[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you feel anime struggles with the horror genre?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 12
File: horroranime2feature-770x470.jpg (115 KB, 770x470) Image search: [Google]
horroranime2feature-770x470.jpg
115 KB, 770x470
Do you feel anime struggles with the horror genre?
>>
File: yusei3.gif (87 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
yusei3.gif
87 KB, 500x281
>>143094695
deadman and another isn't horror it's just bunch of gore shit
>>
>>143094821
What horror anime isn't goreshit?
Even Berserk at its most horrific moments is goreshit.
>>
>>143094695
Just read horror manga
>>
>>143094962
I want to know why manga does it so much better.
>>
>>143094695
see >>143094962
"Horror" anime has the same problem of any horror television show. Too much stuff going on during episodes to focus on actually scaring the audience and not tailoring their aesthetics to get people in the mood. The japanese can do effective horror but iif you look at the movie format where you can control tension and pacing and build up a sense of dread in teh audience, television is going to force you to put out an episode a week which kills any feelings of terror you can instill in the audience. I've seen some good OVA's that are horrifying but that's 40 minutes of unbroken buildup.

I don't think there's a single tv series that manages to keep a sense of dread across multiple episodes that well. Things like mystery and anticipation are easy enough but scaring people over that long a timeframe is a problem nobody has been able to solve effectively.
>>
Another is a comedy.
Deadman Wonderland is a battle shounen.
>>
>>143095238
this and
>>143094962
desu sempai
>>
Horror is the most childish genre either way. Not sure how you can suffer with it. Fictional things just aren't scary.
>>
>>143094821
Horror is gore most of the time for some reason. Real horror is pretty rare even in live action movies. I don't think Deadman wonderland is supposed to be horror anyway.

>>143095238
>television is going to force you to put out an episode a week which kills any feelings of terror
Thats true. Makes total sense.

>>143095334
Kill yourself.
>>
Horror in general is tough to do well. I wouldn't say it's a problem unique to this medium.
>>
>>143095381
Nah, moralizing stuff and fairy tales, designed to instruct and entertain children.

Horror isn't necessarily the most lofty genre anyway, but a lot of the most so called literary stuff is haughtily self satisfied intellectual wankery and posturing.
>>
>>143097912
moralizing stuff is still one tier above things that have no depth.
>>
>>143094695
Horror is best done in an episodic fashion. It'd be successful if they did a show with multiple short stories kinda like Jigoku Shoujo or Shigofumi but with horror as the goal
>>
>>143097939
if we're going to talk about things that have no depth then action series would probably be the most childish genre desu
>>
>>143098003
Action scenes is such a broad generalization but are you implying they have no depth?
>>
>>143094695
I've been scared once or twice in anime like in Gintama where there's that scary story on the radio and Btoom! where the MC wakes up and there's some undead looking nurse look at him.

Horror anime can be done, it's just that it needs a little more finesse than stuff like SoL or shounen anime but studios even struggle creating those(see: Kiznaiver and Kabaneri) so you can see how nips can't create horror anime for shit.

Horror manga is a different story.
>>
>>143094821
Not even gore, it's just violent as 80s shonen used to be and yet even JoJo has a more grotesque gore.
>>
Just finished Berserk and gotta say that the last three episodes disturbed the shit out of me.
>>
>>143098013
That is what I'm implying, yes
inb4 hxh
>>
I feel like the generic anime art style would take away from all the tension.

If a horror anime is done it needs harsh colours and an art style like Ping Pong or something.
>>
File: NOPE.png (185 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
NOPE.png
185 KB, 600x338
Its just plain hard to do horror in an anime setting

Shows like Shiki and Higurashi work more because of the mystery, that's why you keep coming back, but I wouldn't call it horror. Pretty much explains why Mayoihga bommed so hard, there just wasn't much mystery to go on

Short anime like Kagewani or Yami Shibai do work more because they're so short but both of these shows dropped the ball in following seasons.

That episode 6 of the first season of Kagewani with the Cthulu creature spooked the fuck out of me, but that's because deep water and cthulu mythology both interest and spook me, so that's why it worked for me personally, but overall it didn't spook me that much beside some cheap jumpscares

It's interesting how more horror/mystery anime is starting to appear again though so I'm hoping we get something good that lasts a while in the near future
>>
>>143094695
I enjoyed another desu and I liked its mystery as well.
>>
>>143098183
>It's interesting how more horror/mystery anime is starting to appear again though so I'm hoping we get something good that lasts a while in the near future
Is it actually a trend? I don't watch horror anime but the only one I've seen in recent seasonal charts is Kagewani.
>>
File: anon making bio weapon.jpg (285 KB, 800x573) Image search: [Google]
anon making bio weapon.jpg
285 KB, 800x573
>>143094821
this
>>
>>143094695
Another was pure disappointment for me

I forced myself to watch it because i'm a huge horror fan and everyone told me that it's a good horror anime but it sucks imo
>>
>>143098115
good choreographed action scenes do have depth anon, they also move the story forward
>>
>>143094695
Only time I remember I got kinda spooked was watching Seto no Hanayome OVA.
>>
>>143094695
As I say every time in these threads, Yami Shibai.
>>
Ghost Hunt was kinda ok in the tension department. I might be wrong though.
>>
File: 1464748936929.jpg (52 KB, 484x410) Image search: [Google]
1464748936929.jpg
52 KB, 484x410
>>143094695
The only good horror anime I've seen was Ghost Hunt and even then the arcs were hit and miss.
>>
>>143097977
see
>>143098183
>>
>>143094821

Deadman could have been horror if they kept the prison theme and be a more serious Superjail.

But then it went to typical fighting bullshit.
>>
anime are basically never scary
>>
I never watch horror, I watched Another with /a/ because you nerds told me it was comedy.
I have to admit it was pretty funny, specially the last 2 episodes
>>
File: elfen-lied-background1152.jpg (141 KB, 1550x870) Image search: [Google]
elfen-lied-background1152.jpg
141 KB, 1550x870
This one was scary as fuck though. Really fucking gorefest.
>>
I feel like the entire horror genre is dead, not just in anime.
>>
>>143094695
generally , i think horror works best as life action. or , in animation , using a more naturalistic style as a base , and then plunge it into the uncanny valley with the use of more abstracting devices (junji made lots of use of impressionist stylisation , such as in uzumaki). that being said , for horror to work well in anime , you would need a completely different style than what is commonplace in the industry. big shiny eyes and tiny face-horns simply dont help much (even though things like higurashi had a few good scenes)
>>
DW isn't horror and Another fell short of scaring me, which should go without saying.

Another was funny at times just based on how nonsensical the behaviour by some the characters was, but it also had interesting concepts which I was disappointed by when it came to execution.

But the bottom line is that it's impossible for anime to be scary because it's animated. Only movies and games can be genuinely scary because you can imagine yourself in that situation or as the character experiencing the events.

You can't put yourself in the shoes of some bug-eyed disproportioned, emotionless plot device surrounded by similarly freakish women. It just becomes laughable.
>>
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 480x480
>no one thinks your favourite anime is spooky

Feels bad
>>
I have heard that Another is so shit that it's entertaining, i watched the first ep and it was just garbage, does it become entertaining garbage?
>>
>>143099229
>I feel like the entire horror genre is dead, not just in anime.

You are kinda right but there has been a revival in horror films these last 2 years
>>
Clearly we need a Fuan no Tane OVA
>>
>>143099872
It becomes final destination
>>
Problems with anime horror
>Artstyle
>very generic anime character archetypes
>you don't like them as characters so you don't care when the horror happens
>Overuse of gore and blood/non realistic
>Giant blood showers makes it funny instead of disturbing
>Trying to make them as mainstream as possible and not hiring weirdos and experimenting more
>20 min eps, can be hard to build tension
>>
>>143100041
I own all the final destination movies so this is a good thing
>>
>>143094695
Another had me with the atmosphere in the first episode. I especially expected a jump scare the first time they went into the doll shop. Then nothing happened.

Horror movies terrify me. You couldn't pay me to watch any Western horror movie in a theater. But now that I think about it, I don't believe any anime has ever frightened me.
>>
>>143099872
>>143099872
The deaths are so shitty and absurd that would be a B-movie if was a live-action. Watch for some unintentional laughs, waifus and weird moments.
>>
Anime could do horror but they'd need really good, traditional animation and really good direction. It's just very difficult to do well and shitty horror anime is much worse than shitty action/SOL/mecha/whatever. There's also no real standard bearer when it comes to horror anime (maybe Higurashi?).

There are legitimately frightening scenes in anime though. The hallucination scene from Akira and a lot of the fiend scenes from Shinsekai Yori come to mind. The story of the fiend coming into the clinic and seeing the doctor was pretty scary.

I think anime generally has trouble breaking new ground because the production of anime is already such a risky undertaking financially speaking, so they tend to play it safe rather than branching out. Mayoiga deserves credit for at least trying to do something different, even if the results were laughable.
>>
>>143099833
Who are these boner condoners?
>>
Good horror anime is not happening until Franken Fran gets a high budget (old OVAs level at least) anime adaptation. So never.
>>
>>143099833
It went full retard with the bubble head chibi things

And then it just sort of went full adventure instead of Horror at the end
>>
File: 1369441855572.png (755 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1369441855572.png
755 KB, 1280x720
It'd be too hard without making it generic or the twist is the most obvious thing and the way Japan keep doing these old as fuck cliches in 2016 gives me no hope for them.
>>
>>143094962
Why can't they just adapt Junji Ito right?
>>
>>143094695
Video media in general struggles with the genre of horror.

Horror movies, horror anime, horror games to an extent, all really poorly execute horror. Also something something jumpscares are a meme something something
>>
File: image.jpg (216 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
216 KB, 480x480
>>143101529
O T 3
T

>>143101631
Yeah, people really hate those designs, at least they're not around forever.

I think it's the most tense horror atmosphere you'll find in anime along with Boogiepop Phantom. I die a little inside when I see shite like Another brought up first when horror anime is discussed.
>>
>>143094979
Animation makes things look stupid.

Look how much better the Mayoiga manga is than the animated TV show.
>>
>>143094695
Just because your stream website or whatever lists it as horror does not mean it is horror.
In fact, Another is a comedy.
>>
>>143103689
Try tried with Gyo. Look how well that turned out.

That being said, a good studio doing a "Junji Ito short story anthology" anime series would have the potential to be a really great thing.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzkclEo-B34
>>
Does Requiem from the Darkness count
>>
File: 1459398518275.jpg (328 KB, 1313x1833) Image search: [Google]
1459398518275.jpg
328 KB, 1313x1833
Can horror be lewd?
>>
Honestly, the only anime moments I can think of off the top of my head that were legitimately unnerving are sweater Lain and that fucking keyhole in Dennou Coil. The former because I was watching on a shitty nineties laptop at 3am, and the latter because it tweaks that primal parental instinct.
>>
>>143104811
It was nice, but I never found it scary.

Top tier OP, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmP2MFmkdNY
>>
>>143100554
>There are legitimately frightening scenes in anime though. The hallucination scene from Akira and a lot of the fiend scenes from Shinsekai Yori come to mind. The story of the fiend coming into the clinic and seeing the doctor was pretty scary.
Good examples. Parts of Kemonozume, Kaiba, Tekkonkinkreet, Dennou Coil, Lain, Kara no Kyoukai (especially 5) and Memories (Magnetic Rose) also got to me in one way or another. A bit further afield, The Second Renaissance has some legitimately terrifying and high-impact scenes.
>>
>>143099025
Ghost hunt was really scary at some parts.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (8 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
8 KB, 480x360
Is is my own confirmation bias or do western cartoons handle horror better?
>>
File: sekellyton.gif (478 KB, 499x379) Image search: [Google]
sekellyton.gif
478 KB, 499x379
>>143105205
name a horror anime scarier than this
>>
>>143105374
I won.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDATXtewPrg
>>
>>143099025
This. Exactly as you said some arcs felt like they were just normal detective stuff but others it was pretty spooky.
>>
>>143105433
Holy shit that was fuckin awesome
>>
>>143103762
>horror games
Even when severly lacking in artistry, VR horror games are the strongest horror medium there is from a lizard brain standpoint.
>>
To be desu honest with you most media struggles with the horror genre.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.