[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Say your original exposure to a show was through your particular
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault[3].jpg (219 KB, 1350x759) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[3].jpg
219 KB, 1350x759
Say your original exposure to a show was through your particular locale's dub.

Whenever you go back and rewatch said shows, do you tend to rewatch them subbed for a different/the original experience, or dubbed again for the nostalgia?

I'd imagine the likelihood of rewatching subbed is higher the more the dub departed from or censored the original material, of course. I have a hard time believing anyone who first watched the US dub of Digimon would go back and rewatch that.
>>
I never watch dubs
If I feel nostalgic Id load youtube and rewatch an anime OP or ED from my childhood when it was dubbed in my language
>>
>>142841688
Oh and also
>ophanimon

You wish faggot, tailmon final evo is holydramon
>>
Rewatch subs. US dubs cut way too much, I want the real experience - depending how bad the dub is (and digimon was far from the worst, though they made a bunch of stupid cuts and replaced a god tier OST) it can be like watching a completely different show - and one that's far more sensible and coherent.
>>
>>142842879
Some dubs are great enough that people swear by them even when aware of the sub, however. Yu Yu Hakusho, for instance, spiced up the characters quite a bit from the original material, so a lot of people prefer its dub.
>>
If its a kids' show, then dubs, obviously. There is no other reason to watch kids shows like digimon other than nostalgia.
>>
>>142843022
"spice up" always means "the translation is shit but I hapen to like is this one time so it doesnt count, this time is actually good"

Hate that term, a bad translation is a bad trasnlation, period.
>>
>>142843052
And yet a technically "bad" translation doesn't necessarily entail a bad localization. It may not be accurate, but if the original material was bland or lifeless to begin with, changes to the script are not necessarily bad, unless you're a purist.
>>
>>142843157
If the original was bland or not thats for the consumers to decide, and maybe it was bland on purpose
You are scum if you "spice up" while translating anything.
>>
>>142843212
I would agree with you in principle, but keep in mind these are for-profit companies we're dealing with. Part of their job is to research their market, and if they determine a faithful translation would not go well with, say, the Amerifats, they will tweak it accordingly. Of course, some companies such as 4kids took it way too far and made it a core philosophy to cleanse as much of what they considered to be potentially harmful material out of the shows they localized, but others took a more sensible approach and merely tweaked things here and there to a degree they believed would enhance the enjoyment of their respective audiences.
>>
>>142843390
>but keep in mind these are for-profit companies we're dealing with

Oh for sure, Id kill myself If I had to translate as a job.
>>
>>142841688
I rewatched Pokemon and Digimon so many times until 2004 or so that I can still remember the hundreds of episodes fairly well. I've only seen the first season of Pokemon in Japanese before DP. I still rewatch an episode of the dub every now and again or just have XY in the background if I happen to be up when it's on TV. Haven't seen the Digimon dub in over a decade, but I've rewatched nearly every series every summer since Savers.

Completely ditched the original Funi dub of DBZ, but I've seen the Pioneer dub of the first few movies several times. Ranma dub wasn't bad but kind of stale.
>>
All I know is the thought of watching a childhood anime with a different English dub terrifies me. I see "Usagi the Crybaby (Dub)" while browsing Hulu and just get overcome with dread.
>>
>>142841688
been watching new dragon ball super in sub but db and dbz i just watched in dub cos i was more used to that. fuck the ocean dub tho
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.