[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WTF HAPPENED TO THIS STUDIO? Dragon Ball Super looks like shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 11
File: 55-3.png (110 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
55-3.png
110 KB, 1280x960
WTF HAPPENED TO THIS STUDIO?
Dragon Ball Super looks like shit
Saint Seiya Omega looks like shit
Sailor Moon Crystal looks like shit
One Piece looks like shit.
>>
File: Asian-giant-hornet-8.jpg (81 KB, 500x331) Image search: [Google]
Asian-giant-hornet-8.jpg
81 KB, 500x331
>>141110781
All their best animators were on a staff picnic for excellent work until one of them disturbed a nest of Asian Giant Hornets.
>>
>SS, DB and SM look like shit
So nothing changed?
>>
outsourcing, and too many shows at once.
Kyousougiga looked incredible and its sad to see that they could do much better than the shit they're doing now
>>
Why people act like Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball and Sailor had good animation?
>>
>>141110781
>WTF
>>
The new season of Sailor Moon doesn't look bad. Massive improvement.
>>
>>141112486
Actually, the new Sailor Moon series doesn't look like shit because like almost every episode has been outsourced to the studio that makes Aikatsu. That and they are ahead of schedule for this season for some reason (thank god) so they have more time to correct derpy shit.

I also heard DBS has been improving a bit lately?
>>
>>141110866
>not loading up on antidotes in Azalea Town
>>
With One Piece there are a couple of possible explanations

It's a weekly show that has been running for such a long time and it's been immensely successful and profitable for quite a while as well.

Trying to have consistent quality for such a long period of time is already difficult and an immense commitment. Factoring in the old guys in suits who want to cut costs and make money, they see that the show still pulls in viewers regardless so they might not see any incentive in trying to continuously keep it quality. The only consistently strong point is the voice acting but that only involves having the right voices to be there for recording and not a large animation team constantly churning out content with a revolving door of directors.
>>
>>141110781
Saint Seiya Omega was shit but it sure as well didn't look like shit.
>>
You're wrong digimon is awesome stop cherry picking.
>>
Very big studio, with lots of lots of talent, working on lots of projects all at once, and that talent varies greatly from one animator to the next.

It's really not difficult to understand, anon. Every single thing can't be done by the one person who is best at doing that thing.
>>
>>141110781
you forgot World Trigger & Toriko

they're also shits
>>
>>141112757
>have an weekly show.
>decide to pick other show to work on

No, fuck your theory.
>>
>>141110781
They have a hard limit on the number of cuts allowed per episode, so of course it's bound to look shit.
>>
>>141110781
>WTF HAPPENED TO THIS STUDIO?

>Saint Seiya Omega looks like shit
The 1st season looked good, some chapters were really good, 2nd season wasnt that good and had wtf moments, Soul of Gold on the other hand...
>>
>>141110781
>implying any of these was eveb good
>>
>>141111023
On occasion they looked great and they made the best of their shit budget. Music for all 3 was also incredible and now as bland as everything else.
>>
>>141114104
>They have a hard limit on the number of cuts allowed per episode

What? Where'd you hear that? Seems like a really retarded way to limit a director and I'm not sure how it would cut costs at all.
>>
>>141112644
Last episode of DBS was literally 10 minutes of a dragon still getting enlarged in Photoshop.
>>
>>141110781
>WTF
Fuck off.
>>
>>141110781
They take on numerous weekly shows from already popular IPs and then outsource it all
>>
File: Kurapika chain 1999.webm (1 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Kurapika chain 1999.webm
1 MB, 480x360
One piece looks fine, not movie quality but still fine.

It's just that you underage faggots cought up with it and now that you have to wait one week for each episode you notice everything that looks even a bit off.

Also you tend to compare it to the manga.

DBSuper one other hand DOES look like shit.
>>
>WTF

What happened to this board to allow this facebook shit to stay up?
>>
>>141114691
>One piece looks fine
No.
>>
>>141114985
Stop talking shit about things you know nothing about.

From episode 1 through to the halfway point in the Water 7 arc, the show's visual quality remained fairly rooted in mediocrity. Its biggest bonus lay in the fact it was consistently on-model from week to week. It went for cheap effects, shaking stills, repeated frames, and implied action.

As the show made its way into Enies Lobby, it seemed like the production completely changed.
Every major moment appeared to be handled wonderfully, from the build-up to Gear Second to the Lucci fight, and onwards. One Piece really seemed to shine as one of the few longrunning series that nailed all of its key moments
For me, it seemed the series really hit its peak from Thriller Bark through to the Paramount War saga.

It wasn't until Dress Rosa rolled around that I began to see a noticeable decrease in the occasional episode. Though the highlights absolutely did not falter, some of the most dialogue-heavy week-to-week episodes seemed rougher, more rushed, and lacking the same consistency of the previous arcs. As the arc moved towards its climax, i admit that some fights that realistically should have looked great were not, but they were still okay. I imagine this is due to Film Gold's production, so at least there's a plausible reason. Thankfully, the Gear Fourth transformation and the subsequent fights were wonderfully animated.

ne Piece's biggest issue is absolutely 100% with its pacing, not its animation. The series could utilise filler arcs far more than it currently does. The last fully fledged filler arc that I can recall was back in 2007.
>>
>>141115125
>Thriller Bark
Not reading your trash, but as I don't watch OP I have only seen some Thriller Bark episodes on TV from time to time and they look like absolute trash, from models to actual animation.
I don't know what the rest looks like, but if that is the peak then you need to get new eyes or taste.
>>
>>141110781
You don't need good animation when you have a plot/story. Shounen anime doesn't need good animation cause the story would do the work of attracting the viewers.
>>
>>141115355
nice shitpost
>>
>>141114374
SoG never happened
>>
>>141114691
What the fuck? One Piece and DBS looks the same. Except One Piece has Shida and DBS has Tate. You get one well-animated episode every 7-8 weeks, one okay-animated every 3 weeks and shitty-looking episode the rest of the time.
>>
>>141115125
I don't disagree with your judgement of early One Piece but it noticicably got worse post Enies Lobby/removal of ED, the gaudy digital colouring, awful models and terrible pacing within the scenes themselves (not talking about chapter-episode ratio but that individual scenes just daunder around like it was made for retards. There is no tension or excitement to scenes any more.)
>>
>>141111023
SS had a great OVA series in 2002, not to mention the original series was decent in terms of animation and art. After that and a failed movie, it all went to shit.
>>
>>141115125
I agree with the pacing problems, I dropped the anime at punk hazzard and just read the manga because the entire arc was a shit show.

The animation on the other hand is definitely worse, though it feels like the show didn't "age well"
>It went for cheap effects, shaking stills, repeated frames, and implied action.
I feel like toei stopped doing this and tried to make everything look newer and failed really badly, it just doesn't work without the older style.
>>
>>141114104
The limit the number of drawings per episode, not cuts. It's around 3500 drawings IIRC.
>>
>>141110781
>Dragon Ball Super looks like shit
>Sailor Moon Crystal looks like shit
Didn't both recently improve in quality?
>>
>>141116887
Crystal got GoPri's team, DBS is improving slowly but surely.
>>
>>141114589
Fuck off it's literally a 2 second scene retard stop talking bullshit.
>>
>>141114041
Toriko would have been miles better and would probably have been more popular if Ufotable pushed through.
>>
>>141115407
More like their audience has shit taste
>>
>>141110781
They are all strained out over the years.
>>
>>141117242
Ufotable is simply unable to do a long running series. Only Toei, Pierrot and Sunrise can do it.
>>
>>141117037
that explains why maho sucks in the animation department.
>>
>>141111023
The OG Saint Seiya from like the 80s/early 90s did have good animation because it had a pretty good budget

Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon was average shit
They still look godly compared to their modern counterparts though...since despite having low frames and tons of shortcuts those frames they did were actually done fairly well unlike Dragon Ball Super which looks like it came from Deviantart
>>
>>141117412
>Ufotable is simply unable to do a long running series.
It could be seasonal instead.
>>
>>141117462
Yeah, but honestly GoPri was pretty much an exception. I don't believe any other Precure series looked this good start to finish.
And this kind of suck because I prefer Maho over GoPri.
>>
>>141117554
SJW wouldn't be into that. It would mean less visibility, less sales, and ultimately WSJ makes the decision about who gets to adapt its IPs. Toei is like THE name in anime though honestly, and easily the best choice.
>>
>>141111111
>>
>>141117562
Heartcatch did or you're cherrypicking.
>>
>>141117350
Why do fuck would you need good animation when the plot is what's more important? Leave the good animation for shallow moeshit shows, since those doesn't have a good story it needs to rely on animation to keep the moeshit eaters watching the show.
>>
File: 1457714936978.jpg (18 KB, 224x216) Image search: [Google]
1457714936978.jpg
18 KB, 224x216
>>141115125
>Stop talking shit about things you know nothing about.
>It wasn't until Dress Rosa rolled around that I began to see a noticeable decrease in the occasional episode.
You have a lot of nerve for a fucking mouth-breathing retard.
>>
>>141117792
>Leave the good animation for shallow moeshit shows
That's not how this works at all.
>>
>>141115125
For long running shonen like One Piece, especially one that often falls into lengthy world building, heavy dialogue scenes and slower pacing, having the show be consistently on model does it more favors than varying wildly between mediocre and impressive. The Skypeia arc in the anime has its own pacing issues too and that was satisfying to watch than something like Fishman Island, just because every episode was getting the same amount of attention and kept a good level of consistency.

For something of One Piece's scale I'd much rather have a series that's always average and on model for its thousand episode lifespan than one that fluctuates so terribly. It's now compounding long periods of weaker animation with garbage pacing, so episodes that would have been bearable become unwatchable. I don't tune in anymore most of the time because you can tell when an episode is getting the short end of the stick from the preview alone.

Having a great highlight every handful of episodes when Shida is in charge doesn't make the overall quality of the anime better. It just means there's some gold sprinkled in with all the garbage, and the anime has absolutely been on a gradual decline ever since the timeskip.
>>
File: quality ball super.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
quality ball super.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>141117055
>>
>>141117907
>It's now compounding long periods of weaker animation
That's probably due to the best staff gearing up for movie production.
>>
File: Qualitines.png (860 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Qualitines.png
860 KB, 1280x720
>the Ennies Lobby arc was good
>>
>>141117946
This dip in quality has been going on for years.
Since before Film Z came out, even. And it's reflected in Toei's other properties like Super and Crystal too.

And any excuse you give them doesn't excuse that the anime has been crap since like 2011.
>>
>>141117792
what's the point of watching them then when you can just read the manga?
>>
>>141117934
>literally worse than mode 7 graphics
>>
>>141117934
To be fair, the 3-second spin looks like garbage and they didn't blend the 3D planets but that's about it.
>>
>>141112486
This. The new season of SM has been a joy to watch so far. I hope it remains like this until the end.
>>
File: expand shenlong.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
expand shenlong.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
>>141118201
>>
>>141118937
Poor staff, I hope they don't die.
>>
File: 1455851018834.jpg (46 KB, 600x599) Image search: [Google]
1455851018834.jpg
46 KB, 600x599
I heard they're making Keit-ai next.
>>
File: 1462137580093.jpg (16 KB, 540x116) Image search: [Google]
1462137580093.jpg
16 KB, 540x116
>>141118937
>>141117934
Should i laugh or cry?
>>
File: gakovsfraiza.webm (1 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
gakovsfraiza.webm
1 MB, 640x480
>>141111023
Because it was better than this, anon
>>
>>141117562
Smile looked great most of the time, although to achieve that it also generally had very short motw battles, and there were still some inconsistent episodes.
>>
>>141110866
I'd consider buying a gun if I lived near those monsters
>>
>>141110781
>WTF
>>
File: AIR-Anime-HD-Wallpapers.jpg (385 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
AIR-Anime-HD-Wallpapers.jpg
385 KB, 1024x768
Toei are literally better than Kyoani at making adaptations.
>>
>>141114691
I just decided that I'm gonna watch 1999 version.
>>
>>141110781
ANN has an old documentary on Toei Animation. You can see they are (or were) one of the rare cases of using digital vector line art as a source and doing intermediate animation digitally. I won't be surprised if they still use that system because of investments and it is the reason for line art that looks like mid-2000s mediocrity and DeviantArt-tier coloring that is probably the only implemented option they have.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.