[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Anthem of The Heart
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6
File: jun.jpg (121 KB, 513x289) Image search: [Google]
jun.jpg
121 KB, 513x289
FUCK THIS FUCKING MOVIE WHAT THE FUCK WAS THIS SHIT, FUCK JAPAN, TWO NUKES WEREN'T ENOUGH GOD DAMMIT FUCK YOU
>>
What was wrong with it?
>>
Go to bed /a/non, you got school tomorrow.
>>
>>140363191
"Thanks. But I love someone else."

>>140363237
Class isn't till 2pm.
>>
>>140363360
>"Thanks. But I love someone else."
Hit to close to home?

It sure did with me.
>>
File: 1457045638058.jpg (138 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1457045638058.jpg
138 KB, 1920x1080
>>140363421
WHY WOULDN'T HE GO FOR HER? SHE DESERVED IT ALL

this whole fucking movie had me thinking of high school again, it was fucking awful
>>
>>140363467
I don't think she did, though. Jun just fell in love with the idea of Takumi being her prince, he was just the first person apart from her mom that knew her secret and why she couldn't talk. He fit perfectly into her delusions and allowed her to come out of her shell (pun intended).
He helped her, she helped him. Everyone became better, more honest people, but apart from that, what Jun really needed was to accept she wasn't cursed and that nothing was her fault. Takumi got the ball rolling, but everything after that was Jun. She wrote the lyrics, she made the story, she made herself sick defending a guy who insulted her, insisted on doing a musical, it was all Jun. She needed to be heard, Takumi listened. Besides, he had his own issues with Nito, he couldn't appreciate the true cute that was Jun.

Takumi's loss, Anon. Be happy Jun found her voice again. Now she'll have friends, a repaired relationship with her mom, and an enormous baseball husband.
>>
In hindsight I can understand the things pointing towards that ending but it still left a rough taste in my mouth. I've always been partial to romantic fairy tale everything works out perfectly endings, reality be damned. That aside it was a fantastic movie, I really loved it. Some great voice talent, too, the singing was good but also convincingly amateurish.
>>
>>140364360
the thing is the whole movie builds them as a pairing while neglecting any time to the other pairings aside from like 1 scene between the girl and bald dude, it's not like you're suggesting that the film carefully set it up. just feels half-assed.

if the main appeal of your movie is the two mcs' interactions for 90% of it then you should pay off on it. like whisper of the heart.
>>
Japanese and Koreans are horrible at romance stories. Why is that?
>>
>>140365472
Which country is good at romance story?
>>
>>140365743
Italy, I'd say. Or Spain
>>
The ending was literally perfect.
>>
>selfish retard falls in love with first person to show her basic kindness
>boy just felt sorry for her

Wow, what a great love story guys.
>>
>>140362613
cringed several times throughout because i was also a autist mute in hs

literally had to pause and take 10 at some points because the cringe was so bad
>>
File: image.jpg (291 KB, 2048x1112) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
291 KB, 2048x1112
Did Jun imagine this or is it just the single worst line Okada has ever written?
>>
>>140364579
Heh it's like firewatch all over again.
>>
Best boy won the bowl.
>>
>Takumi helped Jun to break the shell, making her stronger to endure the "I love someone else"
>Daiki gets the new Jun
>Literally the alpha male gets the prize

I dont see any wrong on this. I would add more Jun x Daiki art
>>
>>140362613
>watching a high school romance drama
>by the same team as fucking AnoHana
You were asking for it
>>
>>140370674
But OP and co are upset that they didn't get AnoHana style clichéd bullshit romance.
>>
>>140364579
What your seeing as building a romantic pairing is kind of a trap with your expectations built by generic romances. We obviously see Jun falling for Takumi but we dont see him returning anything back.

Something interesting going on in the dissucussions about this movie is people expecting Takumi to fall for Jun because he is nice to her.
>>
>>140364579
>the whole movie builds them as a pairing

It didn't, faggot. It would only work if prince-kun had zero starting point in relationship. The fact is, he didn't when he first had contact with autist-chan.

It was all just one-sided feelings from her and he never returned her feeling, not even once.
>>
>>140363360
What the actual fuck, anon. Just cause you're a loser in highschool, doesn't mean you can push your romantic ideals into your chinese cartoons. In fact, that line was all I've been waiting for throughout the movie. It breaks a cliche, and you're not happy. If it is cliched, you're still not happy. What the fuck do you want, you indecisive cunt? Life doesn't always give you lemons to make lemonades. It gives you shit, and believe me, shit's all that matters in this god-awful world. Grow up already.
>>
>>140362613
I didn't mind the mixed up pairings but damn the
>confess to me later
ending made me rage hard
>>
>>140366570
Certainly gendo tier
>>
File: 1423300853849.jpg (29 KB, 292x292) Image search: [Google]
1423300853849.jpg
29 KB, 292x292
>>140371850
>loser in highschool

I fucking wish I could go back.

If it were cliched, I would be happy, I watch romance/drama anime to see that happy ending, not relive them.
>>
>>140362613
Anthem of a Cuck.
Kill yourself OP
>>
This is why self-inserting is pathetic. Isn't it a bit fun to see some cliches broken every now and then?
>>
>>140374957
Not when the cliches are broken for the sole purpose of breaking the cliches.
>>
>>140364579
The thing is that the fact that we didn't see much building up behind the scenes is exactly like real life. We don't always know what else is happening because we're so focused on ourselves. It's realistic.
>>
>>140371807
His lack of romantic interest in her was honestly so refreshing. I seriously dont mean that in a cruel way.
The movie was super sympathetic to people in Jun's position (read friendzone). That face Takumi gives after the confession hit home hard.

I dont see why people dont get this.
>>
>>140375627
I get it, I just don't like it.
>>
>>140375327
I like the post just under yours. You got glimpses of the guy's relationship with the other girl, but you got too invested in the one-sided crush from Jun. Kind of like the deluded nice-guy situation.
>>
http://youtu.be/kFW9-gx2pE0

Also sensei was GOAT
>>
>>140375760
Fair enough.
>>
>>140375871
God this song is so good.
>>
>>140363360
>>"Thanks. But I love someone else."

So the movie is typical Okada shit? Good to know.
>>
File: 1403567327006.jpg (87 KB, 715x761) Image search: [Google]
1403567327006.jpg
87 KB, 715x761
>>140377054
It sure is.
>>
>>140377054
yeah it is. you can also expect the usual screamings at the latter part of the movie
>>
>>140362613
>Sorry i love this cheerleading slut who frequent love hotels and did nothing when i was at my worst instead of a miracle of the universe like you who actually inspires me

Jun dodged the bullet here i say
>>
>>140371451
>>140371807
dude literally gives a monologue about how he improved everything in his life and as a human person thanks to girl. at any rate we don't see him demonstrate any feelings towards his ex-gf either, besides the fact that they used to go out and a throwaway line about "wanting to start from scratch" near the climax of the movie. a simple romantic framework did no damage to the themes of the film, there was no need to dump that "twist" it is just nagai's fetish that he wants to insert into his originals. hell the merits and demerits of the film don't even hinge on it, it just happens for the sake of it. it doesn't add anything really.
>>
>>140377546
I would have rather there be no confession then what actually happened.
>>
>>140377598
well, the actual worthwhile things about this film actually work without there being any need for romance. the entire romance angle is just okada and nagai doing their usual shit and the usual two camps where one side just wants simple payoff and the other is trying to come up with some bullshit about "realism" in a movie where characters just go around screaming in public as much as they can to make themselves feel important
>>
How could you want Takumi to end up with Jun after she said he had smelly armpits?
>>
>>140377138
>Ohana gets with the Yuki Kaji voiced faggot
the one time she doesnt fuck over the MC.
she still fucked over that girl that worked with him so Okada is still a hack.
>>
>>140375839
Not really. I knew that they weren't going to end up together because of spoilers, but Nito and what's his faces relationship was just thrown in so Jun couldn't end up with him.
>>
>>140378122
i actually can't seem to recall any nod to their past relationship before the part where bald dude asks girl out. they are seen in the same scene and interacting as well, but come off as complete strangers to each other and not at all "distanced over time" or anything. and the dude above who was saying these things should be glossed over because that's how real life is, well this movie doesn't attempt real life. everything is very deliberately thrown at the viewere so that he's aware of all the subtext before the characters are, so that argument just doesn't work.
>>
>>140378204
You just weren't paying attention: The scenes about her not having his number (and how much it annoyed her).
>>
>>140365472
>Mari Okada is horrible at romance stories.
FTFY
>>
>>140378265
that's like halfway through the film and after the scene i'm talking about
>>
>>140362613
Just watched it for the sweet sweet NTR, finally the girl who knew mc the longest wins, it's about damn time.
>>
>>140378457
I just never saw romance coming from the Takumi. Were Jun a guy, not much of their interactions would be changed. Takumi wanting to help Jun and in turn bettering himself would have not been as genuine if he just wanted to get in the autist's diapers.
>>
Anthem of the Heart is the best thing Mari Okada has scripted in at least five years or so.
>>
so is cheering on someone enough for them to get back into a relationship with you? okada is so shit at writing romance. the story would be fine with plain coming of age. her style of romance is fucking awful.
>>
>>140379104
would the part where he is asked about his feelings and gets all flustered blurting out an upset ".. i-i don't know" change though
>>
>>140379104
also
>if he just wanted to get in the autist's diapers.
is that your only interpretation of romance? all dudes interested in a girl are horny sickos and all girls interested in a dude are cockloving sluts amirite

besides, none of your arguments actually justifies the switch at the end. they only go 1 way.
>>
>>140363360
Whole movie is about lack of communication.
MC spends the whole movie talking about how he wants to talk and reconcile with his old girlfriend.
How can you can be so juvenile anon?
>>
>>140378457
I've had a skim through the first half again and there are lots of little things hinting at their past.

There's an awkwardness about how polite and formal they are around each other. Like when they both go to say the same thing in the first meeting. It's more awkward than it should be if they were strangers.

Then they overhear the baseball guys chatting shit about baldie. It upsets Nito and she's clearly thinking about something personal when she says people should just speak up if they've got aomething to say.

Then later when they're alone and they say goodbye Takumi stops and says, not looking at her, that there's truth to the idea of music expressing things you can't say because there are things he can't bring himself to talk about. Nito looks sadly at the ground and says "Right".
>>
>>140366570
"Words can kill".
Bravo Kojima!
>>
i forgot to watch this

looks like i'm never watching it as it sounds like it has a shit end
>>
>>140379309
actually MC spends most of the movie trying to talk girl out of her "condition" and preparing for the musical shit
>>
desu, the whole discussion here is just the result of having a MC that is almost a cipher, just like in most anime of this genre. it's very hard to make out distinguishable thoughts or anxieties without him literally monologuing them out for us, and the movie can't afford to spend half its runtime having monologues to characterize its protagonist (apparently it's very hard to do this characterization by more natural ways, even though it's applied to the main girl and the other two characters to an extent).

this is why these romance movies are always better off when the girl is the protagonist (see: tamako love story, whisper of the heart)
>>
>>140379255
No. I'm saying Takumi's motivation seems more pure and altruistic without romance. If the two were guys then people would just be screaming fujoshit when really it's a story about overcoming communication issues. I just don't understand why people must find romance in all intimate relationships.
>>
>>140379540
i don't "need" to find romance, the movie forced the romance down my throat and even if i wanted to ignore it, it became ONLY about romance during its climax. as i said >>140377715 the things that you can take out of this movie that can somewhat stay with you after the momentous experience of watching it ends are completely unrelated to the romance angle. but they really wanted to have the romance angle anyway even though it ended up adding very little and the ending undermined the rest of the movie in that sense because it was just not well plotted at all and they'd have needed 30 more minutes (or a writer with more talent than okada) to do it properly without abandoning other theme-relevant scenes.
>>
>>140379622
This is too subjective to argue any further. I really feel the romance elements added were not very heavily present. At least everyone can agree that the movie could have done without them.
>>
>>140379864
dunno if it could have "done" without them, the movie is crafted like a romance, many minutes of runtime are spent with romance as a consideration, specifically romance in a high school flourishing of youth kinda setting (iirc they call it "seishun-kei" or something similar) . like, there is a whole genre of this in japanese and korean media, and this movie is almost textbook.
>>
>>140379964
A movie about a shitty high school sports team becoming competitive can be called seishun-kei. Movies with high school settings should not be limited to romance. Sure there are many textbook examples where this is the case, but these textbook examples are not a standard to build from. They're just commonly played out due to demand.
>>
the movie needed romance. the retarded chick only stuck with the guy because she loved him, as her 'prince.'
>>
>>140380157
but the whole point is that romance plays a central or at least important part in the whole having the perfect idealized japanese school life. of course along with club activities, larger than life experiences and the whole menu. romance can be of utmost importance to a work or it can be secondary (like, say, in hyouka). here it starts off as something in the back (although you can tell it'll be important) and then ends up eating the whole thing by the climax.
>>
>>140380222
Good point. I guess I have to stick with my original point that Takumi did not seem too interested in her throughout and the movie could have made the one-sided love more obvious.
>>
File: 1452892356006.jpg (72 KB, 500x451) Image search: [Google]
1452892356006.jpg
72 KB, 500x451
> Watching a movie by a one trick pony writter
> Not expecting the only trick she knows
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.