[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ping Pong: The Animation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 12
File: 1460121923327.jpg (37 KB, 225x314) Image search: [Google]
1460121923327.jpg
37 KB, 225x314
What does /a/ think of this?
>>
File: 1424202284195.jpg (15 KB, 190x195) Image search: [Google]
1424202284195.jpg
15 KB, 190x195
One of the holy trinity.
>>
File: Peco vs Kazama.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Peco vs Kazama.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>142818405
God tier.
>>
File: 1443690894124.jpg (77 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1443690894124.jpg
77 KB, 1280x720
I absolutely loved the art style, I don't get why people didn't like it at first
>>
Trash.
>>
It's gay and boring so I didn't watch it
>>
>>142818405
China a Best
>>
>>142818507
Because plebs think anime=moe when anime is just animation in Japanese. So they think why watch anime when it looks like a cartoon
>>
>>142818570
>I don't have to watch it to know if it's good or not
>>
Absolutely loved it. Soundtrack was the best part.
>>
>>142818577
Kong go and stay go
>>
>>142818405
>HERO KENZAN
>HERO KENZAN
>HERO KENZAN
>>
>>142818405
Easily the best thing the sport genre has to offer
>>
https://youtu.be/fWIZARSyNyw?t=10m54s chills
>>
File: 1455650932493.jpg (49 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1455650932493.jpg
49 KB, 1280x720
Masterpiece, loved every second of it
>>
>>142818771
>my blood tastes like iron
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>142818684
It's not spokon though
>>
I usually like Yuasa anime but this one wasn't that good.
>>
I enjoyed it.

Not Yuasa's best work, and some people on /a/ tend to overrate it (possibly because it's their first Yuasa animu) but it's good.
>>
I play table tennis, so I probably shouldn't post my extremely biased opinion.
>>
>>142818507
desu i din't like it at first, but it really grew on me when smile stopped being a bitch
>>
I almost watched the whole thing in one sitting. On a week (work) day.
>>
>>142818582
Yeah. Totally. No one can simply not like the style. It's because they don't know any better and all they like is moe. You're totally not projecting at all!
>>
>>142819297
Not that guy but I'm pretty sure they disliked it just because it was something different and "ugly"
>>
>>142819370
Yes, a lot of people disliked because they considered it ugly. They have every right to. It's not because "they didn't know any better", you pretentious douchebags. Likewise, a big majority of this retarded fanbase liked it because it was different and they're hipsters.

Making sweeping generalizations to pretend you're more knowledgeable on animation is sad to say the least.
>>
The season when it aired was a fun time to be on /a/.
>>
File: kek to the extreme.jpg (57 KB, 600x715) Image search: [Google]
kek to the extreme.jpg
57 KB, 600x715
>>142819650
>Likewise, a big majority of this retarded fanbase liked it because it was different and they're hipsters.

>Making sweeping generalizations to pretend you're more knowledgeable on animation is sad to say the least.

get a load of this guy
>>
>>142819650
Say what you want but disliking a show because of it's visuals if shallow and immature.

People like ping pong because it surpasses the majority of anime narratively and thematically, especially all of the ones that have to do with sports.
>>
>>142818787
Peco was telling Smile (who would constantly be called a robot) that they have more in common than he thinks.

>>142818405
Loved it. Though I honestly wish that Peco and Smile's final match would have been more evened out. It was made clear that on a good day, Peco would have absolutely dominated everyone.
>>
File: 1459005555965.webm (3 MB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
1459005555965.webm
3 MB, 1000x562
>>142818492
Those matches were intense
>>
>>142820043
Anime is a visual medium. Not enjoying something because of how it looks is a perfectly valid reason.

The more immature thing to do is pretend to like a show you don't because it's "artsy".
>>
>>142818507
it's different

Honestly I liked it from the beginning, a bit annoying at times (like the match between China and Kazama) but it grew on me. Really need to go back and re-watch it.
>>
>>142820083
>Peco was telling Smile (who would constantly be called a robot) that they have more in common than he thinks.
But Smile was talking in that scene
I think he just thought that he finally showed some emotions (is a human)
>>
>>142820083
oh so you're saying that robot's blood tastes like iron
I get it now
>>
>>142818405
Big fan of Yuasa but I have to say the manga was much better. He even managed to ruin a few important scenes that even the live-action movie nailed. Not sure why he even chose to adapt Ping Pong in the first place, when Matsumoto Taiyou has other works that suit more his style. Hanaotoko, for example.
>>
>>142820182
>Not enjoying something because of how it looks is a perfectly valid reason.

Said every shit-eater ever.
>>
>>142820318
Would you recommend reading the manga after watching the anime?
>>
>>142820318
>He even managed to ruin a few important scenes that even the live-action movie nailed.
Which scenes do you mean?
>>
Ping Pong fucking owns. Not many shows can do this well in such a short time, but the story's great, the characters are likable and it's jam packed with memorable and moving scenes. Sweet music and art too. I think the composer is doing Silent Voice next, stoked to see how that one turns out.
>>
>>142820393
If you thought the anime could be more subtle, definitely read the manga. I will say beforehand that most of the Kong-bits were anime-original (one of the best parts about the anime), so there's little of that.

>>142820421
The most important is the Smile running scene, when he runs past his trainer/teacher and runs aimlessly all over time. That scene has to take up quite a bit of time in order to communicate to the audience the same feeling of living a life aimlessly. It's a very important scene that develops Smile's character and communicates how he feels since he's a reticent character that doesn't openly talk about his feelings. The live-action movie does this well. The manga does it well. But in the anime, the scene is so short it hardly registers an impact.
>>
>>142820531
>all over time

Woops, I meant "all over town."
>>
>>142818405
>Aired 2 years ago
It's shit
>>
>>142820421
>>142820393
Also on a somewhat related note is the drastic change to Dragon's character. I'm not gonna outright bash it, since it's more of a personal taste, but I found the anime-Dragon to be pretty boring as that archetype is quite prevalent among most sports stories. The manga-Dragon felt a lot more unique to me, and more interesting as a result. I can understand people preferring anime-Dragon though.
>>
>>142820043
>People like ping pong because it surpasses the majority of anime narratively and thematically, especially all of the ones that have to do with sports.

Ping pong is as generic as sports manga get anon, if it's truly as much of a masterpiece as you say it would be making waves before it was adapted but I have never once seen a Ping pong manga thread prior to the anime, and the anime follows the manga's plot to the letter. The only thing it changes is fleshing out some of the side characters a bit more but the core of the narrative is identical.

People just like it cause it's Yuasa doing what Yuasa does.
>>
>>142820663
>I have never once seen a Ping pong manga thread prior to the anime

That's mainly because the vast majority of /a/ doesn't read manga beyond the mainstream, so you'd be hard-pressed to get enough people in one thread to discuss a critically-acclaimed manga by an equally praised mangaka that even already had a critically-acclaimed live-adaptation film. Nevertheless, there were quite a few people that at least posted in favourite manga threads over the years long before the anime adaptation was even announced.

Also, I can't say I've read anything like Ping Pong in the average sports manga, or perhaps it's more accurate to say I've not seen anything executed like it. It's only generic if you think Ping Pong is thematically about hard work vs. talent, which is a side-plot at best.
>>
File: 1447375111148.png (7 KB, 500x182) Image search: [Google]
1447375111148.png
7 KB, 500x182
>>142818405
Looks like an epileptic three year-old with Parkinson's drew it naked in Antarctica with a pencil stuck up his ass. It's an insult to the viewer.
>>
>>142820896
Looks like your taste is shit
>>
Do you think Prince would have liked it had he seen the show?
>>
>>142821066
Stop it with the meme questions.
>>
It's good, but the threads are really easy to shitpost on.
>>
I had already read the manga so found it not very good by comparison.
>>
>>142820881
>>142820663
Taiyo matsumoto is a VERY well known mangaka amongst people who read seinen manga on /a/ so a sizeable number of people have read ping pong.

It was fully translated a long time ago so obviously there wouldn't be weekly threads or generals.
>>
>>142818405
It's good.
>>
There's no way my ping pong coach can be this cute!
>>
>>142820881
I don't know what an "average sports manga" is for you but I can't find anything that Ping pong does particularly better narratively or thematically.

>>142820043
>>142820362
Not enjoying something because of the visuals in a medium that is literally about moving pictures is as valid reason as they come. to deny that is to say that the inverse (enjoying something because you like the visuals) is equally wrong. It's not like you're making a comment regarding the writing.

Regardless of what you think of the art style, the animation had some genuine horribly drawn scenes and some of the worst tweens I've seen in any anime this decade. But you can't bring that shit up in a PP thread because the minute you do everybody just shits on you for "hating the artstyle". Fuck that, Yuasa is free to be Yuasa but being Yuasa (or anybody for that matter) or picking any sort of art style shouldn't give any anime a free pass for having bad animation.
>>
>>142821124
It's a completely relevant question.
>>
File: 1399565236795.png (376 KB, 606x709) Image search: [Google]
1399565236795.png
376 KB, 606x709
>>142821450
Can't believe I still have this on my HD.
>>
Blows all the kiddie sports anime like Haikyuu and Kuroko no basket out of the water. Idiots hate it because it was AOTY 2014 and they're too pleb to appreciate it because of the artstyle

In all of the ping pong threads Ive literally never seen an argument made as to why it's bad other than how it looks, and I doubt I ever will
>>
>>142821474
>the animation had some genuine horribly drawn scenes and some of the worst tweens I've seen in any anime this decade
Yeah, I mean it's not like that was intentional or anything
>But you can't bring that shit up in a PP thread because the minute you do everybody just shits on you for "hating the artstyle".
But that's true. If think it looks bad then you simply don't like the artstyle
>>
>>142820663
It probably hadn't been "making waves" because anime and manga fans aren't exactly known for appreciating well written stuff. See popular manga or anime for further proof.

>Ping pong is as generic as sports manga get anon

I highly doubt that since I've seen most of what is considered good in the sports genre from cross game to chihayafuru. And the only thing that could come close to ping pong was Joe.

>Yuasa doing what Yuasa does.

Yes a capable director makes all the difference. Directing is about presenting the narrative and themes in a way that make them resonate with the audience. Have you ever considered why most of everything Yousa, Kon, Anno and a few other directors touch seems to perceived in a higher regard.
>>
File: 9845789089678.png (733 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
9845789089678.png
733 KB, 1366x768
>>142819178
I really liked the anime but I don't play table tennis so I have to ask: was their use of jargon and general treatment of the sport accurate?
>>
>>142821784
Well no shit it wasn't intentional. I doubt any of the QUALITY you see in anime was intentional. It doesn't change the fact that it made it onto the final cut and was what aired on TV. At which point it's perfectly valid criticism to call them out on it.

>If think it looks bad then you simply don't like the artstyle

I think it looks bad on two counts. The first being my personal taste of not liking the art style, though I concede that it is pretty faithful as far as adapting the manga.

The second was the QUALITY I mentioned above, and that is objective unless you are literally blind. The problem arises when fans of Ping pong try to draw a false equivalency between the two. I am free to not enjoy Ping pong for either or both reasons. But when I call it's animation bad I am obviously invoking the second.
>>
>>142821945
Please explain why you think the show has bad animation. I think the animation is good and fits the artstyle very well.
>>
>>142821843
>anime and manga fans aren't exactly known for appreciating well written stuff
Were you even on /a/ in 2014? It was probably the single most discussed anime that year.

Making sweeping statements like "all popular anime is bad" is as equally retarded as hating on something because it's popular.
>>
>>142821945
This is what incredibly impressive animation looks like. At lest from the technical aspect .
https://sakuga.yshi.org/data/cff08e0868e00b236ce6cbe5c8a8f378.webm
>>
I really enjoyed it.

but I do not like that because then I'm associated with all the other autists who do also.
>>
>>142822023
I've already stated that, but since you can't even read what you reply to:
>he animation had some genuine horribly drawn scenes and some of the worst tweens I've seen in any anime this decade.

And I'm not talking about the freezeframe shit you find in tweens in every anime. Obviously deformation during those frames helps make for smoother animation but the likes found in Ping pong are another level of bad. The most obvious and frequently posted example is the cut from the end when makoto is throwing the paddle into the ocean but the anime is riddled with them, probably several per episode. If it was any other anime /a/ would have taken the piss on how bad it looked but , whether intentionally or not, the art style choice for ping pong made some of them harder to catch.
>>
>>142822057
This guys argument>>142820663 was that ping pong isn't anything special because the manga "wasn't making waves" or in other words ping pong wasn't popular enough to be considered god. I know that anime had a big fuss surrounding it but that wasn't the point.

All popular stuff isn't bad just most of it is.
>>
>>142822506
>god
good
>>
>>142821784
No, he's correct that there's some genuinely bad animation/art in Ping Pong. You had moments of reused animation, single drawings bobbing up and down for characters walking, stuff that would normally be mocked in most shows. The show's production was rushed and it showed.
>>
Second best sports anime after joe.
>>
>>142819697
Did you also get spoiled by some anon on who would win the last match, right before the last episode was about to be released?
>>
I liked the manga. Some day I'll watch the anime.
>>
>>142818405
modern day classic
>>
>>142821635
Haikyuu is fucking amazing though

Don't compare it to KnB
>>
>>142820043
Ping Pong is good and all, but I wouldn't say that it outclasses the entire sports genre or anything. It's a fucking great genre overall with stuff like Ashita no Joe, One Outs, Cross Game, Rookies, etc, it's criminal how so many people dismiss them. Some trash in there as well like Kuroko no Basket but every genre has stuff like that.
>>
>>142818405
It's great. It's artful in it's use of colours and shit without being pretentious.
>>
>>142821843
>And the only thing that could come close to ping pong was Joe.
Going purely by the manga here since that's the better option for both of these series - Joe is miles ahead of Ping Ping in terms of story, characterization, general ambitiousness of themes and pretty much everything else.

Ping Pong is your standard sports seinen "guy finds something (which happens to be a sport) to devote himself to and the reader watches him grow as a result of this" deal, good but not as groundbreaking as you're saying it is.
>>
>>142824702
>discussing an anime as a secondary
>complaining about being spoiled
You brought it on yourself
>>
>>142825587
Joe is close to PP the rest not so much. One outs is incomplete. Cross game is all about lingering on perfect dead waifu, plus it's way too long for what it has to show. And I've never even heard of Rookies which is not a good sign. Anyway there is a reason why only Joe is still relevant.
>>
>>142826136
Rookies doesn't have an anime, that's why. Ping Pong was largely unheard of on here until the anime hit too, doesn't make it bad.

Ping Pong is pretty much Rookies or Giant Killing tier really, it's animation style can tip it ahead perhaps if it's that massive a factor in your enjoyment of it I guess.
>>
>>142825934
>Ping Pong is your standard sports seinen "guy finds something (which happens to be a sport) to devote himself to and the reader watches him grow as a result of this" deal, good but not as groundbreaking as you're saying it is.

Except we get to see the theme of passion vs. talent from the perspective of 5 different people with varying amounts of both. Plus the catharsis in the end is a nice fuck you the bs asian mentality of "you'll never regret hard work". It's got a very fitting length that allows for the themes to be streamlined, unlike Joe's 100+ episode drag.
>>
>>142826108
>Implying I was discussing it
>Implying I was complaining
Two too many assumptions.
>>
>>142826460
>passion vs talent
That's standard sports genre stuff anon. Not even sports seinen, you get that much in shounen too.

>Plus the catharsis in the end is a nice fuck you the bs asian mentality of "you'll never regret hard work"
Yeah that was pretty nice

>It's got a very fitting length that allows for the themes to be streamlined, unlike Joe's 100+ episode drag.
I specified that I'm talking about the manga for both, anon. I've never seen anyone familiar with both the anime and the manga for either Ashita no Joe or Ping Pong prefer the anime for either of them.
>>
HERO KENZAN
>>
>>142821843
I sorta feel like boxing manga should be treated as it's own little sub-genre. There's stuff in AnJ that I can't even imagine being covered in other sports series, it's closer to martial arts series like Holyland than it is to Ping Pong.
>>
>>142826136
>I've never even heard of Rookies
What the hell?

>>142825587
Touch > Cross Game
>>
>>142820043
>Say what you want but disliking a show because of it's visuals if shallow and immature.
No, and that's a dumb as fuck attitude. Bad visuals can ruin a show. I happen to like Ping Pong's visuals, but that's a different matter.
>>
It was the meme anime of the year.
>>
>>142826746
>That's standard sports genre stuff anon.
It's a staple of sports genre, but the execution in most is very shallow compared to ping pong.

>>142827251
In theory I would agree. But please provide example of a well written show being made unwatchable because of the visuals.
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.