[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why can't foreign characters in anime have normal names?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 215
Thread images: 27
File: enough.jpg (44 KB, 848x480) Image search: [Google]
enough.jpg
44 KB, 848x480
Why can't foreign characters in anime have normal names? Why is it always stuff like
>Theodor von Richtenhoff
>Cadence Macbeth
>Putin Tsarovitch

Why can't we just have Tom, Sarah, Tobias Bauer?

We wouldn't name Japanese characters in our shows "Ronin Pikachu" or some dumb shit.
>>
>We wouldn't name Japanese characters in our shows "Ronin Pikachu" or some dumb shit.
We would.

Most of the Japanese characters in shows with absurd foreign names have pretty ridiculous ass Japanese names too.
>>
>>141947651
>posts no examples
>>
>>141947545

They look for names with specific meanings that sound cool.

Remember, Japanese names are a lot like Native Americans'. "Hana" literally means flower. "Ryuu" literally means dragon. The interculture crossovers that happened in Europe produced so many names we don't know the meaning of off the top of our heads that it'd just sound silly to do that.

It's why so many Japanese characters have pants-on-head retarded names too. Or just ones that no one uses (-ko is pretty much never used in girls' names nowadays; -mi is where it's at.)
>>
>>141947651
>>141947651
>Most of the Japanese characters in shows with absurd foreign names have pretty ridiculous ass Japanese names too.
Such as? Anything will do, you can cite the most ridiculous over the top satirical program that is obviously just using silly japanese names for comical effect.
>>
File: Gogo Yubari.jpg (37 KB, 500x579) Image search: [Google]
Gogo Yubari.jpg
37 KB, 500x579
>>
>>141947911
A lot of western languages have that too. In German for example, a lot of old celtic/ germanic shit, not to forget all the latin. Yet we don't go around naming every main character Sigismund, Victor or Augustus
>>
>Qwenthur Barbotage
>>
>>141947911
That's all cool and all, yet that isn't news to anyone here, nor does it explain shit.

Most Germanic/Anglo names have meanings and the ones that don't are derived from names with meanings. There are exactly 0 reasons to choose archaic whacky names if all you want as director/author is a " western name with meaning"
>>
>>141947545
Who's John Smith?
>>
>>141948128
>not naming your european character Romulus Augustus
>>
>>141948018
>>141948128

Except the word origins of the literally-named names aren't used in their original contexts anymore.

Which is a shame, since I think Felicity and Ruth would work well in our modern vernacular.

>Yet we don't go around naming every main character Sigismund, Victor or Augustus
>There are exactly 0 reasons to choose archaic whacky names if all you want as director/author is a " western name with meaning"

We westerners can also tell the tone those names evoke, but do you really think a nip is gonna hear "Octavius" and "Michael" and think the former is too old-timey while the latter is fine?
>>
File: 3-joe-jitsu-dick-tracy.jpg (50 KB, 640x473) Image search: [Google]
3-joe-jitsu-dick-tracy.jpg
50 KB, 640x473
>>141947955
I would say pic related, but that's just cheating.
>>
>>141948285
>so solly
errytime
>>
>>141947545
What are you walking about anon, Alicia Sloppyjoes, Stephanie Gorgeouspalace and Flag Eggnog are perfectly normal names
>>
>>141947545
Fucking Captain Tsubasa, I swear to god.

>>141947911
>-ko is pretty much never used in girls' names nowadays; -mi is where it's at

But I like -ko.
>>
>>141947815

>Easymode

-L Lawliet
-Backyard Bottomslash
>>
>>141947955
Mako Mankanshoku is literally like "dressed up Mako"

Upper class and noble names using fancy kanji with meanings like god, ruler, light, dark, etc. or other cheesy descriptive names are massively over represented in typical anime content.
>>
>>141948388

>But I like -ko.

Too bad, Dubsy. You gotta use -mi instead now.
>>
>>141948257
>>We westerners can also tell the tone those names evoke, but do you really think a nip is gonna hear "Octavius" and "Michael" and think the former is too old-timey while the latter is fine?
The "problem" is more that it is nearly always the "old timey" names they go for. If they flipped a coin over it fine, but they don't, they nearly always go for the whacky option.

In cases like Rias Gremory it works fine, a whacky name, but it has a meaning related to who/what she/her family is, i.e. it isn't exoctic for the sake of being exotic.

It is when there is no meaning to the name that it gets silly, like Irisdina Bernhard from Shwarzesmarken.
>>
>>141948427
Those aren't names given to japanese characters by westerners in western shows. You are posting more examples of what the OP is complaining about.
>>
File: uguu.jpg (208 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
uguu.jpg
208 KB, 1680x1050
>>141948607
>thinking Irisdina Bernhard is a silly name
It isn't even like 1/4 of a Lunateresia von Witzleben
>>
>>141948731
>von Witzleben
Literally who's. If you make a german aristocrat, why not take a prestigious line, like Baden or Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha - can't get more ridiculous than that.
>>
>>141948445
Ok, we are misunderstanding each other, I meant that you name examples of western shows that contain japanese characters with weird names. Some shit like Inazumano Tenshi or some over the top dumb "jap name" appearing in a western show.

So far we have two examples, we have Quentin's Gogo Yubari and the comical Joe Jitsu.
>>
Why would you put a foreign character in your story if you aren't going to give them an awesome name?
>>
File: max.jpg (43 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
max.jpg
43 KB, 620x350
>>141947545
>Implying Max Fightmaster is a shit name
>>
>>141948832
Oh well, look at Ninja Turtles

>Oroku Saki
>Hamato Yoshi
>Karai
>>
>>141947545
>Theodor
>not a normal name
>>
>>141947545
Is this the Kamachi thread?

>Beverly Seethrough
>Stephanie Gorgeouspalace
>Alicia Sloppyjoes
>Olay Blueshake
>Flag Eggnog
>Prizewell City Slicker
>Sladder Honeysuckle
>Putana Highball
>Seawax
>Meena Stinger
>Skuld Silent-Third
>>
>>141948909

This basically. Why name a character something boring like "Mike Smith" when you could name them "Maximilien François Marie Isidore de Robespierre"
>>
>>141948909
This

I'm an author, and I realize Miri von Friedhof is a pretty silly name in German. I don't care. She's a bloody necromancer, she gets the graveyard name.

Besides, I'm less bothered by the names than I am by the FBI going to japan to stop a murderer. What happened at the CIA building?
>>
>>141948909
Wilhelm Jäger is an awesome name, it sounds more German than 90% of the usual German anime names and it is a name you could actually find in Germany.

>>141948977
Theo is, the full Theodor has fallen out of favor.
>>
>Quattro Bajeena
>>
File: Shion_Movie04_01.jpg (112 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Shion_Movie04_01.jpg
112 KB, 1280x720
Félicitation du Drakon

And she's supposed to be French. Also, her nickname "Shion" is actually really inappropriate if anyone had considered the French language - although I guess one could argue that it's only Japanese speaking people that use it anyway.

>but they don't, they nearly always go for the whacky option.
I think the issue is that due to a lack of familiarity, most writers seem to go after names for their sound or meaning, rather than delving much in its usage or feasibleness. That will generally result in goofy names that would never be used otherwise, since finding meanings of standard proper names usually would take a lot more work - you'd need to go after their etymological origin a lot of the time, rather than just relying on the names themselves.

For example, the girl I mentioned above easily could have been named "Felicia", keeping the meaning but using an actual name.

I guess there might be some cultural clash too though, with the Japanese language apparently being more open to exotic names.
>>
>>141949074
Look no further than BACCANO
>Jacuzzi Splott
>Graham Specter
>Luck Gandor
The heck with those names?

Also, not a person but
>Flying Pussyfoot
Whi the heck names a train like that?
>>
>>141949164
>a name you could actually find in Germany.
Maybe in my Grandfathers generation. Any child born in the last 30 years with that name would probably have been bullied into suicide
>>
>>141947545
The Character names in Baccano were so fucking dumb holy shit

>Jacuzzi Splot
>Maiza Avaro
>Ladd Russo
>Czeslaw Meyer
>>
>>141949218
>Luck Gandor
That one was fairly normal unlike Dallas Genoard
>>
>Soun Soulszzcuaritter
>>
>>141949218
>>141949251
>Forgetting Tick and Tack Jefferson
>>
>>141948607

At that point I can only assume that it just goes back to "picking what sounds coolest".

It's like those OCs you made when you were thirteen whose were random syllables thrown together to sound vaguely japanese. Except with the languages reversed.
>>
>Maria Cadenzavna Eve
>>
>>141949223
Germans don't call their kids Wilhelm anymore?
>>
>>141948909
If you are trying to tell a serious story, the characters should have proper names, not just ones that sound cool.

>>141949141
It sounds downright retarded to be honest.
"Von" basically means from.
Her name is Miri from Graveyard.

Just make up a cool sounding name that sounds like it's a place.

>>141949164
>Wilhelm Jäger
>a name you could actually find in Germany
>>
>not naming your MC Max Power
>>
>>141949344
>implying I didn't use Google Translate to name my character Dark Tombstone of the Apocalypse
>>
File: tfw no Preußen.jpg (36 KB, 333x450) Image search: [Google]
tfw no Preußen.jpg
36 KB, 333x450
>>141949369
Rarely. Sadly, because it is indeed a nice name
>>
>>141947545
Japanese characters in anime don't have normal names too.

>Araragi
>Senjougahara
>Oshino
>Dekomori
>Makunouchi
>Suzumiya
>Saten
>Uiharu
>>
>>141949371
>If you are trying to tell a serious story, the characters should have proper names, not just ones that sound cool.
I disagree.
>>
>>141947545

How can you not love the name DAN EAGLEMAN?
>>
>>141949410
Thanks a lot for ruining that name forever due to your incompetence.
>>
>>141947545
>normal names like Tobias
>>
>>141949438
Narita also wants a say in that regard.
>Ryuugamine Mikado
>>
>yfw I just realized Ash "Ketchum" means "catch em"
>>
>>141947545
The normal names tend to conjure up images of overweight Americans, no thanks.
>>
File: 1432226915412.png (237 KB, 592x407) Image search: [Google]
1432226915412.png
237 KB, 592x407
>>141949453
Are you stupid? It's not like Adolf, it's just out of style. Maybe it will get fashionably again, who knows.
>>
>>141949438
>>141949519
>Izaya
>>
>>141949440
Yeah but why?

>>141949512
>implying

>>141949521
Coincidence.
That's just the Japanese word for Ketchup.
>>
>>141949512
>Not being an animorph

Pleb. I bet you don't even have a hot black naturalist girlfriend who brushes your feathers. You jelly?
>>
>>141949569
>Yeah but why?
Why do I disagree? Because their names being cool doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the story, obviously. I mean, if they had completely made up fantasy names I'd be fine with it, so I don't see why silly English ones should mess me up just because they aren't in a fantasy world.
>>
>>141949438
Ya, put that isn't what OP was talking about. OP specifically talks about western names.

Also, the weird Japanese names you listed are either not THAT weird or intentionally so for comedic effect/puns.
>>
>>141949512
Tobias is pretty normal, they just go by Toby. Or they're devout Christians.
>>
>>141948832
As loathe as I am to link to tvtropes, it is a useful resource for this kind of thing: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AsLongAsItSoundsForeign

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FamousNamedForeigner

Skimming over the Japanese examples, it seems like the usual mistake in English-language media is to give Japanese characters nonsensical names ("Sulu" from Star Trek isn't a Japanese name, for example), rather than something over-the-top.
>>
>>141949665
Not him, but are you telling me that you don't think Kamachi or Narita's Western names are supposed to be silly?
>>
>>141949636
The black naturalist was Jake's love interest, not Tobias'. He had a thing with Rachel, the psycho blond chick
>>
>>141947545
But the series you posted a pic of has a guy who's name is literally Edward and a girl named Sherry
>>
>>141949569

>Yeah but why?

Not that Anon, but unless the name is something obscene, it's doesn't really make a difference.

What matters is the writing, which should at LEAST be good enough to make me forget how silly the name is.
>>
>>141949251
>>141949339
>Elmer C. Albatross
>>
>>141947545
Because they can't pronounce Grzegorz
>>
>>141947545
Cadence McBeth sounds pretty normal
>>
>>141949438
why are these names not normal?
>>
>>141947545
Getting a naming sense for a language that's not your own is really hard. So much of it depends on cultural context and phonetics. And like >>141949223 points out, it can change quickly over time.

Plus, Japanes is a language where there's an inherent meaning to the characters that make up a person's name, and writers love to make use of that. English doesn't have that exactly, so it's probably harder for Japanese writers to get a handle on what exactly makes a name "sound right".
>>
>>141949512
pretty normal here in Germany
>>
>>141949960
You'd basically never find an actual Japanese person with those names, for a variety of reasons. Senjougahara is the name of a battlefield, for example, not a surname that you'd actually see on a real person..
>>
>That feel when can't think up a single german name that isn't hans
It's laways hans ans ms. hans to me
>>
>>141947545
Characters have weird names in fiction. It has nothing to do with being japanese or western.

Actually, there are a lot of people irl with weird names, so I don't what is the problem.
>>
>>141949640
It doesn't ruin the enjoyment of a show but there is certainly something wrong when a supposedly normal German person in the modern world is called "Friedrich von Königsberg" or something like that.
It doesn't really bother me but I can't take take it as serious afterwards. It just seems like it's trying so hard to be cool, while it's really silly for anyone who knows the language/culture.

>>141949794
The name is silly regardless of the writing.
It's not really a big issue though.

Native English speakers always get mad over Engrish in anime, isn't that kind of the same? Japanese will tell you they don't care because it sounds cool.
>>
File: Patricia.jpg (19 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
Patricia.jpg
19 KB, 500x281
>>141947545
You mean like Patricia Martin?
>>
>>141949223
>>141949369
My name is Wilhelm Verburg (Dutch father) I am 23 and I have never been bullied in my life. I also like my name, a lot.
>>
>>141950178
I want to hear you scream.
>>
>>141949438
Often other characters will point out that the name is weird though.
>>
>>141949749
Dammit, you're right. It's been a while since I read that series.

I need to redread it. I remember the aliens being really well thought out for a childrens book.
>>
>>141950153
>Native English speakers always get mad over Engrish in anime, isn't that kind of the same?
I only dislike Engrish when it's really bad - not just bad pronunciation, but shit like the "yer kidding" where its delivery/tone is completely different from the Japanese and doesn't fit the scene.
>>
>>141950098
underrated post.
>>
File: Get_a_load_of_this_untermensh.gif (949 KB, 155x173) Image search: [Google]
Get_a_load_of_this_untermensh.gif
949 KB, 155x173
Would you prefer something modern and progressive such as Jamal Brown or Faith McLain?
>>
>>141949332
this, holy shit.
>>
>>141950153

>Native English speakers always get mad over Engrish in anime

Only if said anime straight-up says LOL THIS IS PERFECT ENGLISH LOOK AT HOW AWESOME WE ARE or something to that extent.

Otherwise it's just hilarious ("Why me sad?" comes to mind).
>>
>>141950418
What cracks me up about the name jamal, is that we now use it to indicate that we are talking about the most monkey of monkey people, but it doesn't change the fact that some poor schmuck (or several rather) goes through life with that name.
>>
>Jugemu Jugemu Unko Nageki Ototoi no Shin-chan no Pantsu Shinpachi no Jinsei Balmunk Fezarion Isaac Schneider San Bun no Ichi no Junjou na Kanjou no Nokotta San Bun no Ni wa Sakamuke ga Kininaru Kanjou Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitteiru you de Shiranai no wo Boku wa Shitteiru Rusu Surume Medaka Kazunoko Koedame Medaka... Kono Medaka wa Sakki to Chigau Yatsu Dakara Ikeno Medaka no Hou Dakara Raa-yuu Yuuteimiyaouki Mukou Pepepepepepepepepepepepe Oato ga Yoroshii you de Kore Nite Oshimai Bichiguso Maru
>>
What's worse.
Weird foreign names or names that Tomino made up?
>>
>>141950472
the only time I've heard engrish that was actually them speaking English that wasn't random lines was like squid girl, and I gotta admit they spoke it well enough
>>
anyone have weird fucking names irl?
>tfw jewish first name chinese last name as a catholic in SEA
>>
>>141948018
Celtic names are great, they sound great have meaning too.
The nips should use them more.

Example: Aislinn Wishart.
Aisling means "dream" or "vision"
>>
>>141947651
>Kenji Bushido

You mean it's not a widely used name in Japan?
>>
>>141950556
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8_NzBdtQjI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqFEnqx9MyM
>>
>>141947545
Because you're fucking retarded and comparing boring ass American names to European/Russian names.

Vladimir Putin is literally the name of the president of Russia.

His daughter's name is Yekaterina. You're basically asking for everyone to be named John fucking Smith.
>>
>>141950568

Free did pretty when they were in Straya (though they hired gaijin for that part so it's cheating).
>>
I love those goofy ass western names in Jap shit.

>Jacuzzi Splot
>>
File: latest[1].png (491 KB, 466x601) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
491 KB, 466x601
>>141947545
Jojo is pretty good with Western names when the characters aren't being named after bands.
>Jonathan Joestar
>Joseph Joestar
>William Anthonio Zeppeli
>Robert E. O. Speedwagon
>Mark
>Elizabeth Joestar
>Johnny Joestar
>Diego Brando
>>
>>141950742
Yes, you are completely right, Vladimir Putin is comparable to something like Stephanie Gorgeouspalace.

You also realize the irony of using the example "john smith" when Vladamir is very common Russian name comparable to John, Thomas etc. in anglo countries.

TL;DR you are an idiot.
>>
>>141950840
Well, first names are all right at least. Last names are still kinda fucked
>>
>>141950742
>American names
No such thing, unless you are talking about jerome, jamal, pearl, crystal and lawanda.
>>
>>141950840
>Joseph Joestar
Still best sounding name of all time
Also Dio sounds and looks normal as fuck to me
>>
>>141947545
Wasabi-no-ginger is pretty out there.
>>
Holy shit, the trick to being an MC is to have a weird ass name.
Works in real life too
>Barack Obama
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (7 KB, 215x235) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
7 KB, 215x235
>>141950978
>>
>>141949218
Flying adjective
making flight or passing through the air; that flies :
a flying insect; an unidentified flying object.
floating, fluttering, waving, hanging, or moving freely in the air:
flying banners; flying hair.
extending through the air.
moving swiftly.
made while moving swiftly:
a flying leap.
very hasty or brief; fleeting or transitory:
a flying visit; a flying remark.
designed or organized for swift movement or action.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/flying

pussyfoot (v.) also pussy-foot, 1903, "tread softly," from pussy (n.1) + foot (n.). As a noun from 1911, "a detective," American English, from the nickname of U.S. government Indian Affairs agent W.E. Johnson (1862-1945), in charge of suppressing liquor traffic on Indian reservations in Oklahoma, who was noted for his stealthy tactics. Related: Pussyfooting; pussy-footed (1893).
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=pussyfoot&allowed_in_frame=0
>>
>Hans Humpty
>>
File: 22941_400x400[1].jpg (22 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
22941_400x400[1].jpg
22 KB, 400x400
>>141950934
>lawanda
get yo white ass over 'ere
>>
File: image.jpg (115 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115 KB, 1136x640
>>
>>141950472
It is funny because a lot of westerns can't speak japanese properly either. Mostly because of accent.

Also, japanese that needs to speak english as part of their job usually can talk in english fluently, you can only know that the person is not a native speaker because of their overly formal choice of vocabulary.
>>
>>141951322
>you can only know that the person is not a native speaker because of their overly formal choice of vocabulary.
Actually it is their 1,60cm@49kg stature, jetblack thin straight hair and the different fold of the eye.
>>
>>141950840
>Joestar
>Speedwagon
>normal
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>141950840
Even their japanese names are common, like Jotaro and Josuke.

But in Steel Ball Run, the names starts getting fucked up.
>>
>>141950840
>Speedwagon
>Not named after a band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJzNZ1c5C9c

You need to brush up on your dadrock.
>>
>>141951388
Yeah, admittedly the last names are still retarded. Probably should have left them out

>>141951427
Yeah, that list wasn't supposed to exclude band names. I just fucked up my post.
>>
File: Star-Trek-Hikaru-Sulu.jpg (81 KB, 1200x909) Image search: [Google]
Star-Trek-Hikaru-Sulu.jpg
81 KB, 1200x909
>>141947545
Like Hikaru Sulu maybe?
>>
>>141951387
It was a phonecall.
>>
>>141951427
Now that I have heard this song while browsing /a/ I will forever associate it with waifusim and love for 2D(imaginary) girls.

I don't know whether to thank you or not.
>>
Suzuki Toyota
>>
>>141951501
Jokes on you, I don't have a phone.
>>
>>141951506
Seppuku Nakadashi
>>
File: WLGu6TM.png (71 KB, 241x963) Image search: [Google]
WLGu6TM.png
71 KB, 241x963
>100+ posts
>Nothing about Gaijin-kun

Step it up, senpais.
>>
>>141951630
Bukkake Netorare
>>
>>141948128
That's not what he meant. Western names are not words in the vernacular like Japanese names are.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vernacular

How many people have you met named
"beautiful bud"
"lovely breeze"
"sweet scent"
or "thousand waves"

I have literally met girls with each of those names in Japanese and the words for their names mean exactly that in modern Japanese.
>>
ALSO, why cant they even pronounce a simple euroname right?
>thor
>thoru
>edwin
>erewinu-san
>>
File: image.jpg (334 KB, 1600x1125) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
334 KB, 1600x1125
>>141951746
give it time.
>>
>>141951769
>tfw japs are literally retarded when it comes to languages
>>
>>141951676
Take your shitty forced memes and shove them up your ass.
>>
>>141951769
its not like when fuckin suzuki kazuya comes in i go like " oh whatsup sussuki kassujá"
its like they dont even try
>>
>>141951769
Same reason english speakers can't pronounce JP for shit.
>>
>>141951947
There's a difference between pronunciation and adding extra syllables.
>>
>>141951947
see
>>141951926
>>
>>141951988
English is a pain in the ass to pronounce. Japanese people have no problem pronouncing Italian, Spanish, Portuguese etc, except for the Ls.
>>
>>141951988
It's the way their language works.
You try pronouncing a name from a language where they use whistles or some shit.
>>
>>141949512
I know a nigger named Tobias
>>
>>141952190
all of those languages have a shitton of L's in them dude
>>
>>141951988
Do you even know how their language works? They speak in syllables. Telling someone who only speaks nip to pronounce most consonant pairs without putting a vowel in between is like asking a random American to pronounce Nǁnǂe.
(ǁ and ǂ are different kinds of click)
>>
>>141951769
Because their alphabet has no isolated consonants aside from the "n" sound. Everything else has a vowel behind it.
>>
>>141952214
>japan
>all about honor, kindness and shit
>wont even try to pronounce ur name
>errything japanese
i find it rude
>>
>>141952276
I know that, but using Edwin as an example, are you telling me that even if you were taught your whole life that you pronounce that name "Edwinu" you couldn't just stop yourself saying that last syllable?

It's not at all like adding whistles and clicks into a name because that is something that is never used in the English language, however the Japanese can pronounce the "win" part of Edwin, they just add an extra syllable after.
>>
>>141951746
You don't seem to understand what either of them meant and just decided to be let out some inner sperg. Since you are being an autist I won't feel bad returning the favour. Here, let me spell it out for you.

OP starts thread complaining about pants on head silly names given to western characters in anime.

Anon1 replies to OP that japs do this because names have meanings in japanese so they like to find similar names for their western characters.

Anon2 replies to Anon1 that if this is the line of logic, "names need meaning", there is no reason to choose archaic western names over contemporary ones, as they both carry meaning.

Your spergrant about it being vernacular or not is completely irrelevant.

Furthermore
>western names are not words in the vernacular
Why bother trying to come across like a smartass when you are going to say something stupid like this.

Bauer
Becker
Schmitt
Zimmerman
Weiß
Krüger
Fletcher
Taylor
Smith
Cooper
and the list goes on and on and on

Basically you are an idiot
>>
>>141952276
>>141952324
>syllables
>clicknoises
fuckin tell a parrot with a language made out of highpitches and screaming and they will get it right. japs are just too full of themselves
>>
>>141950861
>Putin was literally the name the OP called out for being weird

Congratulations for being somehow more retarded than the op. I'm sorry for your family.
>>
>>141951926
Well, aren't you a special snowflake.
Good for you, but most people can't pronounce for shit.
See :
Any english dub.
>>
>>141952503
Motherfucker, I would like to see you pronounce an indian or mideast name properly.
Why you think they use mundane english names during phone support? The average murikan can't into foreign names.
>>
>>141951947
Actually that is bullshit. Anglo's have a far easier time adapting to moonspeak than vice versa. There are no sounds in moon that are completely alien to anglos. Maybe -kyo, -ryo etc. which tend to get pronouced as -kiyo and -riyo etc. by anglos. Other way round though, there are plenty of sounds/constructions in anglo that are completely alien to Japs, for starters any word that string together multiple consecutive consonants, shit like "catchphrase" which just turns into the mess of "katzufuraizu".

That isn't to say anglo's can easily speak moon without an accent, but there is no real case of "reverse engrish".
>>
>>141949074
>Putana Highball
funny things, in Italian puttana means bitch
>>
>>141952682
well arent u a fuckin retard.
most people make the effort to try, not fuck up their whole name in their jap accent.
>alfred
>alluafredduh
japversion
>suzuki
>still suzuki cuz im not deliberately trying to make their name as norwegian as possible
>>
>>141952740
No, it's because they're rusing as Americans to try and trick you out of your money.
>>
File: HO_v09_003-005.jpg (325 KB, 845x1600) Image search: [Google]
HO_v09_003-005.jpg
325 KB, 845x1600
>>141952771
Good thing she's indian
>>
>>141952764
You can adapt to -kyo, -ryo, ect. if you aren't a hick.
>>
>>141952740
hit me with a name then faggot cuz i can. also u missed the entire point of our discussion, also where the fuck u get murican from? dumb bitch lel
>>
>>141949141
>I named my necromancer 'Miri from graveyard'. Something tells me you're not a very good author.
>>
>>141952636
But it says "putin tsarovitch" in the OP anon-kun, are you deliberately and conveniently leaving out the "tsarovitch" to support your argument?
As an east German I can promise you that "putin tsarovitch" would in fact be a beyond retarded Russian name.
>>
>>1419530045
nono hes a great author man. every good author hides their retardedness behind stupid shit to make them appear smart
>>
>>141952870
Hence "maybe".
>>
>>141952806
Most Americans would pronounce that as "sue-zoo-key," which would be wrong.
>>
>>141951322
>Also, japanese that needs to speak english
I take it you're not referring to yourself.
>>
>>141947545
>John Smith
>Irina Jelavich
>Raye Penber
>Edward Elric
>Lara Gonzalez
>Rebecca Lee
>Rebecca Hopkins
>Rebecca Miyamoto
>Lee Sampson
>Claire Stanfield

Yes, only weird, weird names.
>>
>>141952806
It's less to do with their accent than the way they think, and their attempts to transcribe English into kana.

They do try, God bless them. They just aren't very good at it, at least if they've been in Japan their whole life and never lived or worked abroad.

By the way, most English speakers will mess up "Suzuki" by putting the stress on the wrong syllable. Try asking any biker fag.
>>
File: 1451610294471.gif (2 MB, 359x278) Image search: [Google]
1451610294471.gif
2 MB, 359x278
Hirschsprung's disease
de-zi-i-zo-u no hi-ru-su-pu-ro-n-gu

Someone needs to go pay a jap to pronouce these unusual words and upload it.
>>
>>141953332
Don't forget overextending the vowel sounds.
>>
>>141953124
good thing im not american then
>>
>>141953332
You're being far too apologetic.
>>
>>141953332
>"Suzuki"
Yeah people tend to go "Szookey"
>>
>>141953332
fucking i can feel the sparkle in ur eyes when ur writing about japs all the way here to norway
>>
File: Stephanie.jpg (50 KB, 270x500) Image search: [Google]
Stephanie.jpg
50 KB, 270x500
>>141947545

Well speaking of index specifically, after the anime ends a mercenary named Stephanie Gorgeouspalace shows up. Ask the author what he was thinking.
>>
>>141953531
>people tend to drop the vowel
In what country do you live?
>>
>>141953555
Best thing about that name is that there is no way for a Jap to not completely butcher it.

Sutefuni Gorujusupuarusu
>>
>>141953038
I can't help it if the op can't spell tsarevich.
>>
>>141953555
>LMG with shotgun pellets

what
>>
>>141953568
South Asia
>>
>>141953468
The real problem is that @98% or so ethnic Japanese most Japs are being taught English by other Japs. When this happens oral English goes flying out of the window and the only thing they learn is how to decipher the meaning of an English text and maybe how to write it. If they are lucky they get an anglo ALT and if they are superduper lucky they get a fully qualified anglo teacher, but one is rare and the other basically non-existant. If they do happen to be taught with the help of an actual anglo you notice it a lot in their pronunciation. Without one though, it is just a viscious circle of bad Engrish. The only spoken English they hear is the occasional phrase on their TV spoken in thick Engrish.
>>
>>141953679
>tsarevich
Which would still be a really fucking retarded name to give a Russian Character unless he is the Tsar's son, in which case the "Putin" given name becomes really fucking retarded.

Either way it is a retarded name anon-kun, which is what you were initially disputing. In other words, you were wrong and are now grasping at straws.
>>
>>141953555
A step below Sonia Nevermind.
>>
>>141953924
It is like the surnames were chosen to make up for the mundane nature of the first names.
>>
>>141953924

Heavy Object's LN has a character named Alicia Sloppyjoes.
>>
>>141954136
The EX stories had an elite named Skuld Silent-Third.
>>
>>141948830
>Wolfram von Bielefeld
>>
Mako Mori
>>
>>141953332
Maybe, but I'm not going to get caught up on how non-native speakers speak/write English.
It's cute as hell on girls, too, so I'm not complaining.

As a Brit, coming from a country with equally abysmal foreign language education, I'll let it pass.
>>
>Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
>Japanese woman named "Tang Shen"

>Mortal Kombat
>Character's name is literally "Shujinko"
>>
>>141954474
>Carl Eduard von Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha
>Claus Philipp Maria Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg
You can't top German aristocrats when it comes to ridiculous names
>>
>>141954567
Meant to quote >>141953468
>>
>>141949218
>>141949251
>>141949282
"Graham Specter" and "Czeslaw Meyer" could be real names, but they'd both be an odd mix of origins. The former could be like a third or fourth generation Dutch immigrant in the US, while the latter might be a Polish (half?)Jew.

Dallas is a real first name, and Luck could believably be one too. Given the timeframe, so could Jacuzzi; it's a real LAST name, the company would be maybe five or six years old by the time the character was born. It'd probably be considered really odd by the 1930s, though.

Maiza and Ladd are pretty bad, though.
>>
There are an okay amount of famous people with pretty badass sounding names too. Jaromir Jagr and Dolph Lundgren come to mind. But nips choose to invent their own retarded ones anyway.
>>
>>141951506
Edmond Honda
>>
>>141954618
Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger comes pretty close, but she needs a few more first names.
And don't forget people with names like Schweinebraten or Tittmann.
>>
>>141954711
>>141954618
>Karl-Theodor Maria Nikolaus Johann Jacob Philipp Franz Joseph Sylvester Freiherr von und zu Guttenberg
This never stops being funny
>>
File: FGOCasterParacelStage4.png (445 KB, 512x724) Image search: [Google]
FGOCasterParacelStage4.png
445 KB, 512x724
>>141954618
>>141954711
>>141954888
Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim is still my favorite.
>>
File: 1459274774029.jpg (73 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1459274774029.jpg
73 KB, 500x333
>>141954980
>Theophrastus Bombastus
>>
File: moomin kanker.jpg (47 KB, 354x500) Image search: [Google]
moomin kanker.jpg
47 KB, 354x500
>>141954888
>Karl-Theodor Maria Nikolaus Johann Jacob Philipp Franz Joseph Sylvester Freiherr von und zu Guttenberg
That name and title still didn't protect his political career or uni papers. Career and academic name shrekt, but I am sure he gives 0 fucks with all the contacts the guy has.
>>
>>141954888
>>141954980
And now imagine those guys spending a year in Japan and they have to write their full names in katakana in all those visa documents.
>マリア・ニコラウス・ヨハン・ヤーコブ・フィリップ・フランツ・ヨーゼフ・ジルヴェスター・カール=テオドール・フライヘア・フォン・ウント・ツー・グッテンベルク
>>
>>141955499
forgot カール=テオドール・ at the beginning
>>
File: char.jpg (33 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
char.jpg
33 KB, 640x480
>>141948830
>Baden
>prestigious line
>>
>Pippilotta Viktualia Rullgardina Krusmynta Efraimsdotter Långstrump
>>
>90% percent of german anime character are nobles
>>
File: 162.jpg (61 KB, 680x671) Image search: [Google]
162.jpg
61 KB, 680x671
>>141956383
>implying that's not a realistic representation of Germany
>>
File: 1450400670940.png (187 KB, 330x440) Image search: [Google]
1450400670940.png
187 KB, 330x440
>>141956448
not really
>>
>>141947545
>Why can't foreign characters in anime have
>normal names?

What exactly is a normal name?

I have a very "traditional" name, but from every google search I make, I'm the only one in the world to have it. And it's probably more of a mouthful than any of the ones you linked.

I remember in highschool, a lot of the kids had some crazy compound names. Stuff like

`Marie Sophie Larivière Tremblay"
"Jean Simon Tousain Lafrenière"

My grandma also has a pretty unique surname. Crescence.
>>
>>141947651
>Most of the Japanese characters in shows with absurd foreign names have pretty ridiculous ass Japanese names too.

I'm ultra triggered by shows that just name girls by the colors of their hair.
>>
>>141957241
>My grandma
Old people don't really count.
Names like Archibald and Solomon aren't normal and haven't been for a long time.
>>
>>141957241
Does it really require a genius to figure out that something like "gorgeouspalace" or "octavius" aren't normal western names?
>>
>>141957354
>normal western names?

Well pretty soon the most normal western name is going to be some variation of Muhammad or whatever.

>>141957327
>Old people don't really count.

She's not that old. Turned 99 today. Happy birthday, grandma.
>>
>>141957354
>Does it really require a genius to figure out that something like "gorgeouspalace"

"Happy Castle" and "Shining Castle" are fairly common family names here.
>>
>>141957312
You should watch Gyaruko-chan. Their names is literally their stereotypes.
>>
>>141957480
Yes, but not in English.
>>
>>141957327
>Old people don't really count
I actually knew a guy in school named Solomon, I also knew some people with very different names, like Mirabelle and Badr.
>>
>>141958221
>Solomon
I live in Germany, that name sorta died out here.
>>
>>141958221
I live in Romania and knew someone called Justinian(prolly religious family).

Also, over here it seems that strong male names got out of vogue. Got a lot more meme Roman names that got imported from Transylvania and other shit like that. No Vasile, Jon, Gjorgje etc(transliterated here with soft i being 'j').
>>
>>141958221
I live in Brazil, and "Salomão" is not that weird here. Although the youngest person with that name that I know is in his 50's.
>>
>>141959243
That one's reserved for Eastern ex-USSR republic terrorists nowadays.
>>
Because Theodor von Richtenhoff sounds cooler than Tom Brown or Mike Bush some shit.

The better question is why do you care?
>>
>>141959939
It's old people name like Gertrudes
Thread replies: 215
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.