[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8
I really tried to like this series. I love mecha, especially 70s super robot mecha, Getter Robo's manga was amazing.
It did have 3 great moments, that being episode 8 with Kamina's death, the first big fight in space with the anti-spirals with Viral, and Kittan's sacrifice. It was enough to push me through the movie, which was already a slog to get through (the TV series was too slow and dull and I dropped it after the timeskip).

Then this happens. Having the entire Earth watch the fight for no other reason but to validate the MC. I couldn't take it seriously anymore. This is honestly really pathetic.
It gets even worse. After the fight, the entire fucking universe starts praising Simon. This isn't even Sword Art Online levels of wish fulfillment anymore, this is full blown fanfiction.

What the fuck happened?
Kill la Kill was much better.
>>
>>140289506
>fanfiction
That is not what that word means.
>>
It's hardly wish fulfillment when you can't self insert as the main character
>>
>>140290192
He's just generic nice guy who screams a lot.
If it was Kamina or Kittan, then it'd be a different story. They should have been the MCs.
>>
>>140290054
>not understanding a metaphor
>>
>>140290284
why was kitans death the best in the series
>>
>>140290284
They both are generic nice guys too.
>>
>>140289506
>Getter Robo's manga was amazing.

Should I go with that instead of this anime I just started? The animation is balls, but I'm digging the concepts and the story.

Honestly, Gurren Lagann is highly over-rated, probably by Trigger-niggers who think it's a Trigger series. It's a decent series, but nowhere near the level of Gunbuster for example. Feels like a case of more style than substance, something I get a lot of from Imaishi.
>>
>>140290365
The overall episode was great, and Kamina's death was pretty well done. His dynamic with Simon made it interesting. The episode director did a very good job on it.

>>140290391
Kittan wanted to fuck every girl in that village, while Kamina was so stupid and reckless that it literally got him killed.
All Simon does it grunt and yell and get powered up and never really does anything that some generic MC straight out of a battle harem won't do.
>>
File: FUCK.jpg (86 KB, 469x493) Image search: [Google]
FUCK.jpg
86 KB, 469x493
>>140289506
>I couldn't take it seriously anymore

What don't you fucking sperglords understand about the whole premise of this anime being
>Kicking logic out and doing the impossible

It's meant to be FUN in the same way Kill La Kill was just supposed to be FUN. Not everything has to be some dark edgy story that you think you can relate because your mom grounded you and you have no friends because you carry a Death Note Binder around. So you go get your rocks off after watching it by making some shitty AMV to the tune of Crawling in Windows Movie Maker
>>
>>140290655
Projecting much?
>>
>>140290545
The manga is far better. the ending of G and the entirety of Go is where it really shines.
The original anime gets by on charm, but its a really niche thing to like.

>>140290655
That's not the point I was making. Doing the impossible is fine, but when the show gets by with the appeal of being manly yet turns around and has to have validation for the MC, it falls right in its face. The entire message and theme of the show is just thrown out the window because whoever decided to write it didn't think saving the Universe was enough to make him feel wanted and desirable.
>>
>>140289506
>Then this happens. Having the entire Earth watch the fight for no other reason but to validate the MC. I couldn't take it seriously anymore. This is honestly really pathetic.
>It gets even worse. After the fight, the entire fucking universe starts praising Simon. This isn't even Sword Art Online levels of wish fulfillment anymore, this is full blown fanfiction.

>It's explained an ass load about how the anti-spirals don't want to do this shit often and so they try to keep the spiral races scared and despairing
>"These crazy faggots are the strongest the Spirals have ever gotten"
>"So lets broadcast us beating them on their own terms, nobody will ever try this shit again."
>THIS IS ALL JUST A CONVOLUTED WAY TO HAVE SUPER WISH FULFILLMENT
It will never cease to amaze me that there are people that actively look for reasons to like things less. How do you fuckers even live?
>>
>>140289506
>validation for the MC
>his waifu dies and he turns out to be an old man telling a story that no one believes anymore

Fuck off OP
>>
File: 1430637487304.jpg (27 KB, 247x236) Image search: [Google]
1430637487304.jpg
27 KB, 247x236
>I couldn't take it seriously

You were watching the show wrong. You failed Gurren Lagann.
>>
File: 1432325697153.jpg (47 KB, 471x361) Image search: [Google]
1432325697153.jpg
47 KB, 471x361
>>140290545
>Honestly, Gurren Lagann is highly over-rated, probably by Trigger-niggers who think it's a Trigger series.

>implying I didn't watch it while it was airing

It was great then and it's still great now. You just have shit taste.
>>
>>140290963
You'd have a point if they didn't spend excessive amount of screentime having humanity gaping in awe at Simon and Co. Just having the hole open was more than enough.
The universe thing wasn't even fucking necessary.

>>140290987
>could easily bring her back with an inconsequential amount of Spiral Power
>decide not to because it looks cooler
Why the fuck did Nia have the anti-spiral factor anyway? Seems awfully convenient, given how her ring turned out to be a plot device.
>>
>>140291144
>thing wasn't even fucking necessary.

Imaishi in a nutshell. You DID watch KlK right? I feel like everything this guy does is like a joke that's trying to be serious and ends up being bad at both.
>>
>>140290865
>validation for the MC

What the fuck do you mean, "validation for the MC"? He was saving the world; he already had the support of the whole fucking planet.

>make him feel wanted and desirable.

What are you even talking about here? You're talking like he's a harem protagonist. Are we still talking about TTGL?
>>
>>140290855
Le projecting meme
>>
>>140291303
The unnecessary stuff Imaishi usually does is convoluted action sequences or just completely random shit that he thinks is hilarious.
The headpieces and the glasses, for example.
But having the entire Universe sucking the MC's dick isn't Imaishi. That's most likely the script writer or episode director.

>>140291453
Exactly. He was already saving the world, but having the entire Universe shower Simon with praise and claim how cool he is is just way too excessive. That was my point in the first place.
>>
>>140290855
>Projecting
Not him but pls stop doing this. It's a fucking short way of saying "I know you are but what am I" keep that shit on the play ground.
>>
ITT: OP has problems understanding one of the simplest anime ever made, I hope he never gets around to watching NGE as it'll probably fry his brain.
>>
>>140290855
>Projecting much?
Nice meme friend
>>
>>140291545
>having the entire Universe shower Simon with praise

Maybe because he saved the entire fucking universe? The whole show is built on hyperbole, so of course it's over the top. Did you even watch it or are you just pulling all this from a Wikipedia article?
>>
So OP is saying Simon doesn't deserve validation for saving the universe? Seems legit
>>
>>140291621
>OP has problems understanding one of the simplest anime ever made

The amount of people who fail to understand simple series like Gurren Lagann and FLCL is really alarming to me. It's not fucking Ulysses, people, it's a coming of age story with giant robots.
>>
But it was the anti spiral who made that happen

The whole point was that he was going to destroy them and make earth watch

Why is this thread full of so many people who haven't watched this show?
>>
>>140291818
Yeah, oh and don't forget the main concept

Determined people will always succeed and win no matter who and what stands in their way
>>
>Kill la Kill was much better
Opinion invalidated
Kill la Kill was so shitty I had to drop it 3 episodes in
>>
>>140291621
This isn't about understanding TTGL, its the lengths that the series went to try to be entertaining to the intended audience.

>>140291709
Then why was it necessary to include the entire universe sending messages to humanity going on and on about how cool they are?
They show could have ended right there and the entire thing would have been exactly the same.

>>140291808
Its unnecessary. It reeks of inflated sense of self ego. Simon doesn't even have a personality.
>>
>>140290583
>Kittan wanted to fuck every girl in that village, while Kamina was so stupid and reckless that it literally got him killed.
So instead of cliche battle harem MC you'd prefer cliche battle shounen MC?
>>
>>140289506
>3 great moments

>doesn't even list Simon vs Lordgenome, or Simon and the Anti-Spiral punching the fuck out of each other
>>
> kill la kill was better
Wrong Gurren lagann is 10x better than kill la kill

Not saying kill la kill wasn't complete shit, but it wasn't near Gurren lagann a level
>>
>>140291844
OP's saying that's the Wattsonian reason, but the Doylist reason is "muh over-the-top self-insert character." The problem with this is that looking into it that deeply is a laughable mistake. Why care about the underlying reason they wrote it that way?
>>
If you weren't such a newshit who weren't even around when Lagann was airing you'd probably understand better
>>
>>140291981
>Simon vs Lordgenome
Utterly disappointing. Lordgenome was kicking Simon's ass but Simon just stabbed him when Lordgenome thought he was dead.
>Simon and the Anti-Spiral
Dragged on way too long honestly. Everyone having their own giant mechs was way cooler.
>>
>>140289506
>I couldn't take it seriously anymore.
Oh yes, I too was taking it super seriously before that.
You are retarded OP
>>
>>140292043
That's not fair to say. A good show should be able to stand on its own and shouldn't need accompanying "hype threads".

TTGL is good on its own, but you're a retard for even saying this.
>>
File: 1458914466231.gif (72 KB, 500x379) Image search: [Google]
1458914466231.gif
72 KB, 500x379
>>140292043
Lucky Star was better tbqh
>>
>>140291939
>Then why was it necessary to include the entire universe sending messages to humanity going on and on about how cool they are?

Did you not read what I wrote? I'll repost it: "Maybe because he saved the entire fucking universe?" He saved their lives, and they're grateful for it. How do you not get this? Do you not understand the concept of thanking people who've helped you? Have you never seen a victory parade for returning soldiers? A pancake supper for firefighters?

Are you being purposefully dense, or are you actually retarded?
>>
>>140291939
>Then why was it necessary to include the entire universe sending messages to humanity going on and on about how cool they are?
It was establishing the amount of other spiral races out there who were eager to meet them, ending the main part of a show on a tone of hope. It set up the Spiral Council in the epilogue
>>
>>140292230
But what was the purpose? Its not something that inherently happens from the story unfolding. There's been very little mention of any alien races aside from the ones that were wiped out.

It came out of left field and felt contrived.

>>140292324
Now that makes sense. I feel like they could have done it better, but at least now it fits within the narrative.
>>
>>140291939
>going on and on about how cool they are
It's literally one line at the end, to allow the science fiction future epilogue. You seem to be completely hung up on tiny details, though, so whatever.
>>
>>140292469
>There's been very little mention of any alien races aside from the ones that were wiped out
Spiral races continually spring up, advance a certain level and are crushed, it was well established that humanity wasn't alone

>I feel like they could have done it better
How? They straight up talked about all the spiral races out there waiting to meet them after
>>
>>140291939
>Its unnecessary. It reeks of inflated sense of self ego. Simon doesn't even have a personality.

Pretty sure you have bragging rights if you're able to say you saved the entire fucking universe from extinction. He even ends up as an old man with no one believing him. Also, how can you say he doesn't have a personality when the entire show was centered around developing him. From him overcoming the death of his closest friend in order to fight, to him overcoming the death of his wife at the end. Hell, he even traverses space-time in order to stop one of his closest friends from committing suicide. The entire show is centered around the concept of doing the impossible and the symbolism with the anti-spirals representing the "obstacles of life" are pretty apparent. Seriously, it's a big parable to life, with Simon representing the transition from boyhood to manhood and conquering all opposition through sheer determination regardless of the odds. It's not that difficult to understand, but the message gets through highly effectively.
>>
>>140289506
I never watched the movies so I don't know the part you're talking about

I don't think the series had that moment
>>
>>140292587
>How?
Ideally? Involve alien races in the final fight. But that's just my wishful thinking. The series is about humanity, even if Simon does all the legwork.
It probably would have been cooler to actually have them show up in the end right after the fight.

>>140292686
His actual personality, not his actions. His actions are just standard good guy fluff taken to the extreme and is completely selfless.
Simon was just very, very boring as a character and dragged the entire show down to mediocrity since the entire thing focuses on him.
>>
File: 1425073963078.png (534 KB, 598x512) Image search: [Google]
1425073963078.png
534 KB, 598x512
>>140292469
>But what was the purpose?

Ho. Ly. Shit. WATCH THE SHOW. They were people who'd been subjugated by the anti-spirals and, after the anti-spirals were defeated, wanted to show their gratitude. It was to illustrate how Simon and co. had saved the whole fucking universe and now everyone was happy.

How are you not getting this? It is a simple fucking concept: hero saves the day, everyone thanks him.
>>
>>140292782
>His actions are just standard good guy fluff
Kamina died because Simon had a crush on a girl.
He spends a good lot of the series growing out of being a selfish kid.
>>
>>140292944
The point was that the thanks was unnecessary and seemed to exist solely to put the MC on an even higher pedestal than he already was.
However, as >>140292324 pointed out, it was a set up for the epilogue and the Spiral Council.

>>140293025
That was the best part of the show, and honestly episode 11 was the peak. After that, the whole "Simon can do it!" started and it just got annoying.
>>
>>140292782
>It probably would have been cooler to actually have them show up in the end right after the fight.
That would have been so stupid, races dont survive long under the antispirals after developing intersteller flight. That was why the epilouge took place so long after the end of the series, it was a big enough job to get them together

>His actions are just standard good guy fluff taken to the extreme and is completely selfless
I honestly dont know if you even watched the show if you didnt see all the points Simon wasn't perfect
>Gets his best friend killed because he gets jealous of him making out with the girl he had a crush on
>Turns into a tool into a bid to emulate Kamina, insults Rossio for previously believing in his religion
>Cant operate Lagann after he loses faith in himself
>Post timeskip he bitches out on fighting back against Rossio, which results in more people being killed

The entire story of Gurren Lagann is about him developing into an adult and his own person, the bravery and daring of Kamina tempered with a bit more reserve and sense from Nia
>>
Series went to shit with the Antispiral business

Prove me wrong
>>
>>140293626
I don't have to prove to you how galaxy shurikens are amazing
>>
>>140293985
They were just so contrived compared to the Beastmen. The battles against the Antispirals were weird but not exciting.

Except the Spacepool battle, that was pretty great.
>>
>>140291939
>They show could have ended right there and the entire thing would have been exactly the same.
The Anti-Spirals were wiping out any Spiral Race that got even close to establishing a civilization. Once they were out of the picture it was no longer dangerous to broadcast a message since before that would result in your planet's destruction. Why not have the first message be thanking the guy who just saved you?
>>
>>140289506
>I really tried to like this series.
Stopped reading here.
Go choke on your own vomit.
>>
>>140289506
you've bad tast op, that's all there's too it

also
>i love mecha
1. you're autistic
and
2. >>>>>>>>>>/m/>>>>>>>>>>>
>>
File: KAyv07D.jpg (119 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
KAyv07D.jpg
119 KB, 1920x1080
At this point there's no point in trying to convince OP, he's clearly trying to not like it in any way possible, ignoring all the reasoning provided to him throughout this thread. If he believes that Kill la kill is better, then the show is just not for him
>>
>>140292782
Did you like pay attention to the opening of the show which mirrors that exact moment in an entirely opposite manner where it says "All the lights in the sky our are enemies". That was the original ending and progression of the show. That was changed because that character development didn't make as much sense during the development of the show after Kamina died.
>>
>>140298309
KLK is significantly worse, and Ryuko goes through character assassination.
>>
>>140289506
From reading this thread I've gathered that OP is legitimately autistic and can't understand something as simple as TTGL. Amazing.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.