[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Maria the Virgin Witch takes place during the Hundred Years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7
>Maria the Virgin Witch takes place during the Hundred Years War (1337–1453)
>the English are referred to as heathens
>the English reformation happened in the 16th century
>heathen was a term used to refer to non-Christians
>>
>There is actual magic, angels, succubi
>Complain about historical accuracy
>>
Bernard flipping out was hilarious.
>>
>[jacobfuckedup]
>>
>>140676066
Fantasy elements as a creative choice is one thing. Getting basic details like this wrong for no reason other than stupidity is entirely different.
>>
>>140676178
It's an alternative world.
>>
>>140676239
shut up fag
>>
>>140676299
sorry
>>
>>140675987
Are you implying it wasn't completely common to question the piety of enemies of the same fate? It's like calling an enemy you know regularly slays pussy a faggot.
>>
>>140676558
Are there actual historical writings of catholic clergy back then calling other non-excommunicated catholics "godless heathen faggots" (not just a certain ruler mind you, but an entire people)? I'd actually be interested in seeing that. I mean otherwise I'm going to have to call bullshit.
>>
>>140676693
Google Irish Christianity
>>
>>140676693
I cant name a source, but I think the Venetians were considered "barely Christian" because they pulled some dirty shit for money.
>>
File: 1427083829077.jpg (707 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1427083829077.jpg
707 KB, 1920x1080
>>140676134
Bernard going maximum euphoric turned this into AOTS
>>
Bernard was the single best character of last year.
>>
File: 1447545607774.jpg (136 KB, 800x508) Image search: [Google]
1447545607774.jpg
136 KB, 800x508
>>140676558
This.
>>
>>140675987
Heathen is the natural state of the Anglo menace
>>
>>140677367
Whoever made this forgot
>Our desolate grasses
>Their lush pastures
>>
>>140676693
>Are there actual historical writings of catholic clergy back then calling other non-excommunicated catholics "godless heathen faggots"
>non-excommunicated
A better question is how many proper Catholics got excommunicated for political reasons is what you should be asking.

Take it to /his/.
>>
>>140677671
Did you miss the top of the page?
>>
>>140677746
No. Totally different.
>>
>>140677746
It's different. He's implying that the enemy has resources we don't.
>>
>>140677854
Also "the grass is greener"
>>
>>140677854
>>140677786
That would be missing the point of the image.
If you add the resources you'd be truthful to the situation.
>>
>>140677703
>A better question is how many proper Catholics got excommunicated for political reasons
Why would I be asking this? That much is obvious.
>>
>>140677923
>That would be missing the point of the image.
Not really. It just means greed.
>>
>>140677967
There was no greed. Back then people went to war for resources because they actually needed them.

It's a different world now, everything looks so much easier when you let machines do the work.
>>
>>140677923
>>140677967
I don't think it fits as propaganda, though. Admitting that the grass is greener over the fence is not a good point to be said to the people.
>>
>>140675987
Maria the Virgin witch was shit.

Rape is fucking disgusting.
>>
>>140678042
>Back then people went to war for resources because they actually needed them.
Not nations the size of england and france, unless you mean for trade, which wasn't the case for them. Need of fertile land / resources is pretty much the second node of old war propoganda, right after the demonization stuff.
>>
>>140678111
>Not nations the size of england and france,

>pre science society could actually maintain fertile land fertile
It's not what happened in history.
They had no crops to rotate.
They didn't have fertilizer.
They had no help tilling the fields, etc.

At some point it gets easier to just go over the pond to kill a faggot and steal his cows and sheep instead of killing yourself working soil that doesn't produce shit.
>>
Fucking /pol/, go back to your containment board.
>>
>>140678206
>pre science society could actually maintain fertile land fertile
Yeah actually
Most of the time they just let infertile farmtowns die out and made new ones in places that hadn't seen a farm yet
>They didn't have fertilizer.
>They had no help tilling the fields, etc.
Do you know the first thing about historic farming methods? The answer is no
>>
>>140675987
Actually during the HYW there were two popes. One in Avignon (the original pope who got kicked out of Rome) and one in Rome. The Pope played a big role in the peace negociations, so the english crown started to accuse the pope of Avignon of being biased toward the french since he lived in the kingdom of France.
The english decided to go for the new pope of Rome, cementing the catholic split. That split ended only around the end of the war.

Each kingdom having it's own Pope did encourage religious propaganda, reffering to either sides as heatens and using terms like "crusade". Maria takes place near the end of the war when the split should have ended, but it's not impossible to think that that propaganda would still be used by some priests/monks.

So yeah, that happened.
>>
I watched this for Ezekiel
>>
>>140678088
she only got fingered so it wasnt rape
>>
>>140678291
I know much more than you obviously if you think they could just pack their shit and move. For one they weren't' even allowed to move around freely, this is still the age of the plebeian, when you're the property of your lord.

And the other thing is, it's not like moving would help much, if there's a place that can be easily worked, there's a good chance it was being worked. Cutting down forests and breaking down boulders takes time those people didn't have.

The Hundred years war is also when the Peasant revolt happened and also the Black Death.
It was not an easy time to be alive.
>>
>>140678493
>I know much more than you obviously if you think they could just pack their shit and move.
Are you ESL? I said infertile communities would "die out", not "move".
>if there's a place that can be easily worked, there's a good chance it was being worked
Nope.
>The Hundred years war is also when the Peasant revolt happened and also the Black Death.
>It was not an easy time to be alive.
Those would only reduce the population and increase the relative yield of infertile land.
>>
>>140678348
Yeah, same.
>>
>>140678206
>They had no crops to rotate.
AMERICAN EDUCATION, EVERYBODY
>>
>>140678595
>Those would only reduce the population and increase the relative yield of infertile land.

Again you're thinking like a pampered millennial shit with historical revisionism hardcoded from your birth.
Agricultural yield in the 14th century was directly correlated with the people working the land.

No people to work the land no crops to eat.

>>140678696
I'm European. That's exactly why I know for a fact they had jack shit in the way or crops they could rotate. Four season crops rotation started only after the exploration of the Americas.
>>
>>140678493
>>140678783
Actually they could pack their shit and move. Not everyone was the property of their lord, serfs were only a fraction of the population, and for most serfs it was just a temporary status.

Cutting down forests in orded to make more farmland was also a common practice.

England was extremely rich at that time as well, mainly thanks to it's sheep flocks allowing them to sell lots of wool to scandinavian countries.
Sure the prospect of getting new lands and tax money probably motivated England A LOT, a lot more than the prospect getting more crops at least.

Heck, if England had troubles with crops, it wouldn't have been able to mount SEVERAL campaigns in France. Especially since their main fighting force was made of peasants.
England had more problems with money (the war gradually became a huge drain for it's economy, so great it actually tanked a lot of wool traders the Crown was borrowing money from) than food.

Also, Europeans did rotate their crops. It wasn't four season rotation, but rotating between three types of crops started being done quite early actually.
>>
It was a really good show that flew under /a/'s radar when it aired.
Definitely worth a watch for the euphoric priest alone.
>>
>>140678783
>Again you're thinking like a pampered millennial shit with historical revisionism hardcoded from your birth.
Pretty sure that's your considering you think that three-year-cycle once-fallow rotation drives land infertile, or that they didn't use "fertilizer", or had problems tilling large amounts of land. Hint: we have used working animals since the rise of agriculture itself.
>Agricultural yield in the 14th century was directly correlated with the people working the land.
That may seem intuitive, but no, it was not a direct correlation. Higher numbers of field workers resulted in diminishing returns. The biggest correlation was with working animals.
>>
>>140678983
>The biggest correlation was with working animals.
The Black Death nigger. I already told you not to forget about it.
The animals were dying. And the people were afraid to use them and to eat them.

Historical revisionism sure is scary.

>>140678967
>Also, Europeans did rotate their crops. It wasn't four season rotation, but rotating between three types of crops started being done quite early actually.

Three season crops rotation is better than nothing. But it's nowhere near as good as four season rotation. Three season rotation has a lengthy period of not working the land.
Guess what happens when you run out of food and your animals are dead?
>>
>>140679370
Cattle and horses are among the least susceptible of animals to the bubonic plague, anon.
>>
>>140679458
Good thing the Black Plague includes the cases of anthrax then dun it?
>>
>>140679506
Cool! You have access to wikipedia, where you can learn about all this historical revisionism like the antrax theory of the black death!
>>
>>140679370
>Sometimes famine happened.
No shit Sherlock. But guess what ? European peasants were still well-fed. Their only problem was that they didn't get a lot of meat.
They didn't made a lot of reserves, but they had enough to last one season.

There were cases of famines here and there, but as usual the actual problem had more to do with food distribution than food production wich was not an issue during medieval times in Europe.

And I've never heard of cases of anthrax during the black plague. And reports about the plague almost never talks about contaminated animals, so it's highly unlikely that it also decimated cattle (you can bet everyone would have talked about it if it did). Take your shitty theory somewhere else please.
>>
>>140675987
There's the fact that around the time, a good chunk of England's ranks were pardoned criminals recruited to fill in, mostly as longbowmen. And around the time of the Battle of Agincourt, they pillaged villages, and the French called their fight against them as a crusade. The last bits are from forgotten sources, but this should work.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=rM06VlGFlPkC&pg=PA67&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false
>>
File: 1360296261288.jpg (29 KB, 279x204) Image search: [Google]
1360296261288.jpg
29 KB, 279x204
>>140675987
What if their "heathen" was like out "faggot"?

>fucking mikotoheathens
>>
>>140678348
I watched this for Michael.

Didn't take any shit from anybody.
>>
File: 1454054743952.jpg (67 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1454054743952.jpg
67 KB, 1280x720
Character of the year
>>
>>140683218
Someone post a webm.
>>
File: maxresdefault2.webm (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault2.webm
1 MB, 640x360
>>140683452
>>
>>140683549
thanks
>>
>>140683868
no problem senpai
>>
I want to live a comfy, solitary life with Edwina because she's a cute.
>>
File: 1448087628990.gif (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1448087628990.gif
3 MB, 480x270
>>140683452
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.