[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yen press- Konosuba
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: 1223325851.png (343 KB, 587x367) Image search: [Google]
1223325851.png
343 KB, 587x367
Can't fucking wait
>>
Really? They waste money on this FOTM shit?
>>
>>141770247
We will still get fanfiction , wont we?
>>
>>141770247
How is the manga compared to the LN? Just saw on shitter that they're releasing the manga in November and LN at a later date.
>>
>>141770277
They could have wasted it on [your favorite here].
>>
>>141770288
of course
its fanfic after all
>>
>release one volume every year at best
>drop it a few volumes in once fans inevitably get bored of waiting when there's fanlations
At least we have fanfic this time. A lot of LNs are forgotten entirely once they get licensed and then dropped.

Also, just FYI
>>141753354
>>
as long as the yen press jews dont try to DMCA i'm fine. if they shut shit down like danmachi i'll just finish what i already have and move on elsewhere.
>>
>>141770848
That's already happened.
>>
>>141770848
They obviously will.
And if they translators aren't such faggots like the one from DanMachi was, they won't stop.
>>
>>141770949
>>141770973
good, about time these LN trans grew a set and stick it to kadokawa
>>
http://skythewoodtl.com/yen_press/
fucking hell
>>
>>141771027
>LN trans
There are no LN translations. Let's be 100% clear on this.
>>
>>141771038
This is a joke, isn't it?
>>
>>141771038
And there we go, proven faggots again.
>>
>>141771038
Non-US fags again getting the short end of the stick.
>>
>>141771099
Not really, there are websites like the Book Depository.
>>
>>141770973
lol, people who don't give you free stuff are faggots now eh?
>>141770848
Sorry, but volume 9 will be the last one, just the principle I set on myself. Don't let me hold you back though, your translations are great.
>>
>>141771193
I won't even try to discuss this with you since it will results in nothing.
>>
>>141771193
>free stuff
There's a Donation link on your site.
>>
>>141771314
That's not a purchase translation button, that's a donate if you like the work that have already been done button.
>>
Just learn japanese already

fucking lazy kids I swear
>>
>>141771379
>>>a/djt/
>>
i just love how these LN trans break the law by translating unlicensed stuff, but the minute it get's licensed they wanna pull the moral high ground. spare me this nonsense please, it's textbook hypocrisy

>>141771190
>Book Depository
i'm not even going to touch this one, toostupid4me
>>
I'm just waiting for
ISBN 9781935548539
ISBN 9781935548522
myself.
>>
>>141771416
That's just drawing the line somewhere and what do you mean by moral high ground? High ground relative to who?
>>
>>141770847
actually, Yen press release 3 volumes of Index every year
>>
>>141771416
>moral highground
The reason why theyre even translating is because theyre making an accessible channel for the fans who cant read moonrunes.
Once its out in a native language its pointless for them to continue translating so now you can actually support the people who made it through an official source. And yes I know Yen Press is slow.
>>
>>141771520
4 per year, actually.
>>
>>141770847
>fanfic
I don't get it.
>>
>>141771597
3-4 volumes for each LN a year isn't slow.
>>
File: 987764387.png (44 KB, 205x250) Image search: [Google]
987764387.png
44 KB, 205x250
>>141771675
>>
>>141771685
tell that to the mahouka fags
>>
>>141770247
>another drop by sky
>>
>>141771597
I have more of a problem with their need to grab something the second it's popular despite already having way to many LN as it is also some of their translations are meh probably from giving them to their c team.
>>
>waiting 20~ years to catch up to Mahouka
no thank you yenpress.
>>
>>141771516
For people who have been reading the title through fan translations, they understandably get upset when they are no longer able to read new fan translations for the sole reason that a company will get around to localizing volumes beyond the fan translation years down the road. Especially when such things are much rarer in anime or manga due to a combination of fan translators not caring and the official efforts doing a better job of releasing titles at the same time.

They also do see it as hypocritical that a fan translation group goes out of their way to justify blatant copyright infringement, even ignoring DMCA notices in this case, until a US publisher announces it. It's understandable to draw the line somewhere and I personally don't fault you guys for doing so, but for those unhappy about the situation it's also understandable that they don't see the difference between copyright infringement before it was picked up and after it was picked up, especially because the official translations won't pick up progress wise anytime soon.
>>
>>141771597
by translating something kadokawa doesn't want them to do, licensed or not. dont pretend to give a shit about supporting the author just because of a license when you had no problem putting out their work for free against the wishes of the property holders when they weren't looking. (sometimes even excepting donations for it)

if you dont want to do it because now someone else will, fine, but let's not pretend this is about 'supporting the author'. most of the people who read fantrans are the same ones buying the physical releases in spite of them being localized to hell or even buy the raws because they know the author will actually see a good chunk of that money. so let's also drop the "muh you just want something for free" BS.
>>
>>141770247

Are LNs genre popular in western? people buy LNs in english?
>>
>>141772309
it's a niche market and in the case of physical release, like everything else in the west, a dying one
>>
>>141772309

Considering that all the popular titles are continuing to get licensed, and that Kadokawa felt it was a worthwhile investment to acquire a controlling interest in Yen Press, someone is buying them.
>>
>>141772309
There is a lot of demand for books that middle and high schoolers can read, often called Young Adult (YA) fiction. Many LNs are suitable for that.
>>
>>141772256
>most of the people who read fantrans are the same ones buying the physical releases in spite of them being localized to hell or even buy the raws because they know the author will actually see a good chunk of that money.

By most, do you mean 5%?

>you had no problem putting out their work for free against the wishes of the property holders when they weren't looking.

But I brought them plenty of sales according to your other point?
>>
>>141772256
>most of the people who read fantrans are the same ones buying the physical releases
Youre projecting pretty hard right there. Also, im not the translator so i dont know why youre going all ad hominem about MY intent vs whatever the fuck their intent are.
>>
>>141772585
don't bother m8, keep the good work
>>
>It's a thread where people who read the fan translation shit on YP and spout crap like 1 volume a year thread

Look, i know you guys are mad YP caused your translations to stop but the only reason that has occurred because the translators for LN's are incompetent fags who don't know about keeping their identity hidden and thus allow them to get traced.

If manga adaptions of LN's can get localised and then even still get translations without a problem of getting taken down, then that says a lot about the people who do LN's.
>>
Why do people read light novels?
They're shit.
>>
Thank god, I won't have to read the shitty fan translations now.
>>
>>141770247
>Cover not final

What did they mean by this?
>>
Jew Press needs to die in a fire
>>
>>141773065
>spout crap like 1 volume a year thread
It's not crap though, Yen Press is notorious for licensing shit, releasing 1 volume, seeing it doesn't do as well as they expect it to do and then they drop it while keeping the license.
The problem is everyone could've told him that stuff like Korean Zombie Desk Car wouldn't sell, and they still license it, release some shit and now they haven't done shit with it for almost 3 years.
>>
>>141773065
so much truth here it hurts.

guess it's time to switch to the manga community be done with this same song and dance
>>
File: 1460016250760.jpg (22 KB, 206x580) Image search: [Google]
1460016250760.jpg
22 KB, 206x580
So we have to wait ~2 years for the official volume 10?

>>141772585
Thanks for all your hard work
>>
>>141773460
It means that the final cover image is subject to change before release.
>>
>>141773460
They will probably change the title into English.
>>
>>141773065
Also
>who read the fan translation shit on YP
Do you actually think that Yen Press translations are a lot better than decent fan tl? They're not. Hell most of their translation staff used to be fan translators and not even the good ones.
>>
Isn't this old news? Why is everyone sperging about it now?
>>
>>141773065
Aimless copyright trolling is still trolling.
>>
>>141773641
They didn't have a license before, they just send a DMCA notice to skyth ewood.
>>
>>141773641
The announcement of Yen Press having the license was just made at Anime Central earlier today. Granted everyone had expected it for some time now though.
>>
>>141773605
>remembers what they did to no game no life
>they don't bother with honorifics outside of the occasional mr/ms
>they replaced names that start with R with L
>their tendency to fuck up names in general
>changed dialogue to sound more "politically correct"
>most releases dont even offer a digital format
>paper quality is rubbish
>frequent misprints

Yup, quality translations.
>>
>>141773498
>Index
>log horizon
>Durarara
>Devil is a part timer
>Accel world
>Hestia

These all have 2 or 3 volumes come out in a year.

Fuck off with your bullshit.

I look forward to the hardcover Baccano.
>>
>>141770288
>>141770435

>Great news for everyone who wants a quality translation! Yen Press has picked up this project.

>This site started because they DMCA me without licensing anything, which was just stupid.

>Now that they have licensed it, it is only right to stop since they are releasing an official version. Not right to deny the author her share of the profits.

Emphasis on
>Now that they have licensed it, it is only right to stop since they are releasing an official version.
>>
>>141773605
>decent fan tl?
Pfft do you know how rare as fuck this is?

Don't know why some of them attempted with monogartari like they are capable of handling Nisio tier shit.

Anyways i don't care, your translators are just a bunch of retarded pussys anyways so enjoy seeing your fav series get DCMA'd left and right.
>>
>>141770247
Another good series condemned to death.
>>
>>141773863
>mahouka just now getting volume 1 out even though it's been licensed for ages
> delays for multiple series including SAO progressive which was already caught up
> 2-3 releases still means upwards of 3-5 years to catch up on index, mahouka and all the other long running series they've been sitting on

>bullshit
>>
File: axatkc6.jpg (83 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
axatkc6.jpg
83 KB, 1280x720
Don't think I'll read/buy, the voices really carried the show.
>>
>>141771520
Yen Press killed the Strike the Blood fanbase though.
>>
>>141774164
What , it had a fanbase? Anime was shit , dont know ln tough.
>>
>>141774053
>Thinking a book company can just dish out 5 or more books a year
>Not understanding moderation and sales

You don't see japs do this or even normal fiction books do it so don't be retarded.

But yeah go on, name more examples because just listing Sao isn't good enough.
>>
>>141774243
There was gonna be a LN fanbase since people were interested in reading it but Yen Press just put it on their ever growing Backlog of Licensed Novels they probably only plan to release after the Japanese Olympics which by that point, everyone stopped caring.
>>
>>141774164
Strike the blood is so garbage only the fanservice in the anime was the good points so i don't see why people would result to reading that trash in book form.
>>
>>141773498
>Yen Press is notorious for licensing shit, releasing 1 volume, seeing it doesn't do as well as they expect it to do and then they drop it while keeping the license.
When has Yen Press done this, ever?
>>
ITT: mad poorfags
>>
>>141774537
Most Of yew press releases get ripped anyway.
>>
>>141774537
People don't get mad because they are being released for money, but because it stops translations for years.
>>
>>141774300
>more examples of delays

you're kidding right?

>not understanding that digital releases aren't subject to supply and demand rhetoric companies keep spouting to keep the money in their pockets and out of the middleman's

keep drinking their koolaid. meanwhile kadokawa annouces bookwalker with hopes of simultaneous releases. they can and eventually will be able to put out content faster, but by then they will be able to dictate how you read it via their awfull apps and DRM ridden formats.

but go ahead and keep being a sheep
>>
>>141773897
I like to put emphasis on
>Vanir fanfic will be uploaded starting next week, and fanfic 9 will be the last volume to be worked on.

Thank you Sky.
>>
>>141774769
Damn you really are delusional and don't know how shit works huh?

You seem mad to be disregarding basic grammer too but regardless, I won't be mad if that brings in more official translations so whatever.
>>
>>141775022
>grammer
Nice try.
>>
where's my fucking second season?
>>
>>141773863
You realize they own a lot more than your cherry picked examples?
>>
File: 1296877889055.jpg (84 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1296877889055.jpg
84 KB, 600x600
>>141770247
>Yen Press's shitty localization
>>
Thanks, OBAMA!
>>
By the way Death March LN and manga got picked up by yen press too.
>>
>>141770247
Another great LN dead because of nigger-press.
>>
By the way is jcafe kill? Cant go there for more than a week. And here i was waiting for the no game no life translation update.
>>
>>141773501
Basically yes. 2 years at minimum. Holy shit this sucks.
>>
DONT STOP THE FANFIC PLEASE
>>
>>141773897
If that is their reasoning, how do they morally justify translating titles that anyone with half a brain knows are going to be licensed just because they haven't made the official announcement yet?
>>
I hope you people realize that you can't fight with them to make them continue. At most you can ask and hope
>>
I wonder when Vertical will announce what they picked up after that poll in April.
>>
Too bad, the fanfic was great
>>
>>141776767
Everyone will have big announcements at AX.
>>
>>141776767
They'll only do that next year.
>>
I still don't understand why translators don't have a dark-net hub yet. IPFS is perfect for this shit, it's already usable for (static content) and everyone can access the resources unlike TOR.

You would think after translations getting shut down so frequently translators would band together to make something DMCA-proof.
>>
>>141774321
Not wanna sound crazy, is it true by all means to have first volume after the Japanese Olympics.

I didn't know we had a fanbase dedicated to StB.
>>
>>141772256
You're being retarded. Most translators TL stuff because they enjoy the series and want to spread the word. While it may be illegal (or at least, in a legal gray zone), the fact is that once something gets licensed one of the main reasons you're doing it - to help spread the work - is moot. That said, in some cases it makes sense to continue a fanTL because licensed releases will often take ages to catch up to the fan TL and will never catch up to the current Japanese release, but that is up to the discretion of the translator. As for me I never drop a series I'm working on because it got licensed but I can completely understand why somebody would do it. There's always more stuff to work on; if something is going to be translated by somebody else anyway, and officially, there isn't much point in wasting your time when you can put effort into helping spread some other author's work. You are assuming that translators think about things the same way you do, when they don't.
>>
>>141777058
We're just looking at this from our perspective, which equals to NO NEW KONOSUBA FOR YEARS, and it hurts anon
>>
How much would it hurt Yen Press to start translating from the start and from where fan-translations ends at the same time?
Or slightly more realistic: start from the beginning and from the next volume released in Japan.
I know that in a lot of cases these options are identical.
>>
>>141777337
It's impossible for them to do that because they would be legitimizing the fan tl, which they don't
>>
From what I'm reading this is just disheartening

If Yen Press and Kadokawa think this a smart plan to eliminate fan translation as business step. They are nothing full of shit. You translations and fans need to stick and fight for you love the most.
>>
>Tap continued translating SAO with no DMCA takedowns
>Drunken Wolf continued translating Spice and Wolf with no DMCA takedowns
>ultimatemegax translated Haruhi volume 10 with no DMCA takedown
>livejournal translator continued translating Maou-sama with no DMCA takedowns

I think Danmachi is literally the only one in recent years (i.e. not the original C&Ds sent to Baka-Tsuki for Haruhi, Spice and Wolf, and Book Girl) that got hit with a cease and desist from Yen Press. Possibly because Danmachi was on volume 4 while YP was on volume 1, whereas all the others are currently many more volumes ahead.
>>
>>141772585
Alright faggot I'm gonna be paying you up front in bitcoin for fanfics to continue. How about it?
>>
>>141777377
Except that Yen Press has left the SAO translations, the Hataraku Maou-sama translations alone, and the S&W translations alone.
>>
>>141773498
>Yen Press is notorious for licensing shit, releasing 1 volume, seeing it doesn't do as well as they expect it to do and then they drop it while keeping the license
That's not Viz Media or Tokyopop. Yen Press actually releases what they license, even shit that sold badly like Bungaku Shojo.
>>
>>141774321
>but Yen Press just put it on their ever growing Backlog of Licensed Novels they probably only plan to release after the Japanese Olympics
They're steadily releasing one volume every four months since September 2015.
>>
>>141777536
The fanfic is pretty good, why would you care about Yen Press? This literally just means a few years of no new content
>>
>>141771038
someone remind me again why the fuck LN translators just give up when series is licensed to a north american publisher? crunchyroll and funimation sub all of their shows on their own and yet fansubbers still persist
>>
>>141777631
>The fanfic is pretty good, why would you care about Yen Press?
Have you compared the Maou-sama fan translation to the official translation from Yen Press? Yen Press's version is actually funny.
>>
>licensing LN which already has fantrans
I kind of hate their move, they're just like Sekai Project of LN.
>>
>>141776767
Vertical has his hands full whit bakemonogatari this 2016
>>
>>141774387
Konosuba is the same.
>>
>>141777631
>This literally just means a few years of no new content
Don't be stupid, somebody will pick it up if only for the e-peen. This has been happening with for years when it comes to popular series that Yen Press licenses. See: Haruhi, S&W, SAO.
>>
>>141777682
Anime fansubbers went through this a decade ago and only those who don't give a shit and those who translate ancient titles remained afterwords.
>>
>>141777768
That would be great, but can we actually expect the same quality?
>>
>>141777682
It's not just LN translator, but it's also Manga and even Eroge.
>>
>>141777695
They have two options most of the time.
License stuff without a fan translation, or license stuff that actually sells.

>>141777700
They had a poll where people could write in an LN they wanted to be licensed, so they are clearly planning to pick up more stuff.
>>
>>141777682
90% of fansubbers do it for the efame and dick sucking
>>
File: Kidding me.jpg (51 KB, 542x466) Image search: [Google]
Kidding me.jpg
51 KB, 542x466
>Blaming Companies for Fans translations for being discontinued when the fucking translator can still do it regardless

Gosh people are so retarded.
>>
>>141773897
>implying any jap author gets gross points on western sales
Good one /a/, you're totes "supporting" the author.
>>
>>141777951
Can you even read? Vol 9 will be the last volume they will translate, retard.
You're the one who retarded here.
>>
>>141777878
To be fair, while eroge usually stops because when something is picked up, the fanTL team usually works directly with the company who picked up a license.
>>
>>141777960
i dont care about supporting the author fampai, she is already doing quite well in nipland i just want my konosuba desu
>>
>>141777951
Official translations a shit. A SHIT.
>>
>>141777951
If Yen Press didn't decide to translate an already well translated series we would still continue to get timely translations
>>
>>141778010
I'm still waiting Chrono Clock and Wagamama. And moogy-dono finishing Subahibi with Sekai Project.
>>
Holy shit, Did Yen Press just post on /a/?
>>
Remember what happened to Danmachi? Fantrans died by DMCA and everyone who didn't want to give shekels to Yen Press lost interest. Not only that, but the more series they add the slower translating everything else gets and the quality of the translations is in question (do they localize it or do a faithful translation with honorifics? Couldn't know, I don't give shekels to YP).

This comes down to translators not hosting translations on something that doesn't fucking burn down when a single DMCA notice comes through, the fansub scene has already existed for fucking years and they still can't make a goddamn DMCA-resistant hub. This is not the fucking NSA or FBI that's after them to shut them down, the publishers can't do shit if you host the translations on some site on TOR or something like IPFS.
>>
>>141778157
No.
>>
>>141777996
I think you can't read. This whole thread is full of bitching about it in general.

>>141778093
Doesn't matter, same shit happens with manga and everything still goes smoothly. LN translators just always feel like giving up for some retarded reason, like you begin to wonder if they even liked the series they worked on at all.
>>
>>141776531
Exact same fucking situation as Accel World, where it's taken them like 2 years to catch up to the point where the fan translated stuff was up to.

And at that exact point, they drop their release rate to something like 2 per year. I'll still buy the fucking books but YP Licenses generally kill's the established fanbase because they take so long to release "new" content that everyone's moved on.
>>
Any reason to hate official releases that is not "muh DMCA'd fan translations"?
>>
File: 1304256883177.png (174 KB, 359x400) Image search: [Google]
1304256883177.png
174 KB, 359x400
Do people not WANT to read a translation of Gifting that didn't come via Singlish by way of Mandarin?
>>
>>141778213
>LN translators just always feel like giving up for some retarded reason
They don't want to impact themselves getting a job there.
>>
I should really fucking learn japanese
>>
File: 1463346712189.jpg (56 KB, 415x395) Image search: [Google]
1463346712189.jpg
56 KB, 415x395
Bring in Hakomari faggot ass YP instead of always bringing garbage that aired recently.
>>
>>141778175
I haven't seen a single honorific in any of the YP LNs I have.
>>
>the Slow Press
>AGAIN
Jesus fucking christ
Why does sky quit anyway? Wasn't the whole fucking point of the new site to avoid DMCA?
Good thing I finally started learning moon fuck this shit
>>141778234
No, people don't want to read a translation of possibly questionable quality (see NGNL) after waiting fucking years for it to catch up.
>>141778232
No, besides the fact that they're incredibly slow, not always of good quality, and always years behind.
>>
File: 1463144726505.gif (2 MB, 280x200) Image search: [Google]
1463144726505.gif
2 MB, 280x200
Why do yen press not just commision the fan translator since he has already done 9 volumes. Pay for his work and they can reap in a load of money quick before the hype dies down. they really have no head for business!
>>
Who else here can't read psycome thanks to jewpress?
>>
>>141771675
It's a FANFIC of Konosuba, there is not much to get
>>
>>141778175
I second this we need a fan-translations project/website by anons, only anons who don't give a fuck against DMCA or stupid bullshit.
>>
>>141778232
They're usually localized as fuck.
>>141778332
The Jew Press makes everything disappear.
>>
>>141778305
>people don't want to read a translation of possibly questionable quality (see NGNL)
With the breakout popularity of Konosuba, they're more likely to put someone of actual capability on it like they did for SAO and Index, especially if Kadokawa has a say in it.

>>141778332
Read the first four volumes long ago.
>>
File: horo~~n.jpg (8 KB, 150x193) Image search: [Google]
horo~~n.jpg
8 KB, 150x193
>>141778232
Back in the Tokyopop days they had horrible release schedules and were dropped at random. The last official LN release problem I can think of was the debacle with the first couple volumes of Spicy Wolf, which Yen Press did go back and fix after getting a lot of shit from fans.
>>
>>141778306
It's all about the greed nigga
>>
>>141778370
>Index
Where are they up to in Index?
>>
>>141778349
>They're usually localized as fuck.
This is not a bad thing. See: Maou-sama. What the fuck do you want to read broken English translations from Chinese for?
>>
>>141778332
Psycome got Editor'd at volume 6.

He ends up with Gasmask, obviously.
>>
>>141778305
You forget that non burguers are utterly fucked since if the shipping doesn't kill us, the coin change does
>>
>>141778415
Localized and correctly translated are not the same thing smartass.
>>141778443
This as well.
>>141778389
Season 3 never.
>>
>>141778413
>Where are they up to in Index?
Volume 7 due in June.

>>141778418
I thought he ended up with Rusty because Gasmask was comatose?
>>
>>141778404
They should at least be efficiently greedy. At least yen press don't meme us into oblivion like seven seas.
>>
>>141778415
>This is not a bad thing
I hope you are joking
>>
>>141778415
I'd rather a good translation than either of those. Which if you're actually paying money for, you should get.
>>
>>141778457
Wait what? I just don't know then.
>>
>>141778457
>Volume 7 due in June.
>volume 7 due in June
>this is why they demanded all of Old Testament to be removed
epic
>>141778415
Someone post the fansubbing comparison with 4kids
>>
>>141778443
Can't someone just upload it?
>>
File: horo denied.jpg (307 KB, 993x1400) Image search: [Google]
horo denied.jpg
307 KB, 993x1400
>>141778454
To be fair, it would require multiple seasons to cover the "essential" content from the books, and they'd have to go back and cover Elsa's introduction since they skipped that book.
>>
>>141778443
>the coin change does
Not in Euroland. Also, unless you want the physical copy, you can buy the digital version.
But if you were reading the fan-translation, why do you care about physical copies at all?
>>
File: IMG_20150425_201057.jpg (40 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150425_201057.jpg
40 KB, 1024x576
>>141778306
>Pay a fan translator who literally went on google translate then edited out minor stuff

My fucking sides they deserve jack shit most of the crap on Baka tsuki.
>>
>>141778538
Which is why you spend so much time translating that all hype and interest dies right
>>
>>141778443
Bookdepository has free worldwide shipping.

>>141778470
I am not joking. Aside from the loss of honorifics Yen Press doesn't generally insert dumb memes and donuts like Commie does. They did good work with SAO, and they are actually doing SAO Progressive on time, which the fan translators would have finished by about 2025.
>>
>>141778538
I didn't mean just shove that shit straight out but buying the "work" of the fan translator will undoubtedly speed up the production schedule.
>>
>>141778581
>I am not joking
Localization is literally exclusive to accuracy, I hope you realize that.
>>
>>141778555
LN is a dead medium here regardless and this hype you speak is like what? 300 or so people possible reading that shit? Get real no one deserves to be paid for bad work.
>>
>>141778443
Where is shipping and coin change a problem?
I get all my manga and LN pretty cheap from a Scandinavian website with free shipping.
>>
Yeah so I'll buy the first manga print like I did "No Game No Life," Then YP will get distracted with the next flavor of the month and release volume 2 and 3 as LNs only. Yen Press is to manga what Funimation is to anime.
>>
Is it so hard to publish fan translations on the internet when the series get licensed?
I mean, hosting them on a website will result in a take down, but isn't there any other way? Like torrents?
>>
>>141778653
No e-peen to be had that way
>>
Spice and Wolf still isn't translated in it's entirety by Yen Press.

It's been over 5 fucking years maybe close to 10 now. Either finish it or let someone else do it by this point.
>>
>>141778333
I don't get why would anyone care about fanfiction and why I see it ever fucking time I come in a Konosuba thread. I must have missed something.
>>
>>141778653
>hosting them on a website will result in a take down
Like fuck it will, there exist other websites besides wordpress and blogspot
>>
>>141778653
There are loads of ways, which is why it's retarded that some translator hasn't done that yet. Tor, IPFS, torrent, etc..
>>
File: 1460172177191.jpg (149 KB, 637x480) Image search: [Google]
1460172177191.jpg
149 KB, 637x480
>>141778581
>Yen Press doesn't generally insert dumb memes
>>
>>141778306
Why pay when you can use it for free? I remember when man-ga here in italy stole low quality with shitty grammar subs for highschool of the dead.
>>
File: 1463225993482.jpg (26 KB, 328x466) Image search: [Google]
1463225993482.jpg
26 KB, 328x466
>>141778734
>>141778581
>he doesn't like memes
>>
>>141778622
>Actually wanting to pay for garbage shit straight out of baka tsuki

But listen anon, that translator does not own the series and has no copyright crap on his translations. There is no "Kind" business that would pay for shit like that out of goodwill.
>>
>>141778770
>having Sora say 1337 gamer is a good meme
>>
>>141778671
>Spice and Wolf still isn't translated in it's entirety by Yen Press.
Yes it is
>>
>>141778625
Localization is about equivalence of spirit, tone, and the reader experience. Literal translations do not automatically result in accuracy, you humungous pillock.

Can you imagine a translation of an English work into another language being literal when translating shit like "make like a banana and split" or "it's up in the air" or "have no clue"? How the fuck would that make any sense?
>>
>>141778671
>Spice and Wolf still isn't translated in it's entirety by Yen Press.
It is.

>or let someone else do it by this point.
Someone else did do it, and Yen Press left them alone.
>>
>>141778829
Most of these idiots complaining about localization don't even know Japanese and are just throwing fits about lack of honorifics.
>>
>>141778829
That's not what complaints about localization refer to and you know it faggot.
>>
>>141778810
>>141778869
No it's not I jus-

oh... well shit. I guess it's been quite a while since i've checked. I retract my previous statement and hang my head in shame.
>>
>>141778888
nice quads.

But really, I don't give a shit about the lack of honorifics as long as the translated text flows properly and doesn't make shit up. What I do give a shit about is having to wait 2-3 years to read new content, since it's long established that I'll never fucking be able to read japanese.
>>
>>141770247
>Yen Press picks up another LN despite being unable to translate the ones they already have on time.
Figures
>>
>>141771193
hey Sky, since Setsuna is such a shit, would you translate Bahamut please? preferably volume 8-9
>>
It is as if you want the pussy LN translators to shut down.
>>
Yew Press is evil
>>
>>141778829
Accurate translations are not literal translation. 'it's up in the air' does not literally mean it's up in the air, which is why you replace it with a term that means roughly the same thing.
I've never read YP so I don't know how they localize, but technically replacing sushi with oreos is localizing and nobody would find that okay.
>>141778994
Mainly this. I'm going to learn Japanese if it fucking kills me
>>
>>141778994
>it's long established that I'll never fucking be able to read japanese
The only way to lose is to give up.
>>
File: IMG_20160520_012838-1.jpg (108 KB, 663x398) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160520_012838-1.jpg
108 KB, 663x398
>Reading ongoing LN's that come out twice a year in nipland

Give me on good excuse to reading LN's while they are ongoing and not just wait for the end.

Last LN I've read that was ongoing was Tokyo ravens and there still hasn't been any damn translations in a year.
>>
>>141779106
It's horrible. And manga fags complain about lack of updates :^)
>>
>>141779106
If you started learning nip you'd be able to read fine.
if not it's because you'd get hit with shit like Index where the Jewish Press orders a takedown.
>>
>>141779106
>one good reason to read ongoing LNs

Impatience.
>>
Has anyone else tried the Heisig method out? It's good for being able to understand, but not really read passages.
>>
>>141779106
To be*
>>
>>141779045
>I've never read YP so I don't know how they localize
Oh, so you're complaining about shit that you didn't read.

>but technically replacing sushi with oreos is localizing
Yeah, and technically your mom is a form of whore but that doesn't mean anyone is actually paying her for sex.

Shit, if you want to actually read a decent Yen Press localization for free then go download the Maou-sama or Index epubs from the sekrit club.
>>
>>141770247
See you in 2030!
>>
>>141779183
Heisig method is fucking retarded. There is no good reason to deliberately refrain from learning how to pronounce kanji while learning the meanings and will impair your ability to listen to anime.
>>
>>141779106
This.

Series Like Konosuba look like it'll never end so i don't bother reading that shit.
>>
>>141779183
It's a fucking retarded method. Just memorize them and the shit comes naturally, it's only useful when you suddenly find a kanji you don't recognize and want to guess it without booting up a dictionary.

>>141779200
>Oh, so you're complaining about shit that you didn't read.
I'm not even someone complaining about YP you fucking moron, but great job slinging your mom insults hahaha fucking epic XDDd :p >>>/b/
I'm only telling you that localization actually is opposed to accuracy, because it actually fucking is.
>>
>>141779275
It shouldn't be too far away from ending actually
>>
>>141773842
>changed dialogue to sound more "politically correct"

Are you shitting me?
>>
>>141779153
How long could it take until I'm able to understand LNs?
>>
Who gives a shit anyway? There's already 8 volumes translated and I'll bet the series won't even go on for much longer.
>>
>>141779183
Studying kanjis individually is useful for word retention. However, the best way to do it is to study vocabulary and only focus on kanjis that make up words you find difficult to memorize.
Studying even simple kanjis individually, as in the Heisig method, is kind of a waste of time in my opinion.
>>
>>141779327
What makes you think that, they've gotten rid of only 2 Demon Generals (Vanir and Wiz are alive) out of the 6 needed to make the barrier die.
What would the endgame even be? Kazuma gives no shits about killing the Demon King.
>>
>>141779275
They all end eventually.
I have a series with 80 volumes in my cellar.
Got through ca. 50 of them before I suddenly forgot I was reading it.
>>
>>141779314
>I'm only telling you that localization actually is opposed to accuracy
Yes, using an incredibly facetious definition of "localization" that equates the entire process to replacing onigiri with donuts instead of recognizing the existence of a spectrum.
>>
>>141779406
I don't think Vanir is supporting the barrier anymore. After all, he's Vanir II now. Vanir I died back then.
>>
Didn't YP kill the mahouka fanbase alone?
>>
>>141779387
a month if you got nothing, absolutely nothing else to do, and invest 100% of your time awake just crunching efficiently. Obviously, you'll spend that time reading/watching things you want to be able to understand as well.

Or it could take years if you don't actively put in the time. There's no fixed estimate for how long it takes to learn a new language that has very little in common with what you already know.
>>
>>141778418
>Psycome
Just one volume more and its the end. I just want to see the ending.
>>
>>141779387
If you study 20 new words a day, in one year you should be able to understand them, but it's gonna be very slow and hard at the beginning.
However you should start to read native material after 3-4 months of studying. That's the best way to learn a language.
>>
>>141779314
>I'm only telling you that localization actually is opposed to accuracy, because it actually fucking is.
No, creating a text that flows and doesn't make shit up necessitates a measure of localization, or else you just get literally accurate but effectively inaccurate translations. Swapping ramen for burgers is just one thing that may be chosen to be done in the localization process, but is not itself the core of the process.
>>
>>141779485
A lack of new material leads to poor discussion, so I can only imagine.

At least Youjo Senki is too anti-PC for YP to pick up without ANN throwing a shit fit like they did with KnJ.
>>
>>141773897
>Not right to deny the author her share of the profits.
What share of what profits
>>141779447
Translating shit like 'up in the air' literally would be an incorrect translation, the correct version would be to use either the plain, non-saying version or to find a similar phrase. I count that as part of translation, not localization.
Replacing Sensei with Teacher is also localization and compromises on accuracy, but it's such a small loss that it doesn't matter that much and you might not even know there IS a loss. I chose an extreme example to make sure you got the point, but you still managed to miss it.
>>141779479
Isn't he just trolling?

>>141779387
Two months if you work at it.
>>
>>141779408
They'll end when I'm a 60 yo fag and don't give a shit about jap media.
>>
>>141779509
>a month
How can anyone make it one month? You can cram all of Tae Kim and study like 200 words a day, but there's no way you're gonna retain all that in such a short time
>>
>>141779599
Translation doesn't mean literal translation though, unless you're counting even changing the grammatical structure of sentences as part of localization.
>>
>>141779618
It's Vanir after all, so who really knows?
>>
>>141779696
His masks are serious business. He wouldn't bullshit about being Vanir II.
>>
>>141779528
Was volume 3 the one in the woods?
I'm pretty sure that was the last one I read.
>>
>>141779651
You cram it all and study 200 words a day then start reading WNs, which means you're now applying the knowledge and can actually remember it.
I dunno, I used two and a half months of cramming with a week of slacking off in the middle and made it enough to be reading Jashin Average which isn't really one of the hyper difficult WNs but not a baby one either.
>>
>>141779485
And Danmachi, and Log Horizon, and Hataraku Maou, and Index (original), and Haruhi, and No Game No Life, and Strike the Blood, and sword art online, and they will kill many many more in the future.

Darknet hosting FUCKING WHEN already?
>>
Yen Press a shit.
>>
>>141779618
>Translating shit like 'up in the air' literally would be an incorrect translation, the correct version would be to use either the plain, non-saying version or to find a similar phrase. I count that as part of translation, not localization.
Yeah, well, we're operating on two different definitions of localization because to me localization also includes replacing turns of phrase and idioms and slang with equivalents that make sense.

>Replacing Sensei with Teacher is also localization and compromises on accuracy, but it's such a small loss that it doesn't matter that much and you might not even know there IS a loss.
No, it enhances accuracy, because your average English-speaker doesn't understand the term "sensei" the way a Japanese person would. If you left it as "sensei", they would think of a martial arts instructor, and be confused as fuck when it actually refers to a teacher or a doctor.

>I chose an extreme example to make sure you got the point, but you still managed to miss it.
No, you're missing the point that localization includes even the most basic of translation adjustments needed for proper equivalence, which are not inherently opposed to accuracy, and chose instead to parrot the 4kids boogeyman.
>>
>>141779765
>Log Horizon
You can blame the double whammy of Snail Press and DEEEEEEEN for that.
>>
>>141779765
>Index
>Gets daily threads here
>>
>>141779651
just some shit someone bragged about in a DYT at some point. Obviously to be taken with a grain of salt, though retaining all that is gonna be a bitch regardless of wether you add new 20 words per day or 300. The key, imo, lies in using the acquired knowledge through reading, rather than be satisfied that a computer program now declares that you "remember" a word.
>>
I wouldn't mind so much but this is all they do. When was the last time they didn't license something following a popular anime adaptation or popular fan translations?
They start something, they just snatch it away when it's popular. Why not take a gamble on something newer for once and keep it up as close to date as the Japan release as possible?
>>
>>141777021
Because they want money from ads since donations ain't cutting it
>>
>>141779836
Well yeah, luckily New Testament is a separate series, would be a shame if YP licensed it now wouldn't it?
>>
File: 1453199413981.png (541 KB, 704x528) Image search: [Google]
1453199413981.png
541 KB, 704x528
You know what smacks it? The series I'm seeing people complain about are some garbage entry level shit like holy fuck the amount of shit taste in thread.

Whatever YP is doing good on them for killing this cancer.
>>
I want Yen Press devs to leave.
>>
>>141779888
You mean it's hard to make a blog where they can point to for donations? WOW, SO HARD, WHAT IS TECHNOLOGY?
>>
>>141770294
It's totally shit. There are lots of things they changed there. One instance is that Aqua acts like she's in love with Kazuma.
>>
>>141779805
>No, you're missing the point that localization includes even the most basic of translation adjustments needed for proper equivalence
Which I count as part of translation. If we're operating on two different definitions then there's not much to talk about I guess.
>If you left it as "sensei", they would think of a martial arts instructor
They do? Normals at my old high school knew perfectly well that sensei could mean teacher.

>>141779765
>Index
>Haruhi
>SAO
These three are alive and well though. Or well, Haruhi is alive in the way that a zombie begging for Season 3 is alive.

>>141779894
NT looks to be almost done though.
>>
Remember.

Kadokawa bought Yen Press.

This means they want the LNs out properly. And not just fucking delays.
>>
File: 1462504817762.jpg (51 KB, 305x303) Image search: [Google]
1462504817762.jpg
51 KB, 305x303
>>141779927
Hi there, anonkun! I heard you had impeccable taste so I wanted to know what types of LNs you liked.
>>
>>141779765
They don't kill anything.
The translators who stop kill it.
>>
>>141779894
Nah.

NT has been pretty shit lately so wouldn't really care at this point and nips seem to lose interest too. Not to mention the discussion in the threads are just full of frenda spamming memes and waifu war crap.

Series should have ended with OT.
>>
>>141779406
3: dullahan, slime and chimera tranny.
>>
>>141780062
Forgot the slime.
>>
>>141770847
Most of Yen Press's light novels get three volumes a year, though.
SAO gets 6, if you count the spin-off (though they already caught up to the spin-off)

>>141771520
Index gets four

>>141779979
>And not just fucking delays.
Possibly. But I somehow doubt we'll get a significant improvement in release speed.
>>
>>141779996
You don't need to mention the obvious, we know translators are lazy fucks in anything, but translating and even that is questionable.

The only reason they stop is because they can't be bothered to host on a darknet site or because one does not exist.

Their precious donation buttons can still exist and can easily be mentioned where they can be found, they have no excuse.
>>
>>141780110
>Their precious donation buttons can still exist and can easily be mentioned where they can be found, they have no excuse.
I'll be honest though, does anyone actually buy them a coffee? I mean, I personally donate at random but...
>>
>>141780097
They need to impress Kadokawa though.

The fact that even Death Match is getting translated just means Kadokawa is in serious business mode in regards to their acquisition.
>>
If Yen Press gets rid of honorifics, then what the fuck do they do if there is a part in an LN that focuses on honorifics?
>>
>License stuff that only ever got popular because of fan translations
>Kill the fan translations
>Release volumes Y-E-A-R-S behind the Japanese schedule
>Anyone that cares will just read the previous fan translations and be mad for 2 years while waiting

Yen Press has a terrible schedule and still manages to do bad translations. I hope they improve fast, they're just killing themselves.
>>
>>141779949
>Normals at my old high school knew perfectly well that sensei could mean teacher.
Did they also know that it is used to address respected professionals like doctors or lawyers or even anyone accomplished beyond most people in a field like famous movie directors or mangaka?

Your highschool pals would be at least a little confused a translation left a physician being addressed as sensei instead of Doctor, right?
>>
>>141779882
Maybe the Kadokawa buyout will cause them to take more risks. That Goblin Slayer LN they just licensed only just started in February of this year in Japan. Re:Zero was an obvious case of Kadokawa meddling as well.
>>
>>141779979
>Kadokawa bought Yen Press.

They buy up everyone these days huh
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.