[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Even though I watch current Anime as it airs, there's something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: PDVD_018.jpg (87 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
PDVD_018.jpg
87 KB, 720x480
Even though I watch current Anime as it airs, there's something I love about 1990s Anime but I can't explain what it is

What might it be /a/?
>>
We may never find out.

I for one don't really care to know why you like 90s anime.
It's not bad taste, but it's not rare taste either. I don't think I'm going to tell my mother I met somebody who likes 90s anime.
>>
Some of the most enjoyable shows came out of the 90s

Cowboy Bebop
Excel Saga
Martian Successor Nadesico
Vision of Escaflowne
G Gundam
El-Hazard
Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure
Dai-Guard
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
>>
File: 1430612364006.jpg (100 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1430612364006.jpg
100 KB, 1280x720
>>142148502
>>
Have you tried watching 60s and 70s anime?
>>
>>142152637
Not Op. But is Ashita Joe a show that wrapped up its story in time? I came to like boxing in anime from watching Ippo until I found out there's no humanly possible way they could finish the anime the way the manga drags on and on.
>>
>>142148426

Very good art style and music too, some great OSTs were made in that decade. I would say the only bad thing about it when it came to anime was that the OVA format was basically replaced or not used as much now.
>>
>>142152798
The 1970 anime drags and the last third is filler, the 1980 anime is more to the point since the manga was finished by then.
>>
>>142153208
Is the 1980's one a true to form reboot though? It's categorized as a sequel for some reason.
>>
>>142148426

I don't know, the 90s were overall pretty garbage.

Early 90s were good, but that was just because they were an extension of the 80s
>>
>>142154052
It continues the story from the first 2/3rds.
>>
File: 4471664.jpg (347 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
4471664.jpg
347 KB, 600x800
One of the reasons is the passion of the creators. Back then there wasn't much of outsorcing to korea going on. Many old masters were still active.
Also, with the coming of the internet, the tempo of life has changed. We're currently living in an age of multiple crisises and we are constantly reminded of it by the media. That has certainly left its mark.

wiki:
In his 2006 paper The Death of Postmodernism and Beyond, the British scholar Alan Kirby formulated a socio-cultural assessment of post-postmodernism that he calls “pseudo-modernism.”[23] Kirby associates pseudo-modernism with the triteness and shallowness resulting from the instantaneous, direct, and superficial participation in culture made possible by the internet, mobile phones, interactive television and similar means: “In pseudo-modernism one phones, clicks, presses, surfs, chooses, moves, downloads.”[23]

Pseudo-modernism’s “typical intellectual states” are furthermore described as being “ignorance, fanaticism and anxiety” and it is said to produce a “trance-like state” in those participating in it. The net result of this media-induced shallowness and instantaneous participation in trivial events is a “silent autism” superseding “the neurosis of modernism and the narcissism of postmodernism.“ Kirby sees no aesthetically valuable works coming out of “pseudo-modernism.” As examples of its triteness he cites reality TV, interactive news programs, “the drivel found […] on some Wikipedia pages,” docu-soaps, and the essayistic cinema of Michael Moore or Morgan Spurlock.[23] In a book published in September 2009 titled Digimodernism: How New Technologies Dismantle the Postmodern and Reconfigure our Culture Kirby developed further and nuanced his views on culture and textuality in the aftermath of postmodernism.
>>
For me it was length. Back in the 90s most shows would be 2-cour and some even longer. These days, most anime are 1-cour and a sizeable portion are nothing but adaptations made as marketing for LNs, and these adaptations only cover a few volumes and that's all you get to see. For me, this is really jarring.

The 80s and 90s were also a time in which people wanted to see adventure. People wandering to strange places, witnessing exotic stuff, meeting all sorts of people. There was a sense of discovery. Whilst you could have some slice of life, even that could be affected by the former.

Post 00's anime are more about normalcy, as in "the magic in everyday life". The pacing in anime is also a lot faster, given that most shows are 1-cour, so you never get to establish that familiarity you could with characters from 2-cour+ series.

I would also say there is plenty of nostalgia involved, since plenty of Millennials were either children or teens during the 90s, so that era is seen through rose-tinted goggles.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.