[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes a show "wish-fulfillment"? Is Kabaneri
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
What makes a show "wish-fulfillment"?

Is Kabaneri wish fulfillment because the characters have superpowers?
Is Flying Witch wish-fulfillment because the characters are happy and surrounded by friends?
Where do you draw the line?
>>
Flying Witch is AOTY.
>>
I think harems and the characters elevated in status is the main thing which happen in a lot of LN's, they're the "hero" of whatever realm they are summoned to.
>>
>>142666799
Nearly all shows are 'wish fulfillment' to a point, it just depends on how much and whether it's annoyingly blatent.
>>
Wish fulfillment is when the MC gets a lot of things going his way without doing anything to really warrant it (harem, powers, status, etc). If it's isekai with a regret, even more so (getting to start over again and do everything right). Special mention to stuff like the Again manga since it's time travel wish fulfillment.
>>
>>142666907
this
>>
>>142666799

>what makes a show about a 15-17 year old boy with super powers who is also surrounded by ridiculously attractive girls wish fulfillment

It truly is a wonder.
>>
I'm big into 'wish-fulfillment' stories so I'll venture a guess.
The truth is, they offer a fantasy where your problems are much cooler problems, your stresses are much more worthwhile, and the character you are to identify with has ample amount of agency to deal with these issues or is even far beyond any notion of actually losing.
Like Death March, not only is the MC rich and powerful from the very start he just learns more and more shit and gets even better at using his abilities as the story progresses. He gathers a bunch of girls to endlessly crave his dick but doesn't fuck any of them vying for prostitutes instead. When he gets in pinches, its just fun to see him handle it easily with little sweat or anxiety on his part even though he probably should be more worried.
He basically gets to do everything and be amazing as fuck all the time. Its pure day dream material like when you're tired at work dreaming you could blow up your office.
Overlord qualifies too because MC is a being beyond death with an army of absolute unwavering loyaty and respect to the point where it troubles him because he thinks he's shit.
>>
>>142667197
>be average high schooler
>suddenly have attractive childhood friend whos into me
>suddenly have sister whos attractive and into me
>suddenly have an ojou/tomboy/alien/demon whos into me
>they all fucking orbit me while I gain awesome powers and go fight aliens/demons or whatever and look cool all the time
anime personified
>>
>>142666799
It's a pointless argument. It's similar to the paradox where
>MC is an average joe with great things happening to him. It's muh self insert
>MC is powerful and cool. It's muh power fantasy
You can't win.
>>
>>142666907
It's a decent contender for AOTS at best
>>
It's either wish fulfillment or tragedy. /a/ makes things very black and white.
>>
>>142667393
I hope the sister wins.
>>
>>142667628
Did I stutter Anon?
>>
>>142667460
just because you can complain about it doesn't make it bad.
The terms are just there to express an issue you have with the show. No one would ever call non non biyori wish fulfillment even if their wish was to be a grade schooler in bumfuckistan japan.
Its when you watch a show and it becomes real obvious that its self inserting you as the MC then having the MC doing amazing stuff and surrounded by awesome people all the time. Its too much, and even though /a/ likes it they will admit its rather uncomfortable to do that in a story.
Other stories have ways around this like James Bond trained for years to be a super spy, Onii-sama is demon summoned by his evil mother and had brain torture, Hajime from Arifureta got really lucky with the healing crystal and suffered to build his edge, etc.
>>
>>142667731
She's the final boss who was actually tired of the MC not looking at her the whole time so she decided to destroy the world and all the other girls to have onii-sama to herself.
>>142667737
Flying Witch lacks flying. Was I the only one creeped out by that episode with the candles making the pocky that makes you laugh for an hour?
Imagine that fucking shit. Its like poison. Or drugs. I though japan hated drugs. And whats with just giving the loli the go ahead to become a fucking witch? I mean holy shit don't you worry about her summoning demons or warping reality and killing you all?
>>
>>142667899
>flying witch
>witch can barely fly
this is an outrage
>>
>>142667899
>she decided to destroy the world and all the other girls to have onii-sama to herself
Imouto did nothing wrong! Best girl, I hope she wins.
>>
>>142667899
>that episode with the candles making the pocky that makes you laugh for an hour
It's one of my favorites, that shit was golden. Made me think of drugs as well, but most drugs are fine in moderation.
>And whats with just giving the loli the go ahead to become a fucking witch?
I'm fairly certain you can't become a witch and they're just playing along with her for now until she grows out of it.
>>
>>142668210
>I'm fairly certain you can't become a witch and they're just playing along with her for now until she grows out of it
Fuck this shit is too dark for me. I'm going back to the easier episodes of non non biyori
>>
File: 56830907_p0.png (1 MB, 1158x1158) Image search: [Google]
56830907_p0.png
1 MB, 1158x1158
>>142668254
I wonder if she'll cry when she finds out.
>>
>>142668210
>drugs are fine in moderation
>that's what potheads actually believe
>>
>>142668496
The medical establishment views drugs as dangerous and only preferable when the other option is severe health problems or the pros outweighing the cons.
All research of weed suggests that its far superior to drugs that are already prescribed for pain like opiates which have many more complications and risk of abuse.
It shouldn't be:
>drugs are fine in moderation
It should be:
>some drugs kill you less than others and have similar effects so lets use those
Taking max dose tylenol and ibuprofen together is rated to have the same effect on pain as opiates and is far less dangerous, yet people prefer opiates because they are seen as 'better'.
Weed saves lives anon.
>>
>>142667290
how can you watch blatant wish-fulfillment? Every time some obvious pandering occurs, it breaks my immersion.

Do you shut your brain off so completely that you don't even notice it, or do you just acknowledge it and move on?
>>
>>142666799
>What makes a show "wish-fulfillment"?
>Is Kabaneri wish fulfillment because the characters have superpowers?
>Is Flying Witch wish-fulfillment because the characters are happy and surrounded by friends?

"Wish fullfillment" is any story in which the MC never struggles, or lives a blessed life. Is overpowered and generally has all the bitches chasing his dick.

Basically anything simple that a 14yo boy or 21yo loveless, lifeless loser would love. Generally speaking it's derided for the dues ex machina strokes of luck the MC gets. Or for the fact the MC is a gary stu. Or for all the bitches trying to ride the MC's dick.

No one in their right mind would describe Re: Zero as "wish fulfillment", nor would flying witch really qualify. Kabaneri is a world of suck, and nothing but suck has happened to the MC so, no, that's not wish fullfillment either. Asterisk and Hundred certainly qualify.
>>
>>142666799
The term refers to shows which feature audience surrogate protagonists who are overwhelmingly successful and beloved.

This is generally bad because the qualities associated with audience surrogate characters, (average, passive, unambitious, etc) aren't good traits for achieving success and popularity. It rarely feels believable when characters like that wind up with such desirable lives. It feels like they just randomly fell into success.

Hope this helps, OP
>>
>>142669180
I'm enjoying the ride anon. I'm pretty bad with self judgement and anime is pretty much the only thing that helps me turn it off. It helps that I daydream a lot as well.
>>142669258
Asterisk and Hundred aren't all happy, the MC has to yell and pull out another powerup so he can look all exhausted and powerful every couple of arcs. I think you really get into full on wish fulfillment when its far too easy on the protag in every sense where he's literally impossible to stop like onii-sama.
>>
>>142666799
Personally I use "wish fulfillment" to refer to aspects of a series that are nonsensical or overwhelmingly lazy but are obviously there to satisfy some vain emotional need for otaku.

The first example of this I can think of off the top of my head would be how girls end up falling for the MC "because he's kind". Being kind is a fucking basic facet of regular decency and something that anybody in the world can manage. It's easy enough for otaku to apply to themselves and it gives them the validation they want.
>>
>>142669888
I like it when at least they make an attempt to show the MC helping them with some emotional issue and protecting them somehow before the kind thing comes up. Once they just have them fly over his dick it gets hard to stomach.
Like in Hyakka Ryouran its basically a dogpile on the MC because he's fucking shit up but he's still spineless.
>>
>>142670058
Half the time the MC isn't even doing anything spectacular, he just notices one of the girls has a problem and says something encouraging. Just basic shit that a halfway decent friend would do.
>>
Isn't wish-fulfillment just a show with Mary Sues or Gary Stus?
>>
>>142671008
Not necessarily. Some Mary Sue's/Gary Stu's can work and there are forms of wish fulfillment that don't require that type of character.
>>
>>142667899
>Was I the only one creeped out by that episode with the candles making the pocky that makes you laugh for an hour?

I had other more pressing and slightly arousing concerns
>>
Well it really comes down to how well the protagonist is written and how much he has going on.

Characters like Kirito suck because their whole schtick is "IS THE BEST" or some degree of "FIGHTS FOR HIS FRIENDS" and in terms of personality are rather bland.

compare to someone like Vash the Stampede. Vash is OP as fuck but struggles because he's regularly put into situations and conflicts that go beyond just winning a fight. He's anchored by an ideal so it's not just about winning. It's about finding a way to win without killing, because while he could probably flat out murder a lot of his foes the second he does he loses.

The show also isn't afraid to take the piss out of him for comedy, he's goofy as fuck and people often react to him with the operate level of eye rolling and while he is a big goof ball the show doesn't hesitate to let you see his more sentimental side and how heavily this shit weighs on him.

He's treated like an actual character
>>
>>142669826
>Asterisk and Hundred aren't all happy, the MC has to yell and pull out another powerup so he can look all exhausted and powerful every couple of arcs. I think you really get into full on wish fulfillment when its far too easy on the protag in every sense where he's literally impossible to stop like onii-sama.
there is no power limits in Asterisk or hundred. the MC pulls out more power whenever he's moderately challenged, and "fainting" or "collapsing" only gives him the chance to have the bitches in his harem to give him a lap pillow.

There is no permanent damage, in many cases these extra burst of power simply shorten a fight the MC had well in hand just so he could look even more badass and add more bitches to his harem.
>>
>>142667290
>The truth is, they offer a fantasy where your problems are much cooler problems, your stresses are much more worthwhile
This is the thing. A lot of people, especially the type who seek wish fulfillment, don't find meaning in their lives. Wish fulfillment shows let them live a meaningful existence vicariously. I think that's an important point too, because wish fulfillment doesn't necessarily have to be the stereotypical "everything is sunshine and rainbows".

That's why there's an element of wish fulfillment in shows like Evangelion, despite Shinji's shitty life. And I'm not talking about him piloting a giant robot or living with hot girls. The fulfillment comes from Shinji's meaningful struggles. See, Shinji has a lot of problems people can relate to, but his problems attain significance due to the mysticism in the show. So his problems aren't only his own, but all of humanity's. We can project that meaning back into our lives. That's why Evangelion's message resonates with so many people, despite the message running counter to their own lifestyle. You'd think that people who are so affected by the show would become less otaku and not more, but they don't because Evangelion is really a sweet poison. I say all of this as a huge Eva fan.
>>
>>142671008
>Isn't wish-fulfillment just a show with Mary Sues or Gary Stus?
not really-
if the world is one of suck, there is no wish fulfilment fantasy. Many of the heroes of Xanxia or Wuxia novels are overpowered badass gary stus. But those stories generally avoid wish fulfillment due to the fact they generally take place in a universe filled with suck. the lives of those mcs usually are torturously painful and dangerous, and often times filled with tragedy.

This doesn't mean there is no wish fulfillment fantasy can't be found in xanxia/wuxia novels, but most if it is not. which points back to your question "isn't it wish fulfillment if the mc is a gary stu?", as you can see, no it is not. there is more to wish fulfillment.

FYI, tragic backstories don't mean it's not a wish fulfillment. while it's sad ayato's maternal figure, his sister is in a coma, there is absolutely nothing wrong in his life he can't just crush at ease, he has a harem of bitches fighting over his dick, and he's the most powerful person in the world.
>>
>>142674217
>wish fulfillment
>NGE

no, it's called power fantasy. its about the powerless grasping for power. Asuka trying to gain control over her life by riding the most destructive machine man made, trying to find value in herself through her fighting for mankind, in hopes she can stop wishing she could kill herself (yes, she's suicidal)

Shinji who wants his father's love, and misses a mother's love, find his mother in the giant robot he's using to try to win his father's love. By fighting he can gain control over his "powerless" and "pointless" life.
>>
>>142667161
This.

You can feel the vibe of stroking the MC's dick in the writing.
>>
>>142666799
MC succeeds because they were "nice" and nothing else.

Because if you add more distinct characteristics it gets harder for people to self-insert.
>>
>>142667290
>The truth is, they offer a fantasy where your problems are much cooler problems, your stresses are much more worthwhile, and the character you are to identify with has ample amount of agency to deal with these issues or is even far beyond any notion of actually losing.

I can't understand this since my personal wish fulfillment WN would be just one guy having a stress-free life with a 10/10 waifu with him.
>>
>>142671008
The term Mary Sue itself is dubious.
>>
>>142674349
>But those stories generally avoid wish fulfillment due to the fact they generally take place in a universe filled with suck. the lives of those mcs usually are torturously painful and dangerous, and often times filled with tragedy.

>he doesn't know the revengeboner lots of depressed people have

Revenge against society that has screwed you over and all that.
>>
>>142674624
>Revenge against society that has screwed you over and all that.
that's a power fantasy. similar to the examples of NGE I spoke about.
>>
>>142666799
>What makes a show "wish-fulfillment"?
Anything I don't like.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.