[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shit got real
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 23
File: image.jpg (990 KB, 1536x1941) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
990 KB, 1536x1941
Shit got real
>>
>>142218343
Put the fist in pacifist.
>>
>>142219301
Kek
>>
Is he still a "please give me brain damage" slave?
>>
>>142219441
No, he's a humble merchant now.
>>
>>142219512
Humble "please give me brain damage" merchant?
>>
File: 017.png (470 KB, 1114x1600) Image search: [Google]
017.png
470 KB, 1114x1600
How can a 50 year old man be so moe?
>>
>>142219705
>Talk shit of Floki's nepotism moments earlier.
>Promote his grandnephew for the job.
THE MOEST.
>>
>>142219705

okay
I'll start reading this
>>
>>142218343
The irony here is that this is the 2nd and even bigger chance for him to reign in the vikings, giving him a real position of power to help Canute create a utopia without needless killing.

And naturally because of history, he can't do that and see ahead. He just ya know has to be retarded. It's gonna be beautiful when he gets run off and have to return.
>>
>>142219441
Yes.
>>
when do we get more of thorfin's sister
>>
>>142218343
HARVEST MOON SAGA WHEN?
>>
>>142218343
No time for pacifism, crossbow bolt through Jomis' skulls.
>>
File: yotsubawut.jpg (31 KB, 254x192) Image search: [Google]
yotsubawut.jpg
31 KB, 254x192
I just realized that young Thorfinn got a pair of knives as a weapon for the sole purpose of applying his fighting style into advancing paciFisting

God, I feel dumb now
>>
>>142222859
>he can't do that
I wouldn't say that.

He has to become a prominent figure to be written about in the sagas anyway, right?

And the sagas have him returning from Vinland in any case, the expedition is temporary.
>>
>>142218343
yes Vinland Saga is real shit
>>
>>142226873
this, the Vinland thing is just a grand adventure, it doesn't achieve much

the big thing is bringing Christianity to Greenland
>>
>>142226873
He returned from Vinland because his expedition was KICKED OFF VINLAND. As in his silly dream in this manga is a complete failure. Let that sink in for a minute.
>>
>>142226993
>>142226942
Crossing the themes of the sagas and the manga, both Thorfinn and Canute failing at their lofty goals is a theological necessity.

Utopianism is sinful.
>>
>>142226877
I know /a/ just sort of says this about everything, but I'm trying figure out if you seriously think Vinland Saga is bad. What in the world could make you hate this manga? At worst, it's a beautifully drawn exploration of this age in history.
>>
>>142226993
It's kind of a bummer knowing that his dream of a peaceful settlement in Vinland is doomed to failure
>>
>>142227260
>>142226942

You know that Vinland is in North America, right? Basically the east coast of modern day Canada. It's REALLY DAMN FAR from Europe. He beats Columbus there by about 400 years and on tiny ships. That's hardly an accomplishment to just scoff at.
>>
File: Sin título.jpg (12 KB, 142x160) Image search: [Google]
Sin título.jpg
12 KB, 142x160
>>142219705
>>
>>142226942
>the big thing is bringing Christianity to Greenland

It's like Leif and his family aren't Christians living in Greenland already.
>>
>>142227144
I don't know about utopianism being sinful, but I do know that Thorfinn is neck deep in escapism while Canute for all his lofty goals doesn't realize that it doesn't end magically once you reach the finish line and that the utopia you seek to create must be maintained.

Canute technically achieves what he seeks to do, the North Sea Empire is fucking huge, maybe not Rome huge or China huge, but it's still god damn huge.

Yet he didn't even need no fucking eunuch to mess his family up with coups and shit, his sons were just god damn incompetent. Any hope of utopia dies with him.

>>142227260
Vinland Saga is a very very very slow tragedy. Like a train wreck going at 1 kmph. You can't avoid it but god damn is it slow.

>>142227358
Doesn't mean much when Leif was there first, the only accomplishment he built up was staying there for awhile, and honestly that means shit when it ends with you getting booted off without the booty to show for it. When your greatest fighter in the sagas is a fucking woman who strips naked and gets angry scaring off the chugs you know your team was a bunch of pussies.
>>
>>142227219
The farmland saga was too long.
>>
>>142227487
*Iceland, sorry.

>>142227358
The point is it didn't last. In the sagas it establishes Thorfinn as a successful man (which he already was I guess) and makes him wealthy, which is fair enough for a Norse adventurer but a crushing defeat for Thorfinn as depicted by the manga.

Hopefully he learns from it.
>>
>>142227493
He did get booty.

The problem is manga Thorfinn is not after booty.
>>
>>142227493
Utopianism is sinful because it sets out a goal which is, in Christian theology, explicitly impossible.

Doubly so when you commit extra sins to try and get to your impossible goal.
>>
>>142227688
Well that was kinda what I meant by booty, probably should have worded it better instead of going for the joke.

It still wasn't much given what they had to go through though. It's not like it was some short excursion it took chunks of his life but of course in real life I doubt Thorfinn was a candidate for the Jomsvikings chieftainship.

In manga though? Oh man does he fuck everything up despite heaven siding with him at every turn. It's like the story is crafted so that the world around him says "HEY YOU, HERE'S ANOTHER CHANCE TO SET THINGS RIGHT, STOP TRYING TO RUN AWAY" and he just keeps on doing it acting like his actions are the only ones noble enough for his redemption. It's beautiful.

I don't even know if Yukimura is a tragedy lover or a sadist at this point.
>>
>>142227743
Thorfinn doesn't really commit extra sins though, and if feuding/warring for unification is a sin then basically 50%+ of the population of Europe sin like crazy during that period.

I mean the fight at Vinland isn't even his fault, unless you think he has responsibility as leader but I don't even know if he was leader.
>>
>>142227767
It doesn't seem like he would enjoy being a jomsviking leader or even keep fighting and murdering people. Do you remember the nightmares of his, fueled by guilt?
>>
>>142227959
That doesn't matter, he's not going to Vinland out of shits and giggles either. It's for redemption. What better way to redeem himself than to redeem an entire PEOPLE grown on the culture of warfare?

Read his reunion with Canute again, he flat out admits Canute's dream far exceeds his own, he just doesn't have the balls to go down that path because it requires more blood shed.

But he's now given a chance to be put squarely in a position of power. Not just as Canute's lackey, but as the mother fucking chieftain of the Jomsvikings. He has the full support of Thorkell the Tall, and his lineage is pretty much god tier as are his achievements.

What better circumstance to reform your fellow vikings than this? To instill the same lesson you learned to you fellow man while having your words carry much weight?

Oh wait, fuck that. It's risky, and my delusional plan of creating a dream land overseas is much better. There's no way I can fix these savages, but those guys across the waters definitely aren't like that and everyone who comes with me are all victims, therefore they cannot possibly become the aggressors because they know the pain of being victims. Yeah, this is coming from me, a kid who spent his entire childhood killing seeking revenge for his dad, totally logical.

It's escapism anon, and it's amazingly done because it's realistic. He's too fucking stupid to realize it, because get this: Thorfinn was always an idiot. He was an idiot when he was a brat, he was an idiot following Askeladd, he was an idiot when he was a slave, and he's still an idiot now.

There is no inconsistency and THAT is why the tragedy is beautiful. Like Father Like Son. You can lead them towards a better future like a horse to water, but damn if you try to make them 'drink'.
>>
Just catching up with the chapters, fuckin technoguru crossbow woman outta nowhere.
>>
>>142227534
*not long enough
>>
>>142228085
Well written
>>
File: she wants the d.png (334 KB, 1032x550) Image search: [Google]
she wants the d.png
334 KB, 1032x550
>>142227688
>The problem is manga Thorfinn is not after booty.
Gudrid will give it to him, whether he wants it or not.
>>
>>142228085
>he just doesn't have the balls to go down that path because it requires more blood shed
I think you kinda misunderstand the character and his whole christian philosophy. I'm not saying that he is right, mind me, but that you push your worldview and ethics unto him pretty hard.
>>
>>142228085
You're awfully naive if you think vikings, doubly so for the jomsvikings, would accept anyone telling them to stop pillaging, raping and murdering. To have anyone saying it to them that they shouldn't do it would be tantamount to betrayal. He would probably lose support from his troops and Thorkell fairly quickly, ending up being ousted from power or outright violently deposed.
>>
>>142231664
I understand the Christian philosophy, but he isn't wholly Christian at this point. He just took an interest in the bible. And I'm not the one pushing hard, it's the author who is. He's literally throwing chance after chance after chance to Thorfinn making statistically impossible events occur time and time again consecutively just to hammer in the point.

So while yeah, Thorfinn can be under the influence of Christianity, that doesn't mean what I said was wrong. Why can't he choose to go Jesus mode and talk-no-jutsu the Jomsvikings into being pacifists like he is? To become a glorified police force instead through appealing to their honor? I don't remember Jesus saying FUCK YOU to everyone when he got nailed to a cross. Why must he run away at every turn? Was Noah's Ark part of the bible?

He's perfectly all right with using his fists to put people down in every manner but maiming and killing, yet the moment the Jomsvikings come into play it's a no no? It's not like I'm saying he has to impose his views on them, but rather simply SHOW them that there's another way. How can you expect people to change if you won't even give them your 2 cents and make a sincere effort to appeal to them?

I'm pretty sure even today Christians knock on my door to preach and try to convert me, so where is this logic of just leaving the sinners to get fucked come from? Tell me what I am missing.
>>
>>142231552
Gudrid a ugly shit.
>>
>>142231694
No more naive than thinking he can go to Vinland and establish Utopia, so it's perfectly in character. However you're wrong about Thorkell, he just has to win over his heart with that non-sense about being a true warrior.

The guys under Canute have already stopped pillaging raping and murdering you realize? So unless you wanna tell me the manga is taking way too many liberties and is full of shit I don't think you should be arguing one possibility is unrealistic while hand waving the other as if it didn't happen.
>>
>>142231931
True, crossbow waifu's way hotter and mechanically inclined to boot
>>
Hiatus when?
>>
>>142231967
My nigga of refined taste, you know the boltdrill
>>
Thorfinn made his pacifist utopian shit up on the spot. He doesn't know how he's going to achieve his goal, all he knows is how he doesn't want to achieve it: through violence.

So yeah, he doesn't have to clue what he's doing. He's just bumbling his way there.
>>
>>142231967
>She gets off on banging the guy who killed her father
Freaky.
>>
>>142231879
I don't get your point at all, there mus be some deeper misunderstanding at play here.

The way i read the manga was pretty straightforward:
>be murderhobo
>Realize being a peaceful farmer is better
>can't be no farmer in vikingland AKA murderhobo: the Civ
>decide to fuck off to the end of the Earth while trying not to leave a trail of bodies on the way out

I do not see what in this chain of events and life choices you find tragic or stupid.
>>
>>142232353
Murdering and being viking is fun. Abandoning it is tragic.
>>
>>142231931
>not wanting to have awkward virgin sex
Shit taste confirmed.
>>
>>142232353
Then you don't get the point of this manga sorry. I recommend re-reading, and focus on the parts where Thors meets Askeladd then follow up with Thorfinn reuniting with Canute.

And I never found any part of this manga stupid. I said Thorfinn is stupid. As in he's an idiot. An uneducated idiot. Are you taking any offense to that? Do you think this brat who grew up without a father for the majority of his life and spent all his childhood killing for his father's killer is...educated? The same kid who knew nothing but how to COLDSTEEL niggas with knives?

Why are you even trying to argue? Do you not know what happens at Vinland? Do you not know what happens to the North Sea Empire? Cause if you don't know the events of this story I don't think you should bother spoiling yourself just over discussion.

What I'm discussing is how the manga, as in the author's own inserted shit and liberties he's taken, has turned the the saga of Vinland from a simple journal of an expedition into a tragic journey of escapism, and it links directly to Canute's quest for creating a Utopia and how it unfolds later down the road because Yukimura ties it all fucking together.

Do you get it? Cause from your post I'm 80% sure you don't even know the historical events we're talking about.
>>
File: 1456614004167.gif (489 KB, 400x275) Image search: [Google]
1456614004167.gif
489 KB, 400x275
>>142219301
>>
>>142232475
The one who seems to not get this manga is you. You are treating it as a failure in following the historic accounts or a shitty parallel to it instead of its own thing. Why does it matter if I know anything or not about the historic accounts of the real Throfinn in his travels to the real Vinland? This is a fucking work work of fiction, nigger.
>>
>>142232475
And to add to this, the relationship between Thorfinn and Canute, which did not exist at all in reality, is pretty much tailored for what I posted because each acts as a foil to the other prior to their reunion. One refuses to compromise to the point where he's punch drunk, but ends up using his fists anyways in the future, while the other murdered others because the ends justify the means however reeled it in good afterwards. The reunion balanced the two, which is how we have Paci-Fist right now. What really matters however is how each of them play out later on where Thorfinn aims too high while Canute is satisfied with too little. One sees too far ahead, the other the opposite. Both are adamant that their path is the right one however.

It's practically like the nip version of Sima Yi and Zhuge Liang, only a lot dumber.
>>
>>142232641
>You are treating it as a failure in following the historic accounts or a shitty parallel to it instead of its own thing.

No I don't, you're reading comprehension has once again failed.

>Why does it matter if I know anything or not about the historic accounts of the real Throfinn in his travels to the real Vinland?

Because it ties into why it's a tragedy you dumb fuck. You gonna argue that Romeo and Juliet isn't a tragedy because you didn't know it ends with both of them dying over a misunderstanding?

Thanks for flat out admitting you're chimping out telling me to stop posting shit that goes over your head and that I, the one who knows what's going on and relates to the author's themes, is wrong because you, the dumb mother fucker who refuses to educate himself, wants to be the authority figure on what genre the series is.

Shut the fuck up little niglet. I get that you're sperging out over being offended your favorite Tibetan cave painting looks different in the eyes of someone who scares you, but save the chug dance for when Thorfinn actually lands on Vinland.
>>
File: youre faggot.jpg (94 KB, 330x428) Image search: [Google]
youre faggot.jpg
94 KB, 330x428
>>142232746
>getting this autistic over Vietnamese bamboo carvings
Jesus fuck man. Calm your faggotry.
>>
Not saying the art in Planetes is bad, but why is it so shit compared to this?
>>
>>142232806
>projecting your butthurt because you got called out and now realize you've been chimping out for no reason

Jesus fuck man, stop sucking your own dick and blaming me for it.
>>
>>142233060
Planetes was weekly.
>>
>>142233085
I'm not the anon you're arguing with, fag.
>>
>>142233119
Oh, so you're an even bigger nigger who just likes to post reaction images the first chance you get. What did I offend you by posting with too many words? Did it hurt your pea sized brain? Or do you have trouble reading it out loud due to lack of breath?

Fuck off faggot.
>>
File: autism increase.jpg (15 KB, 720x316) Image search: [Google]
autism increase.jpg
15 KB, 720x316
>>142233230
Jesus christ, how horrifying.
>>
>>142232806
Ebin meme
>>
>>142233286
Much funny
>>
>>142233230
Just how angry can one get over nothing?
>>
>>142233275
>anyone who types more than one sentence per post is autistic

I know Vinland appeals to your inner gorilla, but do you realize some of us here actually look at the words and try to discuss things?

Yeah, never mind rhetorical question. Having that image on your computer says it all.
>>
fuck off with all the talking, just wanna see thorkell and thorfin fuck some pussy then fuck eachother asses.
>>
>>142233385
>anyone who types more than one sentence per post is autistic
Your rage over nothing certainly is, at least.
>>
>>142233324
This thread will have nothing at this rate given your contributions.
>>
File: laughs ironically inside.jpg (52 KB, 376x419) Image search: [Google]
laughs ironically inside.jpg
52 KB, 376x419
>>142233286
>>
>>142233452
Did you learn that in school? Or is that personal experience I'm hearing? You're certainly showing me, joining the thread just to be useless.
>>
>>142233430
Man you know you guys killed the thread when a faggot like this shows up.
>>
>>142233518
>You're certainly showing me, joining the thread just to be useless.
Is that personal experience I'm hearing?
>>
File: Viland a cute.png (218 KB, 660x277) Image search: [Google]
Viland a cute.png
218 KB, 660x277
>>
>>142233579
I wouldn't know, I'm busy being autistic by actually discussing remember? Oh wait, you're just trying to copy me cause you got nothing to say again.
>>
>>142233617
thorfinns ass after getting creampied by thorkells big badonga.
>>
>>142233465
Then I'll contribute the following statement.

Canute a cute
>>
>>142233651
>Sperging out at people that don't care about the real-life counterpart of the manga is taken as "discussion" now
My, how /a/ has fallen
>>
>>142218343
Oh, a new chapter. Sweet.
>>
>>142233736
Oh thanks for outing yourself for samefaggotry. You lasted a good 15 minutes or so this time, but the moment you posted anything longer than a sentence you just gave it away.

You should just decide, either put in the time to learn to type, or shut the fuck up bitch nigger. It was never about real life counter part, it's about what's GOING to happen retard and how that relates to the author's own shit.

Unless you wanna start suggesting that Thorfinn is gonna become king of the chugs and go to space. Either way, this game ends, and even sadder is that you pretended to be someone else just to get away. But you just couldn't resist could you?
>>
File: kek.png (60 KB, 231x252) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
60 KB, 231x252
>>142233964
>calling me a samefag
>never pretended to not be me
>>
File: 781301.gif (1 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
781301.gif
1 MB, 320x180
>>142233964
>>142234078
You're both obnoxious as fuck.

By all means, do continue.
>>
File: Vinland Saga v09 - 122.jpg (277 KB, 850x1219) Image search: [Google]
Vinland Saga v09 - 122.jpg
277 KB, 850x1219
>>142233695
I must concur.
>>
>>142232457
If I wanted, I'd just go get laid. Awkward sex a shit.
>>
>>142232475
I'm >>142232353 , I just got back from a stroll and oh boy, the thread escalated quickly. I understood what you were saying about Thorfinn, I just think you are too quick to bestow judgement upon the character and upon the story itself.

As >>142232641 pointed out rather in a rather uncongenial way, it is a work of fiction, with some fictional events already deviating from History as it went.

The point of the recent twists and turns (regarding the Jomsviking and the huntress both) is that the past cannot be erased just like that, and that prior violence will catch up with you. So far, Thorfinn managed to somehow deal with it in a peaceful way and not end up dead. The quest for redemption and peacefulness might end up in failure, but it might also simply end on a more nuanced note.

My point being that your analysis is not incoherent nor stupid, but you are in my opinion overprojecting a little bit here, as >>142232287 has said.

Peace unto you sempai.
>>
File: vinland2.png (330 KB, 774x489) Image search: [Google]
vinland2.png
330 KB, 774x489
>>142234853
>Awkward sex a shit
Speaking from experience? Sex is almost always a bit awkward the first time or two if it's with a new partner. It doesn't even matter if they're experienced or not.

I do wonder how the whole Gudrid/Thorfinn thing is going to turn out, though. It's not even a matter of experience, they both appear to be completely clueless on the subject altogether.
>>
>>142235550
I want to cuddle with Gudrid without getting stabbed.
>>
File: 1464699102526.png (404 KB, 1032x550) Image search: [Google]
1464699102526.png
404 KB, 1032x550
>>142231931
Why hate her?
>>
>tfw you're the only one who prefers farmland over prequel
>>
>>142236308
Nah man, come here.
It is the same for Vagabond ;_;
>>
>>142236308
>tfw you like them equally
>>
File: Askeladd.jpg (96 KB, 318x518) Image search: [Google]
Askeladd.jpg
96 KB, 318x518
>>142218343
Don't get your hopes up. He'll probably just evade them leaving Hild to do the dirty work.

Though I'm hoping that he has another vision of based Askeladd telling him to man the fuck up. God I miss that glorious motherfucker.
>>
>>142236368
>tfw you miss askeladd the most
>>
>>142236501
why does dr house have a sword
>>
>>142236534
I never even saw it before.
>>
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 259x194
>>142236823
he's pretty much dr house with his traits

>hates everything
>huge hypocrite
>betrays people
>witty/cocky

the guy even looks like him
>>
How often is this manga on hiatus? I'm thinking about giving it a try, but I don't want to suffer through another Berserk.
>>
>>142237557
Rarely as far as I can recall. Most ever is probably a month's break and it's a monthly series.

Translations are regular thanks to Hox and worst case MS.
>>
>>142237557
Never
>>
File: 1460855564570.jpg (125 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1460855564570.jpg
125 KB, 1280x720
>>142231552
They're in the north, right? isn't black hair uncommon up there?
>>
File: Ancient Shiggy.png (504 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Ancient Shiggy.png
504 KB, 500x500
>>142238331
It's about 50/50 here
>>
File: bkiik.jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
bkiik.jpg
6 KB, 225x225
ITS TIME TO STOP
>>
>>142218343
>kung fu vikings
Why is this allowed?
>>
>>142218343
Icelandic bajiquan soon.
>>
>>142219512
>No, he's a humble merchant now.
what has he actually sold? for a merchant he's pretty bad at his job
>>
>>142226850
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTOxcWR1y6E
>>
File: 1464374479934.png (34 KB, 237x325) Image search: [Google]
1464374479934.png
34 KB, 237x325
Not saying it will ever happen, but if it did, which studio would most likely do the manga justice?
>>
>>142240121
KyoAni.
>>
>>142240121
>implying it needs an adaptation
>>
File: 78391.jpg (14 KB, 202x249) Image search: [Google]
78391.jpg
14 KB, 202x249
>>142240252
They would do Thorkell's moe face justice.
>>
>>142238695
His dignity
>>
File: The other half is violence.jpg (110 KB, 379x596) Image search: [Google]
The other half is violence.jpg
110 KB, 379x596
>A whole month until next chapter
At least it isn't like Berserk
>>
>>142240121
Bones with Sword of the Stranger staff

>>142240252
I want this meme and studio to end
>>
>>142241609
Anon, a month between chapters with immediate scanlation upon release is nothing to complain about. That's better than like 90% of manga that even have a scanlation group to begin with.
>>
>>142241964
This. There can go several months, even years, upon release of several manga I enjoy. We're lucky to get VS almost immediately, with high quality scans even.
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.