[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you have gotten in the robot? Be honest.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 8
File: cotd_email_1443725502_00025.jpg (28 KB, 390x219) Image search: [Google]
cotd_email_1443725502_00025.jpg
28 KB, 390x219
Would you have gotten in the robot?
Be honest.
>>
>>140025610
First time, after them telling me I only need to sit there, probably yeah.

After that, fuck no. They just brutally broke my arm
>>
Probably not. Most people on /a/ would probably be much more hesitant to pilot it if they were at Shinji's age.
>>
>>140025610
Well, if I was literally the only candidate on hand, then yes. But I would question why they'd choose a shitter like me.
>>
>>140025718
Except they didn't.
>>
>>140026233
You are right.
And they'd probably convince me again when there was another angel there.
Basically the situation is fucked and you don't have much of a choice.
>>
>>140025610
Yeah.
One of the things that scares me most is living my life as an insignificant nobody and then being forgotten. So what if I've got friends and family? When I die, that's two dozen people, tops, who give a fuck or try to remember me.
This right here is an obvious plot hook. I'd be scared, sure, but I think if I had a chance to be the MC then I'd go through with it.
>>
>>140026441
Found the Asuka
>>
>>140026522
Fuck, really? I've never actually seen NGA, I just know enough about it to understand the "get in the robot" thing.
>>
>>140026441
lol teenage angst
>>
>>140025610
>There is no one else
Then I'll do it
>There are tons of other people
Then let someone else do it

If I'm the only one there is, they can't put the blame on me if I fail. If there are others who can do it, and I choose to, it's my fault if I fuck up.
>>
>>140026622
If everyone else applies that logic, then nobody gets in the robot at all.
>>
>>140026441
It's somewhat similar.
Though Asuka is more worried about being forgotten now, not when she dies.
>>
>>140026637
Everyone wont apply that logic, so it's fine.
There will always be those people who volunteer. When no one steps up to the plate, that's when I take it. Then everyone is relieved they didn't have to, and they don't blame me when it goes bad because they didn't want to do it either.
>>
>>140026672
Ah, I see.
>>
>>140026672
>and they don't blame me when it goes bad

I have something to tell you about people anon.
>>
Yes.

Dying in a mecha, biomech or otherwise, is a happy death.
>>
>>140025610
No.
Using giant robots against angels is xenophobic and racist, which makes them feel oppressed and misunderstood, resulting in their justified aggressive behavior. As a tolerant and progressive society, we should accept their culture and provide them with appropriate support.
#angelswelcome #bangiantrobots
>>
if the world was about to end I might aswell pilot a huge warmachine
>>
>>140025877
Pretty much this. Everybody forgets that Shinji is still a kid. People who make fun of Shinji for not wanting to pilot the EVA are either incapable of understanding that something like that is terrifying, especially when still so young, or just too stupid or shortsighted to understand the risks involved and just want a chance to play hero.
>>
>>140027345
Shinji is not a kid, he is a fictional character. He can have whatever qualities make the show more appealing to watch, and being a little crybaby for 98% of it make the show UNappealing.
>>
File: armsplit.jpg (29 KB, 473x270) Image search: [Google]
armsplit.jpg
29 KB, 473x270
>>140027178
Super happy
>>
>>140027389
>I want pandering
Alright
>>
Let's see, 14 years old me given chance to get in the monstrous robot, not knowing it's a lifeform that can go berserk in moment notice, send to fight terrifying things called angel, which is not resembling anything people think as an angel, immune to pretty much any weapon known to man, and obviously want to conquer the world, so the fate of humankind is in my hand. Imagine the deadly dangerous battle and the heavy burden placed on me.

14 years old me is like Mari Makinami who will gladly jump in there.
>>
>>140027543
>I am a gigantic imbecile

Everybody in the entire universe wants "pandering" as you like to call it. Don't pretend you are any different.
>>
14 year old me I dunno, maybe.

Now though yeah, better to die fighting right?
>>
>>140027747
I won't pretend, I really don't.
You need to be retarded to not value artistic vision.
>>
>>140027837
>artistic vision

I'll value it when the artistic vision itself is valuable. It's not inherently valuable by its mere existence.
>>
>>140025610
Lets see.
Option A: Don't get in the robot, world gets fucked, everyone (including you) dies and you didn't get to pilot the awesome robot.

Option B: Get in the fucking robot. Worst case scenario it's the same as option A, except you got to pilot the awesome robot.
Best case scenario you get a harem of eternal young pussy wanting your dick. And the awesome robot.
>>
>>140027837
>I really don't

Then you have no problem with shinji being whatever.
>>
>>140027879
Is this your way of saying "some stuff exists that I don't like"?
>>
>>140027957
Well I wouldn't have a problem since I wouldn't be into the show.
Turns out he is an excellent character so I am into the show.
>>
Having watched the show and knowing how they work? Fuck no.

If I didn't know that who knows.
>>
File: 30243224.jpg (33 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
30243224.jpg
33 KB, 300x300
>>140025610
>14-year-old me
Depends, is this before I had to go to a mental institution for a few months?
>>
>>140027996
>he is an excellent character

Explains a lot. See anon, you DO like being pandered to.
>>
I never really did watch Evangelion when I was a kid. I thought it was a stupid Gundam rip-off. I got to watch it in the mid 2000s and I find the hate towards Shinji and calling him a wuss kinda uncalled for. He was just a kid, younger than your average mecha protagonist which is like 16 years old. Nobody wants to be forced into a situation they don't agree, much less risking their life. Yes, his whining can be a bit annoying, but that's completely justified. If anything, he's pretty well written for a mecha MC.
>>
>>140025610
>get in the robot
>world ends and everyone dies
Tough choice.

>>140026441
Why do you care about that?
I can understand if people want to make a change in the world.
But this "hur I want to be remembered by everyone" just sound weird. Like, why give a shit about that?
>>
>>140026441
Wow. Must suck knowing one of the things that scares you the most will almost inevitably come true.
>>
Look at all these pussies.

I would just to look young forever, and drop kick niggas
>>
>>140028046
>his whining can be a bit annoying

That's putting it lightly.
>>
>>140028035
Pandering is changing your work to please some demographic.
An author doing what he likes isn't pandering.
>>
>>140027389
>and being a little crybaby for 98% of it make the show UNappealing.

Literally subjective.
>>
>>140028058
>world ends and everyone dies
Shinji doesn't know that
>>
>>140025610
Yes and you can bet I would have beat off on a crippled Rei before Asuka too
>>
>>140028091
Keep in mind the EVA needs a pilot with a sound mind to pilot it or the thing can go berserk. Worst case it could turn into an angel itself and destroy the world
>>
>>140028105
>An author doing what he likes isn't pandering.

No anon, wrong. Bad anon. Learn your definitions. An author can pander to himself quite easily.
>>
If the angels weren't giant creepy space monsters and were more like the things from Nobunagun or Gunbuster or something, then sure. Even better would be getting in a robot to fight against other robots. But against giant creepy angels, I think I'd probably just give up and run away. There's a real looming sense of doom in the series that I definitely would've been crushed by long before Shinji.
>>
>>140028106
And?

It's not about people forgetting that he's a kid. It's about the fact that he acts like one, and the worst kind of one too despite being 14 years old.
>>
>>140028206
I mean, sure? if you want to be pedantic,
I still don't want to be pandered to.
>>
>>140028306
>I still don't want to be pandered to

If you didn't want to be pandered to, then nothing about the series would matter to you anon. The creator could change any part of it, and you wouldn't care about the changes because you don't want to be pandered to.
>>
Remind me why only kids can pilot these mechs instead of trained military personnel?
>>
>>140025610
Yeah. But if im good at it, i expect them to pay me in misato sex slave.
>>
>>140028394
Something about the sync ratio being better in children than adults.
>>
>>140028394
Had to be born after 2nd impact
>>
>>140028375
>The creator could change any part of it, and you wouldn't care about the changes because you don't want to be pandered to.
If they did that I wouldn't care about the series. This isn't hard to grasp anon.
Even if they did it halfway through, I would get angry and think "Anno is a shithead that wasted my time" not "oh I wish they had done it my way, it would've been way better".
>>
>>140028394
The ability to synch with it decreases as you age. So even people with high compatability when they are young, will move the eva more sluggishly as adults.
>>
If they made Shinji a battle hardened 20 year old, would NGE be as fondly remembered as today?
>>
>>140028394
Mother's soul inside the eva.
>>
>>140028122
But he saw the angel and that the military is useless.
And I'm pretty sure they tell him that 01 is their secret weapon.
He doesn't know that the world would end but that it's pretty damn important.

>>140028219
But Gunbuster is full of giant creepy space monsters.

>>140028229
Yeah but what's so bad about him acting like a dumb 14 year old kid?
You said it's unappealing but that's subjective.
I really like that about him because it makes him a far more believable character. Watching him struggle is just as interesting as watching an action hero scream to win his fights.

>>140028394
Because the pilots and Evas souls have to connect.
Pretty sure the Evas only work when they want, aka when their children pilot it.
Just remember when 01 didn't give a shit about the dummy plug and wouldn't activate in episode 19 or so.
>>
>>140028463
What? Where are you getting this from?
>>
>>140028461
>If they did that I wouldn't care about the series

You're also saying that you don't care about it now. To not want it to go "back" to how you liked it, means that you don't care about it.

This isn't hard to grasp.
>>
>>140028496
>You said it's unappealing but that's subjective.

Everything is subjective in art.

And yeah, I would say that he is quite a believable character. But I disagree on one point. He doesn't really struggle. He pleads, or he just bitches out and gives up, and that's really the extent of it.
>>
File: cypher.jpg (29 KB, 663x422) Image search: [Google]
cypher.jpg
29 KB, 663x422
>pilot giant metal thing that kills aliens
>having a duty and responsibility
>be surrounded by beautiful and intelligent women

considering how shit and my life is right now then hell yeah I'd get in the FUCKING ROBOT
>>
>>140028513
The show itself. Somewhere.
>>
>>140028519
That's complete bullshit.
You can care and get angry about something going wrong without wanting it to change.
>>
>>140028594
You shouldn't make shit up anon
>>
>>140028617
Where do you think the anger comes from?

It stems from an unconcious, or otherwise, desire for change.
>>
>>140025610
its agint fucking robot, and the world is going to end anyway, and they say im qualified so yeah, im getting in
>>
>>140028496
Well I think the Gunbuster monsters are way less creepy. The bigger ones look kind of pretty even, but the smaller ones are just like big bugs, sort of creepy but not that bad, at least sort of familiar. They're large and fast, but at least they move in expected familiar ways and use expected familiar methods of attack. They're a little creepy but not so much that I wouldn't want to still blast em.

The angels from Eva are mostly just the stuff of nightmares though. Very creepy. Run away.
>>
>>140028653
He is not. They say it within first 6 episodes i think.
>>
>>140028662
Well that's reaching.
Sure the primitive part of the brain thinks a lot of childish shit, doesn't mean you should just go along with it.
>>
File: Shinji_5db06f_5865005[1].jpg (44 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Shinji_5db06f_5865005[1].jpg
44 KB, 500x500
So when people complain about shinji not getting in the robot they are talking about the last few episodes right? because im watching right now and im on episode 18 or so and Shinji has been bodying fools left and right
>>
>>140028768
>Sure the primitive part of the brain thinks a lot of childish shit

Is that what you think the subconscious is? The "primitive" part of the brain?
>>
>>140028717
Really? I'll believe you
It's strange that they'd an extra condition when they already had the perfect excuse for them having to be born after 2nd impact.
>>
>>140028768
You can't grow up if you don't.

Why do you think the japanese are so childlike? Because they are to busy suppressing their instincts to grow up naturally.
>>
>>140028789
>when people complain about shinji not getting in the robot they are talking

Yes. Yes they are.
>>
>>140028830
Oh, well that could have been it. Still explains why no military personnel could pilot it though.
>>
>>140027389
Godamn you're fucking retarded.
anno was trying to write realistic characters when he wrote them, not mary sues with perfect, flawless personalities. If you can't see this, you must be really fucking retarded.
>>
>>140028814
In a simple and basic kinda way, yes.
>>140028841
Has nothing to do with growing up. For example, they annoyance from a baby crying is that you can't just get up and shut him up or throw him out the window. Doesn't mean you should follow that though.
>>
>>140028573
He doesn't just give up.
People always say that but often he really tries his best and you see that. Like in episode 3 or 4 when he is forced to train in those simulation things and he goes crazy when fighting the angel because of all the emotions.
He constantly tries to keep going and other characters like Misato try to support him but the whole situation is so fucked up that he just ends up in miserable states.
Gendo always tells him to fuck off if he doesn't like it, but Shinji knows he has to do it. He's caught in a shitty situation, he wants to escape but life doesn't let him.
If he's not struggling, I don't know who is.

>>140028789
No they are just generally complaining about him.
>he's such a faggot xD

>>140028845
kek
>>
Yes.

I would do it no question, Piloting a giant robot and fighting giant enemies is literally a dream of mine since childhood, I'd take the chances and reap the rewards of being a based pilot.
>>
>>140028904
>hurf furf retarded

Nobody is talking about mary sues. A character is not a mary sue by not being a snivelling basket-case.

Retard.
>>
>>140028917
>Doesn't mean you should follow that though

It might. If the first thing you think of when a baby is crying is to throw him out of the window, then maybe you need to see a professional about those urges.

Or if you want it sorted faster, simply throw them out the window and have it sort itself out, which it would in due time.
>>
>>140028871
Actually, if you'd payed any attention, it was because the evas were custom built for them, this is made obvious several times. In episode seventeen, it is revealed that all the kids at shinjis highschool were future pilots for potential evas. They just made shinjis, reis, asukas, and tojis first. Also remember that kensuke said that several kids had left on government orders for unknown reasons. They were probably the pilots of evas which never were usex, blew up, or possibly the MPs. Any one of the children could usually pilot anothers eva to skme extent, although the high sync rate between reis and shinjis was above standard.
>>
>>140028929
There was that whole series of events where he quits. Later on he runs back to save the day, etc. The show spends ages on his big sook.

In the final movies he does nothing at all.
>>
>>140028953
There you go again. You know nothing about teenagers, or humans in general. Just because you're skme tough asswhole who wouldn't hesitate to do something doesn't mean most people are like that.
>>
>>140029092

>does nothing at all.

Pretty sure he's running the whole show by the end of the movie mate, that's why it's mostly a mess when we reach the warm, liquid goo phase part of the movie.
>>
>>140029074
Yes, I remember that. Did you mean to reply to me?
>>
>>140029013
You are being absurd and you know it.
It's not an urge to shut up the baby.
But you are annoyed because you can't.
It's not an urge to change the show.
But you are angry that it didn't go differently.
>>
>>140025610
I would have gotten inside Misato.
>>
>>140029145
>he's running the whole show by the end of the movie mate

Yeah that's why he has no clue what is going on. Because he's running the reigns.
>>
>>140029092
>In the final movies he does nothing at all.
Did you even see the fucking movie?
>>
>>140029198
Yep. And asuka does a lot more than shinji does.

>but the show explained that shinji was the reason that everything was goo

Yeah anon, see, he still didn't really do anything. For the same reason that somebody accidentally tripping on a mine and blowing it up doesn't really do anything.
>>
>>140029249

If you mean by more, you mean get fucking wrecked? She accomplished nothing except looking cool for a little while, Shinji fucked everyone plans up by being the guy controlling the whole event.
>>
>>140029249
It wasn't an accident, he caused the whole thing. And he ended the whole thing.
>Yep. And asuka does a lot more than shinji does.
What on earth did Asuka do? Be a plaything for the Eva series?
>>
>>140029319
>you mean get fucking wrecked

She also gets fucking wrecked, yes.

>>140029350
>he caused the whole thing

Yes anon, it was his plan the whole time. The limp dragging that Misato had to do was all a ruse. Shinji was merely pretending to be retarded.
>>
File: smearframes.jpg (252 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
smearframes.jpg
252 KB, 720x540
>>140028432

Which is just Nerve bullshitting that they stuck a kid's mom into an EVA.

Toji's raising his sister but they never go into if his mother got zapped in a contact experiment like Asuka and Shinji.

>>140028577
>Beautiful and intelligent women
>a pedophile
>lesbian
>autist who only becomes a full free agent by the end of EoE
>belligerent bitch who commits the first compassionate action in her entire life in the last 30 seconds of the movie

Man, I consider myself closer to "team Red" because struggling with delusion and ego born out of coping is more relatable than a Tabula-Rasa In-Progress. Rei is ironically the most stable and good person on the team, but developing a self worth at 14 with so little baggage doesn't seem realistic to me. I wouldn't go for any of the women in this show unless they've been through the Tang and can't really bullshit themselves about their problems.

>>140028929
He's not completely blameless, he does have growing up to do, but its just the combination of being socially off-kilter throughout his childhood and being thrust through this situation that makes it impossible for him to mature properly.

My favorite thing about the series is that its basically Third Impact that forces them all together and gives them no room to hide their issues from each other and themselves, that you need to be "Impacted" by something that shatters you to the core to get you to reevaluate how you view yourself.

>>140029249
Asuka's reunion with her mother is wonderful, her being able to feel pride from her actual mother instead of her own ego is cathartic as fuck. People are gonna go "JOBBERS XD" but she really was only buying time while Yui woke up and Shinji got thrown into the reigns.
>>
>>140025610
Considering I signed up to go fight in the sandbox only like, what 2 years older than shinji?
Fuck yea I'd get in the robot.
>>
>>140029408
Did you stop the movie when Misato was dragging him?
That's the only logical explanation for the shit you are spewing.
>>
>>140029449
>signed up to go fight in the sandbox
Should I know what this means?
>>
>>140029504
Did you?

Him being in the robot when the shit hit the fan was more like him being the key that unlocked that door, than him actually opening the door.

He even looks completely confused the whole time the shenanigans were happening.
>>
>>140029555
Probably some military bullcrap. Soldiers are always retarded so pay no mind.
>>
File: Yummy.webm (320 KB, 480x256) Image search: [Google]
Yummy.webm
320 KB, 480x256
>>140028713
Eva angels are cute.

The only scary ones are the non-humanoid ones, though.
>>
>>140029571
Oh yeah, a key that consciously decided the fate of humanity.
Nothing at all.
>>
>>140029571

Nigga Asuka holds her own for a time, but he was at the reigns of the HIP.

He didn't know how to hold the damn things, but he had far more command over the situation than Asuka.
>>
>>140029646
>consciously

Yeah, where he just wanted to run away AGAIN.

>>140029648
>he had far more command

He didn't even know what was happening let alone had any command. He had to have shit explained to him info-dump style by Rei before he had any idea what was going on, and then he STILL wanted to run away.
>>
>>140025610

Obviously yes. The alternative seems to be death.

Embrace it.

With great power bla bla responsibility bla.
Also Asuka best girl.
>>
>>140029700
>Yeah, where he just wanted to run away AGAIN.
Yet he didn't and made probably the toughest choice in human history.
>>
IT'S ONLY LOOOOVE
>>
>>140029774
>made probably the toughest choice in human history

Didn't seem that tough to him. His choice WAS running away.
>>
File: 1453498633846.jpg (155 KB, 599x819) Image search: [Google]
1453498633846.jpg
155 KB, 599x819
Yes, I'd be stoked.

But somewhere around the general amount of neglect they have for their pilots, the actual pain that comes with fighting inside a giant mechanized organic robot, and the eventual conclusion to all of this. No. God no.

I get some people have a sense of honor and a willingness to fight for a cause, and to them I have respect, but I doubt I could carry the burden of "being the last line of humanity" at the age Shinji was.
>>
>>140029931
>Didn't seem that tough to him
Badass.
> His choice WAS running away.
How your mind can distort what actually happened this much is beyond me.
He decided on a world that people could get hurt.
>>
>>140025610
I don't know, assuming I don't inow Asuka will be around. It doesn't matter because it's just a hypothetical, one that these threads have entertained tim eand again. Plus I'm stuck in this lamentable reality where nothing ever happens and you're supposed to be appreciate the fact you can wageslave until you die. Life is a gift :^)
>>
>>140029634
I didn't really pay much attention to this scene while watching the movie, but now looking at it this scene is pretty ridiculous.

That thing is huge. Keep in mind that Evas are pretty big already and it's much much taller than that. Imagine seeing it from below as a normal person. Plus it extends just like that.
It's hard to describe, but I feel like NGE was rarely that cartoonish. One scene that I can remember is when Shinji's eyes almost popped out when staring into Asuka's cleavage, but that was only for visual comedy. This scene affects the plot and it feels pretty random.
>>
>>140030885
Now that you mention it, yeah. That size, that speed would have blown eva away before even touching it.
>>
>>140025610
14 year old me would be just as hesitant as he was. After the fight though I'd be incredibly pissed at not having been brought in earlier for training of any kind when two other pilots had the luxury of training for over a decade. I'd wouldn't trust anyone there, that's for damn sure.
>>
Not unless they threatened to kill me, in which case I'd just do my best to stay out of Sachiel's way.
>>
14 year old me would piss his pants and probably only stand one fight or two.
>>
>>140025610
I'd pilot it and then when the times comes I'd betray humanity and run away with Kaworu
>>
At the age of 14, probably. Now never.
Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.