[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Himizu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: Himizu.png (1 MB, 835x1200) Image search: [Google]
Himizu.png
1 MB, 835x1200
Reading this right after Ciguatera was pretty disappointing because I thought that Ciguatera was better over all.
What was Himizu going for? What was the message?
>>
Depression I guess.
>>
Edge https://alualuna.wordpress.com/2012/06/05/himizu/ the despair of mental illness, depression and abandonment, the elusiveness of your ambitions/goals
>>
Did people generally dislike the ending? That's the feeling I got when it ended, but I thought it was pretty reasonable and fitting. Did it leave loose ends I forgot about or something?
>>
>>140996335
why would he listen to cookie monster and suicide, when he has that semon demon and gollum waiting for him after prison?
>>
>>140993099
It's a tragedy, m8, read the greeks
>>
>>140996995
>implying he woudn't get assraped in prison by bubba
Also, fucking bitch sold her out
Good thing she got raped by that hobo
>>
>>140993099
I got to say I have to respect how committed he was to his "cause" and I can honestly say after reading this and thinking I would likely do the same as him and if I had to turn myself in well, yeah I can see why he killed himself.

Overall wonderful story about well.. I guess life? Not sure how to categorize this story i guess, but I can at least say I really enjoyed it.
MC basically tried to become like Sasuke from Naruto in real life and spend the remainder of his life keeping scum off the street. But look how ironic life is, he never was able to find someone to bring to justice (though he did stop that Jason Voorhees wannabe from killing the boyfriend of the girl he crushed on). Not to mention the guy he was sympathetic to turned out to be the real trash and raped his gf. It quite greatly showed the irony of those consumed by revenge; this was just an excuse for him ditching prison and making himself believe he was doing the right thing
>>
>>140996995
You mean what he meant by 'there's no other choice' when he was speaking with his inner demon? I too, want to understand what push him to this edge. Was it a case of going prison without his own will, or was it a case of falling so low that everything he do to redeem his existence was meaningless and he's not worthy of achieving ordinary happiness?

Himizu is one of the rare few manga where I really want to understand and empathize with the main character, Sumida, instead of merely dismissing it as another 'teenager' phase everyone will go through eventually. His simple wish was to lead an ordinary life and all that went downhill, so much so he actually doubt if this kind of 'happiness' is attainable for person like him. As a guy who's also bounded by the countless rules he set for himself, he was always in conflict with his beliefs. Upon countless re-examination, even certain traits like analysing a situation calmly which he's so proud of in the past became just another 'foolish' claim. When it comes to reprimanding himself, he took a relentless and harsh approach.

This story is certainly grim, the insights of Sumida's mentality was intriguing and for some reasons rather depressing.

>>140998113
well, he did kill a bad guy in the end
that being himself
>>
What the hell is happening with Wanito scanlations? There was an anon a about 6 months back claiming that he was working on it and that it would be SOON. But since then I've heard nothing.
>>
>>140993099
Life sucks, drop out.
>>
>>140993099
>What was the message? That life sucks
>>
Insightful thread, thank you for your input.
>>
>>140996335
>I thought it was pretty reasonable and fitting
That's how I felt about it. You can't expect every person with depression and financial problems to have a happy ending. If anything the ending was like what happens in real life when someone commits suicide - depending on the person it might seem unexpected or aggravating for them to have chosen the option given their age, relationship status, family, etc, but in the end you don't know what kind of problems or thoughts were constantly running through their mind. It's a completely personal decision.
>>
Did anyone watch the film version? I heard a lot of it was changed and that it has an uplifting ending.
>>
>>141004764
I don't want to watch it because I'm afraid it will taint my perception of the manga.
>>
>>140993099
>I thought that Ciguatera was better over all
Why?
>>
File: greatest love story ever told.png (162 KB, 405x392) Image search: [Google]
greatest love story ever told.png
162 KB, 405x392
>>141004930
I'm pretty inexperienced with manga so I probably can't give a good answer but,
I thought it had better "flow" from panel to panel.
The characters were more interesting and believable I guess.
I think I was able to relate to Ogino and his friends better than I could Sumida.
I really understood how MC viewed his girlfriend as his main driving force for becoming a better person and the ending left me much more satisfied.

All in all I guess I just related to the coming of age story more than the overwhelming depression story. I still liked Himizu, but I wish there was more information about why the characters act the way they do. Besides MC of course.
>>
>>141005289
Your explanation makes sense, himizu was the mangaka's first series after only doing gag comedy so he wasn't as accustomed to the writing and panel layouts for a more realistic series.
>>
>>141005289
>but I wish there was more information about why the characters act the way they do
Well, the MC was from a broken separated family; his dad was a fucking deadbeat who also accumulated a ton of debt from his gambling (which got transferred over to him) and his mom was whoring around with other dudes and leaving him alone most of the time. He though that even though he had a shitty background, he could still lead a normal life.
As for Cigureta, it had a solid start but the story didn't go anywhere and the ending was a total letdown
>>
>>141009107
>the story didn't go anywhere
That's the problem with it, he tried many things and it all went nowhere.
>ending was a total letdown
Ending was fine and very fitting.
>>
>>141004764
I dont remember it since it was 5 years ago but yes they change the story but the ending was hard to say uplifting and the story was more smooth while it felt like the same story but at the same time different probably because of the message each try to convey
>>
>>141010586
I didn't see the ending coming at all, but it made me feel like "no matter what happens, life goes on" or something
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.