[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's have a real discussion about 3.33, no memeing or just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8
File: ev36.jpg (70 KB, 500x663) Image search: [Google]
ev36.jpg
70 KB, 500x663
Let's have a real discussion about 3.33, no memeing or just calling people idiots without an argument. I personally like it (8/10) even though there are some big issues with the film.

I personally think the timejump serves a real narrative purpose and that's it's a genius move by anno, i really would have liked to see what happened between 2 and 3 and i wonder why it were cut. But evangelion 3.0+1.0 hasn't released yet and i have no idea if the scenes will feature in it in some capacity so i will not judge the film on that point before the rebuilds are done.

What i like about 3.33 is that it takes both the audience and shinji out of the eva formula. Both we and shinji have no idea what's going on and only want an explanation, characters that shinji has known for a large part of his life (as we also has known them in media form) act angry and even hateful towards him. I have heard the complaint that they act "out of character" but i think that's the point. It mimics shinji's frustration with our. We are meant to feel frustrated or even angry at the film just like how shinji feels in his situation.

The film gets strong reactions out of people, many more times hate than love. And i think that's something that's really amazing about it. I thing that is the reaction that they tried to get on purpose.

I would love to hear your thoughts on it.
>>
>>142326650
It has very little context. Anno had better deliver in 3.0 + 1.0.
>>
File: 685865.jpg (147 KB, 697x1000) Image search: [Google]
685865.jpg
147 KB, 697x1000
I think the main flaw of 3.0 and the reason behind its hate is the idiot plot.
Basically everyone acts in a retarded way as to ensure the plot will go in a certain way, when it could easily have been prevented.
One example of this is the final battle scene where Kaworu tells Shinji to not pull the spears.
Later on we see Kaworu is perfectly able of controlling the Eva, making it stab and restrain itself by just looking at it similar to what he did to Unit 02 in episode 24.
So why didn't he do this when Shinji was going to pull the spears? Instead he just sat there with half-hearted resistance.
The fact that Shinji pulled the controls from him shouldn't even matter, since he's able to control the Eva after regardless of this fact.

It's things like this littered throughout the entire movie that make it bad.
Yes, the atmosphere was good. Yes, the soundtrack was fantastic. Yes, the animation and voice acting was stellar. All the Kaworu and Shinji bonding scenes were very well done, one of my favorite parts in all of Rebuild.
But if you don't have good characters and a good plot to framework it, then what's the point?
>>
>>142326650
>I personally think the timejump serves a real narrative purpose and that's it's a genius move by anno,

Dude what? No. C'mon. Were you here in last night's Eva 3.0 threads? I was pointing out how the timeskip undermined what 2.0 was building up to be by completely sweeping a lot of plot elements under the rug and completely forgetting about them. These plot elements were Mai, the Mark 06. Along with some other things, such as Shinji losing Kensuke and Touji without ever fully developing a strong bond with them as in NGE.

This timeskip essentially left 2.0 as an unfinished story. That is a big time fuck up, and there's no going back and no fixing it

Anno basically decided to rewrite the entirety of Rebuild halfway into the story...with two movies already out.

What this guy is thinking. I have no idea.
>>
>>142327172
>Later on we see Kaworu is perfectly able of controlling the Eva, making it stab and restrain itself by just looking at it similar to what he did to Unit 02 in episode 24.

Yeah, that was extremely bad. Horrible writing, just plain horrible.
>>
>>142327134
>It has very little context.

Yes that's also a very big thing, I believe that when 3.0 + 1.0 eventually releases it will have a big if not massive impact on how people will view 3.33. If it delivers on the questions asked and ends on a real strong note i think 3.33 will be much more appraised than now.
>>
The .33 in 3 wasn't gay enough they shouldve just named it "Evangelion 3.33x2"
>>
>You dont understand anon, the story was SUPPOSED to be frustrating and confusing. It's all part of the master's plan.

This is what rebuildfags believe.
>>
>>142326650
Im so fucking tired of discussing about evangelion honestly its like we get a new younger audience that watches eva for the first time not realizing theyre actually spamming this board with shitposts because there really isn't anything new to talk about eva on a daily basis anymore
>>
>>142327524
Yes that is what my statement was you are correct, i just like to view thing in different perspectives. Doing that does not make me a rebuild fag. Nothing will ever beat the original show and EoE. (Probably)
>>
>>142327611
More or less. It's a never-ending sort of thing and really gives credence to the fact quality discussion only surfaces when new developments are had. It can't be helped.
>>
shit sucks
>>
File: Sasuga Anno sensei deska.png (273 KB, 624x480) Image search: [Google]
Sasuga Anno sensei deska.png
273 KB, 624x480
OP, if you tell me that 4.0(or 3.0+1.0,sasuga Anno sensei) is gonna explain all the shitstorm&unanswered questions 3.0 did, alongside character development and what was the deal with the original 3.0 preview(2009) in just 2 HOURS(or less), then maybe 3.0 might be excused.
>Giant Lilith-Rai returns and the rebuilds are indeed a sequel to Neon Genesis, reverting time plot/villain revealed, Anno delivers.
>OR they're actually casualised action-mecha remakes and Anno just wanted a quick buck, he never confirmed the psycho-analysis theme to be in the rebuilds from the beginning. /a seppuku's itself, anime dies.
Just you wait.
>>
>>142327611
It's all normies who are discovering new anime and being impressed by it as it is edgier than anything they had previously watched. Evangelion is by far the most popular one. That's why you see people coming on here all the time being stunned by the series and becoming hooked on it.

You can thank shit like SAO and SnK for broadening anime's general popularity.
>>
>>142326650
2.22 > all

Anyone stating otherwise are idiot. Done.
>>
>>142328309
Either
>The greatest anime film of all time, anno the absolute madman does it again
or
>a massive fucking shitstorm, eva autist and waifu fags commiting mass suduko

Can't wait
>>
i thought 1.11 was ok, it changed very little from what i recall, 2.22 was amazing, actually my favorite eva work. 3.33 was hot garbage for eva, but pretty ok if you pretend it was a different series. cool mellow yet dramatic atmosphere ruined by le edgy alternate timeline bs.
>>
Can anyone hook me up with the song playing from 21 seconds onward in this video? It's driving me crazy. I can't find the Evangelion pachinko machine soundtracks anywhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0e5lVGSpEQ
>>
I've been split on how to feel about Eva 3.33 since it's release for several reasons and I still can't really have a solid opinion on it.

On one hand, I'm kind of fond of the film making itself and the general tone that it takes. It feels desolate and uneasy and the fact that we're thrown into the plot with little knowledge the same way Shinji wakes up without knowing anything is something I can appreciate.
On the other hand, it's a fucking mess in terms of keeping threads from the lass movie together and makes 2.0 feel completely pointless and made 3.0 feel like a total waste of time. Kaworu in 2.0 and 3.0 seem like two completely different characters from the few times we saw him and the fact Anno retconned/scrapped what he had probably had planned initially in the "Next Time" segment was a terrible idea and makes the two movies feel disjointed, and not for the right reasons.

I try to concentrate on the nicer aspects of the film because they hold up extremely well and were stellar, but it's hard.
>>
>>142327366
the first two movies were 1.11 and 2.22
>>
it's nonsensical trash that betrays not only the core tenants and themes of evangelion but also every bit of setup in the previous two rebuild films
>>
Why didn't WILLE just kill Shinji?
>>
File: 260px-02_C152_penpen.jpg (21 KB, 260x199) Image search: [Google]
260px-02_C152_penpen.jpg
21 KB, 260x199
>>142326650
>I personally like it (8/10)
>even though there are some big issues with the film
>I don't want people to post retarded comments but it's fine when I'm the one to do so
>>
File: 1464514597856.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
1464514597856.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
Every thread, until you shave it
>>
>>142331241
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>142331299

You can (always) be free
>>
File: 1000104836_7.jpg (54 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
1000104836_7.jpg
54 KB, 560x560
Needed more Kiryu
>>
File: 1417668364994.jpg (248 KB, 1250x1250) Image search: [Google]
1417668364994.jpg
248 KB, 1250x1250
>Evangelion thread
>>
>>142331241
Is that purple thing down there EVA unit 01?
what the fuck is mari and asuka doing
what the
>>
i just whatched Evangelion for the mech battles
>>
I watched Evangelion to appear intelligent and educated.
>>
>>142333539
The battles were all pretty good. Sandalphon was my favorite. the whole sequence in the volcano was really good.
>>
>>142333641
i liked the space battle in 3.33 badass as fuck
and the music was top tier
>>
>>142334239
So many people complain about 3.33 having a crap plot and their right to say it, but it also has some of the coolest visuals and fights along with a truly excellent sound track. You have to enjoy it for completely different reasons than for the series and EoE, but it's still really enjoyable.
>>
File: 1464203084776.png (50 KB, 1033x375) Image search: [Google]
1464203084776.png
50 KB, 1033x375
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.