to worry about that when you download the whole file beforehand)
>- They shouldn't be using madVR debanding or any other postprocessing that is only really possible on local playback

>And it's really the same thing with all legal options for anime right now - there's just way too many caveats for me to unequivocally recommend paying for them even for the people who are satisfied with the quality they put out.
>>
>>143549676
>So you can have your display refresh rate automatically change to the video framerate?
Yes, hell you don't even need to write a script for that because MPC has a single checkbox for that in the options

>You can have keyboard shortcuts to automatically make webms
I use WebMConverter to make webms because I like to have more control over the output.

>You can have screenshots automatically uploaded to pomf or inserted into a 4chan post
Why would I ever need to do that while watching my north armenian cartoons

>You can automatically add the rest of the episodes of a show to the playlist when opening an episode
MPC has a keyboard shortcut to open the next file in the folder.

>This is coming from someone who rices the fucking LOADING SCREEN of a video player
When did I even said I do?
>>
Streaming is legitimately inferior to just playing the videos. The quality suffers.

But 99% of anime that you would be streaming (ie. any new series) is trash, so it doesn't really matter. Just like how you don't need to be in a fancy restaurant to get what you want/need out of a McDonald's meal.

Now, old series that you're visiting, those you shouldn't stream, always go for BD rips. Unless you're watching tv-quality rips in which case who gives a shit.
>>
>>143550072
>But 99% of anime that you would be streaming (ie. any new series) is trash, so it doesn't really matter
What the fuck?

>Just like how you don't need to be in a fancy restaurant to get what you want/need out of a McDonald's meal.
You can get much better hamburgers plus fries at a fancy restaurant than at McDonalds, so yeah, going there would be the better choice, unless you don't have the money.
But pirating is FOR FREE.
>>
>>143549221
>That's pretty obviously not CR's 1080p video in the CR screenshot.
You'd have to pay to get access to CR's 1080p version.
>>
>>143550072
Just because a series is shit it doesn't mean I want my eyes to start bleeding on top of that every time there is a dark scene because CR streams are optimized for murricans and spics with shit internet conenctions
>>
>>143546854
That's what happens when CR hires all the good fansubbers.
>>
>>143546234
It's the digital equivalent of passing old VHS from friend to friend, hand to hand, and hosting a public screening and selling food and drink, if not tickets, at the event. Regardless of the speed and reach of the personal network, a personal network is just that. Mass distribution at a profit (and that's exactly what the massive ad space revenue is) is illegal. Generally speaking the speed and reach of a digital network definitely blurs the lines when compared to physical copies, but the idea is the same. The real issue isn't the practicality of it but the semantics of it as what was until relatively recently an uncharted legal territory. But if you're only talking about personal benefits to you as a viewer then sure being lazy and finding a reasonable quality stream isn't too much different in viewing experience than just downloading it yourself. But the fact is that at that point the only question to your own benefit is which is quicker, and assuming you're at all on top of the digital distribution scene, then you'd be getting everything from the same place and at the same time as the streaming sites get their anyhow. Unless you're talking symulcast stuff but that only accounts for a tiny fraction of what's being aires at any given point. Either way it just kind crops up to how competant you are at your pirating.
>>
File: 1465854894292.png (451 KB, 752x569) Image search: [Google]
1465854894292.png
451 KB, 752x569
>>143549742
R A R E
>>
>>143550147

I'm not saying the quality of the food changes. I'm saying it's McDonald's whether you eat it in a fancy restaurant setting or in your car in a parking lot at dusk.
>>
>>143550803
>I'm not saying the quality of the food changes.
But the quality of the video changes objectively so if you're just delivering McDonald's food to a fancy restaurant it's a false equivalence.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.