[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it true that the concept of death is not allowed on American
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: niklaas.jpg (54 KB, 303x275) Image search: [Google]
niklaas.jpg
54 KB, 303x275
Is it true that the concept of death is not allowed on American Childrens Television?

At leats on the Saturday Morning Blocks?
Is that the reason why there was no Anime in the 70's and 80's in the US, but alot in Europe.
>>
He died at the end
>>
No way, that's so silly.
>>
In America, children's cartoons use words like "destroy" instead of "kill" for some reason.
>>
>>140715183

Then from where and why came the need to censor the death from Anime?

It's not just a 4kids thing.
>>
Blame retarded Reagan and conservashits for that.
>>
Why do you think those kids move to Tumblr when they get older? From one hugbox to another.
>>
>>140715250

>..."you mother...she was destroyed by an illness"
>>
>>140715346
>Illness
Those things don't exist. She's on a business trip to Canada.
>>
>>140715346
Nobody says "killed by an illness", ESLfag. In America, they say "passed away" rather than "died".
>>
>He was sent to another dimension.
>>
No, seriously, are Disney Movies (Bambi comes to mind) the only old cartoons that someone dying?

With Cable Television that changed a bit, I guess. Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network would have some shows (but I can't remember any). The Disney Channel? I remember some Death Mentions in Darkwing Duck.
>>
>>140715452
>..."your mother... she was destroyed"
Yes, this makes more sense.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (40 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
40 KB, 1280x720
>>140715008
>At leats on the Saturday Morning Blocks?
>>
>>140716529
I dont get it
>>
>>140716799
After Vortex was kill, there's no more left in the US.
>>
>>140715008
I woruldn't enderstand the need to censor it in children's television. Childrens' books (especially Newbury ones) can get away with it all the time, and kids even watch live action movies where death is featured.
>>
>>140717656

Well I am talking about the past anyways.
>>
I remember that Batman had this one episode where Batman's trying to convince an android based off of him that he's a robot, and uses the term "taking a life" a bunch.

Then, when the Batman robot thinks he killed Batman, he said he took a life, then shortly after, remarks that he killed a man.

I wonder if this sort of thing is regulated by the network.
>>
>>140715008
Cartoons in the US have to be as inoffensive as possible to avoid offending parents who will likely complain and potentially begin legal procedings to keep [thing I don't want my child to see] off television.(1) This is why anything touching on sexuality, spirituality, actual death, or even just pessimistic in tone is effectively prohibited, and why race, gender, ethnicity have to be very, very carefully balanced(2) to either be inclusive or deliberate celebrations of diversity.

1 - and the range of things that parents get offended about is extremely broad
2 - relative to the makeup of the US population
>>
>>140718166
I still keep wondering if 4KIDS was comprised of these people. Their localization of other cultures in anime was bordering on light xenophobia.
>>
I'm pretty sure they say death and kill on a regular basis in Adventure Time.
>>
>>140715314
If it had only been one side of the uniparty, we would have seen death and gore out the wazoo. Unfortunately it was both sides (remember Tipper Gore?) and all opinion leaders.

Up against them was what, the early Furry movement, some comicbook fans, and some college kids who liked "those cool Japanese cartoons".
>>
File: freezelafreeze.jpg (776 KB, 900x637) Image search: [Google]
freezelafreeze.jpg
776 KB, 900x637
>>140715008
Shouldn´t you ask that on /co/ instead?
>>
>>140718819
Delete this
>>
>>140719436
It's actually funny
>>
>>140717744

TV has different standards, and US standards are pretty fucked.
>>
I can understand why such things happens in a shit country where anybody can possess a human killing weapon.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.