[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Sub group releases with an honorifics-removed track and an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8
>Sub group releases with an honorifics-removed track and an honorifics-preserved track
>The preserved track subs "anata" as "Koundou-san"

Why are modern subs so retarded?
>>
epic fucking thread!
>>
>>142622788
dank +1
>>
>>142622788
why the hell would you use the honorifics track
>>
should have used omae instead
>>
File: 1434258511315.jpg (18 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1434258511315.jpg
18 KB, 600x600
>>142622917
>>
>>142622917
Because it's much better than having schoolgirls call each other "miss". And the second episode had scenes about honorifics which always come out retarded in localised scripts.
>>
>>142623247
>Because it's much better than having schoolgirls call each other "miss".
Uh, you do realize most people would just use their names instead, right
>>
>>142623424
>tl note: -chan means loo
>>
>Why are modern subs so retarded?
Not like old subs were inherently better.
>>
File: monpe kita.jpg (270 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
monpe kita.jpg
270 KB, 1280x720
>>142624118
They were much better.
>>
>>142622788
>>Sub group releases with an honorifics-removed track and an honorifics-preserved track
>>The preserved track subs "anata" as "Koundou-san"
What the flipping fuck.
If you're going to keep the honorifics at all, fucking do it right. Don't waste time making a 2nd track without them, don't be a fucking prick about it fucking it up. Goddamnit, people. This is one of those reasons I learned how to hand-edit subtitle files.
>>
>>142623247
>And the second episode had scenes about honorifics which always come out retarded in localised scripts
THIS IS VERY FUCKING REASON WHY "LOCALIZED" IS THE WRONG MOTHERFUCKING GODDAMNED RETARDED WORD TO USE FOR THIS!!!!
NEVER "localize." ALWAYS JUST FUCKING TRANSLATE. And do it in the most direct, concise way possible. Just plainly say in English what the Japanese text says. NO unnecessary dyslexic words. Again, glad I know how to translate, though watching something with fucked up subs ruins trying to enjoy a show now and then.
>>
>>142622788
Fucking learn nip and watch it raw. I can't understand the mentality of you people.
>>
>>142625532
>I am going to move my fist in a rapid, horizontal fashion so that is makes direct contact with the lateral aspect of your cranium.

Because literal translations are always best.
>>
>>142625533
What are you even doing watching Japanese animation if you haven't mastered the language yet?
>>
>>142625532
Knows how to translate, watches subs anyway.
Sasuga /a/utist!
>>
>>142625533
That's because you're an idiot
>>
lol eops
>>
>>142625773
>>142625790
No I am not the moron asking for Japanese to remain untranslated in my chinese cartoons.

If you are worried about missing context because of honorifics, you should worry about every single word missing the true context english can never convey.

tl;dr if you want it like the original just watch the original
>>
>>142625532
>I know how to translate
>NEVER "localize." ALWAYS JUST FUCKING TRANSLATE. And do it in the most direct, concise way possible. Just plainly say in English what the Japanese text says.

No, you're fucking retarded. In the case of honorifics I agree that they should be left in, but there are situations where a high context language can't be directly transliterated into a low context one. If I did this for the 4koma I'm doing every second line would just be "right!?". You have to accept that there are some cases where you have to insert context that wasn't there or otherwise modify the text.
>>
>>142625532
>I know how to translate
You don't, idiot. You know two languages maybe and that's it. Knowing how to speak two languages doesn't make you a translator.
>>
>>142625532
Localised isn't the wrong word, it's exactly what they're doing.
But you're right in that they shouldn't be doing that.
>>
>>142625533
Why do you people think that the only steps in the process of learning a language are "zero knowledge at all" and "complete mastery"?
It's a language that takes years of serious study to become fluent and in the meantime you're stuck understanding enough to be aware of blatantly off translations while not being fluent enough to do without them.
>>
>>142623424
Uh, you do realize you're a faggot.
>>
>>142626220
Complete mastery! As if you needed more than a middle school understanding of japanese to watch chinese cartoons.
>>
>>142623424
Her nickname is "Youko-sama"
>>
>>142622788
because they are catering autists like you
>>
>>142626037
Suddenly I'm having flash backs to mgsv and how ocelot refused to translate for you despite knowing Russian because he said he couldn't do real time translations
>>
File: 4B930CC88.gif (253 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
4B930CC88.gif
253 KB, 480x270
>>142626838
> Triggered so easily
You are still wrong, the honorific is part of the joke, you have to translate it or there's no joke.
>>
>>142624285
>old subs
>posts Amagi Brilliant Park
Oh wow, kid.

>>142625879
>I am not the moron asking for Japanese to remain untranslated
No, you're the moron who thinks "san" should be translated as "miss".

There's no fucking equivalent for honorifics in English, and you lose shitloads of context if you leave them out.
Most neurotypical people aren't listening to the words as they read the subs, but the seiyuu's tone of voice instead, which they align to the text.
It takes 10 seconds of googling, and a minute of reading to become familiar with Japanese honorifics in all their itinerations. Outside of some unhinged fear of being called a weeaboo by a sweaty Yank, there's no excuse whatsoever not to include them in the script.
>>
File: no escape.png (140 KB, 346x451) Image search: [Google]
no escape.png
140 KB, 346x451
>>142626454
>Sub Youko-sama as "Miss Youko"
>Also sub -san as "Miss"

If they were at least consistent about it it'd be tolerant.

>>142627285
>>old subs
>>posts Amagi Brilliant Park
>Oh wow, kid.
It was an example of shitty new subs, you retard. Who would ever consider that shitty rewrite to be good?
>>
>>142622788
That's because funi had "Kondou", and this group didn't bother to check what was actually said.
>>
>>142622788
"You" would have been too awkward or forceful.

This is thread is as embarrassing as when people don't understand wasei-eigo and get pissed at "inaccurate translations".
>>
>>142622788

>keep honorifics in
>still use "I" instead of "boku", "watashi" etc.
>not ending sentences with "wa" "yo" "kashira" etc.

I hate when subs do this.
>>
File: shitposting.jpg (173 KB, 750x850) Image search: [Google]
shitposting.jpg
173 KB, 750x850
>>142629939
>>
File: shitposting.png (193 KB, 750x850) Image search: [Google]
shitposting.png
193 KB, 750x850
>>142630716
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.