[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the most overused* genre combo in anime and manga? 1.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 13
File: 1465647355222.jpg (246 KB, 528x800) Image search: [Google]
1465647355222.jpg
246 KB, 528x800
What is the most overused* genre combo in anime and manga?
1. shojo+ romance
2. shounen+ adventure
3. school life + romance + comedy
4. other

* - means there is too much of, not just the most. if you think the world could use more genre combo than don't choose it.
>>
>>143278244
>boy
>girl
>>
File: 23992046_p7.jpg (37 KB, 300x500) Image search: [Google]
23992046_p7.jpg
37 KB, 300x500
>>143278244
Elona is some based shit. I wouldn't mind watching a comfy sol Elona anime.

Little Sister would be popular on 4chan.
>>
>>143278244
isekai + harem
>>
>>143278531
It's not a genre.
yet.
>>
action+romance should trump all because they need a main heroine to flail around in nearly every shounen and she inevitably likes the MC yet he's dense and its never explored
The goal being to show the girl being cute and fan service with no plan of her ever doing anything.
>>
Write a good plot or setting for a good manga.

This is a fantasy thread now.
>>
>>143279576
Reverse isekai- an OP from a fantasy world is transported to a mundane world and learns how to be a salary men.
>>
>>143278279
>boy falls in love with girl
>girl falls in love with boy
>more girls fall in love with both
>harem hijinks ensue
>>
File: ed single.jpg (70 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
ed single.jpg
70 KB, 500x500
>>143280301
I beg to differ.
>>
>>143278244
>>143278453
I knew "Yowyn" sounded familiar. An Elona manga would be the most bizarre shit ever.
>>
>>143280301
>both
fuck, meant to say boy
>>
>>143280214
Also, he get an harem of BOYS that just want him to suck their dicks.
>>
File: Elona mythology.jpg (702 KB, 1460x1500) Image search: [Google]
Elona mythology.jpg
702 KB, 1460x1500
>>143280526
What if it focus of the more normal aspects of elona, like the pantheon?

Ehekatl
- thinks she's a cat!
- wants to play with Lulwy
- feels nostalgic towards Kumiromi
- treats Mani like a nice warm bed
- likes to get food from Jure
- equates Opatos with earthquakes
- is nervous near Itzpalt

Lulwy
- thinks she isn't wanted
- doesn't understand Ehekatl but likes to sic her on Mani
- has a love-hate relationship with Mani
- likes to tease Jure
- likes to tease Kumiromi, but gets no reaction
- thinks Opatos is annoying
- thinks Itzpalt is annyoying

Kumiromi
- views himself as a guardian
- treasures Ehekatl, his former lover
- wishes Mani would make him some farming tools
- neutral towards everyone else

Mani
- views himself as talented and normal
- is cold towards Lulwy, but afraid of her
- bad with Ehekatl
- thinks Kumiromi is a good kid
- views Jure as an obstacle to his ambition
- views Itzpalt as a rival and annoying old man
- thinks Opatos is too loud

Jure
- lacks self-confidence
- admires Itzpalt
- scared of Mani-niisan
- bad with Lulwy-neesan
- jealous of Ehekatl's "size" but can't hate her
- likes to unload her mental burdens on Kumiromi
- thinks Opatos is a pervert

Itzpalt
- views himself as a gentleman and the leader
- thinks Jure and Kumiromi are good kids
- views Opatos as his comrade-in-arms
- thinks Ehekatl is cute
- thinks Lulwy is a bitch
- thinks Mani is a brat

Opatos
- doesn't like to think about himself
- thinks everyone is his comrade, but Itzpalt most of all
- mezmerized by Ehekatl's "assets"

tough i still need to see where yachtect comes here.
>>
>>143280526
There is one. I don't think its translated, but NoA linked it.

>tfw the artist who did these illustrations deleted their pixiv account.
>tfw NoA will never finish ELIN, a successor and sequel to ELONA.
>>
>>143280674
but all the fun in elona IS the weird stuff that happens there. we don't need another castle town dandalion.

...well, maybe we do.
>>
File: Exile Waifu.jpg (410 KB, 840x525) Image search: [Google]
Exile Waifu.jpg
410 KB, 840x525
This your waifu for the night. What do?
>>
File: younger sister.jpg (238 KB, 850x769) Image search: [Google]
younger sister.jpg
238 KB, 850x769
>>143281404
Read younger sister diary.
>>
>Hunting quest
>trying out this new spell, meteor
>hilarity ensues
>also, <little sister> dies

but seriously, yaoi + anything
>>
>>143280301
>boy falls in love with girl
>deus ex machina
>alternate universe
>hijinks
>DRAMA
>NATURE OF LOVE
>>
>>143278244
>shoujo/shounen
>genre
>>
>>143284007
not this shit again
>>
>>143280754
Elona was too good for this world.
>>
>>143278244
ink + paper
>>
>>143280301

It's called Ai Yori Aoshi.
>>
>>143285825
he was talking about stuff that ware overused not a single instance of them
i think
>>
>>143285132
Maybe people should just stop confusing genres with demographics instead.
>>
>>143286532
maybe people should stop confusing genres with themes as well.
>>
>>143278244
Shoujo and shounen aren't genres, you fucking retard. I don't even know how a combination like that can be overused, anyway - "There are too many romance series targeted at all girls, and this annoys me even though there are literally tens of thousands of other series I could read instead"?
>>
>>143288165
>all
I don't know how that got there, ignore it.
>>
>>143288165
calm down dude
you might as well you don't know why harem stories are overused. its not like there hundrends already.

also, what DOES count as genre? if themes can be genre, why not demographic- after all, aside from the published medium, there really IS differeance between shojo romance and shounen romance, shounen adventure and seinen adventure, shojo smut and josei smut.
>>
>>143278244
>tfw I want to write a WN/LN, better than the ones nips make.
>tfw I'm scared nobody will read it.
>>
>>143288558
A genre is defined by content. Demographic bears no definite relation to content. Demographics aren't genres.

Also, type in proper English, you fucking mongoloid.
>>
>>143278244

school + romance + anything
>>
>>143288885
>Demographic bears no definite relation to content
there IS a differeance between shojo romance and shounen romance, shounen adventure and seinen adventure, shojo smut and josei smut.
>>
>>143288654

Pretend you are translating it. Weeaboos will gobble every shit coming from japan.
>>
>>143288934
Won't they find out eventually its not from Japan?
>>
>>143279576
An enchanted suit of armour protects and guides a young girl across a wartorn and monster-stricken country.
>>
>>143288928
>there IS a differeance between shojo romance and shounen romance, shounen adventure and seinen adventure, shojo smut and josei smut.
Demographic bears no definite relation to content.
>>
>>143289165
>definite
just because you can't point the finger on it doesn't mean it isn't there. if i gave you a story you could guess the demographic by reading it. thats definitive enough.
>>
>>143289258
>thats definitive enough
No, it's fucking not. "This demographic is more likely to have certain features" is fundamentally different from "this genre has certain features by definition." Genre describes content, while demographic describes an external marketing decision that often relies upon content in widely varying ways. They are not the same thing, as you would realize if you had above a third-grade grasp of the English language.
>>
>>143289352
next you gonna say all magical girl works are happy and cheery and that all harem are silly and nonsensical.
it's you who, despite his good grasp of the english langeuege, can't admit defeat in front of the too-complicated-for-words features that define the demographic type genres.

anyway:
shounen- childish
shojo- intuistic
seinen- rational
josei- emotional

while not 100% accurate on english, those do good to describe the genre-demographic... but not as good as the original words themselves.
>>
>>143280301
Last part is complete optional.
>>
>>143289495
>next you gonna say all magical girl works are happy and cheery and that all harem are silly and nonsensical.
No, but all magical girl series have magical girls, and all harems have harems. That's how it fucking works - the genres are defined by content, the demographics are not.
>>
>>143289495
Not that anon, but the magical girl genre by definition must have at least a magical girl as a main character, and harems must have three or more person in love with the main character.

Shonen, on the other hand, doesn't have to be childish, Seinen doesn't have to be rational, and so on. Case in point: Chichikogusa for shonen and K-ON! for seinen.

They are very different, one's about expectations and one's about strict definitions.
>>
>>143289495
>those fucking descriptions
You're an absolute retard, and not just because you think "intuistic" is a word.
>>
>>143289575
and all shounen mangas are for kids and all seinen mangas are for adults.
that does influance the content.

leet me put it this way mister english:
'idea' is a noun even tough it has no physical form. 'shounen' genre doesn't manifest in the work with physical objects like 'comedy' genre, but with metaphysical ideas and themes.

>>143289637
there are magical girls works with only boys. your point?
>>
>>143289495
>intuistic
>langeuege
4chan is an 18+ website, fuck off.
>>
>>143289672
>there are magical girls works with only boys
Those aren't called Mahou Shoujo shows, anon.
>>
>>143289672
>and all shounen mangas are for kids and all seinen mangas are for adults.
Which are matters of intended market, not content.

>>143289672
>'idea' is a noun even tough it has no physical form. 'shounen' genre doesn't manifest in the work with physical objects like 'comedy' genre, but with metaphysical ideas and themes.
Those are still matters of content. Which are not pat of the definition of shounen.
>>143289672
>there are magical girls works with only boys. your point?
No, those are by definition not mahou shoujo.

Seriously, kill yourself.
>>
>>143278244
SoL and Anything
>>
>>143289730
>pat
part
>>
>>143289672
>mangas
>influance
>leet

Stop posting.
>>
>>143278244
OP + faggot
>>
>>143280301
for a second there I thought you were going for that forced as fuck meme.
>>
>>143289655
you are welcome to refine them.

>>143289690
>ad hominem
4chan is an 18+ website, fuck off.

>>143289720
what about magical girls with sceince instead of magic?

>>143289730
>pat
do what
>>143289782
said and stop posting.

serious answer:
intended market and content cannot be seperated.
>those are by definition not mahou shojo
and mature mangas are by definition not shounen.

>Seriously, kill yourself.
is this the first time you lost an argument, or is it that the thought of losing an argument to someone with inferior english that upsets you?
>>
File: 1466200483747.jpg (446 KB, 1286x796) Image search: [Google]
1466200483747.jpg
446 KB, 1286x796
Can we go back to elona?
>>
>>143278244
>Fantasy+Harem
>>
>>143290998
>what about magical girls with sceince instead of magic?
What, like Pleiades? I'm not sure that I follow you here, can you name examples?

Anyway, a work can contain multiple genres. Unless it's written in hard science, which I very much doubt, some sci-fi elements can easily be placed as the in-work reasoning of how the "magical" part of the magical girl works.

Also, please at least attempt to use proper capital letters, it makes your posts and as a side effect your arguments to be taken more seriously.
>>
>>143291127
Tell me about it, sounds like a really neat thing.
>>
>>143291242
>can you name examples?
Like Symphogear

Sci-fi is never hard science, but if its science than it isn't magic.
>>
>>143291127
The loli in Yowyn is spooky
>>
>>143291400
>Sci-fi is never hard science
Sure it can be, Sci-fi is split between Hard Sci-fi and Soft Sci-fi to begin with, it's like the main thing about it, you know. For examples outside anime, Clarke sometimes uses Hard, while Asimov uses Soft. Planetes leans more towards hard, while Lain leans towards soft.

Symphogear can't even be considered only Sci-fi, it's Science-Fantasy. All those "scientific" reasoning that isn't even remotely based on real science can't seriously be considered science, it's magic.
>>
>>143291291
It's a rogue-like game with many sandbox elements. You can go out killing monsters, starting a farm, opening a shop, eat people, breed with anything, ride dinosaurs, craft lightsabers and probably anything you can think of. The game library is open and you can easily change sprites in fucking paint, change background music, change npc dialogue and a lot more.

The base game, that is when you ignore all the added features, is just basicly you go around exploring dangerous dungeons to advance the plot. The base combat system is turn based, and the variaty of spells and abilities is quite large.

You can wield panties as weapons in this game.
You can pickpocket panties in this game. (But only ones wielded as weapons, sadly)

>>143291514
She grow Up after act 1. Than she really becomes spooky.
>>
>>143291604
Does it age well? I think it came out somewhere around 2006, right?

Also, how deep is it? It's been a while since I've played stuff with balls deep mechanics, outside of those old-ish grand strategies.
>>
File: 1466714319081.png (353 KB, 1296x806) Image search: [Google]
1466714319081.png
353 KB, 1296x806
>>143291658
>Does it age well?
Yes. From day one it wasn't about graphics, and there are constant updates and new features- only recently you could actually use the book case to store books for example.

>how deep is it?
If you are talking about mechanics, there are many calculations put in this game. for example, the damage of magic dart relies on:
your magic stat
magic dart level (it levels up if you use it more)
your magic resistance
enemy magic resistance

Also, there is casting chance influenced by
your casting skill
magic dart level
equipment weight
using shields or dual wielding

And that's without taking into account various other effects like wearing equipment that powers up your spell or using actions that boost up your spells
>>
>>143280214
Maou-sama.
>>
>>143291878
Alright, last question, is there a lot of things to do in the game or is it more like to be played once in a while?
>>
>>143291929
There are enough to do in thi game to make you put the main quest on hold.
>>
>>143292122
Alright, I'm sold, thanks anon.
>>
>>143292122
Don't do it.
The game is actually a farming simulator
>>
>>143292150
>Farming simulators
If you mean actual farming, then fuck yeah dude.

If you mean grinding, considering I've played one of those shitty mobages and chinese MMOs for god knows what reason, I think I'll be fine, as long as it panders to me in some aspects at least.
>>
>>143292150
>I get my potential from herbs
Just teach one of your pets cooking. or invest in magic shops till they start selling potions of potential. only perfectionists try to have it to the max.
>>
>>143292221
In the game, stats have 'potential'
Stats with high potential raise quickly, stats with low potential raise slowly
Whenever a stat raises, it loses some potential
If just play it like a normal rpg, chances are your potential will fall to the single digits and your stats will take forever to raise
A good way to raise stats is trough herbs
A good way to get herbs is trough farming
So the method goes like this:
1. Go to Yowyn and do farming quests to get herb seeds
2. Go to your farm (buy one if you don't have one)
3. Plant seeds (its better when it rains, and its better if you have the gardening skill)
4. Do whatever the fuck you want for a few days
5. Come back for your herbs.
>>
>>143292515
>A good way to raise stats is trough herbs
*A good way to raise stat potential is trough herbs
>>
>>143292539
How is it good to raise potential through herbs when herbs exercise the attributes and that reduces it?
>>
>>143292661
Herbs raise the potential, not the stats themselves, hence the correction.
>>
>>143292707
I'm pretty sure even normal herbs still raise your stats, just slower, I mean, when I feed my pets curarias their attributes go up and their potential goes down.
>>
>>143292736
consumables work differently for pets.
the amount herb trains stats is much higher for pets, hance the fall in potential.

to raise potential for pets, give them the gems you find. blessed potions of potential also helps.

word of advice: keep your curarias in the fridge, for future herb-in.
>>
>>143292892
Herbs never rot, and why would you ever waste potions of potential on pets, I can't imagine why you'd ever use that, except late game if you're leveling some super high level pet, just giving them money is much easier.
>>
>>143292957
How do you give money to pets? i know you can give items (and gems for them to sell), but not gold
>>
>>143293018
You can pickpocket a kitty bank in noyel, and that comes back every week along with the town reset. Pickpocket helps, I just tend to use kitty banks, but I barely use pets because that starts to eat into my own herb supply.
>>
>>143293097
>kitty banks
Qquite a trouble.

btw, bread and candies do not rot either. neither do potatos, and i think corn is immune as well.
i let my pets get herbs because it much more economical that way, when taking the overall stat gain to my party.
The pets are mainly doing the fighting anyway while I provide support according to the situation, so it'd make sense to give them the brute force option while I analyze the best action for the situation- or just collect the loot- from behind.
>>
>>143293292
It's better to do this in the elona general, but whatever, I did mainly feed the herbs to my pets, but I am grew too weak, so now I just go solo to max experience.
>>
>>143293359
im still relying on my pet cooking. my potential is mainly 'good' . level 42. you?
>>
>>143293419
My potential is superb, and I'm level 78. If you get a bunch of magic vendors in your house at rank 100 or higher you'll always have at least 200% potential easily.
>>
>>143293473
Well, im not power leveling, just kinda screwing around.
I'm near palmia, but a single vendor isn't steady suply
i got a single black market at my house, im waiting for a living weapon. still ways to go.

Well, next on my to do list is evolving my younger sister. after that, ill keep screwing around and have fun.
>>
Anyone playing Elona +?
What does AP do?
>>
File: elona waifus.jpg (2 MB, 3044x2214) Image search: [Google]
elona waifus.jpg
2 MB, 3044x2214
>>143294859
you use it to enhanch your character after you finish lasimas and advance to the 2nd part of the game
>>
>>143291886
Doesn't count, in the end we ware back to 'MC is OP' shangians
>>
File: yawn.jpg (77 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
yawn.jpg
77 KB, 1280x720
>>143278244
definitely action + adventure
>>
>>143278244
>genre
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.