[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is GiTS SA so wildly different from the movie? There's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: 1456519107516.jpg (161 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1456519107516.jpg
161 KB, 1600x1200
Why is GiTS SA so wildly different from the movie? There's got to be a big reason for this i'm completely unaware of.

I'm watching SAC after finishing the first movie yesterday. Motoko feels like a completely different character. So does the plot theme, too. It went from showing deep insight about humanity into something about shooty futuristic cyber cops (which i still enjoy).

Which one is the "right" one? Which one is more faithful to the manga?

Did Oshii take liberties with the manga just to make a "deep" film to his name? Or did the series take liberty?
>>
Read the manga and find out.
>>
>Did Oshii take liberties with the manga just to make a "deep" film to his name?

He does that with all of his adaptations. See his Patlabor films, where he clearly wanted to make a Ghost in the Shell Patlabor film.

Reminds me of an interview where Miyazaki basically called the antagonist's motivation dumb and unrealistic, and Oshii could only say "i-is that so..."
>>
>>142533204
I saw the film and series first then read the manga and felt like neither of them are that similar to the manga. Their all quite different.
Though the film takes a completely different tone.
>>
>>142534090
>Reminds me of an interview where Miyazaki basically called the antagonist's motivation dumb and unrealistic, and Oshii could only say "i-is that so..."
Sounds like he's just being polite.
>>
>>142534557

He was shit on for a good two or three paragraphs. Poor Oshii.
>>
From what I've seen most of the adaptions take vary greatly, not just those two
>>
>>142534090
The Patlabor films predate GitS.
>>
Because put simply the writers of SAC where fanboys. And it showed.

Osshii had a story to tell. SAC just wanted to jack off their boner for the major. And that's why SAC sucked
>>
>>142535002

Then it's just Oshii being Oshii as usual.
>>
>>142535215
Mhm.
>>
File: 1453673821417.jpg (450 KB, 1920x1034) Image search: [Google]
1453673821417.jpg
450 KB, 1920x1034
The major has been different in every single adaptation.
even between SAC 1 and 2 (the most closely related) she has differences in her actions.
her character seems to always bend to fit into the strong character archetype however every time it is pointed out that she is different from the manga (or whatever the preferred version of her is by the writers) they try to rebuild her to hold similar strengths.
not every iteration was as good but i think that all in all they are separate and that is not necessarily a bad thing.
don't watch any of the newer stuff because it is very sub-par at best
>>
>>142534090
>He does that with all of his adaptations. See his Patlabor films
That's true. That garbage he did for the movies is fucking inexcusable. Now I have to suffer derpfaggots in the already rare Patlabor threads.
It's fucking disgusting.
>>
>>142537702
ARISE is great if you're not comparing it to everything else.
>>
Movie Major is the best major
>>
>>142539689
Movie GITS is best GITS
>>
arise was great
GREAT
>>
>>142533204
>Which one is more faithful to the manga?
This is the wrong question. The Manga isn't even the best GitS. They each stand on their own and they're just stories playing with similar themes with shared characters and settings.
>>
GitS:SAC/2nd GIG is best GitS.
>>
>>142539233
Well if we are, then it's shit, and most of it's scenes are re-hashes of scenes from the other parts of the franchise. It has nothing new to call it's own.

ARISE a shit.

A SHIT.
>>
Oshii is a hack fraud
>>
>>142534090
>Reminds me of an interview where Miyazaki basically called the antagonist's motivation dumb and unrealistic, and Oshii could only say "i-is that so..."

Is this in reference to GiTS or Patlabor?
>>
File: gits innocence.jpg (247 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
gits innocence.jpg
247 KB, 1280x1024
Oshii dropped the fucking ball on the script for Innocence. The plot and characters were good, but it's like he disregarded writing dialogue and instead just ripped pages randomly out of philosophy 101 textbooks he liked, stapled em together, and called it a script. Even my artsy friends agreed it was like a man with nothing to say tried to cover it up with pretentious copy pasta.

Even the first movie loaded with exposition was nowhere near as bad, and instead worked really well.
>>
>>142541348
>philosophy 101
People who say this haven't actually read any philosophy.
>>
Every adaptation is a little different. I like it, really, it means I can see different takes on the cast/characters in different ways. Kinda like american comics, which makes it something you don't see in manga too often.
>>
>>142541348

The script wasn't good but it sure as fuck isn't philosophy 101 you idiot.
>>
>>142534090
I like that interview where Oshii btfo's Miyazaki for being a pleb.
>>
>>142541385
This.

>>142541348
Your artsy friends sound like pretentious knobs for not actually discussing the film. Though I will indeed say that the novel tie-in for Innocence, which takes place shortly before the events of the movie, is a MUCH better version of the movie itself.
>>
>>142541385
>>142541426
>>142541512

Try not to get tied to semantics, you understand the meaning I am going for here.

He pretended to use high concepts to cover up his weak writing.
>>
I'm with you on this. Having watched every iteration of GITS this fur I've found things I liked and disliked about each of them.

Maybe it's due to the setting or the stories they tell but I never found it jarring to experience the different takes on the world/cast.
>>
>>142541590

was for: >>142541417
>>
>>142541534
Yeah I can believe it. The assault on Locus Solus was weak compared to the singular battle of Motoko and the tank.
>>
>>142535050
>And that's why SAC sucked
you take that back, it was fine for what it was
>>
File: 1336540234900.jpg (722 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1336540234900.jpg
722 KB, 960x1280
>>142539233
i said very sub-par annon,
that means i am comparing it directly.
>>
File: gaming with the oculus rift.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
gaming with the oculus rift.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>142533204
>something about shooty futuristic cyber cops
the tone between the film and the show is certainly different, but I think Stand Alone Complex is a little more complicated than just "cyber cops."

The season about the laughing man is pretty amazing in the way it predicted real life future events. I see the laughing man as being a lot like anonymous, in the sense that there really is no original laughing man. Corporations use the laughing man persona to stage fake attacks against themselves, and other people claim to be the laughing man when in fact they're just copycats with altogether different agendas. The parallels are amazing.

And season two? A refugee crisis that examines the motives behind suicide bombings in a way beyond "they're just crazy"? A story about a shady corporate lackey staging military interventions to provoke the refugees so they could trigger a war where he could reap the profits by selling the guns and ammo? A story about a guy using the internet to create his own 21st century Che Guevera?

The stories presented in SAC are amazing in their scope and complexity. They took full advantage of their medium: a 24 episode tv series. They could not work as movies without dumbing down the story.

The original Ghost in the Shell movie is pretty amazing, too, but it really just serves as an introduction to the "ghost in the machine" concept.
>>
>>142540718
Patlabor, I assume. I don't know if it's in regards to the first or the second; the second being more GitS like, while the first was liked by Miyazaki if I remember correctly. Is kind of like Ponyo, if you think about it.
>>
>>142541709
>you take that back, it was fine for what it was

what it was was fanboys wanking to their waifu for 52 episodes.

It was boring
>>
>>142542388
So...all of the refugee and criticism of 21st century society shit just flew over your head?
>>
>>142542055
I really liked that plot device of getting money through the sub-amounts of money that are transacted online.

It's just a really amusing concept.
>>
>>142533204
I still don't know if the MC is a dude or a chick.
>>
>>142542388
>it was 2deep4me so it was boring shit
It wasn't even that deep anon so you're probably just autistic.
>>
>>142533204
>Which one is more faithful to the manga?
SAC by far, though they're all three pretty distinct, especially Motoko's portrayal.

>Did Oshii take liberties with the manga just to make a "deep" film to his name?
This. Oshii does this with every film he works on. It worked kinda okay with GiTS '95, but he absolutely mangled Patlabor.

>>142534090
>>142535002
>>142535215
Jeez, fuckin plebs in here. Oshii wants to turn everything into Kerberos saga, not GiTS. He turned GiTS into Kerberos saga, he turned Patlabor into Kerberos saga. Have you fags never seen Jin-Roh or what?

>>142541348
>implying GiTS '95 is any different
Innocence is bad because it doesn't have the subtlety of '95. Not that '95 was subtle in any way, but Innocence gave up on trying to be grounded.

>>142535050
Oshii didn't have a story to tell, he had a theme to tell and nothing else. The plot of '95 is almost nonexistent and the characters are utilitarian at best. SAC has a complex and satisfying plot and fleshed out characters.

And fanboys of what? That point doesn't even make sense. The major's sexuality is greatly toned down from the manga in SAC, and they take great liberties reworking all of the material for the screenplay. Your point doesn't make sense, and SAC is the best GiTS.
>>
>>142534090
The Patlabor films predate the 1995 GitS movie and Oshii was part of the creation of the franchise, they aren't adaptions.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.