[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>character literally says "okay" >subs translate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
File: 1419449382321.gif (728 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1419449382321.gif
728 KB, 480x270
>character literally says "okay"
>subs translate it as "all right"
>>
epic thread with an epic OP pic
>>
File: 432423.png (167 KB, 321x317) Image search: [Google]
432423.png
167 KB, 321x317
>>143152251
>character is an evil demon lord super powered magic beast
>casually jokes around about murdering people and hell and torture
>doesn't even understand the implications
>has a snaggle tooth

Also:
>MC's name is raul
>raul
>fucking raul
>RAUL
>FUCKING
>CHASER
>>
>says Crazy Diamond
>reads Shining Diamond
This bugs me
>>
>character says "bai bai"
>subs say "see you later"
>>
>character says "Moo"
>subs say "Moo"
>>
>says mama
>read as "mother"
>>
>>143152251
>Character says oi
>Subs say hey
>>
>>143152763
It's almost like the same phrases have different connotations in different languages
>>
>>143152251
The one that bugs me:
> Character says "itadakimasu!"
> Subs say "bon appétit"...
ಠ_ಠ
>>
>>143153493
How would you like that to be subbed? "I humbly receive this?"
>>
>character says "bitch"
>subs translate it to "bitch"
>>
>>143153570
"Rub-a-dub-dub, thanks for the grub!"
>>
>>143153570
Nah, you're right it doesn't translate, but why bother changing it at all, if you're going to change it to something that still isn't even English? Seems silly, swapping one foreign word out for another. Usually subs say something like "let's eat" or "thanks for the food" depending on context -- if they don't just leave it as "itadakimasu" and assume someone watching anime knows what that means.
>>
File: UNQUANTIFIABLE_EXCITMENT.jpg (167 KB, 938x632) Image search: [Google]
UNQUANTIFIABLE_EXCITMENT.jpg
167 KB, 938x632
>>143153696
>>
>>143152715
This stands name is Show Off!
>>
>>143152251
>character literally says "kimochi warui"
>subs translate it as "i feel sick"
>>
>>143153717
>why bother changing it at all, if you're going to change it to something that still isn't even English?
Well, at that point they've translated "enough." Bon Appétit is something even a Flyover American can reasonably be expected to understand at least by context association because it's so ubiquitous in the language. Like tsunami; English has an equivalent that's the same number of syllables even, but will anyone flip their shit if you use the Nip word? Nope. Will everyone know you meant "tidal wave?" Yup. It's English enough, no reason to translate it.

It's really a matter of taste and audience. The phrase doesn't translate well besides and Bon Appétit is something a native English speaker might actually say, unlike itadakimasu.
>>
>character grunts
>subs provide a full, completed sentence
>>
>official TL leaves "dori" untranslated
>>
>>143153570

Amen.
>>
>character talks in Japanese
>supposedly English subs show Latin
>>
>>143153570
Let's eat works
>>143153696
Or this
>>
File: 1460873396289.jpg (5 KB, 150x137) Image search: [Google]
1460873396289.jpg
5 KB, 150x137
>character uses extremely common Japanese word that has an exact, common English equivalent
>subs say something entirely different
Fuckin hipsters
>>
File: image.png (146 KB, 295x327) Image search: [Google]
image.png
146 KB, 295x327
>>143152715
To be fair they have to avoid copyright issues with JoJo but it becomes way more apparent from Part 4 onwards when every Stand has a musical reference for it's name. CR could at least TRY to come up with better names. Calling Bad Company 'Worse Company' is so pathetic it actually becomes funny. Plus they don't need to change names like Surface but they do anyway.
>>
>>143153696
I can see Brook from One Piece saying that.
>>
>>143154612
Copyright has nothing to do with it. If the names were trademarked that'd be one thing, but they're not. I'm guessing it's either some dumb translator or manager that saw parodied brand names in anime before (names that are actually trademarked) and thought that they had to do that for everything. Or they just don't want to take the chance so they just blindly apply their dumb policy to everything.
>>
>>143154612
As for the name changes, I'm always stuck between hating them or laughing at how, well, laughable they are.
I know it's not done by the same people, but I wish they could keep consistent with the ASB name changes though. Did they really need to change "Trussardi" and RE-rename Pearl Jam?

I miss you, Commie.
>>
>>143155987
I think the name "Show Off" is better than "Surface."
>>
>>143152251
>character says suki
>sub says love
>>
>>143153993
Not that anon, any not trying to be autistic here, but isn't bon appetit said by the person who made or is serving the food? Itadakimasu, however, is said by the person eating the food. I don't think someone would say bon appetit to themselves, which means using that as translation for itadakimasu wouldn't work.

"Let's eat" would be suffice on many situations.
>>
>>143156336
Aaaand I guess those errors show that I really need to get some sleep.
>>
>>143153993
Tsunamis aren't tidal waves; they have nothing to do with tides. Tsunamis are the result of seismic activity. The English language did not have a term for such waves until 'tsunami' was lifted from Japanese.
>>
>>143153925
Fucking Re:Zero, the subs for that show are so bad.
>>
>>143154612
>The name went from Bad to Worse
That's not pathetic, that's fucking GREAT.

Some GOOD SHIT. I want to high-five whoever came up with that one.
>>
i hate when they translate mythological/fantasy term to some barely similar english concept, like youkai->goblin
>>
>>143156336
True, I seem to have gotten that reversed somewhere. The point does stand in general though.

>>143156533
>Tsunamis aren't tidal waves; they have nothing to do with tides.
First result on dictionary.com says otherwise. The two are interchangeable most of the time you hear them used.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.