[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's talk money
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: 1-151019191352c4.jpg (113 KB, 420x600) Image search: [Google]
1-151019191352c4.jpg
113 KB, 420x600
What is the most financially succesful anime series of all time?
>>
Dbz
>>
NGE
>>
>>141922835
This or Gundam
>>
>>141922769
Gundam or NGE probably, though in the last 15 years it's clearly 'monogatari
>>
>>141923658
Did Monogatari ever chart in those yearly highest grossing anime of the year charts?
>>
I'd say whatever series has the most pachinko shit would be the indicator, right? I know NGE has a ton, anyone got insight on a comparison with what other series have?

Which actually makes me think, are there Monogatari pachinkos? Not something I really keep track of, but I can't stop thinking about it.
>>
>>141923710
Does it have to? I think its just steadily holds itself close to the top every year. After all, Japs love this series more than anything in many years. Even Idolmaster, which also gained shitload of money pales in comparision to monogatari.
>>
>>141922769

Nichijou
>>
>>141922769
Was it "Reddit: the anime"?
>>
>>141923806
Well yeah it has to if we're talking about most financially successful anime. I always see shit like Gundam, Macross, Love Live, Idolmaster, DBZ, Naruto, One Piece, Pokemon, Yokai Watch, etc chart. And I don't know what kind of logic you're even using by saying Idolmaster pales in comparison to Monogatari since it charts while bake doesn't at least as far as I'm aware, I'm looking for charts of earlier years when bake was at its prime.
>>
>>141923886
I'm pretty sure he isn't just talking about Bake, he's talking about mongatari as a whole, all seven seasons and the movie or however many seasons it has now.
>>
>>141923886
I was talking more about the amount of money each series earned overall. Im completely aware that series like NGE naruto and such earned a lot more than monogatari, but in recent years said series (NGE, Gundam blah blah blah) hardly generates any income whatsoever.
Also, this >>141923975
>>
>>141923975

And it would lose to Gundam, its hard to beat Gundam since its a longer running series ... Monogatari simply haven been around that long or had the following of Gundam on its prime and its prime was also the Anime prime since it was during the DVD golden era.
>>
>>141923975
>>141924043

> but in recent years said series (NGE, Gundam blah blah blah) hardly generates any income whatsoever.

No?

Highest grossing anime related media in 2015
1. Love Live
2. One Piece
3. Shingeki no Kyojin
4. Nanatsu no Taizai
5. Kingdom
6. THE IDOLM@STER
7. Gundam
8. Assassination Classrom
9. Haikyuu
10. Tokyo Ghoul
11. Fate Series
12. Youkai Watch
13. Naruto
14. Prison School
15. Gintama
16. KanColle
17. UtaPri
18. Kuroko no Basuke
19. One Punch Man
20. Yowamushi Pedal
21. Kekkai Sensen
22. Sword Art Online
23. Owari no Seraph
24. Shokugeki no Souma
25. Orange
26. Fairy Tail
27. Conan
28. The Fast and the Furious (?)
29. Terraformars
30. Magi
>>
>>141924043

Gundam still sells kits and Bandai still backs that old horse.

You dont want to compare then in relation to merch, Gundam makes a LOT.
>>
>>141924126
Does this include Gunpla sales? I figured it would be higher including that.
>>
>>141922835
I think One Piece has surpassed DBZ as the most succesful anime/manga

>>141922870
I think Eva is the most succesful in the anime original departament

>>141922905
Gundam is the most lucrative franchise in all anime
>>
>>141924126
>sao is higher than Shokugeki or Terraformars
fucking nips
>>
>>141923886
It's been awhile, but I think the Bake BDs broke some kind of record when they first appeared, didn't they? It doesn't really matter in the long run though, all the merchandising whoring is where the real money is. Who knows how much the licensing kickbacks really amount to, but NGE will print money until the end of human civilization.

Has anyone seen info on how Kizu did in theaters or what pre-orders are like?
>>
>>141924192

No because Gundam is also a Anime original.
>>
>>141924126
>14. Prison School
How can something sell so much but still be off the radar in comparison to other series?
>>
>>141924272
Off the radar where? On /a/? It gets loads of threads.
>>
>>141924246
Kizu kind of under performed, didn't break 1 billion in box office gross, is below movies like K-On, AnoHana and Haruhi. Preorders so far look OK but also under performing considering the franchise. Will (maybe) barely break 60k. Aniplex fucked up by not releasing the movie sooner. 6 years of hype is too much for such a fast moving industry.
>>
>>141924248
Yeah, but Gundam was more of a corporate creation to sell toys, so I put them in different "categories"
>>
In terms of nothing but anime video sales, Eva is still king. Monogatari gets the lesser title of being the best selling anime post-2000.

If you count everything in a franchise then the all time most successful is Gundam.
>>
>>141924246
Money for who though? The studio doesn't make money off of manga or novel sales and only sees a small royalty from merch that uses their artwork. The real profits for them are video sales and movie box office take. That's what most studios live off of. It's all well and good if the other investors make bank off of the anime but if the studios aren't making money then they don't have an incentive to keep making it do they?
>>
>>141924335
That's a shame because I thought it was a fucking masterpiece. Sacrificing virgin goats every day in the hopes of Part 2 getting the same pattern of US releases so I can see that too.

I could see why it wouldn't generate a huge buzz though, being as oddly like a French arthouse film as it was. It's not more of the same Monogatari we've been getting since Nise.
>>
>>141922769

Pokemon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_anime_films
>>
>>141924350

Well Gundam is 1979, it wasnt created to do that since Sunrise doesnt do that and Tomino certainly doesnt, considering the first Gundam was actually cancelled you can see how well it did back them.
>>
>>141924335
I think they were holding out on releasing it for when Monogatari's popularity began sinking below optimal profit levels, hoping it would revitalize interest, thus enabling them to milk the series longer. They probably would have made way more money if they had just released it in 2012 like planned.
>>
How is it not Transformers? The movies made several billion dollars, let alone the toys and shows.
>>
File: 1411517671515.png (148 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1411517671515.png
148 KB, 300x300
>>141923824
>>
>>141925251
Because the studios now are predominantly Western.
>>
Why do nips love idolshit so much?
>>
If you count all of Gundam as one entity that, so as a franchise gundam, but the best selling season of anime ever is NGE.
>>
How does Monogatari make so much money from merch? I know theres a ton of books but what else?

Eva must be the highest of all time though, theres been threads full of retarded Eva merch.
>>
>>141925862
>How does Monogatari make so much money from merch?

It clearly doesn't or else it would be here >>141924126 Most of its profit seems to come from disc sales.
>>
>>141922769
Pokemon.
>>
>>141925703
Transformers was a joint venture between American Hasbro and Japanese Bandai, but it's still technically an anime property isn't it?
>>
>>141924172
No, it doesn't. That's only on sales of anime, manga, LNs, and music. It also doesn't count merch, so >>141925937 doesn't really apply.
>>
>>141926158
My mistake, it was Tomy, not Bandai. Still, it's half-Japanese, so it should still count.
>>
>>>>141926158
Transformers is Hasbro and Tomy, not Bandai. Most of the Transformers cartoons are American productions, albeit with a lot of outsourcing to Korea/Japan like all American productions. There was one anime series in the mid-2000s, but the franchise itself is no more anime than TMNT, which also got an anime.
>>
>>141925731
The same reason tards like sonic.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.