[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you watch anime/read manga if you had to pay for it? Not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 9
File: hqdefault.jpg (42 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
42 KB, 480x360
Would you watch anime/read manga if you had to pay for it?
Not really getting into how much youd had to pay, but lets say its a fair amount like 50$ per 12ep anime and $6 for a manga volume.

No Im not a marketer Im just having doubts myself, do you really like something if you wont spend your hard earned cash into it?
>>
I hate paying for things.
>>
>>140508052
maybe.
hard to choose between animu and plamos
>>
>>140508052
If I had a job, then the answer would be yes.
>>
nope, switch to other hobby easily
>>
obviously not when NEET, but now I would if I had to.
I only watch max 4 series per season, 200$ over 3 months is not a big expense.
>>
I pay for a Crunchy subscription. The subs are perfectly acceptable when the only other option is god awful memesubs a day after the broadcast.
>>
>>140508052
With the volume a lot of us consume, the prices would be cheaper.
And there's generally a huge discount for older content. A large percentage of the retail price for brand new media is designed to take advantage of collectors and fans who will pay to have something immediately.
>>
>not paying for your hobbies
Get out of here you filthy NEETs
>>
>>140508493
>streaming
>>
No. Almost every show is not worth $50.
>>
>>140508767
Im sure most of /a/ has never spent a cent on /a/ related stuff
>>
>>140508052
Heh, no.
Money goes for merchandise, not for episodes.
>>
I buy the occasional manga series but fuck paying for anime. I just watch way too much too ever afford it. If I really like the show I buy merch.
>>
>>140508493
>giving Shinji a single cent
Please educate yourself, newbie. The concept is good, but Crunchyroll is fucking scum.
>>
>>140512213
Have you missed the neverending buyfag threads or regular collection threads?
>>
>>140512213
I spent several thousand € on manga over the last 15 years, but only twenty on one anime VHS (Princess Mononoke) and one used DVD (some obscure OVA).
>>
>>140512553
Those threads have around 40 unique IPs
/a/ is bigger than you think
>>
>>140512503
How about you stop listening to /a/ bullshit?
>>
Nope. I'd do other things.
I'd watch maybe a few shows at most. But I wouldn't be able to enjoy them because I had spent money on them.
>>
Only manga.

Anime is fucking garbage and ruins source material usually and does not deserve a single cent, would rather spend money on vidya.
>>
The only things I'd pay for are LNs and some certain japanese novels.
>>
>>140513367
>Paying for babby tier books

Well atleast you aren't as bad as machine translations eaters.
>>
>>140508052
maybe if i could have my money back in some way, i dont watch half the shit i pick up
>>
>>140508052
>but lets say its a fair amount like 50$ per 12ep anime
That's ridiculous. The Japs get to watch it for free if it airs on TV.

I prefer manga but I wouldn't spend money on it because I don't want to read physical manga.
>>
>>140512823
Do you even know what a cunt Shinji is, or know anything about Crunchy before they started making deals with the japs?
>>
I purchase some manga since there a lot of good translations from nip to French or even German.
That also takes into account that I do hate reading manga on a screen.

Sadly English publishers really only do shonen and seinen and thus it is comprehensible that not many people buy manga if they can only speak that language.

Fuck buying anime.
>>
Buying anime, no. Buying manga, yes.
>>
Im surprised by these replies because buying localized manga is way worse than buying anime because if the translation is shit you are stuck with it.
While with anime you still have the Jap voices
>>
>>140514383
Explain it to me. That shouldn't be hard if you are so passionate about it
>>
>>140508052
I'm a NEET so no. I didn't buy any anime or manga for the last few years because I don't have any income.
>>
>>140514806
>if the translation is shit you are stuck with it.
It almost never is. Manga doesn't have the problem of anime that it needs to sync stuff.
Stumbling upon an official translation worse than a fan translation is a pretty rare event.
>>
>>140516031
>It almost never is
How would you know unless you know Japanese?
>>
>>140508052
Not before watching the anime. Even nips don't do that. Manga, sure.

>>140513299
>Anime is fucking garbage and ruins source material usually and does not deserve a single cent, would rather spend money on vidya.
But the best anime aren't adaptations, but original works.
>>
>>140516070
Because it's done by people who studied and know both Japanese and their own language and spend 50 hours a week translating stuff compared with google translate using high school students
>>
>>140508052
> lets say its a fair amount like 50$ per 12ep anime and $6 for a manga volume
I wouldn't really be able to afford that, at least not while maintaining the amount I consume. Yesterday I'd have spent three quarters of my daily income on anime/manga, and that's not viable.
>>
>>140514806
I'm assuming he means if I had to pay for what I'm already getting, not looking at the current market. Otherwise I'd be limited to what's being legally translated, and that's a fucking joke for manga.
>>
>>140514806
>buying localized work
I'd never do that.

>>140516475
Pffffft, hahahahahahahaha. Oh wait, you actually believe that? That's sad.
>>
>>140513556
What?
>>
>>140508052
>Would you watch anime/read manga if you had to pay for it?
No. 50$ is too much.
>>
>$6 per volume
Hell yes, considering I already buy plenty of manga at $10 or more, localized or imported.
>>
>>140517424
But I assume that's a fraction of your total intake.
>>
I wouldn't since I'd have no way of knowing if something is going to be worth the while before buying it.
>>
>>140508052

I have a few dvd boxes because I'm an old schooler, if it's good I buy it and put it on my shelf. I like having them. If an anime has no re-see value, I guess not.
>>
>>140508052
Maybe, I'm sure as fuck I'd be forced to have better taste if I was forced to buy manga or anime though.
>>
>>140508052
>>140517643
and of course I buy manga. Reading on screen is just wrong, I want my books to bring with me, it has a certain feel to it.

But maybe I'm just too old, I used to read mostly french comics when I grew up and there was no internet.
>>
>>140508052
Yeah, but I would only buy it physically, actual manga volumes and actual DVD's. "Never pay for something online unless it's something you can touch" is a principle that never lets me down.
>>
>>140508052

I only pay for manga that's only because I find cheap deals and paying the full retail price is what suckers do, lately I've bought both Onwards Towards Our Noble Deaths and Dream Fossil for £16 when they would've cost me £30 for both had I got them via the actual Amazon site or at my LCS.
>>
>>140508052
Not really no, outside of Toonami I got into anime through file sharing like limewire and bittorrent.

If we lived in some hypothetical reality where you needed to pony up $50 for 12eps at the very least I'd probably do something else, like go to a library and read a book nigger. Also $50 for 12 eps or $6 for manga is certainly a fair price to publishers, studios, and mangaka(anime BD are way more expensive than that for only 2-3 eps) but for your average consumer that's pretty steep (manga is sorta reasonable, but I burn through manga volumes so quickly I wouldn't got for it), and not worth the cost. Even on a hobbyist level, someone really into it, that's a pretty expensive habit for something that is neither disposable nor easy to re-use, unlike something like music, so the value of your money is pretty strained.

Of course I'm also a cheap bastard who steals pens so I might be pretty biased
>>
>>140517754
>maybe I'm just too old
you're not. books are objectively better to on screen reading in nearly every way. As you said, "it has a feel", or haptic, you experience it with more senses.
The only thing where on screen beats book is that you can ctrl + f for words, which is irrelevant for comic reading.
>>
>>140518769
>anime BD are way more expensive than that for only 2-3 eps
Yeah, but you don't have to buy the BDs to watch the anime.
>>
>>140518769
>$6 for manga is certainly a fair price

I hope you mean per volume and not per chapter
>>
>>140519464
Per panel obviously
>>
>>140519182
Nah, e-ink is superior in every way aside from a pretty looking physical collection.
Strictly talking about books, at least.
>>
Can I safely buy Blu-rays, for animation in particular? I don't follow the scene and I know fuck all, how long until they are replaced by something newer?
>>
>>140519919
Read up on the bluray of a show you want to watch, some of the earlier blurays for show in like 2009/2010 are really shitty DVD upscales
>>
>>140519969
How about current animated shows and movies? Do Blu-Rays fully satisfy the animation needs? Not sure if it makes sense
>>
>>140519919
>how long until they are replaced by something newer?
Likely not any time soon, and possibly not ever. 4k anime is still a long way away, if ever, because the gains you get from having a 4k TV are just not significant like SD and HD were, especially for something as low detail as digital anime. Diminishing returns is a major issue now.

4k TVs, in general, are the TV industry's way of trying to stay afloat, because everyone already has HD tvs, and they're trying to sell something new that no one needs. You see a similar issue in current gen game consoles that are only marginally superior to last-gen consoles made 8 years ago.

On top of that, digital animation can only be upscaled, not rematered (generally speaking, it's more complicated than that), so if you buy a Blu-Ray of an anime made today, chances are good there will never be a superior version of what you've bought outside of some special edition re-release.
>>
>>140519182
You both are old
I read manga in my computer and it feels no different that doing it with the real thing
>>
>murricans have Handa-kun and Nozaki-kun
>we don't
Fuck you guys.
>>
I probably won't mind if I have to pay for really good stuff.

But if I accidentally bought something that is shit, I'd probably slowly lose interest in this hobby.
>>
>>140520734
Import.
>>
>>140514809
TOLD
>>
>>140508052
You know, it wasn't that long ago when the only way to reliably access anime/manga was to buy it for $30 per 3-4 episode DVD and $10-ish per manga volume.
>>
>>140522211
And rentals
>>
File: dark horse.jpg (726 KB, 2672x2080) Image search: [Google]
dark horse.jpg
726 KB, 2672x2080
>>140516475
This was one of the first things to come to mind.
>>
File: la-1.png (621 KB, 580x701) Image search: [Google]
la-1.png
621 KB, 580x701
>>140508052

Obligatory
>>
>>140522653
>that bottom left panel
wew
>>
>>140522691
>>
>$50 for 12 episodes

Who the fuck would pay for that? I'd just wait until some retard buys it and then pirate it.
>>
>>140522653
>literally Kami éditions
Thankfully they went under
leaving ARIA unfinished and butchered
>>
>>140522733
それはだめっ!! is even better.
>>
>>140520734
>wanting to buy garbage shows
Nozaki-kun is barely decent on a one-time watch, why would you want that crap on your shelves?
>>
>>140522843
>watch
I never said I wanted to buy the BDs, Anon, why did you immediately assume I was talking about the show? The manga's pretty good.
>>
>>140508052

abslutely no.

i do occasionally buy used manga of shows i really like but i wouldn't ever pay to watch anime.
>>
>>140522897
Okay, pardon me then. Didn't read the manga, but in the anime the schtick of playing out shōjo tropes with inverted genders wore off very quickly. Plus the festival episode was a slap in the face.

Seo was the only saving grace.
>>
>>140523012
Learn to press shift, you nigger,
>>
>$100 for a two cour show

Hahhahahahahahahahhahahahah

No. I'd use a library, an anime club, fucking anything. Very few series would I actually pay for. Maybe my top 10. I don't even pay money for books, I sure as hell won't for some shitty chinese cartoons I just want to talk with /a/ about.
>>
>>140508052
If people really enjoy an anime, they'll spend money on the series or on related goods such as figures or CDs. Creating a barrier of entry, especially one as expensive as 50 bucks, is just going to limit the show's audience and ensure no one bothers spending more money on it.
>>
>>140523063
>he watches abysmal seasonal tripe just to talk about it on /a/
You're pathetic.
>>
>>140523133
Yes, thanks to retards like you.
>>
>>140522819
>if you had to pay for it
>I'd just pirate it
Are hypotheticals too difficult for you?
>>
>>140523314

this confounds me. why are you so buttblasted about this?
>>
>>140523063
See >>140523384
>>
>>140508052
I would certainly watch and read a hell of a lot less than I do now. But even before I discovered readers and torrenting an the like I used to read and watch stuff so I'd still watch some stuff. I'd just end up using a library to check what series are good before buying them like I do now with torrenting.

As for your last point I'm pretty sure most people who do like their shows a decent amount buy the stuff for it, be it merchandise or the show/books proper. I just dont do that for all the tripe I see and only stuff I rather liked.
>>
Also take into account that /a/ would still exist

Would you trust /a/´s opinion on anime if you had to buy to watch them?
>>
>>140523540
>Trusting /a/'s opinion
>Ever
>>
>>140523272

I watch like two shows per season, faget. Shit like A/Z or Guilty Crap are what I refer to.
>>
>>140523540
>trust /a/´s opinion

If /a/ rec'd me 100 shows, 3 of 'em would be worth watching.
>>
I already have CR, Netflix, and hulu plus w/o commercials. What more do you want from me.
>>
>>140524032
I want you to leave /a/, streamfag.
>>
>>140523540
While hypothetical, I think this is a good point because it would fundamentally change /a/, not to mention completely butcher and cut off a lot of posters.
>>140523888
Most of those recommendations would have been done with ill-intent.
>>
I buy localized manga sometimes, because non-localized doesnt come with subtitles and I like having a book shelf I can actually read and not have to stare at a screen.

Ive bought a few DVDs years ago before having internet, and a few collections for series Ive liked allot but those are imports and I just wanted them on my shelf.

Dont have the money to pay that sort of cash for anything much less anime now. And streaming quality bothers me (mostly watch anime for the animation and direction) so Id never be able to use one of those services.
>>
I like to buy manga but only those that interest me, I put them with my favorite books so I can have a good variety to read.
>>
>>140512823
>/a/
Even MAL agrees and they are fucking casual as fuck.
>>
I have around 10 figures, and try to buy anime and manga when I can, mostly manga though.
>>
>>140524147
Why would I DL something when its available to watch online an hour after it airs in Japan and also has been translated by professional translators?
>>
Maybe it's the jew blood but I really reluctant to spend money, even on cheap clothes. I'm sitting on 2.5k usd cash which I've been saving since my first allowance. If anime wasn't free I would drop the hobby.
>>
>>140524779
But streaming is downloading, except you're not permanently saving.
>professional translators
Except fansubs groups still fix those "professional" translations, and for free too.
>>
>>140508052
Buying manga is fine, but buying anime is stupid unless it was a BD release.
>>
>>140525058
Same here. I have literally never withdrawn money from my savings account in my life.
>>
>>140525071
The points you brought up aren't wrong. To me probably 99% of anime isn't worth permanently saving. I just watch a series once and never go back to it again. I've probably just gotten too old and burnt out on alot of it.
>>
I would probably pay for Crunchyroll if it had a decent catalogue. The only thing I actually spend money on is Manga since I don't like reading off a screen and I think it would be too much effort downloading it and then transferring it to my tablet.
>>
>>140508052
I'd buy a very few select manga series, and no anime. I'd probably end up spending more money on games though, as I'd have time to actually play them without anime.
>>
>>140525819
But then you arent an anime fan
Dont you like the animation itself even if the story sucks?
The craft that goes into it?
If you are an oldfag you should have developed such sensibilities
>>
>>140525910
>too much effort to get manga onto a tablet
>not too much effort to work for money and then spend it on manga and wait for it to arrive
This is bait.
>>
>>140526442
Work becomes a habit over time anon. Spending money takes very little effort as well.
>>
>>140525959
What defines being a "fan" of anime to you then? I've been watching it for almost two decades now. I like the general animation style, but I've never been into buying merch or into the fandom. I still consider myself a fan even though I know that Ive been watching less and less each year but i don't see myself completely dropping it as a whole.
>>
>>140525959
Not that guy but as much as I love voice acting a bad story is unbearable. You can't enjoy something with retarded characters just because they look or sound pretty.
>>
>>140526758
Well I dont want to be making up a checklist of requirements people need to be fans
If you consider yourself a fan then you are one.
I was pointing out that there might be more reasons that some people realize as to why store or buy some anime/manga outside the stories, I think /a/ is too focused on only the storytelling aspect of anime and manga

>>140526807
I disagree its certainly possible, I watch really baldly written stuff all the time only because it looks good or I like the backgrounds.
Im personally not into voice acting that much, though when it sucks it really sucks and it can be very annoying.
But its all subjective, if you cant put the story aside then of course you are going to drop such a series.
>>
File: 1.png (14 KB, 511x73) Image search: [Google]
1.png
14 KB, 511x73
>>140524674
And soon you'll only be able to add streamable content to your list.
>>
>$50 per 12 eps
>fair
How the fuck is that fair?
>>
Yes, of course. Why wouldn't I? This is of course assuming the product is good quality, good tl's, karaoke, editing and typesetting for the anime, good quality paper and translation for the manga, etc. I already send way more on plastic butts, so I certainly wouldn't mind paying to support products I enjoy. But it has to be majority going to the actual producers, I don't want shits in the middle taking up 80%.
>>
>>140508052
I buy things from time to time, but only things I've already watched/read and liked. I would hate to buy something that sucked.

It still feels kind of pointless having it when I've already got it on my computer and could be saving it to do more exciting things.
>>
>>140527098
Agreed, if I want to buy a whole season of western TV it costs me 20 bucks, generally. That's the most I'm willing to spend on TV shows.
>>
>>140530313
Be glad you dont live in Japan
>>
>>140508052
Yes, but not nearly as much as I currently do. Maybe something around ~5 anime/manga series per year, and I wouldn't watch or read anything currently being released.
>>
That would fucking suck, I watch anime precisely because it's free. I'd probably one watch two shows max a season.
>>
File: 1430696969997.jpg (100 KB, 797x720) Image search: [Google]
1430696969997.jpg
100 KB, 797x720
No. I might consider paying $5 a month for everything I wanted, but that is just stupid. I could just read books which are free. Anime is ultimately a novelty.
Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.