[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can this be the same guy that wrote Medaka Box? The guy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
File: 266537-katanagatari.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
266537-katanagatari.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1600
How can this be the same guy that wrote Medaka Box?

The guy is truly a genius, being able to write differently genres so effortlessly and flawless.
>>
>>140308339
The longer nisio writes for the same franchise the more meta and up his own ass he goes.
So short and sweet is the best with him.
>>
>>140308339
Best fight.
>>
Does Nisio has a hair fetish? Like what the fuck, he puts it in every shit he does.
>>
>>140309051
He has CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT fetish.
>>
>>140308339
I watched it recently and was surprised they cut out the fight with that white haired guy, but I remember seeing a webm on it that got me interested in the first place. Was it an ova or something?
>>
>>140309444
You skip episode previews don't you?
>>
>>140308339

He pretty much sucks and is overrated as fuck by weaboos and people that started following Japanese media solely within the last 5 years. Pretty much all the supposed genius writers of the otaku scene just come across as a bunch of hacks who gear their material towards edgy self-righteous teenagers and write needlessly convoluted and plodding storylines with characters and concepts that try to be all meta and "deconstructions" but just come across as annoying examples of extreme fetishized characterizations that are mouthpieces for their fucked up world views so it's pretty much a fucking joke listening to people prattle on about guys like NisioIsin being oh so amazing when half the time they can barely survive without fanservice artwork. I might as well just stop taking whoever the person is that weaboos are trying to sell me on the second they try to bring out the genius label cause they literally never are.

Whatever happened to his new manga though? It started off typically ridiculous and up it's own ass with his usual stable of supposedly perfect genius characters that are oh so much better than everyone else in the world, completely despise it and are here to showcase why there and Isins world view is superior and then everybody just stopped talking about it after one chapter. Good lord was that first chapter really bad.
>>
Didn't his editor fuck with him when he wrote Medaka?

Writers are generally like that. Same with Butchers. All of his good stuff is when no one fucked with his script after he wrote it.
>>
>>140309752

I had that impression at first but when you reread it later it fits so well with his meta narrative and style.
>>
>>140309586

You should try making shorter sentences, makes it easier to read
>>
>>140309837

Nisioisin should try making less scenes that just run on endlessly, it'd make his material more palatable.
>>
File: 2k2o6qM.webm (1010 KB, 252x264) Image search: [Google]
2k2o6qM.webm
1010 KB, 252x264
>>140309586
>>
>>140309586

Agreed. It says a lot when the guys entire fanbase seems to consist of angry defensive male otaku in the 15-20 teen demographic that think entirely too much of themselves and their opinions for their level of world experience and insight into human nature and will flip their shit at you for pointing out totally valid reasons for why his material is not for everybody. I swear I've never met a single rational Nisioisin fan in the 6 years since Monogatari series has been getting milked to death by Shaft, Aniplex and Kodansha.

The way I see it you literally have to be of a very particular bitter anti-social and egocentric mindset and orientation in order to find his material tolerable let alone the work of a genius. I've also seen plenty of people that would disagree about the merits of his writing and provide perfectly valid reasons for it but like I said Monogatari fans tend to just scream them down with hyperbolic insults and adopt the get an equally angry teenage friend to assist them in doing so strategy of arguing back which says a lot. If your fanbases first instinct towards a series you like is to get pissy as all fuck and start hurling insults about critics having low IQs or just not being able to grasp the material they're probably not as intelligent and savvy as they think they are.
>>
>>140310294
Can you provide a better example of a writer?
>>
File: raw.gif (154 KB, 490x280) Image search: [Google]
raw.gif
154 KB, 490x280
>>140310021

You're really going to use this argument in a thread about Nisioisin the king of excessive verbiage in otaku media? This is actually a thing that is happening? Refer back to the part where I said about Isin fans being impossible to take seriously while I got refill the drink I just spit out in a fit of laughter. Holy fucking shit like dying here.
>>
>>140310294

I personally never understood the hype surrounding the Monogatari series beyond the waifu potential. I watched all of Bakemonogatari and never felt compelled to watch any of the others. The dialogue that everyone commends was just too long winded to be ever be engaging.
>>
>>140310396

What kind of writer? Light Novel, Japanese, Novelist. I mean you're just going to use this as bait to greentext me, disagree and tell me I have shit taste so lets at least establish a little rules before we go through these idiotic motions
>>
>>140310419

Yeah, I had a friend who REALLY liked bakemono, but I never really saw it as anything more than fapbait

I mean SHAFT does stylistic wonders but the source material itself is LN tier, which is to say, garbage. Pretty understandable given that LNs are literally the Japanese equivalent of YA novels like twilight, eragon, etc
>>
>>140310452
Both of them as I am quite unfamiliar with Japanese media.
As far as I remember, the author of Horizon LN wrote one of the most convoluted LN ever. Thoguh I don't know whether it could be considered as genius or not.
>>
>>140309478
It should be obvious this guy is a pleb.
>>
>>140309586
But isn't that literally what you're writing right now?
>>
>>140310294
>you literally have to be of a very particular bitter anti-social and egocentric mindset and orientation in order to find his material tolerable let alone the work of a genius.
I just genuinely enjoy the Monogatari series, please no bully
>>
>>140310294
>insults people for liking something with an angry wall of text and a complete lack of self awareness
>>
File: words1.jpg (565 KB, 849x565) Image search: [Google]
words1.jpg
565 KB, 849x565
>>140310419

I just don't even find it that interesting period and it just seems like his writing is forever trying to convince me of a world view I simply do not share because I'm not a shut in otaku with a monster ego. A lot of it is just pointless repetition of the same lines and ideas over and over again for what can be an entire arc or vague references to shit that only hardcore LN reading otaku are going to get anything out of. Then again Nasu does the same thing in his writing as does Gen Urobuchi albeit not quite to the same extreme extent and otaku swear they are absolute geniuses too so again I just think you have to have a particular otaku mindset that hates the world and thinks they're above everything and everyone else in order to maybe get anything more out of it than just some fanservice potential out of his writing. Just reading the sort of shit the guy writes about and the first chapter of his new manga I swear he fits the criteria for a misanthrope and while I do tend to have a low opinion of society in general I'm not nearly that far up my own ass to sit their in judgement of humanity by writing the kind of contrived shit people like Isin, Urobuchi and Nasu that are super popular with current otaku seem to be on about.

Granted there were times during Bakemonogatari and his other work Katanagatari where it kind of seems like things had a purpose or other side to them and were going somewhere but everything since just feels like pointless fanservice and dragging shit out. I barely made it through that one and had mixed views on it at best but I couldn't even get more than an episode into Nisemonogatari.

I'd also say his writing kind of reminds me of that Brazilian dudes that wrote No Game No Life. A lot of light novel writers seem to be really up their own ass and otaku just seem to love that sort of thing I guess.

TL;DR: I can see why his writing would appeal immensely to introverted otaku, /a/, MAL and the like but still think he's shit.
>>
>>140309586
>>140310294
I think this is just the result of Web Novels/LN's which allow pretty much any otaku to write some shit for himself and if enough people like his self indulgent crap it will get published as a LN, which if it is successful enough will get made into an anime by an otaku director who makes self indulgent crap for himself. This seems that it just leads down a trail of otaku making self-referential shit for otaku until at some point it will be so far up its ass that no non-otaku will be able to remotely come close to understanding it. This might have already happened with Nisioisin. In the introduction to Nisemonogatari, I've heard that he wrote the book solely for his own amusement, which seems like a decent proof for how fucked up LN culture is when something like that can be wildly successful.
>>
>>140310861

Well congrats you're the first person I've seen that likes it that isn't a complete douchebag about it.
>>
>>140309586
Are you Nisio?
>>
>>140310935
What did I just write sorry reading that It's completely incomprehensible.
>>
>>140310935

A lot of the most popular LN/VN writers out there lately started off just writing web novels for themselves, got immense grassroots support and then got published and things took off from there. Judging by things like Touhou, Mekaku City Actors and the like that seems like the way to do it lately.
>>
>>140310294
But there have been endless amounts of people who seriously "don't get it" shitting up the threads since 09'.
>>
>>140310939
I like nisioisin too. I just think his wordiness is charming and I have a thing for puns. It comes across as more comical than pretentious because of that.
>>
>>140310995

Or maybe they just genuinely don't like it and want to know why they're apparently not allowed to according to it's pissed off angry defensive fanbase
>>
>>140310939
I'm honestly embarrassed to admit that its probably my favorite series. Everyone assumes the fanbase is composed entirely of pretentious shitnuts (and then they usually prove this assumption right)
>>
>>140310908
I think the appeal behind these things is that they jerk off otaku egos by constantly referencing how shitty otaku culture is which probably appeals to the stereotypical otaku introverted mindset by telling them they are smart for understanding these references and thinking that life is terrible.
>>
>>140311020
They consistently get facts wrong.

When you can't even remember the episode you're criticizing, you're credibility goes out the window and the whole fanbase becomes extremely skeptical of all criticism.

I'm not gonna defend all of us. It's mostly waifufagging and pointless arguments. But some of us are levelheaded, enjoy Nisio for his artistic ability, and try to learn more about the series through decent discussion. You know, what /a/ is meant to be for.

You just seem to be immensely pissed that there's a popular and rather egoistic writer who is a force on the anime/manga scene. He may be up his ass, but he has work to prove he still can do well when he needs to.
>>
Why do you say all he writes is for shut-in otakus? One of the themes in Medaka Box is the importance of friends and school as the place where you can build life-long relationships
>>
>>140311054
>thinking that life is terrible.
Isn't the message the opposite in some cases?
>>
>>140310995
I enjoy Nisiosin, but there isn't much in his writing that's hard to "get." I find his work interesting, but its certainly nothing for the /lit/ canon
>>
>>140310935

Sadly this has become more the norm than not now. The vast majority of late night anime pretty much consists of this sort of sub-culture material that is varying degrees of popular and it's made a lot of things completely unwatchable to me this decade all production values aside cause I just don't identify with the LN/VN reading otaku sub culture.

There's really not a whole lot I can do about it though other than occupy myself with other hobbies, wait for this sort of shit to die down like it's sort of looking like it might soon albeit in a slow way that's going to take several more years of transition. What concerns me more though is the oncoming onslaught of mobage gacha scam tie-in commercials that have a good chance of being even worse and more self-serving media than these light and visual novels written by self-absorbed otaku for other self-absorbed otaku. I pretty much see no other recourse but to abandon ship come 2017 when the market looks like it's going to start getting saturated with this stuff. I have little regrets though, late night anime has been so bad and so up it's ass for so long that whatever affinity I might have had for the medium has all but faded away over the last couple years. If anything I'll just switch mediums to manga and/or JRPG/Strategy games if I want to keep following Japanese media or just stick to day time stuff.
>>
>>140311189

The whole thing seems very cynical and ironic about it and if that's not the intent than he really needs to work on the tone of his works cause they all just ooze cynicism and misanthropy.
>>
>>140311320
>ooze cynicism and misanthropy.
But that's literally Japan circa 2016
>>
>>140311188

I'm more just weary of the medium favoring this sort of writer nowadays. Again there's really nothing I can do about it because I'm clearly not the target audience the industry is looking to appeal to anymore but it's the fact that people apparently just can't accept that there are people that feel this way that makes me look at the fanbase as full of shithead trollbaiters. This thread is already extremely uncharacteristic of Isin supporters which admittedly comes as a pleasant and rare surprise.
>>
>>140311320
>cynical and ironic
I don't think so, the only one who acts that way is Kumagawa, and his last speech on graduation day even had a positive tone, like the rest of the series to be honest.
>>
>>140311272
Trends change, 15 years ago Eva clones were the shit, otaku will get sick of it at some point and find something else to like. After all the thing japanese otaku are best at is dumping all of their surplus income into buying otaku-targeted goods and there is only so much self-referential LN-style stuff that can be made until creators get sick of it. The problem is that if Monogatari etc are deconstructions of older LN trends, then what will happen when someone tries to do a deconstruction of more recent trends? Honestly I think that might just lead into an endless cycle of self referential bullshit "Deconstructing" older things while still including the same problems. That might be the real issue.
>>
>>140310935
>In the introduction to Nisemonogatari, I've heard that he wrote the book solely for his own amusement, which seems like a decent proof for how fucked up LN culture is when something like that can be wildly successful.

Newfag detected.
>>
>>140311383

Yeah kind of. I mean look at the kind of scumbag prime minister they have, what a disaster their economy is and looking to dip even further, how their population and birth rate is declining at legitimately dangerous rates and how they can't go more than a year without a massive earthquake fucking up their infrastructure. They lost WWII and still haven't gotten over it 70+ years later and are being consistently humiliated and upstaged by hated Asian economic rivals like China and Korea in virtually everything they seek to accomplish and compete in. Their most well known cultural exports like anime, video games and even manga (albeit to a lesser extent) in their current state are in obvious rapid decline in quality and demand worldwide to the point where they need to ask Netflix and various other foreign media companies for financial and creative assistance for the first time in it's history. Even their music scene which is about the only media market sector posting any sort of growth almost makes the Western one look full of variety with how it's completely dominates by 48's and Johnny's bands and there are even people convinced that they won't be able to pull the Olympics off. Their working conditions and quality of life is also miserable too since there's almost no down time to do virtually anything or have any joy in life and everything is so impersonal and repressed including even their own family life.

Being Japanese and living their current pop culture is kind of suffering and embarrassing and it looks like all political tough talk aside their Bushido fires kind of gone out since the 80's and 90's and they know their relevance on the world stage is fading fast. It's like their popular media seeks to remind them of it every single day too.
>>
>>140311547

I don't think we'll have to worry about that in a few years cause it looks like most anime is going to consist of cell phone game commercials. It kind of has me hoping the rumors of the government finally stepping in to regulate that market for it's brutal exploitation of people with gambling or other addictions is actually going to happen.

Literally if it comes to pass the way it's looking like it will I'm done with anime. Just no interest in following a medium that's going to exist of 12 episode commercials to try to get me to play ripoff games like Granblue Fantasy.
>>
>boring as fuck
>childish writing
>all content is just dialogues without any sense.
definitely the same author
>>
>>140309444
Yes
>>
>>140311547

I never really got the "DECONSTRUCTION!!" argument

Like, is Bakemono supposed to be a deconstruction of a harem? But the only reason why thats so is because the MC has a girlfriend? I dont understand whats so huge about that. Not only that, but there have been tons of shows that poke fun at harem anime (Especially harem anime themselves). SZS was doing this as a gag way before Bakemono was even written. Nanoha was a "deconstruction" of magical girl shows way before Madoka. Not to mention most of this stuff is still rooted in the late 90s / early 2000's. Whens the deconstruction of MOE OTAKU GIRL or SCHOOL IDOL CUTE GIRLS going to happen?
>>
>>140311320

What is Eden of the East? This kind of "JAPAN IS DYING" shit has been around since the late 2000's. Same shit is happening in America because people cant deal with technological change paradigm shifting the world economy.
>>
>>140311760

Japanese internalize failings outside of their control, its just the culture of shame. It HAS to be Japans fault if something bad happens, just like they HAVE to be the reason if its good. Theres no room for serendipity. Im not even sure that word exists in the same context in Japanese.
>>
>>140312847
It can't be helped.
>>
>>140312920

Right, anti-serendipity. Actually pretty telling into the Japanese psyche when its not a stroke of good luck or a blessing, but bad shit happens and you deal with it.
>>
>>140309051
You don't have a hair fetish?
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.