[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I couldn't get through 10 minutes of the English dub despite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: vash.jpg (86 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
vash.jpg
86 KB, 640x426
I couldn't get through 10 minutes of the English dub despite everyone saying it's great.

I've noticed that I usually end up switching to English subs for most anime. I'm not trying to be pretentious, there is just something grating about english voice acting in the anime I've seen. It's like every character either suffered a stroke and is learning how to speak again or has autism.

Am I the asshole here? Be honest.
>>
>>140047112
>English speaking people trying to imitate Asian culture

It's never going to be perfect. Unless the JPN dub is voiced by 3 yr olds and the ENG dub has god tier actors, the JPN dub will normally be better.

English speakers lack the same charm the Japs do. The comedy doesn't translate well either. English voices just normally don't fit, especially in a show that has a lot of jokes like this one.
>>
>>140047728
Do you know of any notable exceptions where the English dub is better, in your opinion or just general consensus
>>
>>140047112

just like what you like in terms of subs and dubs
>>
>>140047112
>The dubs I watched and I'm used to were good.
Never listen to these faggots OP.
>>
>>140047112
Subs is always better than subs. Except for Goku's voice
>>
>>140047112
Either due to inferior VAs, poor direction, or bad script adaptation, dubs will almost always be inferior to the source material.

This isn't exclusive to Jap -> English stuff. If the language has any kind of VA industry, the original language will generally have a better performance than any dub of it. Even subs aren't immune to being inferior to the original script (hence why rawonlyfags exist).

As always, there are exceptions, but they're few and far between.
>>
>>140048340
I know /a/ thinks its a meme, but Cowboy Bebop
>>
>>140048519
Goku's japanese voice is the only reason why I put off watching Super for weeks at a time.

If i wanted to hear a 79 year old japanese woman scream, I'd visit the old folks home more
>>
File: 1455213285574.png (192 KB, 501x445) Image search: [Google]
1455213285574.png
192 KB, 501x445
>>140048869
Faye's English dub literally ruined her character for me. I can't unhear it and it's awful.
>>
>>140047112
Subs are always better than subs, If they tried convinced you otherwise you probably were on /v/
>>
>>140049280
subs are better than dubs*
>>
>>140049193
I tried that but Jet didn't sound right to me. Also finding out that Jet and old Joseph Joestar have the same voice actor solidified my decision to stick with the original.
>>
>>140048340
Baccano is a show that absolutely must be watched dubbed
Yu Yu Hakusho
Samurai Champloo
Cromartie High School

Those are probably the most actually legit dubs
>>
>>140048340
Cromartie High School is great in English

So is YuYu Hakusho, if only for kuwabara
>>
>>140049037
remember back when Dragon Ball saved and subsequently ruined anime? It was both the best and worst thing to happen to japanese animation
>>
>>140048340
PSG and YYH. That's it.
>>
>>140048869
>>140048340
Cowboy Bebop, Baccano, and the GITS anime out of the top of my head
>>
>>140048340
Gurren Lagann, sounds great in both, I know the Japanese one has more soul to it but it was not a bad dub
Gundam 00 and G-Gundam also had great english dubs
>>
>>140047112

It's a great dub but an older anime so the script has that weird thing that older dubs have where they have to kinda weirdly rearrange word-order and stuff to keep the "lip synch" from looking too bad.

I can get if it bugs people.

Also yeah, there's plenty of perfectly fine dubs. There's just a lot more really fucking horrendous ones.

If you're like, "I CAN ONLY LISTEN TO PURE ARTISINAL BESPOKE NIPPONESE" yeah you're autistic but whatever
>>
>>140050635
Nah, ideally I'd like to watch a show in English, that way I don't have to have my eyes 100% glued to the screen. At the same time, subtitles aren't difficult for me so I don't have a problem with subs.

This will sound very plebeian but I think Princess Mononoke was the only dub I've watched where I had 0 complaints. Billy Bob Thornton matched his character's design really well and nothing took me out of it. I guess I wish more dubs were of the quality, but of course not every show can afford A-list actors.
>>
Dubs can be good, they just almost never are. There's not enough of a market to get real talent on board. On top of that, the original voice is usually best because they have a director that is much more closely related to the work and can give better input. This isn't just an anime thing, I would almost never watch a dubbed over foreign film either unless it was ridiculously well-done. Most people that call a dub good are biased by nostalgia, that being said a lot of Japanese voice acting sucks balls too, they just have a larger pool of talent to choose from so it's not as much of a constant.
>>
I personally liked Gundam Unicorn's English dub and actually prefer it over the jp dub. Not saying it's better though.
>>
>>140048340
Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters
>>
My litmus test for pretentious fucks is how they watch Space Dandy
>>
>>140048828
Would American cartoons (e.g. Archer) sound equally awkward to Japanese people with a jp dub?
>>
>>140053143
Probably. Dubbing is a lot like a game of Telephone, except you have to tell the next person in line the thing in a different language than the last person in line.
>>
>>140053143
I would assume so, especially with Archer. It's written in a way that suits Jon Benjamin's dead pan delivery; things like that can very easily get lost in translation.
>>
>>140048340

I thought Haruhi's eng dub was great
>>
>>140048340
>>140047112
>thinly veiled newfag recommendation thread

classic
>>
>>140048340
Hellsing Ultimate and Death Note's dubs are great
>>
>>140053859
Oh, duh. I forgot about that one. Anderson's voice was especially a highlight.
>>
File: 1338092827711.jpg (79 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1338092827711.jpg
79 KB, 500x375
Dubs are always going to be worse because, on some level, you know how fucking ridiculous and childish anime is, and it makes it feel a whole lot worse when it's spoken in your tongue. It hits you harder

When it's in Japanese, you have at least one extra mental barrier between your adult brain and four teenagers saving the world with the power of friendship
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.