[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it about, moe? Having watched anime for many, many years,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 17
File: To-LHIY5.jpg (61 KB, 479x457) Image search: [Google]
To-LHIY5.jpg
61 KB, 479x457
What is it about, moe? Having watched anime for many, many years, going on 12 years now, I've seen some weird stuff. To me, little is weirder than the current wave of intended moe anime. There hasn't been a time in my memory where the release stream of anime has been more saturated with colorful girlygirl anime somehow (?) intended for men (?). My impression is that guys get sucked into this type of anime, speaking in generalized terms about intended moe anime. One has to be careful about speaking of moe, because per definition nothing IS moe until the watcher has been added to the fray.

His liking of a specific type of character makes it moe, and the anime industry of course attempts to recreate this feeling by making what I would call "intended moe" anime. They intend to instill specific feelings thus it must be allowed to call it something of the sort.

What is it about these girly'ish drama anime that aren't even sexualized that makes adult males and other demographics think it's the best? I mean, from what I've seen, most of the anime in question are really poorly written from a litereary point of view, and exist solely to characterize these intended moe characters.

I can understand why a japanese youth likes this type of anime, he is within the agegroup and with the definitive cultural affinity, but even in nonasian anime culture its popularity has skyrocketed over the last few years. I just don't understand the affection towards such seemingly eventless and in my eyes boring anime, clearly originally intended for a very limited demograph. But perhaps I just need to borrow some input from you guys (and girls) thus changing my viewpoint.
>>
>>140691915
Me in the middle.
>>
>>140691915

Henry V had his soldiers go into battle with drawings and paintings of beautiful women, birds, flowers, and little girls on the inside of their shields. The soldiers did this not because they were gay, but because they could look at something beautiful in the horror of battle to ease the weight of what they were experiencing. Being a man is a hard thing and working full-time, going to school and taking care of your shit is hard. Sometimes you just want to sit back and watch some stupid cute bullshit. It doesn't make you a pedo or a faggot. It just means you like cute things.
>>
>>140691915
How about you fuck off.
>>
Moe is love, moe is life.
>>
Relaxing, good group dynamics, easy to follow along, cute. That's just for the simple CGDCT series like Kiniro Mosaic or A-Channel. Stuff like K-On! is entirely built on you getting closer to the characters, akin to real friends, and Aria is built on immersing you into the world as if you were there.
Another plus is its episodic, so every episode is good while other anime tend to having really boring build up episodes for a meh climax.
>>
Same reason people like cute kittens or puppies

It's cute, comfy, and feels good while requiring almost no brain input
>>
It's weird that it doesn't appeal to you since you're clearly autistic
>>
>>140691915
>There hasn't been a time in my memory where the release stream of anime has been more saturated with colorful girlygirl anime
Mid-late 00s.
>>
I can't explain it to someone who doesn't already understand.

Yeah, slow-paced, calming atmosphere with cute girls. It's basically just escapism, but for more humble, stressed people.
>>
Speaking of which, I only have time to watch one CGDCT animu. Which one is best?
>>
memes desu lad
>>
>>140691915

>colorful girlygirl anime somehow (?) intended for men (?)

This is how I know that you're a closeted faggot. I bet you wouldn't even wear a pink shirt.

>most of the anime in question are really poorly written from a litereary point of view
>I watch cartoons aimed at children because I expect them to be masterfully produced literary pieces

This is how I know that you're retarded. I bet you haven't even read 150 books.
>>
>>140691999

Trips confirm. Autobots, roll out.
>>
File: lHMftmM.jpg (397 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
lHMftmM.jpg
397 KB, 1280x720
>itt people who don't know what moe is
Moe is something a character does the makes you feel attracted to them, and it makes you want to emotionally protect them.

It could be something quirky that they do, or a flaw that psychologically fires up your protective instincts.

It's not just about them being "cute"
>>
>>140693003
This.
>>
>>140693003
The term "cute" already encompasses all that

It's impossible to see something as "cute" WITHOUT feeling an emotional, protective desire towards it
>>
>>140691915
When you're a kid you want to see stupid action and shit blowing up all the time because you're a hyperactive little dweeb.
When you're an adult you want to see some relaxing character interaction that makes you forget about the horrors of the real world.
>>
>intended for men?
Too many anime "fans" don't understand the difference between seinen and shounen and assume that because Naruto has kung fu fights and not cute girls that it's somehow for men.
>>
>>140691915
Nostalgia and paternal instinct.
>>
>>140693413
seinen usually gets high marks from anon just for being seinen though
I don't know why though since /a/ considers shojo to be more mature than shounens, with seinens at the top. Basically anything not like DBZ makes /a/ happy.
>>
>>140692719
Aria
>>
File: 1450161443193.jpg (9 KB, 236x225) Image search: [Google]
1450161443193.jpg
9 KB, 236x225
>>140693003
senpai here gets it, /v/ermin and newfags need to fuck off.
>>
>>140693003
>Moe is something a character does the makes you feel attracted to them
this

>and it makes you want to emotionally protect them.
Not necessarily this.

99% of anime fans will tell you moe is SoL blah blah blah Keion blah blah blah manime.
>>
>>140692042
implying most people deep enough in the anime hole, such as users here, partake in such manly activities and need a cutesy break from muh hard life
>>
>>140693003
You're right but at the same time moe has also been adapted to mean a genre in anime, a type of character or even a situation. It's not wrong to call a show moe and not want to marry/protect the show's smile.
>>
>>140691915
I suppose people love the simple story combined with cute characters and a bit comedy creating this healing feel. Besides is not a recent thing, "moe" and cuteness always been part of anime is just that around the 00s the industry became aware of it and how popular it was with fans.

What you see today is just a commercialized package, everything that can give the sensation of moe and cuteness it can be easily assemble to create a show, LN or a game etc.

Personally, I think genuine moe no longer exist in the industry, but it isn't completely gone though.
>>
>>140693933
For some of you it may not be that you need a break from a hard or stressful life, but a reason not to kill yourself for being a pathetic nothing.
Not even trying to insult you, literally tell me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>140691915
>current wave
If by current you mean since mid 2000s
>>
>>140693933
I'm a C programmer.
>>
>>140694184

>I program in a dead language that always was piss easy

HAHAHAHAHA case in point retard.
>>
>>140694184
it's always a STEM faggot
>>
>>140694255
>The language is simple therefore making programs in it is also simple.
>>
>>140691915
Stop lying just say you like dicks and be done with it, why write such a wall of text just to say you don't like cute girls in your anime.
>>
>>140694184
>programming
>stressful
Nice meme, I do that shit for fun. Then again I also do my own kind of work at home for fun too.
>>
>>140693935
>moe has also been adapted to mean a genre in anime
Among cancerous western fanbases who think shows about young girls with big shiny eyes are something new.
>>
>>140694348

You're right for two reasons. First, C isn't even good enough to make the programming process simple. Second, the programs aren't 'easy to make' because they weren't even made to begin with; literally nobody uses C anymore. Enjoy your meme degree you might as well have studied Latin and be writing some sick 3rd century poetry.
>>
jojo is for closeted homos, moe anime is made for hetosexual gentlemen
>>
>>140694008
True facts.
>>
>>140691915
>current wave of intended moe anime
The current wave has been going on for seventy years now.

>Having watched anime for many, many years, going on 12 years now
You don't seem to realize that a good chunk of /a/ is in their thirties, and there are even a few forty year olds kicking around who've been watching since the eighties. You're by no means a grizzled oldfag, kid.
>>
>>140694636
Also true.
>>
>>140694547
>Among cancerous western fanbases
This place. Do you know how many times a day the term 'moeshit' is posted here and is referring to a show by genre and not your precious accurate definition?
>>
>>140693935
>has also been adapted to mean a genre in anime
No, you don't get to rewrite definitions.
>>
Moe is the junkfood of anime, it taste good, you want more, and it makes you fat and lazy. It's ruining the industry, rather then thinking about which characters, people are now thinking about which moe-type they want in their anime. This is killing creative writing.
>>
>>140694184
How do you manage your memory?
>>
>>140694913
Yes I do.
Which is why I said cancerous fanbases.
>>
>>140695145
see>>140694913
I have in every post stated that I understand the correct meaning of the term.It's others that constantly use the term incorrectly and is the reason others begin to use it that way thinking that it's right, namely /a/.
Being adapted to mean something does not mean that is a new definition.
>>
>>140695257
It's a byproduct of the current demand. Not the root of the issues. If you want to say something is ruining the industry blame obsessive otakus.
>>
I'm starting to think people who don't "get" moe SoL anime are mentally deficient. How can you not understand wanting to relax and watch something cute and fun? Is it really that hard to understand? Cause it seems awfully straight forward to me. I can understand the appeal of all kinds of anime I personally have no interest in, but for some reason people like OP have some kind of mental block that makes them totally incapable of grasping how other people think or feel. Like they're all stunted as people.
>>
>>140695479
I could use the argument that terms change, particularly between languages. For example, in Japanese bitch means slut. And in English hentai means all Japanese erotica in the manga art style, but in Japanese it means pervert.
However the use of moe to describe SoL shows featuring cute young girls is so uninformed that I don't think it deserves that excuse.
>>
File: image (1).jpg (125 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image (1).jpg
125 KB, 400x400
>>140692042
>working full-time, going to school and taking care of your shit is hard
Well that's what you get for not being a NEET, faggot.
>>
>>140696306
Yeah man, not having money to spend on figs and living in mom's basement must be real rewarding.
>>
>>140695145
>No, you don't get to rewrite definitions.
You should tell that to the Nips themselves then.
>>
>>140696482
like what?
>>
>>140696359
>>140696359
>not having money to spend
>he's not a criminal who steals in order to survive
When did /a/ become so pleb?
>>
File: moe (2016_01_05 00_50_19 UTC).png (420 KB, 550x618) Image search: [Google]
moe (2016_01_05 00_50_19 UTC).png
420 KB, 550x618
>OP's face
>>
>>140696081
>However the use of moe to describe SoL shows featuring cute young girls
It's more like shows that have moe girls in them, regardless of it being a SOL or them being specifically cute and young, however that is the trend.
And use whatever argument you want, I'm literally only pointing out what others on /a/ say and you can't deny that they are calling the shows themselves moeshit.
>>140696509
The nips rewrote their entire fucking language (more like doubled it) because they are stupid.
>>
>>140696509
That the Japanese shouldn't use "moe" to refer to a genre even though they do it all the time.
>>
>>140693003
>Moe is something a character does the makes you feel attracted to them, and it makes you want to emotionally protect them.
So kinda like having a waifu
>>
>>140696607
Yes and? Why can't Japs be as retarded as anyone else?
>>
>current
You just started noticing it, but nothing about it is recent. It's been around for decades and it'll stay. Why? Because most anime are really poorly written from a literary point of view. Full stop. Not just moe shows. Might as well attract people's attention with some cute girls if you can't write for shit.
>>
>>140691915
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhOUIL9jzGo
>>
>>140696696
Because they are the ones who coined the term so they have every right to modify it. Words evolve all the time in languages anyways, get over it.
>>
>>140696784
Makes no sense lad, you think there are no Japanese people who would say exact same thing when someone comes along saying moe is a genre? Rewriting definitions goes for everyone and Japs are included.
>>
File: 1416085238872.png (445 KB, 807x700) Image search: [Google]
1416085238872.png
445 KB, 807x700
>>140691915
>really poorly written from a litereary point of view
>seemingly eventless
Good stories are not why I got into anime. Moe and to a lesser extent sakuga are why I got into anime, and while an entertaining story can be a plus, it's still ultimately just a vehicle for the former. Some of my favorite shows don't even have a plot. When I want a good story, I actually pick up a book.
>>
File: 1428462869688.jpg (144 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1428462869688.jpg
144 KB, 1920x1080
>>140691915
fuck off, newfag

sage
>>
>>140696607
I've never seen them do that once. Provide a source on that bullshit claim.
>>
>>140697177
Anime has always had sexy and cute girls. Anybody who tries to just find the really dark or philosophical shows is an idiot who wants anime to be something it isn't.
>>
>>140691915
GochiUSA is seriously bizarre, with how doll-like the girls look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T1xjuGBq80
>>
>>140698095
Search up 萌えアニメ on google. You can see a lot of Nips use that term in many message boards.
>>
>>140698456
You could say that about a lot of anime styles.
Though there is something unsettling about their eyes sometimes.
>>
>>140698456
>>140698669
Useless bunnies only good for sex appeal.
Seriously though, I'm a fan of CGDCT in general but GochiUsa is some unremarkable cookie cutter shit.
>>
>>140698938
That's a nice shit opinion you have there.
>>
File: 萌えイラストの変遷.jpg (345 KB, 935x1397) Image search: [Google]
萌えイラストの変遷.jpg
345 KB, 935x1397
>>140696681
Not really. You can obsess over a character without them invoking any sort of "maternal"/protective feelings in you.

I think jap artists just know how to manipulate and invoke such primitive feelings. "Moe" in that sense has been around since the 60s.
>>
>>140700081
>maternal
Are you suggesting that papas don't need love too?
>>
>>140701067
With moe, papas can feel like mamas too
>>
Gtfo /v/
>>
File: 1447710414350_a.jpg (84 KB, 820x762) Image search: [Google]
1447710414350_a.jpg
84 KB, 820x762
>>140691915
>>
File: five.png (508 KB, 555x555) Image search: [Google]
five.png
508 KB, 555x555
>>140701777
Witnessed!
>>
>>140701975
The madman
>>
>>140692719
NNB
>>
File: 555.jpg (54 KB, 555x555) Image search: [Google]
555.jpg
54 KB, 555x555
>>140701975
Mediocre!
>>
>>140691915
What you need is Keit-ai.
>>
>>140692613
>Jesus' birth was an anime
>>
>What is it about, moe?
are you some kind of faggot who can't figure it out on your own?
>>
>>140694548
don't you have a stackoverflow example to paste, webdev?
>>
>>140693003
It's an accurate enough visual and audible stimulation to your brain that results in the production of particular neurochemicals in a particular order that results in said product of your feelings.

TL;DR: Uguuuu senpai
>>
>>140691915

I find it sort of disgusting actually. Just feels like blatant escapism and really manufactured and inhuman to the point it stops being cute.

Not that I don't like cute girls, but I need to get my kicks from actual shoujo and kid's shows these days

Also /a/ can't differentiate between iyashikei, shows which contain archetypical moe characters in other genres, and the modern trend of light comedy/4koma shows most of the time, so most opinions tend to be pretty worthless.
>>
File: 123e1.jpg (73 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
123e1.jpg
73 KB, 1280x720
>>140691915
This is some mid-tier, North Italia level pasta, but it's still tasty, so I give it a 7/10
>>
>>140692613
Jesus, this, people were bitching about moe back when Lucky Star was airing, hell, people were bitching about 'kawaii' anime back when Sailor Moon was airing state side. I understand that most of /a/ these days weren't around to remember the Y2K scare, but surely you aren't going off of the word of one or two nostalgia fags that insists that there was a magical time where everything was aimed at their specific interests? Outside of /m/, that simply isn't true. And even then they had a very filtered view on the medium.
>>
>>140691915

what I find really hard to understand is why the western audience has so much trouble appreciating cute things in many scenarios and always try their hardest to find an excuse to regard it as disgusting or disturbing from their point of view.

Moe characters are not there to ruin a plot or haunt your sexuality, they are just cute, they dont make a story good or bad.
>>
>>140708378

what exactly makes Moe more escapist and manufactured/inhuman than any other medium?

a person is passionate about moe, makes moe content and has fans to appreciate it

how is this different than a person who is passionate about intergalactic battles, and makes a book/etc about it.

why cant a person just enjoy both Moe and intergalactic battles at the same time? what is so wrong about the feeling of a appreciating a cute girl and wanting to protect her?

a person who writes a mistery novel filled with gore and human atrocity is somehow more human than someone who writes about cute girls in a cafe learning English? (I think both are just as humane).
>>
File: 1449463539300.gif (872 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1449463539300.gif
872 KB, 300x225
>>140710184
You know the teenager that tries to hard to act grown up and gets physically embarrassed around kid shows that they secretly like? Same deal.

The anime fanbase has deeper factionalism than Eastern Europe. So it's often easy to say, watch 'manly' anime of the season xyz and come to think that anyone who watches 'moe' anime xyz or fujoshit xyz can't possibly watch anything else.

Kind of like the console wars, but console gamers outside of, maybe, handhelds are very much an out group in online discussion these days. So even that isn't as intense as the average Spring/Fall season on /a/.
>>
>>140710360

a friend in real life genuinely enters into a state of mental shock when I try to explain him that I enjoy Hunter X Hunter, Girls und panzer, Samurai champloo, Kanokon, Legend of the galactic heroes and Monmosu at the same time.
>>
>>140710144
Lucky Star was the thing that pushed mainstream into what it is now.
It also created the wave of unprecedented shitposting, which became norm nowadays.
Basically LS poisoned anime and it's been slowly dying.
>>
>>140691915
watamote is anti moe
>>
>>140710657
People highlight LS as some kind of standout but to me it just represents the trends at the time.
Moe has never not been a thing. There has always been cute girls, and LS was just a typification of it.
>>
>>140710703
No, it's still moe.
If you want anti-moe, try that anime with the 'realistic' faces that I don't know the name of.
>>
>>140710712
It's something that I feel from my personal experience.
People were bitching about how it's going to ruin everything, and how dangerous distilling anime into pure mindless pandering is.
And now years later, I can't say it didn't happen.
>>
>>140698938
Sucks to be you then, as it's the most popular series of its genre right now and all future CGDCT shows will be heavily influenced by it.
>>
>>140710657
Lucky Star poisoned anime the same way your [biological] father poisoned your mother when he impregnated her. It was a necessary step towards a new generation.

Everyone will argue this until the end of time, but I would argue that LS occasionally accomplishes the rare feat of engaging in real deconstruction. There's no beating around the bush: Konata is an otaku. She's not a popular girl with otakubait shoehorned in, she's Tomoko with better hygiene and some friends.
There's no pandering to established tropes about femininity, and as a result, there's room for the characters like the LS girls to be likable and realistically complex in a way that, at one time, was limited to Shoujo. Moe is a vehicle for that shift.
It has established its own tropes, but I'd rather have a clutz with big tits than a waify damsel clinging to the hero.
>>
>>140711502
>and all future CGDCT shows will be heavily influenced by it

I think for that to happen Gochiusa has to bring something new to the table.
If in a few years there are more shows about cute girls and coffee then we'll talk.
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.