[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Watched episode one and just read that it was adapted from a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8
File: 73199l.jpg (74 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
73199l.jpg
74 KB, 300x450
Watched episode one and just read that it was adapted from a video game. Having second thoughts.

So is it worth the time or should I just move on to other things?
>>
>>143523489
Play the game before watching the anime.
>>
>>143523582
This.
>>
>>143523489
Stein's Gate is great.
Literally every other VN adaptation I've seen has been greatly flawed, but that's actually not the case for Stein's Gate, it really is a good anime.
Worth watching.
>>
If's a decent adaptation, but you'll miss some good stuff from the VN that was cut for the anime.
>>
Its amazing, please just stick with it.
>>
It's a rare good adaptation but if you have the will to read the VN you should do that instead.
>>
>>143523489
>>143523582
>video game
>calling it a game when 99% of the time is spent reading
>>
Is the dub good?
>>
Read the VN, the nature of the story is heavily supported by the fact that it is one, and adapting it to a linear medium is fucking retarded.

>>143525989
Kill yourself
>>
>>143523489
First half is slow but the development is worth it for the second half.
>>
The VN is shit and only waifufags play it.

Play the Zero Escape series if you want the superior time loop series without weeb trash.
>>
File: 1437099787024.jpg (44 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1437099787024.jpg
44 KB, 512x512
>>143523489

Both the anime and the VN do things well in certain areas. Since anime as a medium excels at movement and displaying action, there are various scenes that are excellent that the VN with sprites simply can't express. The VN does a better job of showing you the depth all the characters have as well as their interactions with each other, but that's mostly due to its focus on text and audio with more time allowed than an episodic anime.

Both are definitely worth your time, but if you can go with the VN first. Even if you watch the anime first, the VN will still be worth your time afterwards, especially if you enjoyed the anime.

>>143491501

>Go watch some more anime and you'll start to realize that S;G and the SciAdv series in general is a somewhat rare gem of anime/VNs that is written with genuine care for the quality of the characters, plot, and setting with an author who actually cares about his work. Finding an ongoing series like that in this industry is something to be cherished.
>>
File: 125435445758765467564.png (31 KB, 265x209) Image search: [Google]
125435445758765467564.png
31 KB, 265x209
>>143526357
Are you upset that the third game was shit anon?
I enjoyed both.
>>
>>143526001
I can count on two hands the numbe rof dubs worth watching and Steins;Gate is one. In fact, its the last one that was any good.
>>
>>143526357
>ZTD
>anything but utter disappointment
>>>/v/
>>
File: GnVZ7uF.png (825 KB, 850x1200) Image search: [Google]
GnVZ7uF.png
825 KB, 850x1200
Anyone getting Zero?
>>
>>143526436
Is that why they went full retard when depicting data compression and made deleting the first D-mail from the database somehow change events in the past even though no time travel occurred?
>>
>>143523489
Fucking watch it. So good
>>
File: 1416551125339.jpg (114 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1416551125339.jpg
114 KB, 600x800
>>143525989

In the same way that if you had to choose between shit flavored curry and curry flavored shit, there's one option that's slightly better but they're both still shitty.
>>
File: Cj0aw-LUkAAwpev.jpg (104 KB, 724x844) Image search: [Google]
Cj0aw-LUkAAwpev.jpg
104 KB, 724x844
>>143526797
>>
>>143526830
IIRC, deleting the first D-mail meant SERN didn't get a chance to notice it
>>
>>143526797
Whenever it's released in English I will.
>>
>>143527333
But when they deleted it, they weren't using any form of time travel, so there's no way the worldline could have changed.
>>
First half of the anime is a slice of life, second half is Madoka trying to be saved.
>>
>>143527641

You're right, I was thinking about that. That might be a plot hole, but it also might be worth a rewatch to dig up.
>>
>>143523489
It's strong.

If you have a ton of free time play the game. Otherwise watch the anime.

It does get a little slow in the middle but the payoff is more than worth it. As for the first episode, it's a little confusing, but watch it again after you've finished the incredible finale and you'll love it.

You also have an excellent movie waiting for you when you finish the series.
>>
>>143527731
I finished the VN last night, they don't explain it.
>>
>>143523489
Don't bother. Shit sux just like all videogames
>>
>>143527881
>You also have an excellent movie
Eh, I like the movie, but I wouldn't call it amazing.
>>
>>143527641
I guess it implies they only raid Okabe shortly after noticing the first D-mail (whenever that ends up being due to divergence). But when it gets deleted, they never get a chance to notice it, raid Okabe, master time travel, and cause future Suzuha and friends to have to intervene on SERN shit. Therefore, the worldline has to shift to one where SERN's destiny is to remain oblivious and anti-SERN friends never do anything. And the SERN worldline mostly exists to make Okabe motivated via Mayuri's death to get back to the proper worldline and resolve the Kurisu incident/paradox

Or I'm just shitting out my old headcanon since I haven't read S;G in two years
>>
I can honestly say I don't understand the popularity of this fucking show. It's a shitty SoL for the first half-ish, then comes a 'twist' you can pretty easily see coming, then it's just the same arc more or less with each shitty SoL character. Ending drama is best part but the final fight scene isn't even memorable.

Add to this the shitty relationship dynamic between little miss timid bitch and captain autismo that's given it's own fucking tacked-on movie that completely fucks over the previously established time-travel dynamic.

writing feels like a shitty SoL mixed with a soap opera for the serious bits. I liked Chaos;Head more and I thought that was pretty shit.
>>
>>143527881

>excellent movie

Whoa there friend. You might want to think again before saying things like that in an S;G thread. Unless your criteria for excellent stands only on showcasing a character rather than plot substance.
>>
>>143528042
But you can't change the worldline without time travel. The worldline is a series of events that each determine the next and are determined by the previous one; unless you change an event in the past through time travel, the worldline doesn't change. If the worldline changed every time a significant event happened, Reading Steiner would be activating constantly for no apparent reason rather than only when someone time travels.
>>
>>143528171

If you don't like the characters or the concepts S;G talks about, then it's safe to say there won't be much for you in S;G.

The "shitty SoL" for the first half was their adaptation's attempt to follow what the VN set up; create a comfortable home-like setting for the viewer/reader to acclimate to and come to enjoy while getting to know the characters somewhat.

If by twist you meant something bad happens, then yeah that's kinda how all stories have to be in order to be interesting and have that many episodes, but if I doubt that anyone could have predicted what specifically would happen without any prior knowledge.

>final fight scene isn't even memorable

Since when was this a show that was centered on cool action sequences and fight scenes? It was never about a memorable fight.

I do agree the movie was tacked on and unnecessary, but that's to be expected when Chiyomaru wasn't on the team for it.

>>143528476

Remember that the FGL is not the only group with a time machine. Removing that text from the database results in SERN taking different actions with their attempted forays into time travel which also alters the time line.
>>
>>143528476
The SERN worldline shifts because its defining event "SERN learns about Okabe and Mayuri dies" can't happen when Okabe deletes the D-mail before SERN can see it
>>
>>143527641
It indirectly involves time travel because as long as SERN finds the message, they inevitably capture Okabe, Daru, and Kurisu and force them to build them a time machine. That leads to the dystopic future, which leads to Suzuha using the time machine. If they never find the message, that doesn't happen, Suzuha doesn't go back, and the events of the Beta attractor field play out instead.
>>
>>143528522
I'm fine with SoL shows, but man the characters are just super bland and uninteresting or just downright annoying in Steins Gate. Maybe the VN did a better job of setting things up or fleshing out the characters more but from the show they seem heavily one-dimensional, I'm not sure if more time with those characters would make me like it more.

On the twist thing, yeah, twist might not be a good word for it. But I think they intended the scene to catch people by surprise. Which for me didn't, because of how much they frame that particular character as untrustworthy and isolated.

Finally, sure, it's not a show about fights, I'm more than aware. But it was definitely set up to be the climax of the time traveling back segment. And it basically amounted to villain cackles maniacally, acts stereotypically evil, then protag gets sufficiently injured then miraculously pulls through. Woop de doo, cue fan-service movie.

The very least I will give you is that from what I've seen/heard about Steins Gate Zero, it might be interesting. I usually prefer narrative arcs where shit goes terribly wrong.
>>
>>143528476
>>143528584
Addendum: When SERN doesn't get to rule time travel thanks to learning about Okabe, another consequence is future anti-SERN Suzuha doesn't exist to crash and cancel Nakabachi's conference. Therefore the worldline shifts to one where the conference happens
>>
File: Unmeinosentaku.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Unmeinosentaku.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>143528818

I can understand if they seem one-dimensional or difficult to care about in the anime. The VN does a much better job.

I wouldn't say the fight itself was the climax, more the entire situation and following the outcome of it all; wanting to know what happens. Also, the movie isn't canon.

You do certainly sound like someone who would enjoy Zero far more since it seems like you feel the happy ending was earned for free. I think Chiyomaru wrote Zero to address the people who felt like it was too easy and without cost.
>>
File: 1387081208157.jpg (30 KB, 368x368) Image search: [Google]
1387081208157.jpg
30 KB, 368x368
>>143529137
>I think Chiyomaru wrote Zero to address the people who felt like it was too easy
Or maybe he thought he could milk the shit out of this franchise once more.
>>
>>143529210

Nothing wrong with wanting to capitalize on one of the best entries in their series. It's not like he's just doing 0 while ignoring the other entries. A;N, O;N, and C;C are all upcoming.
>>
>>143523489
get ready for the tears
>>
>>143528522
>>143528584
>>143528682
>>143528916
No offense, but I think you guys need a review on worldlines.

A "worldline" is a way of describing a changing 3-dimensional space as an unchanging 4-dimensional space by adding time as the fourth dimension. The key point here is that it is unchanging. The reason it doesn't change is that the laws of physics are deterministic; if we know the state of the world at a given point in time, we can use the laws of physics to determine what happens at any point in time after that. Which means, on the worldline where Okabe deletes the D-mail, the D-mail's deletion was already a part of the worldline before Okabe actually did it, and therefore the results of the deletion were always included in the worldline.

Also, every other time the worldline changes, it is at the exact instant when someone activates a time travel device. Regardless of how worldline theory actually works or is presented in the VN, the VN breaks its own rules here. If the worldline changed every time a significant event happened, it would have changed when Okabe saw Kurisu's body or got the Metal Upa.

Lastly, it's completely retarded of SERN to spend millions of dollars and risk a security breach by revealing themselves to the Rounders just to encrypt their database of time-travel emails, while their time travel research documentation is several orders of magnitude more damaging to them. It seems to me if someone has already learned about their experiments, learned about the Committee of 300, and read their time machine schematics, reading the Echelon database won't hurt SERN any more. In addition, there's no way a computer built in 1975 could encrypt something in a way that isn't crackable with a modern computer, and they could have just wiped the entire database;

Steins;Gate may be full of plot holes, but the characters are really the main draw of the VN.
>>
Let's explain Steins;Gate

Okabe starts on Attractor Field Beta (AFB), attends Nakabachi's conference, finds Kurisu in a red puddle, and texts about her death, which goes back in time

The strange text - the first D-Mail - is reachable by SERN. Because SERN eventually finding the text is a possible event, anti-SERN Suzuha can exist and time-travel, but crashes and cancels Nakabachi's conference

Because Nakabachi's conference is cancelled, Okabe finds himself in a new world - Attractor Field Alpha (AFA). (Also, Nakabachi can't start World War III and time travel shenanigans worldwide before SERN can master time travel). However, in this new world, SERN will eventually find the strange text, raid Okabe, and rule the world

Another defining event of AFA is Mayuri dying - to motivate Okabe to get back to AFB (and put Kurisu in a red puddle). To get back to AFB, Okabe can delete the first D-Mail, preventing SERN from eventually finding it (which must be shortly before each lab raid of plot-convenient date) and anti-SERN Suzuha from preventing an AFB defining event via her crash

Upon deleting the first D-Mail, Okabe finds himself in AFB some time after Nakabachi's conference (since it can now happen unhindered). He wishes he could try to save Kurisu, but he can't - not until anti-WWIII Suzuha arrives with to let him physically time-travel (and put Kurisu in a red puddle). Blah blah S;G0 and S;G True End
>>
>>143530278
>Because SERN eventually finding the text is a possible event,
That is not how worldlines work. Worldlines depend on a theory of physics in which there is no such thing as a "possible event"; all events that can happen will happen, and are determined to happen. You cannot describe different possibilities using worldlines.

>To get back to AFB, Okabe can delete the first D-Mail
But deleting the first D-mail was always a part of Attractor Field Alpha. If an event that would have prevented anti-SERN Suzuha is part of a worldline, anti-SERN Suzuha cannot exist at any point on that worldline. In any worldline where anti-SERN Suzuha appears, SERN takes over the world.
>>
>>143530278
Already found a hole here. Why would SERN being able to find the first D-Mail and anti-SERN Suzuha's crash take priority over Nakabachi's conference and its sooner consequences? It doesn't make sense with your interpretation but does with S;G's rules, which break themselves later
>>
>>143527641
Remember what caused the street to clear and the conference to be called off? The dodgy arrival of the FG-204 the day prior. Without the text being found by SERN, the entire chain of cause and effect that leads to that moment is severed before it even begins.
>>
>>143530473
And another thing: Okabe deleting the D-mail prevents anti-SERN Suzuha from crashing and causes Kurisu's death. Unless they're acts of time travel, future events cannot affect past events. Deleting the D-mail is not an act of time travel, no matter how it affects any future time-travel related events.
>>
>>143530015

>the VN breaks its own rules here. If the worldline changed every time a significant event happened, it would have changed when Okabe saw Kurisu's body or got the Metal Upa.

Didn't they have the Phonewave on during the deletion of the text? I distinctly remember hearing the sound effect for the turntable and microwave as Okabe hit [Enter].
>>
>>143530566
>Only time travel can switch worldlines
While this topic has become a lot less clear due to spinoffs being retarded, there was nothing to suggest that several important historical turning points were influenced by time travel. S;G0 may contradict me on this but the Soviet Union falling in 1991 was considered a significant splitting point. Same for Y2K either happening or not happening.
>>
>>143530716

I thought those were considered major events at which attractor fields would exist simply due to the nature of those events where large amounts of people and resources at those times were directed towards the same thing or circumstances affected large numbers of people in similar fashion.
>>
>>143523489
>>
>>143530278
>Okabe being too much of a pussy to check if she's alright or not initially saved the future
Apex kek.
>>
>>143530616
But they didn't send the deletion command through the PhoneWave. How would that even work?
>>143530716
Worldline divergence != switching worldlines.
>>
>>143523489
Seriously thinking about not watching an anime becasue it's adapted from VN?
>>
>>143530872
>But they didn't send the deletion command through the PhoneWave. How would that even work?
By sending a text of opposite resonance to cancel out and delete the first D-mail floating through time, of course! Which didn't happen, but with some other adjustments might have made a sensical time travel story
>>
>>143530951
OP doesn't know what a visual novel is. He thinks he's about to watch an anime like Pokémon or something.
>>
>>143523489
>So is it worth the time or should I just move on to other things?+ 0 post omitted.
if you can't tell it's going to be brilliant by the end of ep1 you need to watch more anime until you can tell shit from brilliant. (and no, naruto is not brilliant)
>>
>>143530473
Maybe some worldlines' destined events include Okabe's messing with time and his Reading Steiner? Like the worldline at the start of the story only makes sense when a "future Alpha-experienced Okabe" gets involved, but another worldline in Beta would have Kurisu legitimately die at Nakabachi's hands resulting in WWIII (with Okabe doing nothing, actually checking her pulse, whatever since it doesn't matter)

Actually, no, nothing above explains shit. Let's cop out with whatever the characters think they know about attractor fields, worldlines, Reading Steiner, etc. is unreliable and only serves as theories
>>
I'm not sure why it's so hard for you guys to understand. Alpha exists because SERN captures Okabe's first d-mail. If he deletes it before they've ever read it, it reverts to beta. I imagine if someone time travelled and physically deleted someone's d-mail before they could ever read it, it would have a similar effect.
>>
>>143531726

But they aren't deleting the Dmail in the Alpha wordline, only the Beta one. Isn't that the problem?
>>
>>143531726
Shouldn't the D-Mail still exist in Beta but mean shit as Nakabachi's actions lead to WWIII before SERN can do anything? Then it'd have to be Alpha exists because anti-SERN Suzuha cancels Nakabachi's conference, which is nonsense if you look too deep
>>
>>143532682
I'm confused by your question, are you getting your world lines right? Beta is the one they start out in and are trying to get back to, Alpha is the one they spend most of the story in.
>>
>>143532708
Following that logic, the first D-mail shouldn't exist in Alpha because Okabe didn't get to see Kurisu dead/"dead" as Nakabachi's conference never happened. It and other things makes sense if the universe follows Okabe's perspective I guess, but not worldline theory
>>
Steiner? You in here?
>>
>>143533761
Steiner is asleep
>>
Nothing really happens in the first half but it's interesting to think about the possibilities and then they ignore circumstance for fate and worldlines. There are a few interesting developments with side characters which come from left field so it's a fun ride.
>>
>>143523489
Most VNs aren't really games, they are picture books.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.