[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do some people say that DBZ should have ended with the Cell Games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: cell games.jpg (1 MB, 1280x1844) Image search: [Google]
cell games.jpg
1 MB, 1280x1844
Why do some people say that DBZ should have ended with the Cell Games?
>>
>>140779660
I don't know anyone who says that.
But this is the first time I've seen a picture like that.
>>
Because Buu fucking sucked.
>>
>>140779660
It should have ended with the Freeza saga after planet namek exploded, but they need to milk the series for all its worth.
>>
Closure, I suppose.

Goku's dead, Gohan's filled in his role, the world is safe, and everyone's fine now. Should a threat come up, he'll be there, and his dad will be up there, watching proudly.

Or he could be next to him, charging up a Kamehameha.
>>
>>140779747
This.
>>
Because people are stupid. The Buu Saga was necessary to finally resolve Vegeta's character arc.
>>
>>140779768
I guess I could sort of compare it to JoJo. The old protagonist might be around in some shape or form, but he's just that, the old protagonist. At the end of the day, he's going to step to the side for the main character to fight.

If the ending of Dragon Ball was just the very beginning of the Buu Saga, with Gohan training Goten and Videl while fighting crime, it would've given us a good place to end, a new story with a new hero. Sort of like the actual ending, with Uub and Goku riding off into the distance.

Plus, you could make a sequel series easily.
>>
>>140779870
Because the story was about Vegeta right?
>>
>>140779747

This... DBZ should have been about Gohan going from zero to hero and call it done.

Instead he went from zero to hero to zero again to the new useless Yamcha.
Seriously, he became a wimp before even Videl came along... and on super his only job is to rise his ki to call Goku, which he is barely able to do.

At least Super rescued Trunks from what GT did to him...

Should have ended after Cell when both Gohan and Trunks where still cool.
>>
>>140779694
80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/
>>
Boo arc is still the best arc, and GT > the regurgitated shit that is Super, sadly.
>>
>>140779660
sense of closure.

Like that final page of the last chapter of them all flying off is a perfect ending and trunks killing the androids is a good epilogue.
>>
>>140779660
MUH GOHAN
>>
>>140780085

Vegeta is an important character and he got completely trashed in Cell Saga. The attention he received in Buu was really well needed and it fleshed him out perfectly.
>>
>>140780312
>At least Super rescued Trunks from what GT did to him...
Yeah but Super is all over the place, it looks like they made him into a complete jobber for the sake of dramatically bringing him back to grace.
>>
>>140779660
It's mainly with what followed it. Ended on a torch pass, only to have the torch go back. The arcs before it get you invested in Gohan's character, with the Cell games being his high point, while he's a throw away character in everything after.
>>
>>140780085
>vegeta
>grows as a character gradually learns to discard his pride and sociopathic tendencies over the series
>goku
>is the same person from raditz arc to buu
>>
>>140783116
If you think Buu Saga Goku was the same as earlier Goku then you didn't pay attention. Being dead for 7 years really changed him.
>>
>>140783116
Buu Saga Goku is a psycopath. Super is even moreso.
>>
>>140783155
How so?
>>
>>140783116
>grows as a character gradually learns to discard his pride and sociopathic tendencies over the series
I say he forgotten plenty of his character development.
>>
File: 1400235012888.gif (1 MB, 250x233) Image search: [Google]
1400235012888.gif
1 MB, 250x233
>>140780037
Only thing I like about Uub is that he at least made humans relevant again.

Right before GT shat on it.

Gohan at least got to bang Teen Videl. She is top tier waifu.
>>
File: Z Buu Saga (377).png (289 KB, 1015x1536) Image search: [Google]
Z Buu Saga (377).png
289 KB, 1015x1536
>>140783204
He's a lot more casual about death for one.
>>
>>140779660
I'd argue it should've ended with Frieza. It was already getting too slow paced at that point, the character designs for most of the main cast weren't stupid yet.

The Cell and Buu saga both have shit to contribute to the series, but at a pretty high price. The pacing gets near unbearable, the show gets ugly, all but three of the characters in the show were completely useless in a fight, because it became obvious the writer didn't know what to do with them anymore.

Hell, Cell and Buu aren't really as interesting as Frieza or Vegeta as villains either. Everything after Frieza is just a steady climb downward in quality, you could argue it started before that.

The shit like Gohan becoming the hero, Trunks, Vegeta mellowing out, and maybe Cell could've been more refined, polished ideas in a seperate anime project later on, focusing less on Goku and more about his legacy.
>>
File: Ssjgohanwithotherforms.jpg (67 KB, 270x498) Image search: [Google]
Ssjgohanwithotherforms.jpg
67 KB, 270x498
>>140783116
>>140782490
Vegeta's sorry to Gohan and waving goodbye to Trunks was his closure. He said he'd never fight again. Not only were Goku, and now Gohan, stronger than him, his arrogance had nearly cost his fellow Warriors their victory.

Him flat out saying it in Buu was stupid. And don't get me started on Majin Vegeta.

Also Gohan was clearly the focus from Raditz on, Cell arc fully shows the extent of his powers. Remember its Buu that makes it SS1, SS2, SS3 etc. At the end of Cell SS2 wasn't just another step, it was Gohan's potential. No one else could achieve it, Super Sayian was as good as it got, and Goku mastered that and still fell well short.
>>
>>140783608

You can argue that Goku pulled the same shit with Cell's senzu, at the end of the day Sayans will always fight stronger opponents if they can. Vegeta didn't really consider anyone a "fellow warrior" until Buu. Besides, a revenge fight with Goku was long overdue and it would be a shame to finish the series without it.

I agree with your Gohan point only partially because he didn't do shit during the entire Cell saga until the Cell Games. I'm not saying it was an asspull but it wasn't the focus for much of it.
>>
>>140783807
>a revenge fight with Goku was long overdue and it would be a shame to finish the series without it.

Why? Vegeta came really late in the story and isn't related to Goku like Gohan.
>>
>>140783873

He came into the story around the same point as Gohan did, I don't see how that is relevant.
>>
>>140783924
He is not related to Goku like Gohan and Goku never thought of him like a rival that shit came on Boo arc.
>>
File: 1435139624514.gif (380 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
1435139624514.gif
380 KB, 500x300
>>140783807
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYd7TWJfwNs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65hU6rsHhC4

All the closure he needs.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.