[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So Eva took inspiration from Ideon and Devilman and Tengen Toppa
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: FLCL.jpg (31 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
FLCL.jpg
31 KB, 300x300
So Eva took inspiration from Ideon and Devilman and Tengen Toppa from Getter Robo. Is it known if FLCL's narrative was inspired by any specific work similar to them? I'm not asking about references, since that's a different thing. I'm asking about the general story, plot and premise.
>>
>>140128306
Tengen Toppa is a part to the gunbuster series, it's extremely heavily inspired by diebuster
>>
>>140128306
You do realize that you're talking about anime made by different people over more than a decade, right? I don't know why you think there's any relation between what their inspirations are or aren't.
>>
>>140129568
I don't really get what you mean. It's fairly known that Gainax is sort of an otaku-centered studio and the creators themselves were anime fans. Hence the fact that so many of their works were inspired by classic anime titles. I was just wondering if FLCL also took some inspiration from one of those, not necessarily implying it's any of the same titles I mentioned. In fact it's probably not.
>>
>>140128306
I think it was just a mash-up.

>>140129432
The writer of TTGL is a HUGE Getterfag, and it shows since every concept in TTGL is either a slightly modified version or a complete copy of a concept in Getter Robo.
>>
>>140129568
>made by different people
No, anon, there's a great deal of overlap between the staff of those shows. They're also made by the same studio. This is a reasonable question.
>>
FLCL actually has kind of the opposite thing going for it. FLCL's tone and "fuck it do whatever" content was a response to the grueling and dark work that was Evangelion. FLCL was Gainax's excuse to have a bit of fun while trying out some new animation techniques.
>>
>>140131271
Is this true? Kare Kano and Ebichu were made earlier and they were both pretty light-hearted.
>>
Everything is inspired by something else, there hasn't been an original idea for thousands of years
>>
>>140131627
t. unoriginal hack
>>
>>140131627
Ok, but I'm wondering if it's something specific in this case. I thought that was pretty obvious from what I wrote.
>>
>>140131627

True that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hero_with_a_Thousand_Faces

About Evangelion and Ideon/Devilman. Yeah, I've seen Ideon and read Devilman and I can see some inspiration, but not to the point of thinking it's a ripoff like some people try to make it seem like. The only think Devilman-ish about Evangelion is some of the "big monster" battles like vs Sachiel or Shamshel, and with Ideon it shares the whole ancestral race god robot thing, but besides there being giant robots involved, Evangelion took more from Childhood's End than Ideon in terms of core plot elements.
There's also lots of Ultraman and even Gundam and Macross influences in there. But none of them are like Evangelion, and also all of them were inspired by things before. Nothing is original, in the literal sense.

FLCL, now that's a good question. It's a huge parody anime so it's hard to tell what's an actual influence and what's just a reference.
I think FLCL is really all about clashing styles, there's no set tone of FLCL, it's all over the place. It makes me think more of the most crazy Looney Tunes stuff actually.
>>
>>140132450
I think with TTGL it's a bit more evident, but then again you can't say it's a rip off. But Gainax is very open about what they reference, it could be treated more like a tribute. Since they just love the titles and are just huge nerds. Anno posted a list of 10 of his favorite anime once, and both Gundam and Ideon were on there. Devilman is his favorite manga on the other hand. Besides the stuff you mentioned he's a fan of Space Odysey and Kubrick in general, which you can see clearly influencing his directing style.
>>
why are you letting the /m/ getter shitposters in here
>>
>>140128306
>Eva took inspiration from Ideon and Devilman
Don't forget Ultraman too
>>
>>140132450
Devilman was also riddled with christian symbolism.
>>
>>140133014
Why do people call it symbolism? Did Lords of the Rings have norse symbolism?
>>
>>140133846
Lack of a better word, honestly.
>>
>>140133889
It's called "imagery", ESL-kun.
>>
>>140133889
You can just say that the setting was inspired by christian mythology.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.