[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Haibane Renmei
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8
File: Rakka Falling with Bird ep1.png (99 KB, 687x391) Image search: [Google]
Rakka Falling with Bird ep1.png
99 KB, 687x391
Masterpiece or half baked pretension?
>>
Sora no Woto is Haibane Renmei done right.
>>
>>140526781
SnW is too melodramatic.
>>
>>140526781
Both are good. Haibane should have focused less on Reki and.
>>
>>140526275
very boring cartoon that ended right as it was starting to get interesting
>>
>>140526839
>should have focused less on best girl

Nah
>>
It's easily the best anime with the SoL tag attached to it.
>>
>>140527555
That's not Non Non Biyori.
>>
It's in the /a/ hall of anime that gets discussed rarely because there's nothing to shitpost about

Which means it's a masterpiece
>>
>>140527653
Fuck off
>>
>>140527703
>you
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 704x528) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 704x528
>>140527766
I don't mind NNB but it's not nearly as great as you think it is
>>
>>140527653
NNB is completely empty of any meaningful substance competed to Haibne. NNB is pure escapism.
>>
File: 1388902105568.png (161 KB, 265x281) Image search: [Google]
1388902105568.png
161 KB, 265x281
>>140527919
>meaningful substance
>>
File: sakura.png (426 KB, 635x640) Image search: [Google]
sakura.png
426 KB, 635x640
>>140527695
>>
Masterpiece. One of the strongest atmospheres in any piece of media I've read/played/watched.

>>140527653
I enjoyed NNB, but why are NNBfags so delusional?
>>
Boring as fuck, can't bring myself to watch the last three episodes
>>
File: image.png (97 KB, 600x272) Image search: [Google]
image.png
97 KB, 600x272
>>140528401
>>
File: Dk8uy.jpg (46 KB, 650x364) Image search: [Google]
Dk8uy.jpg
46 KB, 650x364
I felt the series left too much unanswered and gave unsatisfying answers to the questions it bothered to answer. Having Reki saved through the power of Rokka's friendship powers seemed silly. Kuu had far too little development to warrant the overly dramatic departure. The tone also unevenly shifted from pleasant slice of life to incredible edge on a dime. Actually enjoyed the show, but it has some flaws
>>
>>140528593

>I felt the series left too much unanswered and gave unsatisfying answers to the questions it bothered to answer.
That's what made it great. Use your imagination.

>Having Reki saved through the power of Rokka's friendship powers seemed silly. Kuu had far too little development to warrant the overly dramatic departure.
Fair

>The tone also unevenly shifted from pleasant slice of life to incredible edge on a dime.
The tone was never pure pleasant SoL, it always maintained an unnerving undertone, again that's what made it great.
>>
>>140528593
Your wrong in every statement you made.

> I felt the series left too much unanswered and gave unsatisfying answers to the questions it bothered to answer.

The series addresses everything of importance but it never spoon-feeds thing with monologues.

>Having Reki saved through the power of Rokka's friendship powers seemed silly.

Reki wasn't saved by friendship but by self-acknowledgement, with rakka's help of course.

>Kuu had far too little development to warrant the overly dramatic departure.

A close family lost a member which had a strong effect on everyone, especially Rakka which makes so much sense if you understood her character and her progression.

>The tone also unevenly shifted from pleasant slice of life to incredible edge on a dime.

Nope the tonal shift was not nearly as bad as you suggest, it was perfectly fine and the atmosphere was a bit ominous throughout.

>it has some flaws

This is one of the those rare shows where flaws are close to entirely absent. You have to differentiate your personal bias towards something form actual mistake a show makes
>>
>>140526275
neither
>>
>>140526275
What was Haibane Renmei pretending to be?
>>
>>140528593
>>Having Reki saved through the power of Rokka's friendship powers seemed silly. Kuu had far too little development to warrant the overly dramatic departure.
>>140528937
>Fair

You shouldn't accept his nonsense. Reki flaw/sin/trial was that she was to proud. She was hurt in the past life so she stopped relying on anyone, mainly out of pride. Her pride leads her to exhibit other flaws like envy, anger and basically most of other girls' flaws/mental issues. That why her wings are black. The town is a place where good people rectify their flawed personalises before they can move on (wherever that might be). But since reki and rakka's condition worsens while they are in this now world they become sin bound(black wings).

Now that that's clear. We can move on to the last episode. Rakka friendship is not what saves reki, it's reki realising what her problem was and deciding to work towards fixing it. Rakka offer her HELP and says she can rely on her. So reki decides to give up on her fullish pride and accept rakka's help thus overcoming her trial/sin/flaw.
>>
>>140530408
/a/nons don't know what pretentiousness is. It's just an easy and smart sounding word to dismiss a show they can't find legitimate reasons for hating on.
>>
>>140530408
it was a while since i finished Haibane Renmei but i seem to recall that it had some message about life and death that it failed to deliver. so in that perspective it was pretentious.

but i guess there's a thin red line between pretentious and nonsensical and im not sure which one fits better in this case. i mean, KLK wasn't pretentious, was it? was evangelion pretentious?
>>
I thought it was alright but the best thing about it was the ED
>>
I thought the ultimate conclusion that the town was basically Purgatory felt a little hollow, especially given how little sense that makes. Only Reki and Rakka had any "sin" they needed to rectify, so what purpose does the town serve for the charcoal feathers anyway? Also, if the walls are meant to protect and keep in the Haibane, why is the town populated by humans? Why can't they leave? Why can the Toga (whatever they are) depart as they choose? If one crow was a departed loved one from the world before, is that true of the rest of them? No, I don't think the series needed to "spoon feed" us these answers, but why leave such potentially interesting subjects untouched?
>>
>>140530722
Most people in general misuse the word.

>>140531374
I would disagree that it failed to deliver a "message", but you haven't seen it in a long time so I suppose it's futile to talk about it.
>>
>>140526275
people who talk about anime do not understand what pretension is so I guess the former
>>
>>140532725
The thing is it stops being interesting if the show actually explains clearly to you what everything actually is. That's just how the human brain works.You think it's interesting partly because it's a mystery. If it's explained you'll just say "oh, that's it?" even if you agree with it.

The Toga are probably angels.
>>
Wonderful music and atmosphere. Loved Reki and Rakka's interactions and growth.

I do wish they had explored the other haibane more.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.