[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Golden Era of anime is upon us now.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
The best time to be an anime fan has been in the last 10 years (2006-present).

Nostalgiafags won't agree, but, it's true. While we have lost a lot of long running tv shows in return we have gained more variety than ever before.

The biggest evidence of this would be to check the dates of 'best' or 'classic' shows. There's always a huge gap in between release dates. This is in stark contrast to today where you can list great shows that have come out within the last 10 years and realize that many of them were released in one year as opposed to over the course of 5-10 years. You cannot find that in any time pre-2006 as you can post-2006.

I know that the industry can't keep this up and there will be a time when the amount of shows and studios will dwindle down to nothing close to what we have today. When that happens people will look back to this time as the Golden Era of anime. A time when there was the most amount of variety and an incredible amount of excellent shows being released close together.

Pic related. 2011 is, possibly, one of the best years for any anime fan.
>>
>>142164878

selective memory

there were lots and lots of shows from 2006 that everyone has forgotten
>>
>>142164958
2006 was included, but 'classic' shows are usually shows that were really popular when they were released. Rarely does anyone consider any thing that under-performs as 'classic.'
>>
The golden age of anime were the 60s. Not because a lot of shows came out or because they were better than everything else but because they had an innocence and quality the later decades lack.
>>
>>142165106

welcome to /a/. mr. miyazaki
>>
>>142165106
>they had an innocence and quality the later decades lack

Is that what makes a 'golden age' though?
>>
I agree. I went through lists of all shows that aired during specific seasons in specific years, and I have to say that I was surprised. The kind of season we are used to now was not really around until the mid 90's. Before that it was either long runners, kids shows or OVA's for the most part. The 12~ episode format I've learned to love is relatively new and allows studios to do many different shows.
>>
>>142165237
Look at the "golden age" of other things.
The golden age is the one that came first.
>>
>>142165311
This I agree with and it's something I also didn't realize until I went looking back.

I remember being upset that seasons became so short, but I think differently now. There has been no other time in history that we have had so many great, good, or even decent shows in one season at any point in time. Before I would, at most, maybe watch one series p/year if even that. Now, though, I can watch up to 10 shows per season and thoroughly enjoy all of them.

Maybe it can be called a bubble now that's close to bursting, but overall I don't agree with people when they complain about anime v the anime of yesteryear.
>>
If we can finagle the years I think 97-07 is the best 10 year run for my tastes.
>>
>>142165746
I think defining a golden age of "anime" is retarded since the popularity of different genres has changed so much. I agree with OP, but I'm sure a mechafag would rather we were in the 90s. The question is, what do _you_ want from anime?
>>
>>142165872
>but I'm sure a mechafag would rather we were in the 90s

I agree with this too. What do you think has led to the decline in popularity of mecha? I mean there are still a lot out there, but nowhere near as many.

Are everyone just sick of them? Though, I appreciate Gundam IBO and Thunderbolt.
>>
>>142165746
That was like the primetime for harems if I recall?
>>
There was a lot of decent stuff, OP, but I hate the twelve-episode format that's popular nowadays. Not only is there not enough time to develop a proper story, but often you have anime that is in limbo because it didn't end properly, and it might or might not have a sequel.
>>
>>142166135
Pure speculation, but it seems like it went the way of every fandom which sees its average member grow up and slowly fades into the background. The moe bubble attracted a lot of younger otaku who might have built more gundam instead of stockpiling dakis.
>>
>>142166277
I'd rather have a decent 12 episode series than a crappy 26 episode series though. The latter used to be really common. Just thinking of things like Red Photon Zillion or Southern Cross makes me depressed.
>>
File: 1433798667199.jpg (21 KB, 384x216) Image search: [Google]
1433798667199.jpg
21 KB, 384x216
old anime has giant fighting robots

modern anime has comfy slice of life

both are good
>>
>>142164878
>The biggest evidence of this would be to check the dates of 'best' or 'classic' shows. There's always a huge gap in between release dates. This is in stark contrast to today where you can list great shows that have come out within the last 10 years and realize that many of them were released in one year as opposed to over the course of 5-10 years. You cannot find that in any time pre-2006 as you can post-2006.

That's just because more anime gets pumped out every year.
>>
>>142165746
06 is lackluster and loaded with meme anime and 07 deserves an exclusion because it's one of the all time greatest years for anime ever

95-05, much like vidyagames is where it's at, though
>>
>>142166277
It does suck when you have a pretty good show that will never get finished, because it didn't sell well enough, but I will take it over 50+ episode series that I thoroughly dislike. I can live a more peaceful life knowing that there are, at least, 100+ more shows I can watch instead.
>>
>>142166495
>comfy
Kill yourself cancer
>>
>>142166135
Things just can't go on forever. Mecha was popular for a hell of a long time when you think about it, it had no problem surviving the sci-fi + fanatsy mix that was popular in the 90's. When moe came about it was something that stood out, hard to imagine as it is now, and mecha just didn't fit into that too well.

One thing I'm thinking about is, what is the typical show this decade? Moe is in decline lately for sure, but I can't really think of anything that is prevailing in its stead.
>>
>No 6 not rushed trash
>excluding Madoka for it
OP just kill yourself
Even fucking Idolm@s was a better more memorable show than that homobait
>>
>>142166556
>1995

There were maybe like 5 really good shows that came out that year.
>>
>>142166620
I can't think of any one bubble. If anything it's the sheer diversity of genres that defines the past few years. Idol shows were a threat for a while
>>
>>142166676
95 was an amazing year for anime faggot
>>
>>142166408
>>142166567

I can definitely see where you guys are coming from, though there are plenty of terrible twelve-episode shows, as well, that pollute the schedule. That being said, shows like Dimension W and Kekkai Sensen ended up fairly disappointing, in my opinion, precisely because the shows had to be developed with the episode limit in mind, whereas Yamato 2199, for example, while probably could have done with being a bit longer, felt significantly more accomplished. That's not to say that there aren't quality twelve-episode shows, but they usually have to have much smaller scope to use the format well.
>>
>>142167057
You have to keep in mind too that shorter shows are less risky for the studio. If LN-Adaptation-#462 fails it's not that bad because they only put 12 episodes worth of cash into it, instead of 64 or even 100+.
>>
>>142165639
I agree and I don't at the same time.
Whilst 1-cour allows for more shows. it also forces stories to have a pacing that is sometimes far too fast. Thus you end up with half-baked shows and characters that are hardly memorable.

Shows like Madoka, that are like a very concentrated pill that really leaves an impression, are considerably rare and abusing on shock value would easily kill any magic these types of shows can have.

A big issue I'm having with current anime is the excessive amount of LN adaptations, most of which only serve as marketing for the books and which are never intended to have more seasons. Therefore, you get an incomplete work.

Classics like CCS, Rurouni Kenshin, LotGH or Flame of Recca would be nearly impossible to make today given studios' focus on making really short and very easy to sell anime. Notice that, even if old Mecha shows were made mostly to sell toys, they still consisted of a considerably lengthy story. In this regard shows like JJBA and HxH are very nice exceptions to have.

Most of the well-remembered anime we have from the 90s and the 00s were 2-cour.

One advantage 1-cour shows can have is that, due to their short length, they can force directors to trim any kind of fat and leave just the meat of the story, but the big problem is that not all directors know how to do that, not all directors actually do it, and you end up with shows that become a huge mess at the end.
A slower pacing though could be jarring at times, but it had the good aspect that you could take a breathe from the plot and see the characters in different circumstances and allow for a more round characterisation that a strictly plot-oriented story would otherwise not allow.
>>
>>142167429
It's not like "longer" anime doesn't exist anymore, Re:zero is 25 episodes, Macross delta is going to be 26 episodes or so, even gundam IBO is going to end up at somewhere between 38-52 episodes.
Sure most shows now are 11-13 episodes, but every so often we get 2 cour, or more shows.
>>
>>142167838
True, I'm not saying they no longer exist, but we've gone from what used to be an industry standard, to what has started to become more and more a rarity.
>>
>>142167057
There are shows that can do 12 episodes though.
>>
>>142167429
Look at Rurouni Kenshin. Due to their not being enough material it became filler hell anyways. Sailor Moon had a ton of filler and DBZ episodes were at a crawl. You don't have that in today's market, as much. Gintama takes breaks so thank god for that.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.