[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Someone told me Asuka was not actually tsundere, but how can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (460 KB, 811x1162) Image search: [Google]
image.png
460 KB, 811x1162
Someone told me Asuka was not actually tsundere, but how can this be possible?
>>
Tsundere denial campaigns.
>>
>>142217970
Because it's true. She tsuns, but doesn't really dere.
>>
>>142217970
There's no dere
>>
>>142218241
>>142218166
Does the kiss scene not count? It's been a few months since my last rewatch, so I'm not the best judge right now, but from what I remember, that was a pretty dere scene
>>
>>142217970
She wants to be cared about on her own terms. The idea of submitting or being less than someone disgusts her. Asuka wants to be admired, never pitied, so there's no dere where she caves to another person.
Even her interactions with Kaji are attempts to seduce HIM.
>>
>>142218388

I think most people don't see it because normally there's a strong divide between the tsun and the dere, even when Asuka is being nice she will throw cattiness or sarcasm on top of it which give people mixed messages.
>>
>>142218388
Does not count. That's just kids being kids shit.

Tsundere is about posturing: a tough exterior masking a soft core that gets broken through with time and patience. With Asuka -- and this is important to understanding her character -- it's too deeply ingrained to be regarded as posturing anymore. Her basic psychologically patently disallows her to express sustained, meaningful showings of vulnerability. She can't turn dere on you.

The closest you get is her whispering for her mother in her sleep.
>>
>>142217970
Asuka is more of a tsungire. That is to say, she is tsun until once in a while she snaps into a fury (kireru). This isn't to say she doesn't have her lovable moments, but she is neither a traditional tsundere or a modernized version of it.
>>
>>142217970
Because she's dere as fuck to people she actually cares about (Kaji and Hikari)
And a bitch to people she doesn't care about (Shinji, Rei, pretty much everyone else)

She's not a tsundere, she's just a typical teenage girl.
>>
>>142218388
>Does the kiss scene not count?
She didn't want to kiss Shinji. She was upset Kaji was out with Misato. First went off to a date with a guy, then returned to take her mind off the situation (Misato and Kaji were taking long), she used Shinji to boost her ego.

It's not a I-It's not like I like you, Baka! She used him to make herself feel better because the guy she crushed on was with another woman.
>>
You could argue that she's sort of a proto-tsundere- she pretty much appeals to the same people that tsunderes appeal to, but doesn't quite fit the archetype due to the lack of any real dere-dere-ness.

That said, I think the bigger reason is that nostalgiafags associate terms like Tsundere and Yandere with The Era Of Anime Being Moe Shit Unlike The 90s When No Bad Anime Existed and thus feel like it taints her to apply that label.
>>
>>142220867
The bigger reason is that these terms work towards the larger context of self-insert anime where everything revolves around the mc and the girls can only function in terms of their relationship to him. Rebuild is like this

the original eva had actual characters that existed on their own and had their own issues completely unrelated to shinji, let alone basing their entire personality in trying to "win" him
>>
>>142217970
It really depends on what definition of tsundere you subscribe to. A more strict definition would typically lead to a non-association just due to her unconventional nature, while a broader definition may be more permissive.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.