[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
End Of Evangelion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: end-of-evangelion.jpg (105 KB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
end-of-evangelion.jpg
105 KB, 960x600
As an anime film it's really good. But how good is it compared to REAL cinema?
>>
Still pretty damn good.
>>
It's actually a shit movie only worth watching for the visuals. Like Avatar.
>>
>>140559866
>But how good is it compared to REAL cinema?
Who cares honestly.
Who cares comparing anime to any other culture that doesn't interest anyone there.
>>
>>140560202
Avatar is only "good" when you have surround sound.
>>
>>140559866
Much better than "USA! USA! USA!" and Capeshit movies for sure.
>>
>>140559866
It's shit, and I love the film.
>>
>>140559866

Better than any movie out there.
>>
>>140559866
I feel like you don't know what the word "real" means.
Also, western shit is all overrated bullshit that overypes worthless narratives because the presentation and execution were interesting or novel (see The Big Lebowski, Pulp Fiction, Citizen Kane, Starwars, Birdman) Sure, execution's important, but it forgets that it's a medium for stories and not just a moving painting or a testament to the creator's skill a lot of the time.
>>
>>140560263
Art transcends culture you philistine. If art is good, its good everywhere.
>>
>>140560573

If you really love it you wouldn't say that.
>>
>>140560645
>worthless narrative because the presentation and execution were interesting or novel
Doesn't that describe Eva pretty well?
In any case story is overrated.
>>
>>140560711
>If art is good, its good everywhere.
Not really since appreciation of art often requires familiarity with the medium used by the artist.
>>
>>140560732
it's called unbiased opinion
>>
>>140560851
Prove it's unbiased.
>>
>>140560851
it's called pandering to /a/
>>
>>140560770
>Story is overrated
You mean because execution is what makes you feel or something? Because I can see that, but the Western cinematographic Classics' execution most isn't for the sake of emotional evocation, but to show off how creative or clever the creators were. The camera thing in Birdman, fo example, while interesting, didn't change the fact that it would've seemed like dry and edgy-as-fuck horseshit on paper, or that any decent film could be equally interesting if it had the same gimmick.
Also, haven't watched any of Evangellion because it was spoiled out the ass for me since I was really young by fucking errybody, so I wouldn't know.
>>
>>140560711
Not true. Art is highly contextual. Culturally satiric works once thought to be tmeless stop resonating, and different cultures/times have different artistic aspirations. We live in a time of plentiful historians, so to speak, but if many "classic" works were published today they'd be received a absolute hogwash. Which is to say, they're only relatively or contextually exceptional.
>>
>>140560851

It's called being a faggog
>>
>>140560732
I just did.
>>
File: topoling down topoling down.jpg (265 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
topoling down topoling down.jpg
265 KB, 1920x1080
>>140560202
Avatar visuals get worse with each year due to CGI, and were shit to begin with. A better comparison would be a Jodorowsky film.
>>
>>140559866
I think it's great. It's an odd one to compare to cinema because it's a weird high brow/low brow mix and it only works within the context of the series, but in spite of everything I think it's still a unique, visceral film
>>
>>140560851
>unbiased opinion
Oxymoron
>>
The fact that so many books still name Neon Genesis Evangelion as “the greatest or most significant or most influential” series ever only tells you how far anime still is from becoming a serious art. Anime critics are still blinded by commercial success. Eva sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore it must have been the greatest. Film grow up watching a lot of films of the past, cartoon critics grow up watching a lot of cartoons of the past. Anime critics are often totally ignorant of the series of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that Anno did anything worthy of being saved.
>>
>>140559866
it's pure kino
>>
>>140562503
>>>>>mu
>>
File: 1461360159309.png (426 KB, 635x640) Image search: [Google]
1461360159309.png
426 KB, 635x640
>>140562503
>>
>>140562503
Bullshit.
People in the US say the same shit about everything that was popular thirty or more years ago.

Hell, I'd say the opposite's true, since the US eats up pretentious shit and only pretentious shit, whereas pretentious anime that aren't actually deep are usually regarded as shit by the in-crowd. If The Big Lebowski was an anime, people'd shit on it regularly, whereas if almost any Pretentious-as-fuck anime was a Western movie with identical characterization and execution (perhaps toned down for 3D sensibilities), ithe finished project'd probably win an oscar. Fun fact: The panel at the oscars don't watch all the nominees before voting, and it is not uncommon for them to vote for shit they haven't seen.
>>
>>140563297
>>140563213
You know it's a copy pasta, right?
>>
>>140562503
hilarious meme friend
>>
>>140563372
Well shit.
The pasta's opinion's close enough to the OP's for it to be a valid contribution to the thread regardless though, so meh.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.