[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
dubs or subs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 12
File: ss (2016-06-17 at 02.27.49).jpg (68 KB, 312x447) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-06-17 at 02.27.49).jpg
68 KB, 312x447
dubs or subs?

I like dubs more because it gives more personal impact, hearing the words in my native language, rather than reading them and extrapolating them onto the character

pic unrelated but what I just finished
>>
>>142957274
Well if there were more dubs on an equal level of quality to the Japanese voice actor then I'd just flip a coin based on which voices I prefer.

It's not a blanket question, it's just a case where most dubs are crap so it's not a fair comparison.
>>
>>142957274
Kill yourself
>>
How about these dubs?
>>
good dubs are objectively better than generic subs. there are some really good japanese voice actors out there and some really good performances, but I am getting sick of the boring voice types they do in most anime
>hey it's me, the cocky guy, I talk very excitedly with no variance
>hey it's me, the harsh old man, I talk like I'm from a samurai movie
>hey it's me the cute girl, I sound like a dying animal
latest anime I've watched where the voices felt good to hear was kiznaiver, even if nico has an annoying voice, at least it's on purpose.
>>
>>142957352
I mean, since Japanese is a foreign language, it's much more difficult to pick out the differences in speech compared to English, so that's not really a fair comparison, right?

I mean, if you had a bad JP VA, you wouldn't be able to tell as easily. Also, a dub only relies on one factor: voices. A sub uses both the original voices and text, either of which could be of varying quality. AoT got real fucked up due to weird subbing differences at times

>>142957416
You could argue that overdone/hokey dubs solidify the character more than a sub, since we're getting more feedback from the character: not only their words, but how they say them.

JP VAs convey this to some degree, but unless you're very fluent you wouldn't detect the same things you would in English, no?
>>
>>142957274
If you like dubs, you're pathetic.
>>
>replacing the original voices with random people
>altering the script to target a different audience
>worse mouth flap sync or forced to write the script to fit them
In case some retard decides to respond. The voices are recorded after animation, but the script is written before.
I guess dubs are good if you're the kind of person that reads fanfiction retellings instead of translations of books.
>>
>>142957274

Fuck off.
>>
File: b52umrG.png (317 KB, 552x640) Image search: [Google]
b52umrG.png
317 KB, 552x640
Dubs
>>
>>142958500
Nice
>>
I like dubbed anime more than subbed. I enjoy the shows so much more, when i actually understand the dialouge. Also, i dont really like the japanese language, so if the show has a dub, then i watch the dub.

Pic related contains all the shows that i have seen. Shows marked with green are the ones that i have only watched dubbed. Shows marked with yellow are the ones that i watched subbed, because the dub was not out yet or because it was back in the day when i was stupid enough to give sub a chance (i have now rewatched most of them with a dub). And the shows marked with red are the ones that i watched subbed, because a dub does not exist.
>>
File: dub vs sub.jpg (4 MB, 3710x4250) Image search: [Google]
dub vs sub.jpg
4 MB, 3710x4250
>>142960484
Forgot pic.
>>
>>142957274
English is not my native language, so it doesnt matter at all which language Im hearing, since I'll need subs to not fail to understand subtle or short sentences which never will be said again.
Also english is a shitty language. Their accents sound like someone is screeching in my ear and I always keep imagining disgusting college sluts with female voices even if the character is an angel.
Japanese is also closer to my native language in terms of phonetics, structure of words etc
>>
File: 5555555.png (508 KB, 555x555) Image search: [Google]
5555555.png
508 KB, 555x555
The only dubs i like are these.
>>
>>142957274
always dubs
>>
>>142957274
Sorry OP but actually being able to understand what I'm watching is just too inauthentic for me. I prefer muh amateur subs.
>>
>>142957274
That anime made me gag.
>>
>>142966579
Me too at first but I got used to it and ended up enjoying it somewhat. Season 2 when?
>>
>>142957274
>dubs if u want to multi task
>>
>>142966640
>Not OP btw
>>
File: 1452643206489.png (24 KB, 378x366) Image search: [Google]
1452643206489.png
24 KB, 378x366
>>142961865
Is this a GET or not?
>>
>>142957830
WOW you really told them my otaku nakama xDDDD
>>
File: 1401243694419.jpg (419 KB, 1500x964) Image search: [Google]
1401243694419.jpg
419 KB, 1500x964
>>142960484

>i dont really like the japanese language

This, it's especially bad in animu
>>
People who keep watching dubs (and don't have neurological issues with reading) are like people who never stop using training wheels. Dubs, like training wheels, are acceptable if you're new, but they're something you need to grow out of.
>>
>>142957274
italian dubs > subs > english dubs
>>
File: image.jpg (224 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
224 KB, 1920x1080
I'll burn your house down if you watch any dubs of an anime that had Toyosaki Aki voicing one of the characters. Toyosaki Aki's voice makes my dick diamonds.
>>
>>142957274
>dubs or subs?
trips
>>
>>142957274
Mostly subs. There are rare shows like Baccano that have objectively better dubs. And there's also dubs that are completely terrible. So much shit gets changed in the Yugioh series, and when the plotline became too dark in the final season of GX and 5D's, they just dropped the show and moved onto the next one.
>>
>>142967621
その通りだ。
>>
Subs > dubs most of the time
Here's a list of anime that I'd suggest you people to watch dubbed:
Cowboy Bebop (avoid subbed version like the black plague)
Fullmetal Alchemist (Romi Park is shit in comparison to Vic Mignogna)
Death Note
Trigun
Code Geass
Samurai Champloo
Black Lagoon (subbed version is pure shit, too much Engrish)
Mobile Suit Gundam 0079
Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex
Baccano
Avoid watching any moe slice-of-life anime dubbed.
>>
>>142971234
The original voice acting and script are part of the work, and I want to watch it the way the original production team envisioned it.
>>
>>142971234
I forgot to put Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt down.
BTW, some of you might enjoy watching Attack on Titan and Dragon Ball Z dubbed.
>>
Always subs. I don't know any of the actors in dubs except for people in shit I heard as a kid in the 90s.
On the other hand I know lots of Japanese voice actors and always have fun picking out their voices and checking the credits to see if I was right. The average dubfag wouldn't even know who Wakamoto is.
>>
>>142957274
>not memorizing the subtitles and then watching with subtitles disabled
Or, alternatively,
>not learning Nip tongue to not need substitles
>>
File: golden_boy_f.jpg (121 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
golden_boy_f.jpg
121 KB, 720x720
>>142957274
I have seen every anime ever made and this is the only one where the dub is objectively better than the sub version.
>>
>>142957274
>personal impact
I can't stand English dubs because they remind me of real people and I hate people.
>>
>>142957475
Compare japanese movies and tv shows and anime. Note that voices are all articulated in about the same way. Sure some anime can be exaggerated. But not as huge of a different in english anime vs english movies/tv.

Note how in American movies and tv, people generally talk "normally." Now note english dubs.

Now compare the differences between the languages
English dubs are shit
>>
I love dubs because gamergate jokes are hilarious.
>>
>>142971234
>Cowboy Bebop (avoid subbed version like the black plague)
Dub is great, but i don't get why you think the sub is bad
>Fullmetal Alchemist (Romi Park is shit in comparison to Vic Mignogna)
Vic is a giant faggot though
>Trigun
both versions are good
>Code Geass
Dub isn't bad, but Jun Fukuyama is the only Lelouche worth listening to
>Samurai Champloo
dub is amazing, and censored Dub is even better
>Black Lagoon (subbed version is pure shit, too much Engrish)
i liked the scenes in japan where Remy can't understand what anyone is saying too much to enjoy the dub since they completely rewrote them
>Avoid watching any moe slice-of-life anime dubbed.
100% agreed
>>
>>142971234
>watching Code Geass and Death Note dubbed

It's like you want to suffer.
>>
>>142971234
>Cowboy Bebop (avoid subbed version like the black plague)

>Spike
Kouichi Yamadera
Kaji from Evangelion and fucking Donald Duck
>Jett
Ishizuka Unshou
Professor Motherfucking Oak, Mr. Satan, and countless others, a literal voice acting oldfag
>Faye
Megumi Hayashibara
Linna Inverse, Ranma, Rei Ayanami, Hello Kitty, Musashi (Jessie) from Pokemon
>Vicious
Emperor Wakamoto

KILL
YOUR
SELF
>>
>>142971554
Well, there's the Toonami stuff, but yeah, aside from them, GB's good.

Wait, what about Cromartie?
>>
Azumanga
Lucky Star
Cromartie
Outlaw Star
Nerima Daikon Bros
Gurren Lagann
Code Geass
Evangelion
Any Gundam you can think of
Haruhi
Almost any Bandai licensed title you can think of
>>
>>142972407
All of those voice actors are good, but they don't properly fit into those roles. Yamadera Kouichi's voice is too deep and not "cool" enough for Spike Spiegel. Hayabashira Megumi's voice is not "womanly" enough for Faye Valentine.
I've never heard Unshou Ishizuka's voice, so I'm not going to comment on that.
Wakamoto Norio is GOD, and his voice is too hammy and badass for a simple gangster like Vicious.
>>
>>142957274
ez sub, doesnt matter if its anime, korean/asian/non-english european, seeing the mouth move out of place or hearing forced dialogues just makes me irk
>>
>>142973053
>Hayabashira Megumi's voice is not "womanly" enough for Faye Valentine.
That's why I love her in that role. She usually does tomboyish girls but she is sexy and sultry as Faye. It just shows that even though she has been typecast a bit, she still has range.
>>
used to be either, Hellsing & Coboy Bebop being to damn fine subs that were at least a match for the subbed version if not better, these days sadly its all dubs as cant keep up with the subs anymoe. Good thing dubs have generally gotton better now though
>>
File: waitingfordubs.jpg (133 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
waitingfordubs.jpg
133 KB, 1920x1080
Most dubs are shit but some are top tier.
>>
Code Geass was good in both dub and sub, outside of Nunnaly's English voice actress.
>>
Dubs because when your eyes are focused at the bottom of the screen you end up missing most of the action and expressions the characters make.
>>
File: image.jpg (336 KB, 600x839) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
336 KB, 600x839
>>142957274
Dubs are a forbidden onii-chan
>>
>>142957274
>dubs
Fuck off.
>>
>>142974243
I thought Wendee Lee's voice was way more sultry a Faye
>>
File: 1383885907951.png (29 KB, 203x182) Image search: [Google]
1383885907951.png
29 KB, 203x182
>>142966803
No, but this is.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.