[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have anyone actually learnt Japanese and was it worthwhile?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4
File: theendisnigh.png (166 KB, 585x232) Image search: [Google]
theendisnigh.png
166 KB, 585x232
Have anyone actually learnt Japanese and was it worthwhile?
>>
the more I watch anime, the more I'm realizing i'm not even looking at subs anymore and can just understand basic ass phrases that are in every fucking anime ever
>>
/djt/ exists you know
>>
Slowly making my way through it. It's not so much for learning the language, it's so my memory doesn't go to shit.
>>
>>143044803
>the subs don't match up with the words
Maybe I should just learn nip
>>
I learned it and then forgot it, its not really worth it.
>>
I learned it in 3 months
then I realize English is still superior in the united states and I won't be needing this chong ching language for as long as i live
fuck you
>>
>>143044953
Actually, putting "knowing Japanese" in your resume is a really big plus in most corporate companies, not that you will ever apply for a job of course.
>>
I tried reading some untranslated doujinshi with an OCR program and was able to work out what most of the sentences meant with a bit of analysis. If I dedicated like a month of my time to learning it, I could probably pick it up naturally at this point.
>>
>>143045046
I didn't think of it as a resume addition. That's a pretty good reason to learn it honestly
>>
>>143045046
fuck you jobs are for wage slave pussy niggas
i applied for the army so i can slay you nips in ww3 as revenge for what you hentai people did in d-day
>>
>>143045114
E D G Y
D
G
Y
>>
File: 1369351468315.jpg (46 KB, 431x300) Image search: [Google]
1369351468315.jpg
46 KB, 431x300
>>143044953
>I learned it in 3 months
>>
I haven't fully learnt it yet, but the value already vastly outweighs the time I put into learning it. Sure, it's a bit of a chore sometimes, but when I think about all the stuff that's a complete cinch that I wouldn't have even been able to read a year ago, the minor hassle just melts away.
>>
>>143045228
Do you know anyone who speaks Japanese or are you learning it completely independently?
>>
>>143045228
Same here.
Understanding 50% of raw doujins while fapping is all you need
>>
>>143045270
Completely independently. It probably would have been slightly easier if I had a buddy or someone to get instant responses to questions like "what does X do to this sentence" when I was starting out, but I feel like studying would have been a million times slower in a classroom environment.
>>
>>143045335
That's reassuring, being around other people speaking the language is so often recommended as practically essential but i'm not in a position where that's possible.
>>
>>143045387
It depends what you're after. If you're looking to speak it as quickly as possible, being in an environment with natives would be very useful. Given we're all filthy NEETs here, communication plays second fiddle to consumption, you don't need to know how to construct a sentence in real time to be able to read it.
>>
Took Japanese in high school/uni and managed to pick it up. Pretty good investment since you usually have to learn another language in school anyway, and Japanese is far more relevant to my hobbies than French or Spanish is.
>>
>>143045145
>took me 1 month to learn the kana
Why am I so slow.
>>
>>143045490
I took French in high school for about three years. No idea what I'm going to use this for.
>>143044831
I'd imagine it's like watching an English movie with English subtitles (not captions) on?
>>
>>143045114

>implying you'll be doing anything in the army that isn't scrubbing floors or cycling through paperwork

The military is basically the modern job corps nigga
>>
>>143045490
as a chink
don't understand why burgers are taught to learn taco language
I wouldn't want to mix with illegal immigrants
>>
>>143045709
Nearest neighbours, some cultural overlap.
Not even American and I can see why.
>>
>>143045709
Because it's the only other language they might reasonably encounter, and it's very easy.

And I'm sure none of them would prefer to spend time with some slanty eyed chink.
>>
>>143045558
>I took French in high school for about three years. No idea what I'm going to use this for.
This. I fucking wish my dad had been a weeb instead of a Francophile.
>>
>>143045558
But anon French is fucking hard so congrats if you can speak it properly because most French people can't holy fucking shit
>>
>>143044759
My Japanese isn't good enough to be very useful or convenient. If I want to translate something I can, but it's time consuming and potentially inaccurate. I just study for fun and to justify all my weeaboo hobbies, I still think it's worth it.
>>
>>143045880
My three languages are French, English and Japanese, it covers a lot actually. Maybe I'll learn Spanish someday, but I'll wait to have a certification in Japanese before that.
>>
>>143045709
I'm just glad my spanish teacher thought I was such a lost cause she let me copy other students work and I didn't have to learn shit.
More room in my head for learning nihongo now
>>
>>143045912
When did you start learning second/third languages? Does knowing multiple languages change your normal life very much?
>>
>>143045883
>tfw I read some french kids discussing, I have to re-read two or three times to understand
Literally worse than nigga talk.
>>
>>143045558
French is one of the most useful languages around if you are living in yurop, especially thanks to the EU bureaucracy. I wish I had a french course in my high school.
>>
How many years are we from having a great real time machine translator?
>>
>>143045971
I managed to graduate the year before my school started forcing people to take a language, so I dodged a bullet there.

I can't imagine ever wasting my time on a third language. English and Japanese covers everything I give a shit about.
>>
>>143046037
You might as well ask how long we are away from the machine revolution, where the skulls of man are crushed by their own hubris and delusions of playing god.

It's never going to happen, and if it did, we'd be living in artificial paradise worlds anyway so who would even need anime?
>>
>>143044759
You should probably finish learning English first.
>>
>>143045989
I'm French btw so obviously it's my first language.

I started English when I was 12 I guess, but it wasn't interresting until I realized that lot of games weren't translated in French (which happened around when I turned 15 or 16), also it's quite nice to be able to read foreign books that aren't available in your country, or simply read the original text (which is awesome because lots of stuff are impossible to translate). But the opposite can be said because there's a shitload of actually great french books that never got translated because book audience isn't very large in the world anyway (except classiscs or shit that gets adapted in blockbuster movies, nobody in the world knew that Narnia was a thing before the movie for example).

And I started japanese last year at the age of 22, and I'll probably try to make a living out of it, so I'm extra serious about that, studying it every fucking day and such.

Anyway, I love learning new languages, they are a great door for foreing cultures, and unless you're learning a very rare language, it can be useful during all your life if you're curious by nature.

I don't plan to ever go to Spain or any Spanish-talking county for example, but I consider learning Spanish anyway because I'm sure that there's nice Spanish stuff waiting to be discovered. And same could be said with a fuckton of languages.
>>
>>143045538
Well it probably depends on how similar nip is to the language you're familiar with. I know Chinese and it took me no time at all to pick up the kanji, but I struggle quite a bit with Hirogana
>>
>>143045989
>>143046237
So to answer your question, yes, it changes your normal life, but only if you're willing to.

Languages are like keys to new worlds, you're free to explore them or staying on your couch eating potato crisps.

If you're perfectly fluent in any language but don't use it, well, that wasn't very useful.

But start reading books, watching movies, learning history of the country and such, and shit's awesome.
>>
>>143046237
Thanks for the response
>>
>>143046037
500-600?
You cant have a competent machine translator inless you can make a perfect humanoid AI and at that point youd have waaay more things to worry about that fucking translations, like machines taking over the world
>>
>>143046329
How do I get motivation? I want to do so many things but I spend my day here doing nothing and getting older
>>
>>143046037
Never happening because languages are like alive things, they always evolve, words take a different sense over the course of the time, change spelling, new words are created, cultural inflence has a lot to play in this shit.
>>
>>143046329
Honestly I think I will try to learn nip. I was worried it would be a waste of time due to living in an english country. Thanks a bunch man
>>
>>143046382
Getting organized with to-do list apps and stuff would probably help if you don't already. I have a bit of a feedback loop of actually doing the things that I put on todoist. But that's just me take it with a mountain of salt
>>
>>143046392
Motivation is different for everyone. This'll probably sound autistic but I try to start my day by envisioning where and who I might be in a few years' time if I keep up a consistent effort.
>>
>>143046382
Well, for me it was like a switch, I was at computer science uni, doing nothing of my life, and then a friend of me told me "fuck computer science, I'm doing nip" so I documented myself a FUCKING LOT because it's pretty much a life decision, and there's me, learning japanese at uni hoping I can do a living out of it.

But I know motivation can be pretty hard, everyone is different, but I think the key is that you should do everything, one thing at once.

In the course of years I changed a lot of my habits, I stopped eating shit, I started exercising, I started being serious about my studies, etc.. But I never tried to do this all at once.

From time to time I fell in a never quite cured depression, but I try to focus on simple things I enjoy, like sunlight, or having a giggle seeing people being stupid and yelling at eachother on an image board.

But even then, I never stop my routine of studying every single morning.

I hope you'll find the motivation like I do, and that's okay to lose it sometimes, but never forget your objective.

>>143046392
Well, you're welcome, I hope you'll enjoy it, don't forget to learn it seriously and daily, it's really important due to how the brain works.

You also might consider buying Minna no nihongo books, follow one lesson a week or two, the book has a lot of exercices and corrections at the end so you can see if you're doing it wrong or not.
Obenkyo is a pretty useful app to learn Kanji and kana strokes, try to learn Kanji following JLPT level or Kanji you see in the book, but not too much at once.

Maybe buy Kanji to kana, but I don't have it so I can't tell from personal experience.
>>
>>143046513
Meant to quote
>>143046382
>>
>>143044759
>learnt
Is that actually legitimate English or OP fucking up?

German probably has more shit like that (see "geblinkt" vs. "geblunken") where even native speakers aren't completely sure at times which is correct, but this would be news to me in case of English.
>>
>>143046670
Both are correct the usage depends on the region.
>>
>>143046670
I think I'm just autistic. I thought it was a word but it isn't. Maybe the accents in my country just make learned sound like learnt, or again I'm just auts.
>>
>>143045145
he forgot to include the 10 years he's spent listening to the language through Japanese media
>>
File: japanese.png (341 KB, 661x953) Image search: [Google]
japanese.png
341 KB, 661x953
>>
>>143046849
Amazing
>>
>>143046670
I may be full of shit, but when I Think both are correct, "learnt" probably is the "correct" form, but "learned" made its way by simply being more used, while it should technically sound the same.

But language evolves so that's okay. I myself use more "learnt" than the other but I am no native speaker.

After some fact checking, yes, both forms are correct. I didn't look for which one is more ancient that the other though, if someone is willing to document itself and sharing, he's welcome.
>>
>>143046670
I'm amazed how you were concerned about a common britishism but had no problem with "have anyone".
>>
>Steam sells anime now
what the fuck
>>
>>143046966
Similar stuff happens with a lot of verbs actually, like burnt/burned, dreamt/dreamed and mush more others.

Pretty fun when I think about it. Especially when people claim that 'x' is the right way to do.
>>
>>143047029
Actually that's what pushed me to take a closer look at the post, but mentioning that as well would have overloaded my own post and that bit is clearly wrong without a doubt, so there is no point in asking.
>>
>>143047088
They are "anime flavored" games actually
>>
File: Capture.png (32 KB, 387x143) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
32 KB, 387x143
>>143047112
They've got naruto, bleach, and wakfu :^) movies
>>
>>143047303
But wakfu is actually good
>>
>>143047303
>buying streams
>on your computer no less
Are people actually this retarded?
>>
>>143047478
CR has millions of subscribers
>>
>>143047478
Never ever underestimate people's (as whole) stupidity. NEVER.
>>
This thread was moved to >>>/int/60985917
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.