[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Paranoia Agent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7
File: a_ma_005.jpg (63 KB, 372x236) Image search: [Google]
a_ma_005.jpg
63 KB, 372x236
What does /a/ think?
>>
>>143231871
split personality girl was best girl.
>>
A masterpiece.
>>
>>143231871
I think that OP is still stuck in my head after all these years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XjTpm9coJA
>>
Great, just like its OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtWJM25FwU0
>>
File: 1418687715722.gif (698 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1418687715722.gif
698 KB, 480x270
>>
I thought it was good but disjoint. The beginning of the show led you to believe that there would be a real mystery or something going on rather than pure surrealism. Like alot of the anime he has made there is no inherent logic to what is happening everything is totally bonkers and he uses this to promote whatever message or theme he has there. Sometimes this works but in this case since the first part of the show wasnt totally crazy it feels like perfect blue for the first third, paprika for the last third, and just total trash in the middle third with all of those filler episodes. I feel this would be better as a MOVIE with no filler and being right in your face with its intentions.
>>
or maybe it was just too deep for me but I dont know how you who would say that can justify the filler episodes which besides that slightly amusing suicide one were all awful
>>
I wish MADHOUSE did animation like this still.
>>
>>143232278
Wait, you didn't like the animation studio episode?
>>
>>143232377
Nope. For me the filler episodes detracted from the main mystery they set up in the beginning. Theres a strong difference between the episodes in the beginning which developed the "seemingly unrelated people" backstories and the filler episodes in the middle. I don't think the latter filler episodes added anything to the overall show, and if you are marathoning the show they just totally fuck the pacing.
>>
>>143232204
>The beginning of the show led you to believe that there would be a real mystery or something going on rather than pure surrealism.
That's only if you didn't pay attention. Episode 1 is full of hints and clues about what is truly going on.
If a talking mascot doesn't clue you in about the surrealism then what will?
>>
Entry level normy anime.
>>
>>143232447
>I don't think the latter filler episodes added anything to the overall show
I think they do by virtue of being awesome standalone eps.
>>
File: cap.jpg (152 KB, 604x602) Image search: [Google]
cap.jpg
152 KB, 604x602
>>143232155
>HI. ENJOY THE MUSIC.
>>
>>143232487
Theres a very clear difference between surrealism that can be explained within logic of the story or minor surrealism and complete off the walls, no world logic surrealism. For example Perfect Blue is also certainly strongly surrealistic, but since it is clearly related to hallucinations, the viewer tries to discern the truth and asks "what is happening in reality". In off the walls surrealism, that question is irrelevant because the plot and the anime world is not following any kind of logic it has set before itself. This can make characters behave unrealistically, a natural consequence of putting them in impossible situations, and create inconsistent tone of the scale of such surrealism is many magnitudes higher than what was shown before. Most importantly, it just makes some viewers not CARE about whats going to happen next because theres no consequence to the plot events since the world doesnt need to operate by remotely reasonable laws
>>
The fat rapist ruined my enjoyment for a while but it was pretty good.
Suicide episode was the best one.
>>
>>143232736
I don't think what we see in Paranoia agent's main plot (Tsukiko/Shounen Bat/Maromi/the cops/etc...) is "off the walls", it's following its own consistent logic and adequately foreshadows stuff.
You can pick up very early on that Shounen bat just like Maromi is created by Tsukiko and not a "real culprit" that is going to be arrested.
>>
That ending was too deep for me.

Everything else was alright to pretty good. Obviously the suicide episode was well done.
>>
File: 1377113950219.jpg (56 KB, 449x642) Image search: [Google]
1377113950219.jpg
56 KB, 449x642
>>143231871
I don't even remember what the story was about, even though i remember liking it somewhat.
>>
>>143232620
Agreed. Perfect episodes to go back to
>>
>>143232964
No, there is no logic whatsoever. The city consumed by a gigantic mass of black and recovering from it should have been evidence enough. The world of this anime is just a tool of symbolism, it is not a real functioning crafted universe like in other anime. And figuring out the mystery beforehand has nothing to do with that, because at that early stage in the show the viewer can only conjecture, and even then no viewer would think that the shonen bat phenomenon would grow into a literal all consuming mass of black, because such a degree of fiction was never foreshadowed.
>>
The filler episodes are recent by showing the breakdown from multiple points of view. Otherwise the whole "society is becoming collectively delusional" is just a stated message and not reinforced.
>>
>>143234213
Relevant, not recent.
>>
The suicide episode is one of the best single episodes of all time.

I think I started to appreciate the show as a whole more after reading some long article in a Japanese newspaper suggesting an interesting interpretation to do with national/cultural fuckedupedness, but I can't remember what it was called. I'll post it if I can find it.
>>
>>143231871

If it's regarded critically as great or a classic odds are /a/ will shit on it.
>>
>>143234029
>No, there is no logic whatsoever.
Yeah there is.
>The world of this anime is just a tool of symbolism
There's logic behind that too.
>it is not a real functioning crafted universe like in other anime.
Seems to be perfectly functioning to me.
> no viewer would think that the shonen bat phenomenon would grow into a literal all consuming mass of black
And why is that bad? As long as that is explained gradually over the course of the show (and it is) that should be no problem.
>such a degree of fiction was never foreshadowed.
You don't have to (and can't) foreshadow everything with 100% precision.
My point was that shounen bat not being real and a degree of surrealism was adequately presented in ep 1. Therefore the rest of the show shouldn't appear "totally bonker" "illogic" or "off the walls surrealist" to you.
Sure there's plenty of symbolism, some deeper message about japanese culture, but even on the surface it tells a coherent story.
>>
>>143234279
Is it this one?
https://sittingonanatomicbomb.com/2010/08/27/the-true-brilliance-of-paranoia-agent-and-why-its-all-about-the-bomb/
>>
>>143234478
Yep, thanks. Been meaning to reread it for a while.
>>
>>143231871
The only anime that legitimately creeped me out. Horror done right. It's amazing.
>>
I think it would have been better if some of the stand alone episodes were released as separate OVAs and the main plot was streamlined into only 8-10 episodes.

That way the viewer isn't required to piece together disjointed aspects of the opening and ending episodes (or alternately re-watch the thing) in order to make sure that the plot has internal consistency.

Still a very good series though - not as good as Satoshi Kon's big 3 films.
>>
>>143234478
Interesting read. I hadn't seen Japan's culture shift through that lens before.
>>
File: 1447601036753.webm (889 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1447601036753.webm
889 KB, 320x240
>>143234478
>Nanking
>>
>>143231871
Why not just get a new bat?
>>
>>143232015
\thread.
>>
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYEEEEEEEEEYAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOHOHEHOHEHAY
>>
>>143231871
It's really good, but it puts huge focus on the central theme, and that theme is pretty simplistic.
>>
I rewatched it this year, after considering it one of my favorite anime for years (without a rewatch).

It's still good, and great for its time, but I feel like Satoshi Kon was eclipsed by his spiritual successor, Masaaki Yuasa.

I can't stand that early 00's flatness to the colors too. Actually, most Madhouse shows from that time were great, but suffered the same problem. It was just that rough patch where digital technology was relied upon a bit too much - American comics went through the same problem, and I can't read any from 98-2005 for much the same reason.
>>
>>143234429
Theres no logic because the anime isn't subscribing to any rules. Theres no real world consequence to the actions of the characters and the events of the story. How can you even argue that?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.