[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Death Note a smart anime? Criteria: 1. How smart are the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: mind game tennis.jpg (44 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mind game tennis.jpg
44 KB, 1280x720
Is Death Note a smart anime?

Criteria:
1. How smart are the keikakus?
2. How smart is it on a thematic level?e
>>
Smart? lmao, no.

Entertaining? Yeah.
>>
I don't know, can you repeat the question?
>>
potato chips
>>
>>140019803
asspull: the anime

but it's fun.
>>
no, it's literally for 12 year olds
>>
File: v-starter.jpg (168 KB, 961x654) Image search: [Google]
v-starter.jpg
168 KB, 961x654
>>140019803
>Death Note
>>
>>140020959
>EVA is pretentious

it's true tho. Same with every anime that dabbles in politics, morale, and philosophy.
>>
>>140019803
If the definition of being smart is "the watcher can't predict what will happen" then it stops being smart or fun when Light decides not to kill L using shinigami because of his ego. And after L's death it goes completely downhill.
>>
>>140019803
It's about as smart as BBC's Sherlock, which is to say not at all. As some copypasta stated it does not feel like an intelligent person wrote an intelligent character (see: the Sherlock Holmes novel, where the mysteries and the steps Sherlock takes to sove them make perfect sense). It feels like intelligent characters written by a stupid person to whom intelligent people are indistinguishable from wizards.

The biggest asspull of the series is probably from the very start: a bunch of prisoners and criminals die of heart attacks and L instantly concludes that rather than some strange virus or whatever it's a murderer who somehow causes heart attacks from a distance, a distance so great that he had already planned a fake news report to be broadcast all over Japan (albeit at different times for different regions).

That doesn't stop it from being entertaining, it's just not smart. It's has pretenses of being smart that are very easily punctured through.
>>
>>140019803
1 no
2 no
>>
>>140021363
>see: the Sherlock Holmes novel, where the mysteries and the steps Sherlock takes to sove them make perfect sense
Sherlock Holmes is not a good example, since he is always portrayed as a fucking wizard or something who magically figures everything out.

Try mystery that is actually solvable, like some Christie novel.
>>
>>140021363
He used statistics and the pattern of the deaths didn't match that of an ordinary epidemic.
What about this doesn't make sense? If it's not an epidemic, then it's bound to be homicide.
>>
>>140019803
1. Smart, but it's really hard to believe that Light can come up with such a plan in a short amount of time, I just can't take his character seriously.

2. It's not thematically smart at all.
>>
>>140019803
What does being thematically smart mean? Is it like, delving into the philosophy of the show? This is a shonen, it usually doesn't bring much to the table in that department.
>>
>>140021549
>>140021505
It makes you wonder whether mass-killing criminals to achieve world peace is good or bad, but that is more a meta-theme.
>>
>>140021499
This. I feel like the writing of Death Note does quite a bit to cover all bases.
>>
>>140021635
I think it's fine that the manga doesn't provide a clear cut answer. There isn't one anyways. But I wish we were provided more information about the state of society under Kira's reign. Criminals that turned out to be innocent, everyone panicking/keeping a low profile at all times because of delators, corrupt police officer and magistrates using Kira for their own ends, legislative power becoming the highest authority in every government, etc. The manga never adresses this.
>>
>>140021891
The creator said that he didn't want his manga to have any social or political commentary, which is why I suppose he never gets in-depth into these issues.
>>
>>140021974
Then he shouldn't have made his manga on such a theme in the first place. Hell this whole manga is based on Light's social commentary.
>>
File: file.png (1 MB, 800x1132) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1 MB, 800x1132
Don't wanna create a new thread to ask and they're both popular shit so I'm just gonna ask here.

What's the deal with Arise? I just downloaded a torrent because I never really got into Ghost in the Shell. The movies or series. Is this a sequel to the first 2 films? Is this a sequel to the series? Not sure where this lies. Just downloaded a 25GB file that has the four Arise eps and Gits Arise Logicoma Beat.
>>
>>140019803
Light get through the end due to deus ex machina and asspulls, so no.
>>
I thought of buying the whole series on dvd along with gits:SAC, but the giant SHONEN JUMP logo on it made it seem like it was for children or possibly censored to hell.
>>
>>140020959
So I have to watch NNB or Keion to fit in your precious little clique?

Fuck off, retard.
>>
>>140020959
don't forget to add one punch man
>>
File: death note.png (69 KB, 800x1051) Image search: [Google]
death note.png
69 KB, 800x1051
>>140020915
>>
It's good up until the end of the FBI arc.
>>
>>140020959
Wow I haven;t even watched all of those yet
>>
>>140020959
>no KLK

>>140024700
>"I am retarded"
>>
File: 1459221419678.jpg (65 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
1459221419678.jpg
65 KB, 403x403
>>140024512
>responding seriously to a bait image
>>
So what is the smartest anime/manga from a keikaku standpoint?
>>
>>140026317
Maybe Liar Game, but I haven't thought too much about the potential holes in the keikakus. They feel pretty water-tight because the author can set the rules of the games to match the keikakus.
>>
>>140024818
It's shit and the episode with the female FBI agent is the only good one of the show.
>>
>>140021363
>The biggest asspull of the series is probably from the very start: a bunch of prisoners and criminals die of heart attacks and L instantly concludes that rather than some strange virus or whatever it's a murderer who somehow causes heart attacks from a distance
It wasn't some random set of criminals, it was the most notorious set of criminals and crime lords all dying at once on the same day. Everybody thought something was up, not just L.

L just had a way of (a) verifying his theory that it was a targeted attack, and (b) how to already narrow down the list of suspects.

There are a lot of asspulls to complain about in Death Note but L's investigating the murders and the broadcast were definitely that of a smart person.
>>
>>140022063
You can totally make a good guy vs bad guy story without going into social and political commentary.
>>
>>140026887
Also the broadcast stunt only would've worked for L because L would've been the only one to consider putting out live human bait to be killed on air on live TV.

A normal cop or politician would've never thought of that.
>>
>>140019803
keikakus are keikakus you cant judge them
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.