[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this show any good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: Neon Genesis Evangelion -2.jpg (194 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Neon Genesis Evangelion -2.jpg
194 KB, 1024x768
Is this show any good?
>>
>>140601786
no
>>
>>140601786
Show is so shit people have literally spent decades discussing how shit it is.
>>
>>140601830
/thread
>>
>>140601786
no, but you might as well watch and decide for yourself
>>
it's alright, I guess
just don't watch the dub
>>
the robot fighting angel parts are cool. trying to follow the convoluted story can be frustrating...
just watch it, it has its moments.
>>
>>140601894
Also /thread.
>>
No, it's awful. Get out.
>>
>Recommendation threads
>>
I realize this isn't what I'm expected to say here and that I'm interrupting the sarcasm train but Evangelion actually really surprised. Mecha is my least favorite genre by far and I usually dislike most of the series with that element but I watched Eva two or three years ago for the first time because I felt like as a classic it deserved to be watched.

Well much to my surprise, I actually found it to be really interesting and in retrospect I think what sets it apart from other mecha's is the characters. Most modern mecha seems to generally rely on a certain group of character tropes which, funnily enough, was inspired by Eva but seeing the originals and what made them so good was refreshing somehow.

TL;DR: I went into Eva expecting not to like it but I ended up actually really enjoying it and I now understand what made it so popular and such a mainstay.
>>
Some aspects of the show are good, such as the animation. But I would argue that the plot is trash. The story starts off good but fails in the last quarter.
>>
Yeah, it's pretty good.
>>
>>140601786
Yes.
>>
>>140601786
Eva is a show with middling plot but an utterly unique aesthetic for the sake of setting a context for 10/10 character interaction and development and being the lead-up, no matter how flawed the series itself is, to a movie that is easily the crown jewel of Japanese animation. Just fucking watch it, faggot.
>>
>>140601786
First 15 episodes are shit then it gets pretty great
>>
>>140602899
Was gonna make a snarky comment, but this guy fucking nailed it better than I could. Have a (You) for spitting truth.
>>
>>140601786
This anime is a masterpiece, prove me wrong, last 2 chapters are AWESOME, when I saw it, I couldn't sleep, I felt completely identified with Shinji, also music in this anime is 10/10.

>In other words...I love you
>>
>>140608205
The full anime is a masterpiece, I mean, 26 chapters + The end of evangelion
>>
>>140602129
Watched it recently and can confirm it's the other way around.
>>
First its pretty cliche mecha anime, then it turns into a depressing tale about the dangers of budget miscalculation.
EoE is a really good movie though.
>>
File: 1246903940587.jpg (15 KB, 450x337) Image search: [Google]
1246903940587.jpg
15 KB, 450x337
>>140601786
Which other Fall '95 show continues to have multiple threads alive of /a/?
>>
>>140601786
At least one aspect of the show is yet unmatched and that is the love for detail. Never seen a show with that much re-watch value.

You can re-watch it 20 times and still find new subtile stuff like parallels, foreshadowing etc.
>>
File: tumblr_mgp4goJkL91r4xm08o1_500.gif (46 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mgp4goJkL91r4xm08o1_500.gif
46 KB, 500x375
>>140601786
the giant robots and the alien invasion are a means to make the characters suffer. the religious stuff is shallow window dressing. the meat of the show is the character driven sociological critique that the aforementioned character suffering forces into the spotlight.

it's a show about what makes humans tick, with lots of colorful toys to lure in an audience the director felt lacks self awareness as human beings.
>>
>>140612493
>that moment of PTSD when Misato is reaching for Shinji's face the same way Sammy did during the previous fight
>>
Trash that tries too hard to be DEEP.
>>
>>140612611
> That moment at the end of EoE when Asuka touches Shinjis cheek, exactly like his mother did in the sea of LCL minutes before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4UQntM4Zjw&start=1209
>>
>>140613654
Fuck my newfaggotry shows. Timestamp didn't work like it should for embedded vids. I mean the eddited scene at 20:08
>>
>>140613676
what you want is &t=(time in seconds) at the end of the URL.

there is also a (time in minus and seconds) but I forget how its formatted
>>
File: 1446877267794.png (1 MB, 1000x950) Image search: [Google]
1446877267794.png
1 MB, 1000x950
>Dr. Akagi, I'm WILLE..
>>
>>140614604
>>140614639
at first I read that as WILL.E as in the coyote
>>
>>140601786

The plot can be a bit confusing and deep so I'll break it down.

A boy falls in love with a girl.
Unable to confess, he is gifted with by a deus ex machina with a robot with his mum's soul in it. Never minding the strange smell, he immediately fights for her, and is overjoyed to find out that she has a crush on him as well.
But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day’s confessions to the girl, she only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that the girl he called is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn’t exist in this universe at all. She is the girl’s alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the MC’s own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of her crush.
Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of LOVE.

Quantum Rei confirmed.
>>
File: tumblr_mvpw6uHy2V1snbf7ro1_400.gif (176 KB, 400x522) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mvpw6uHy2V1snbf7ro1_400.gif
176 KB, 400x522
>>140614866
>>
>>140601786
Depends on who's watching it.
It's worth watching just to form an opinion.
>>
>>140611887
Same here. Constantly told how great it is. Emotionally numbing, convoluted ridiculousness with surprisingly underwhelming characters which are mostly used to parade various mental issues and assorted problems at the viewer.

The symbolism and MotW are employed excellently though and I'll happily vouch for them over the other overpraised aspects of the show, like the writing.
>>
>>140601786

Its alright
>>
>>140601786
I'd say it is. I watched it years ago without knowing anything about it other than it being about teenagers piloting giant robots. Didn't expect much, but was very surprised that almost nothing in the show was as I've expected it. Not the visual style and motifs, not the characters, not the robots and neither the story.

I think it's very good, just watch it without reading volumes about it on the internet first, it deserves a watch with as little Seinfeld effect and expectations generated by internet discussions (4chan included) as possible. Not much else to say other than that.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.