[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>What if we made a movie that was an hour and a half of Goto
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: Patlabor 2 - The Movie.jpg (237 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Patlabor 2 - The Movie.jpg
237 KB, 1920x1080
>What if we made a movie that was an hour and a half of Goto talking to cops and government officials, 10 minutes of Shinobu being angry and 10 minutes of action?
>>
It would be an okay movie, still not as good as the really weird 3rd one with the ayys
>>
>>140767638
I've not seen the third one yet. Just finished the second. It felt very, very different to everything that came before it.
>>
>>140767638
Patlabor had surnatural elements since the beginning.
I'm one of the rare people that liked the film.
>>
>>140767684
Well the movies are a bit strange at first since the tv series and even the original OVA series is basically a super lighthearted kids show featuring the whacky shenanigans of future cops that fight crime in giant robots. The movies are super serious crime dramas with some spy shit and also feature giant robots.
>>
>>140767760
Yeah in the OVA series there was that one episode where they fought a giant Creature from the Black Lagoon.
>>
I always have to wonder how the movies did financially
>>
>>140767798
The thing is that the first movie seemed to be somewhere between the two. The characters were a lot more 'present', so to speak. So even though the tone of the story was a lot more serious, the characters were vibrant and stuck out.

I felt like that was missing a bit from the second movie, though I will admit that Shinobu's story made the movie worth watching.
>>
>>140767760
surnatural elements?
>>
>>140767842
Patlabor had some real weird shit in it occasionally. Like the fucking Scooby Doo ghost hunting episode or the spanish inquisition nightmare thing.
>>
>>140768011
And mutant alligators living under their compound.
>>
>>140768509
I forgot about that one, I think that was one of the later tv episodes?
>>
>>140769116
Yeah, and there's an OVA where they find more of them. Kanuka and Noa also fought a dinosaur once.
>>
I really liked Patlabor 2, the mystery was fairly interesting, and the character interactions are a nice change from all the garbage I watch seasonally.
>>
Guess I should get around to watching the movies, I fucking loved most of the OVA, but the TV series was mediocre at best and I dropped it right away.
>>
>>140769556
Do it.
>>
>>140767502

I still think the first patlabor movie is much better than the second one.
>>
>>140769556
You probably dropped the TV show before it got good. Once it gets good it's really good.
>>
To me Patlabour 2 is a masterpiece, maybe my absolute favourite animu movie.
And it has the best ending
>bad guy is caught
>why not sudoku?
>I want to see what the future has in store
>cut to the goodyear blimp no 2
It blew my fucking mind
>>
TV > Movies
>>
>>140769687
Did Oshii direct any of the episodes? Because his direction was the biggest thing that made most of the OVA so good and the last episode and beginning of the TV series so disappointing to me.
>>
>>140769786
I have to say, it had some pretty great lines. I loved 'peace that reeks of gunpowder'.
>>
>>140769918
I think he directed an episode or two of OVA2. TV, in case you aren't aware, is a loose adaption of the manga. In my opinion it comes into its own around episode 10 with the first two parter. Overall it does some very neat things with subtle character growth and development that OVA1 just couldn't do due to time constraints.
>>
So I saw a webm posted a while ago that showed Ota aiming a gun at a building with a hostage situation and he goes apeshit and shoots the building. I've not been able to find where that's from, though. I've seen the whole show, the New Files and the first two movies. Does anyone know where it's from?
>>
>>140770615
I feel like it's from the first movie.
>>
>>140770615
Sounds like the fourth OVA. They then have to go to the labor training academy and scooby doo hi jinks ensue.
>>
>>140767684
Patlabor 2 was basically Mamoru Oshii trying to make a Kerberos movie but he wasn't able to get the funding so he just hijacked headgear and made a Patlabor movie that didn't have section 2
>>
>>140770721
Oh, it's from the Early Days OVAs. Guess I need to get around to watching them.
>>
>>140767502
>What if we made a movie that was an hour and a half of Goto talking to cops and government officials
You could make as many TV series or movies as you want of Goto doing Goto shit and I would watch all of it.
>>
>>140767502
patlabor 2 was so fucking boring holy shit
>>
File: BREAK OUT THE SHOTGUN.webm (686 KB, 888x480) Image search: [Google]
BREAK OUT THE SHOTGUN.webm
686 KB, 888x480
>>140769631
Fucking this. It actually felt like Patlabor instead of GITS.

>>140771667
My man.
>>
>>140772713
Tonal disparity only makes the series richer.
>>
File: image.jpg (158 KB, 630x449) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
158 KB, 630x449
>you will never work at SV2
>>
>>140767502
I never understood why so many like Patlabor movie 2, It was so dreadfully boring.
>>
File: Sakaki.jpg (26 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Sakaki.jpg
26 KB, 500x375
>>140772985
>Sakaki will never threaten to throw you into the sea.
>>
>>140773074
your mom is dreadfully boring.
>>
>>140773340
She can be sometimes. I think I'm a good judge of boring because of her.
>>
File: 51934000_p0.png (422 KB, 911x1197) Image search: [Google]
51934000_p0.png
422 KB, 911x1197
>>140767502
>>140771667
>>140773074
The thing about the second patlabor movie is that it more an oshii movie rather than a patlabor movie. It is sort of what he did to the GitS movie.

I have seen all of patlabor (TV, OVAs, and movies) and the first two movies are still the best thing from the franchise. The OVAs are the basis of the movies, but without budget. The TV series while OK gradually get worse and worse. And I refuse to watch the live-action TV series.
>>
That live action was good?
>>
>>140774031

It's alright.
>>
>>140773882
Live action is okay. Well at least the first episode is which is the only thing I've found subbed besides a preview (consisting of Shiba bitching about how SV2 has gone to shit.) The main issue I think it has is that Shiba is literally the only returning character and in the episode I saw it felt like the new characters were just shitty knock-off sof the original SV2 team. It might get better, it might not, no way for me to tell since I can't find subs of anything else.
>>
Movie 2 is basicaly [SV2's Longest Day x (Mamoru Oshii)^3]
I loved it and its one of my favourite anime movie ever

>>140774107
>>140774307
I'm affraid of watching the live action or WXIII because they say are kinda lame
>>
>>140772713
I really dig Patlabor 2 but I get why there are people that dislike it. The cast are all dispersed and most of them get very little screen time and the tone is very different from the rest of the entries..

I'd be like if they did a TMNT movie which was mostly about April doing hard hitting investigative journalism into some sort of political scandal where the turtles only showed up for a few minutes at the end.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.