[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is One Piece really so shit since timeskip? I wanted to pick
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5
File: One-Piece.png (640 KB, 760x380) Image search: [Google]
One-Piece.png
640 KB, 760x380
Is One Piece really so shit since timeskip? I wanted to pick this up again (dropped it during Fishman Island Arc couple of years ago).
>>
It's past it's golden age, but it's only bad in anime form.
>>
>>140755410
What do you consider OP's golden age?
>>
>>140755239
Fishman Island saga is the worst part of the series. The Dressrosa stuff was perfectly fine and Zou is one of the best arcs in the series.

People only shat on the timeskip for its stretch fro FI to Punk Hazard.
>>
>>140756726
Water 7/Enies lobby. I don't think it's a stretch to say it's one of the best manga arc ever.
>>
>>140755239
You just saying that because Dressrosa had the pacing of a snail made out of rocks.

Zou made up for this for being a quick and easy world-building arc. and Whole Cake Island is looking really good so far with the focus on Sanji's past.
>>
>>140757130
Rocks? You mean lead.
>>
>>140757038
I dont really like the Enies Lobby half of that arc that much
Way too many sudden power ups and transformations, introduced actual power levels that got immediately dropped, the buster call didn't live up to its hype and it felt dragged out thanks to all the antics in the middle of it. I wish it was treated more as a climax like Alubarna rather than its own lengthy arc.

Best part of the series is the Baroque Works saga.
>>
>>140755239
nope, it is still pretty good and very entertaining
>>
>>140758973
You are pretty much among the 1 % with this opinion
>>
>>140755239
>dropping One Piece
How in the world is this possible? I read the whole manga until the latest chapter and caught up a few weeks ago and since then I am fucking dying to read every new chapter. This shit is fucking addicting.
>>
>>140759099
I feel like Enies Lobby is just the most popular because it's also the most universally appealing.
It's not as quirky as most of the arcs, it's 1v1 fight shonen battles with power level stuff. There's great drama at the beginning and end of it but the rest of it isn't standard for the series at all.

I've met a lot of people who only read the Enies Lobby and Marineford arcs and can't stand anything else in One Piece, and I doubt it's a coincidence that those are the two where the comedy and journey take a backseat for more traditional shonen tropes.

>>140759139
One Piece is one of my favorite comics but I dropped it for a bit during Fishman Island too.
Reading that shit weekly was painful so I just let the buffer build.
>>
Arcs since timeskip started with shitty fishman island, and have been getting better with each arc. This up and coming "4 yonkou saga" is especially hyped, so the trend of rising quality will continue. Manga has good pace.
In the anime, however, you'll find the exact opposite to happen. The overall production quality will continue to drop. Dressrosa for example would have been good if Toei didn't have to try to cover only one chapter per episode. It's almost unwatchable.
>>
>>140759394
>Reading that shit weekly was painful
this. It's great when you just marathon it (so something that's waiting for me), but weekly it's easy to get bored. With other dropped series like Naruto or Bleach I don't feel like returning, but OP is actually good and I want to know what the damn One Piece is.
>>
>>140755239
Fishman Island is literally the worst arc of the manga.
Every arc post-TS was better than the previous.
>>
>>140759139
I read up to gear 4th and then stopped reading after my desktop died.

I read a few chapters every once in a while. Used to read it every week for years though.
>>
>>140759139
>tfw you've been reading one piece since 2002
it's hard
>>
>>140759139
>I read the whole manga
aren't first chapters scans shit quality? or did you just buy volumes?
>>
>>140759099
Filthy 1%ers. Shaboady is the best though and Impel Down is close.
>>
>>140759139
I dropped it after Marineford and only started following again when Dressrosa started. I regret it.
>>
>>140755239
FI is shit but it gets good towards the end. PH is dragged out but otherwise alright. Dressrosa is amazing if you're reading it in one sitting but it was literally nothing happens:the chapter for almost every chapter for two years straight if you were reading weekly. Zou has been amazing so far, and the developments so far in the new arc are very, very promising.
>>
imo one piece has been the most consistent popular manga ive read
>>
>>140762405
Yeah I love sabondy because of the hopelessness all of the characters display while struggling to save each other at the cost of their own lives.

It really pulls on my heart strings
>>
>>140763852
I think its episodic nature helps that.
Like you still get a sense of progression because they're getting closer and closer to the finish line, and because the scale keeps increasing, but each island is still its own self contained story. It keeps things fresh and exciting instead of causing burnout, even if Oda often relies on formula.

It's very easy to put down, jump back into and skip around in, which is also probably why it's stayed popular while manga like Bleach died off. The barrier for entries much lower.
>>
>>140759139
Because you have shit taste pal. Also everything is goos when you speedread it.
>>
>>140763852
I'd say FMA was more consistently good, although it has the benefit of being shorter.
>>
When will the merchandise update the designs from the Fishman Island clothes to something more modern?
Their immediate post-timeskip looks were their worst.
>>
>>140761960
They colorized all of the older chapters and someone slapped translations on
>>
>>140761960
All the early chapters got redone. Only late Skypeia through Water 7 have bad scans now.
And while the translations for that bit are still iffy someone slapped all the existing translations onto the Digitally Colored Manga, which has high quality scans.
>>
>>140758973
>introduced actual power levels that got immediately dropped
I hope you're not actually complaining about doriki because that's literally just how hard someone can throw a punch. One person is going to be able to hit harder than another, it's just physical strength and it's a real, measurable thing.
>>
Well, after the introduction of haki OP start to went downhill. Now the battles are about power levels and whose haki is stronger. Other than that there's a 100 chapter manga filler arc called dressrosa I would advise you to skip that one.
>>
It's the same as aways, just Marineford babbies can't take the pacing.
>>
>>140767576
>Now the battles are about power levels and whose haki is stronger.
This happens literally once.
>>
>>140767959
>Responding seriously to a post calling Dressrosa a filler arc
>>
Punk Hazard is good Dressrosa is ok with a little bit too much padding. Zou so far is fun, but I won't try to say it is good or bad until it finishes. Fishman Island is the low point of the series.
>>
Manga only gets better.
>>
>>140755239
it is worse than before.
>>
>>140755239
It's getting worse and worse. Oda basically forgot everything about panelling and pacing.
>>
>>140771888
>
Zou begs to differ.
Also, people shit too much on PH. It was ok.
>>
>>140757038

Yeah this really.

Whatever you have to say about One Piece, Water 7 to Enies Lobby is probably the best straight up battle shounen arc to have ever been made.

And this is coming from someone who thinks 90% of everything after the time skip is garbage. Mansopp is probably the one thing I've liked.
>>
>>140774872
>And this is coming from someone who thinks 90% of everything after the time skip is garbage
But Zou and Dressrosa were great
And Whole Cake Island is looking to be the best arc yet.
>>
>>140774972

Zou had some cool art setpieces but I can't remember a fucking bit of it plotwise and it just happened.

Dressrosa took way too goddamn long and I nor probably many other people could give 3/5ths of a shit about the Strawhat Armada crew outside of Bartholomew. Doffy was great, pirate god usopp was great, "the shot" was great, Senor Pink backstory was kinda shoehorned in but good enough.

When it finally ended it was more like "oh thank god that's over" rather than "that was amazing".
>>
>>140775199
>but I can't remember a fucking bit of it plotwise and it just happened.
You don't remember the reveals about Raftel and Roger or Sanji being sent off for an arranged mafia wedding?
>>
>>140775556

Honest to god I only really remember the note Sanji left behind.
>>
Post-timeskip introduced us to MAMMOTHBOYZ so nah https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx42p0cOxyA
>>
File: 1461329778389.png (361 KB, 620x348) Image search: [Google]
1461329778389.png
361 KB, 620x348
Sabaody was OP's best arc.

Enies and water 7 was just generic shounen shit.
>>
File: 1460663251694.jpg (303 KB, 3011x2000) Image search: [Google]
1460663251694.jpg
303 KB, 3011x2000
>no chapter
>why
>japan has a lot of holidays close together, so they decide to take even more time off
is mangaka even a real job? does any other industry get away with deliberately failing to deliver its product this frequently?
>>
>>140776400
>is mangaka even a real job?

Oda has been very clear that he wanted to become a manga artist ever since he was a child to avoid having to get a real job. I remember that in one volume opener he said that he believes everybody in the world starts out with a life expectancy of 140, and the harder you work in your lifetime the earlier you die, so as a manga artist he should live to 145.
>>
>>140776400

being a mangaka is actually a pretty huge job, especially if you're popular.

I suppose you get to be a lazy shit if you hit legendary status where you can do goddamn whatever you want. See: Haijime no Ippo
>>
>>140759139
How is it even remotely addictive when you can basically predict the overall plot of most arcs? The details change but it's the same shit over and over. I don't actually think it's gone down in quality, I just think my tolerance for repetitive plot points has gone down. I never anticipate what's coming up because I've got no reason to expect anything particularly new and exciting.
>>
>>140776702
>I never anticipate what's coming up because I've got no reason to expect anything particularly new and exciting.

If you never expect what's going to happen in One Piece because you never expect it to be new and exciting, doesn't that mean that what's happening in One Piece is good and exciting?
>>
One Piece went from a really fun weekly read to being a binge-read for me.

Dressrosa was fucking horrendous when I was trying to read it weekly. I dropped it, read the whole thing after it finished, was a much better experience.
>>
>>140776517
that's pretty cool actually
we're more alike than I thought
>>
>>140755239
No, I used to think the timeskip was shit too but realised that was because the anime was skewing my perception of it. In manga form it's fine, it does start slow with Fishman Island though.
>>
File: 4534654654654.jpg (51 KB, 1183x664) Image search: [Google]
4534654654654.jpg
51 KB, 1183x664
>>140755239
Since TS there hasn't been any good fight, Fishman Island had 0, Punk Hazzard= 0, Dressrosa= 0, maybe Luffy vs Mingo but that is about it, not a single Strawhat had to do their very best to win and neither of them has shown any growth from 2 years ago, except Luffy of course
>>
>>140759139
>caught up a few weeks ago
I've started reading since 2008-2009, around the time Ace died. Waiting week after week after week after week after week after week will eventually burn you out, I guarantee it.
>>
>>140767576
It's to compensate for Luffy's rather simplistic fruit power. He's gotta distinguish himself from the ever increasing competition somehow.
>>
>>140755239
Nami and Robin's design changes make them feel less and less like characters that went through a lot of emotional development during their arcs and more like walking hourglass figurines in the background.

Also Fishman Island had a pretty boring climactic battle because it was used to showcase everyone's new powers, in contrast to their shocking defeat at Sabaody Archipelago.
>>
>>140777711
It's called being lazy. Instead of finding out a weakness for every fruit, it is easier to just use haki and save yourself the time so find a clever way to defeat an enemy.
>>
>>140777839

the female character designs have gotten fucking terrible over the years.

Fairy Tail is complete dogshit but at least Mashima can draw hot chicks. Oda's girls all look goddamn near the same now and could pass for Cenobites.
>>
>>140777578
>Since TS there hasn't been any good fight
The Straw Hat Grand Fleet commanders all had some pretty good fights in Dressrosa. Luffy vs. Chinjao and vs. Doflamingo were good too, as were Franky vs. Senor Pink and the second Sugar encounter. The only bad ones were the top executives.

I thought Monet vs. Zoro was good too, at least from a character growth perspective. It wasn't flashy but it didn't need to be.

>neither of them has shown any growth from 2 years ago
This is objectively false.
>>
>>140759394
>Enies Lobby and Marineford arcs and can't stand anything else in One Piece

They are called Mareinford babies for a reason anon. or fight fags
>>
File: 1243979337258.jpg (56 KB, 1140x393) Image search: [Google]
1243979337258.jpg
56 KB, 1140x393
>>140778252
>Complaining about too much fights in a shonen manga
>>
Just caught up from three weeks ago. Hyped as fuck.

But three swordsmen going to Wano? Come on now. This arc is going to last fucking forever. Four teams not including Sanji.
>>
>>140774972
The Zou arc is over? I put OP on hold at that arc.
>>
>>140780788
They just left last week.
>>
>>140780010
Wano is going to be a cluster fuck of a war arc. 100 + chapters for sure just to give all the characters some spotlight.

We have:

Wano citizens
Wano people on Momos side
Wano faction on Shogun and Kaidos side
Minks
Heart Pirates
Marco + Whitebeard pirates
Possible Weevil
Possible Moria (revenge on Kaido)
Strawhats
Beast Pirates

Hell even Big Moms faction may join if she becomes allies with the Strawhats
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.