[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vertical Licensing Survey
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 251
Thread images: 17
File: Vertical.jpg (30 KB, 450x378) Image search: [Google]
Vertical.jpg
30 KB, 450x378
So Vertical is doing their licensing survey.
If you want them to pick anything up now is your chance.

http://vertical-inc.tumblr.com/post/142635773511/2016-licensing-survey

On a side note I asked for:
Manga:
- The Voynich Hotel
- Dungeon Meshi
- 3-gatsu no Lion

Light Novel:
- Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
>>
>asking for things that are already translated

I wish people would vote for untranslated stuff, but then again, it makes sense that they wouldn't know about untranslated series.
>>
>>139997204
Well
I really like to own them in a language I can read.

And than on another side
- No one does 3-gatsu no Lion
- Hai to Gensou no Grimgar is at novel 3 with a really slow translation pacing
>>
What LNs should I pick? There's only one I can think of that I'm interested in.
>>
I picked Voynich Hotel, Spirit Circle and Aizawa-san multiplies for manga and Evil God Average for LN.

I don't care if 3/4 are finished, I just want to own them and I want to read them again eventually.
>>
>>139997533
Grimgar isn't that slow.
Maybe a volume in half a year including breaks in between?
But I'd want it licensed too since it'd probably still be faster in the long run and have more chances of actually being complete.
>>
>>139998003
Though this is the 2017 line up so they'd probably only catch up to what's *currently* translated in 2 years at best.
The LN scene sure is suffering.
>>
LN's I picked

Hai to gensou no grimgar
Konosuba
Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria

Not really interested in buying manga so I'll just pick stuff from this thread at random
>>
>>139998094
Well and I can already see it how in 2 years no one will do the fan translation even if it won't get licensed.
>>
Why would I vote for more things to be removed from BT?
>>
Picked Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, Voynich Hotel, and Bonnouji for manga and Phenomeno for LN.

I hope the sales of to the Abandoned Sacred Beasts will be decent so Dusk Maiden of Amnesia has a better chance.
>>
>>139998190
You realize it's only 1 LN, right?
>>
>>139998526
Well you can still read it on other sites.
>>
>people asking for already translated or being translated shit
Kill yourselves.
>>
>>139998792
There's little to no chance otherwise.
I asked for the Trails in the Sky's manga and sequel, since translations for that stopped after the first 4 chapters some years ago and the games are amazing, but like that'd ever happen.
>>
>>139998792
Seriously
>>
I only asked for selector infected wixoss Re/verse. I know it's never happening but I can dream.
>>
All the manga I read raw are too long, too old, or published by a different company.
>>
File: wtf.png (15 KB, 488x496) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
15 KB, 488x496
What the fuck?
Also I've never heard of these guys before
>>
I hope they do translations correctly for anything they pick up.

Way too many companies are sloppy as fuck and get away with it.
Poor quality translations are horrible to find.
>>
>>139999304
I think they marketing Gundam the Origin on /m/ a lot.
>>
>>139999304
They have done Kizumonogatari.
>>
>>139999304
I found it funny that 4chan but not reddit was in the list.
>>
>>139999312
Their editing is sloppy as fuck, though.
>>
Going to ask for Glass Mask and maybe 7 Seeds.

What should my third option be? I feel like it should be something classical like Leiji Matsumoto's The Cockpit but I wonder if they'll ever do Galaxy Express 999, I know it was previously released in English but I'm not so sure how difficult the rights are for Vertical to obtain.

A nice 3-1 omnibus would be great for Galaxy Express 999
>>
>Gundam Thunderbolt isn't a viable choice due to being published by Shogakukan

Damn.
>>
>>139999446
Enough people don't give a shit.
There are so many people who are satisfied with machine translations + made up story nowadays I would not be surprised if companies start doing that to save time and make money without effort.
>>
I only care about the LN section. Any suggestions for what to put for manga?
>>
>start filling survey with intention of requesting an untranslated series from the 80s
>no pre-2006 series
Fuck

>check publisher
>shogakukan
Double fuck
>>
>>139999510
>must not be published before 2006
>>
Oh great, it's another survey of "people don't read the fucking rules about which publishers are not available" and "Ed ignores everything he doesn't personally like."
>>
>>139997009
>No titles that launched before 2006
;_;
>>
>>139999623

Now this is going to be difficult.

Oh well, picked the R.O.D light novels because of my waifu's series, I'm drawing blanks here for what to put for manga. Might just go for Voynich Hotel and two other things.
>>
We have so many capable translators on /a/ you would think people would prefer them and buy the Japanese volumes to support the authors.

>buying something poorly translated on shitty paper just to have a physical copy
>>
I just want the rest of the Monogatari series.

I'm sure they're considering it after Kizu, but still
>>
>>139999886
They already announced bake, split into 3 books first one releases on december if I remember correctly.
>>
>>139999886
They are comming
Bakemono is comming december.
>>
>>139999764

I was going to put down Hyouge Mono then saw it was from 2005 and around 20 or so volumes. Yokohama Kaidashi would be great to own in English.
>>
What's a license rescue?
>>
>>139999976
>>140000008
Shit, really? Got a link?

December's too far, though. At this pace, I can't even imagine when we'd get through the rest of the books
>>
>>139999764

Ed hates YKK, literally never ever.
>>
>>140000109
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-02-13/vertical-licenses-nisioisin-bakemonogatari-novels/.98646
>>
>>140000109
Try google
>>
>>140000069
IIRC, a series that was picked up but dropped, unfinished, in the West.

Think Kodomo No Jikan
>>
would onani master kurosawa be an acceptable pick for manga
>>
>>140000069
Series that got picked up but dropped or in case of Tokyopop could not get finished since the publisher went went bankrupt.
>>
>>139999879
Yeah but we have to convince them they like a series enough to do it. Whenever I see Vertical surveys I think 'oh boy classics nobody would care about until they're translated', so this one's a waste of time really.

I hope light novel people get something they want. Those are twice as hard to get someone to translate because more words.
>>
I don't read LN's but I'm going to mass vote and pick whatever LN's popular on online translations sites to piss you machine translations shit eaters off.
>>
>>139997009
>4chan as an option for how you get your news
Are we really a relevant market for them?
>>
>Vertical is trying to distance themselves away from "the publisher who publishes classic manga and great modern manga" to "just another publisher who pushes shit out"

RIP.
>>
>>139999879
LN's are never good enough to be spent money on.

Also the LN translators are bitches who get scared of DCMA's when people who do manga always get away from it.

Let's not go on and lie about the quality of the translations too, only guys who are pretty good are Sky and Js06.
>>
>>139999304
They've done Gundam The Origin, Kizumono, Seki-kun, Chi's Sweet Home, and a bunch of other one-shots. They're also attempting to do Nichijou but a lot of the first volume was a miss.

Anyway, for my 4 manga I chose:
>Gundam Build Fighters Amazing
>C3-bu
>K-On!

And my LN/YAN:
>Hyouka

It sucks they only allowed one LN/YAN for the survey, because I imagine there's a lot more untranslated series that people are dying for versus untranslated manga series. The English LN market consists most entirely of chart-topper shonens and Spice and Wolf.
>>
>>139997009
do I need to be an amerillard for this
>>
My personal list:
>>
Okay, I've got Voynich Hotel and Sabagebu! as my two choices so far, what should be my third? I was thinking of Saki, Fuane no Tane, or Flying Witch.
>>
>>140000378
Pick Grimgar then.
Honestly, Grimgar has one of the best translations (read: editing jobs) I have seen in LNs. HakoMari's is a bit better but about the same. Compared to most fantranslations it's a god send. Though I have only really read one official translation and that was Progressive by Yen Press and it didn't feel that great (bit too localized), still better than most fan translated stuff though.
Though I have seen people point out that its translation (Grimgar's) might not be the most accurate (and the editors and translators for it like to write a lot of random fanfic stuff, and while that reads well too, it says something).
>>
>try to think of a series
>it's 10+ volumes and ongoing
>it's pre-2006
>it's from one of their blacklisted publishers
>give up
>>
Professional translations > Fan translations

This will always be a fact and the only complaint fags can come up with is muh localised words.
>>
>>139997009
>caring about this
There's no point to physical books if you have digital access, and there's basically no chance they'll pick up whatever random unscanlated thing one person lists.
>>
>>140000136
How can anyone hate YKK?
There's nothing to hate.
>>
>>140000882
But I like owning books.
>>
>>139998618
>I hope the sales of to the Abandoned Sacred Beasts will be decent so Dusk Maiden of Amnesia has a better chance.
Amnesia is published by Square Enix, so only Yen Press can license it unless they make a big exception.
>>
>>140000866
Nigger, in anime/manga the overlap between the two alone is enough to make it a case-by-case thing.
>>
>>139997009
>licensing survey
>tumblr
How about no.
>>
>>140000882
Good thing we no longer live in the dark ages and things like ebooks exist!
>>
Vertical is shit nowadays anyway, and they'll just ignore most of what gets suggested because they're out of touch with readerships and think it won't sell (obviously).
>>
>>140001008
It's on surveymonkey though.
>>
>>140001008
>a-am I fitting in yet guise?
>>
>>140000702
K-On was already translated and brought to the West, though
>>
>>140001081
They could've just add one php page to their own website instead of using shit tier service. Fuck these lazy bastards.

>>140001082
Are you one of these who thinks Facebook is better option for any business than having actual website.
>>
>>140001197
Welp, I guess my entire list is invalidated because Vertial is going to throw out entire surveys that miss even one beat on their list of exclusions.

I'll never get Hyouka at this rate.
>>
I would've asked for Fate/Zero, but the fact that it hasn't been licensed yet makes me think there's some problem with licensing.

Manga:
Yuru Yuri
Crime Edge
Yuyushiki
LN:
GATE
>>
>>140000706
No
I am also living in europ and since you can buy their shit on amazon they should not give a fuck.
>>
Voynich Hotel
Bungo Stray Dogs
Spirit Circle

Tokyo Ravens
>>
>>140001008
Well I wanted to link to surveymonkey but 4chan said my post was spam.
So here you go with tumblr.
>>
Fuck, I should've picked el melloi II case files for the LN
>>
>At least 3 LNs I'd like to see translated
>Can only put one

I get that it's more work, but that's still disappointing.
>>
My choices so far:
Voynich Hotel
Sabagebu!
Showa Genroku Rakugo

LN:
Not sure if I should add Read or Die or maybe go with Jinrui or Dantalian no Shoka. I'll probably flip a coin for this.
>>
>>140001583
>I'll probably flip a coin for this
You have a three-sided coin?
>>
>>140000706
Just, like, I know this might sound weird but just lie, you know?
>>
>>140001690

Process of elimination, Read or Die ended up winning anyway.
>>
>>139997009
>4chan in the where do you get your news
>>
>only 1 LN
Fuck. I want like 10.
>>
I picked this for manga
>>
>>139997204
>>139998003
Grimgar's translation project has a terrible editor unfortunately. If I'm going to wait a year to read a whole volume anyway, I'd rather wait for Vertical.
>>
>>140002402
Holyland (https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=1629 )

Jisatsutou (Suicide Island) (https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=38105 )

Darwin's Game (https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=88357 )
>>
>>139999879
western books have better paper retard
>>
>>140002454
Good job, only one of those counts.
>>
>faggots asking for licenses when there are perfectly good TL groups for stuff
Fucking stupid
>>
>>140002758
They aren't going to fucking pick up some obscure untranslated shit only five people outside of Japan know about.
>>
>>140002758
>perfectly good TL groups
>>
>cat manga is it's own catagory.
>>
>>140002856
Said obscure shit only five people outside of Japan know about is also not getting translated, so there's no problem there. I'm talking about idiots requesting licenses for popular stuff, or stuff that is airing.
>>
>>140002856
This, the odds of them picking up something that doesn't have TL groups already are next to 0.
>>
>>140002946
Yes, I understand. What I'm saying is that if you're not listing mildly well-known stuff (or lesser-known stuff by well-known mangaka or something like that) you're probably wasting your time. This isn't so much an opportunity to get more series translated as for buyfags to get more English physical stuff to own.
>>
>>140002946
So they shouldn't pick up anything then? Series that don't have translation groups are series literally no one knows about and 80% of the time they're shit.
>>
>>140003109
>and 80% of the time they're shit.

And that's not true of things that do have scanlation groups? Do you think good manga suddenly spring into existence when groups pick them up?
>>
>>140003207
No but good manga have better chances of being picked up by translation groups.
>>
I picked these comics
trash
broadway of the dead
dungeon meshi

I don't like light novels so I picked that spider one I've seen people talk about
>>
What is a YA novel?
>>
>>140003957
Yahoo Auctions
>>
>>140003957
Yellow Asians.
>>
>>140003992
>>140004023
Dammit guys.
>>
>>140003957
Yes, anon.
>>
>>140004067
Yuri Anal
>>
>Bakemono planned for a December release
Guess I finally have a reason not to kill myself before the year's end
>>
>>140004536
That's just book 1 senpai.
>>
>>140002758
As long as it makes you people mad I'll fully support it.
>>
>>140004585
Well so far we have the confirmation for only the first three novels. So I have st least until Feb 2017
>>
>>140004762
Hoping Nise gets an october 2017 release.
>>
>>140004812
That'd be real nice, but it'll probably be unconfirmed until Bake's sashes numbers are in. Kizu did well though, so that's hope-giving
>>
>>139997009
>>139997533
>3-gatsu no lion
> published by Hakusensha Inc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakusensha

>Hakusensha was founded on December 1, 1973 by Shueisha, but is now a separate company although still a part of the Hitotsubashi Group together with Shueisha and Shogakukan as one of the major members of the keiretsu.

>still a part of the Hitotsubashi Group together with Shueisha and Shogakukan

>Shueisha and Shogakukan
>>
>>139997009
I really don't know what to vote for so I voted for Magdala and am about to proxy vote for clockwork planet since with Hellping it seems to be >translations never. Also, that grimgarfag in this thread is fucking annoying. Stop begging people to vote for your shitty ln.
>>
>>140002758
I just want a physical release of my favorite manga.
>>
>>139998792
Some people want to actually own things and support the authors. It's odd, I know.

Plus as others have said, if people knew about untranslated stuff it'd probably be translated. If you can read it in Japanese why would you even want an English release? Seems silly to request stuff that you don't even know the quality of to be published, especially in a niche market.
>>
>>139999879
Western manga have higher quality paper than Japanese. Have you ever tried to compare them?
Japanese manga are basically printed on newspaper print, the quality is usually quite bad. That's why JP volumes are dirt cheap.
>>
File: alpha.jpg (124 KB, 756x1100) Image search: [Google]
alpha.jpg
124 KB, 756x1100
>>139999764
YKK deserves a loving, meticulous translation, not the sort of shit that these people churn out.
>>
>>140001070
>Kizumonogatari, licensed Bakemono
>Nichijou
>MGX
>Gundam Origin hardcovers
>Immortal Hounds
What the hell kind of standards do you have? I'd say they've been expanding very nicely.
>>
>>140000289
No, because it was never published. It's a doujinshi, and the guy doesn't want to sell rights to it for publication (either overseas or even to JP publishers).
>>
File: 15736024.jpg (1 MB, 800x1349) Image search: [Google]
15736024.jpg
1 MB, 800x1349
>No titles that launched before 2006
>No titles that are currently more than 10 volumes in length.
Motherfucker. Denyuuden will never be finished in English.
>>
>>140008667
Whatever happened to LOGH?
>>
File: kino.jpg (992 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
kino.jpg
992 KB, 1920x1080
>Note: Please do not submit titles that are currently more than 10 volumes in length.

There goes my hope of pushing for Kino no Tabi to be officially translated again.
>>
>>140009020
VIZ's novel imprint, Haikasoru started published it this year. Novel 2 is out next month, I believe.
>>
>>139998618
>Phenomeno for LN
Great taste anon, me too.

>no titles before 2006
Fuck you Vertical, just localize YKK already and stop being assholes about it.
>>
The Voynich Hotel hardcover release please?
More hardcover releases in general please
>>
> All these people are saying to support the author even though the sales are only a fraction of profit.
> The fact that the English versions are 2x or even 3x the original price and language in Japan.
> The fact that people are better off buying the original LNs and manga that is 1/2 or 1/3 the price using an English interface online store that gives more of the profit anyways to the author while you read the online translations but keep the original for support.
Why? That kills a lot of translations that are inherently better than the licensing release?
>>
>>140002885
> Not knowing the fuck happened to no game no life.
>>
Eh, why don't they finally license Kingdom? That may get some actual profit.
>>
>>140010235
Oh wait, they don't want to translate something over 10 volumes. Ok.
>>
>>139999879
Jap versions are usually worse quality. Sometimes smaller too.
>>
>>140000069
Something like Kannagi I guess.
>>
>>140009705
There's only two reasons for those repeating this throughout the thread.

1 - You're the group translating a LN and don't want it to be licensed because no one will care about you anymore.
2 - You're a group fanboy and have no fucking idea which translation will be better because you can't read Japanese and compare them.

Which one are you?
>>
>>140010401
Don't remind me.
>>
>>140010420
New chapter released yesterday though.
>>
>How do you get your vertical news?
>4chan is an option
What
>>
>>140010350
> Jap versions are usually worse quality
> worse quality
> quality
> Jap version
>>
>>140009705
Frankly, some series will never be finished, especially after all the publishers flipping out over BT several months ago. I'd just like to see an end.
>>
I would only ever even consider paying for digital versions if they let you download it.
>>
File: keisaiyoteihyou[1].jpg (216 KB, 800x663) Image search: [Google]
keisaiyoteihyou[1].jpg
216 KB, 800x663
>>140010500
Still has a crazy release schedule, and TL is behind.

I need to just buy more raws.
>>
>>140006462
Not the same publisher though, it's because Shueisha owns VIZ
>>
No titles that launched before 2006
No titles that are currently more than 10 volumes in length.

Fuck
>>
I found their version of Nichijou the other day. Not a bad translation at all.
>>
>>140010408
Not a translator and again, have you seen No Game No Life light novel?
>>
I asked for Zero for the manga. I'd love to see some Fukomoto works released over here.
Hope they'll translate the novel for Shinsekai yori.
>>
I've got Voynich and Rakugo down but can't think of a third
>>
>>140010648

Is there even hope for 7 Seeds getting released in the west? I'd buy it in a heartbeat, last I checked the Japanese sales it was doing decently, in the top 20, I'm surprised it hasn't even been considered yet for translation considering I think it would be incredibly popular. I'm guessing it's because it doesn't have an anime to help boost sales or interest which is why.

>That entire arc with Team Winter and the arc with the puppeteer
>>
>>140009101
Kadokawa bought controlling shares in Yen Press, so they'll be expanding their offering big time in the coming months. I'd suggest letting them know.

>>140009494
I'd kill for this, but Akita Shoten is really hard to work with, much less get approval for something of that calibur. You also need materials that would benefit such a release. Though Vertical is now able to work with Akita Shoten again.

>>140009705
Why not import and also buy localized stuff? Why not read scans to learn about new series, import what you really want to support, and buy localized releases for normal reading and enjoyment? Is that really so bad?

Also, the people pointing out price differences between markets is a moot point. Japanese publishing market is drastically different from that of the North American market. Distribution system is different, readership is WAY different. Japanese books are also printed on cheap paper stock and ink tones that bleed easily through pages. Most US publishers use thicker paper stock these days to help increase their shelf life and overall longevity. Most Japanese books are smaller than the US standard sizes, and cover are very cheap.

Just so you know, JP creators make a good amount from initial licensing fees through overseas contracts. They also get royalties. It's obviously not what they get paid in Japan, but that is still a sizeable chunk of revenue they get just for allowing it to be licensed and released outside of their country. That's extra money. There is absolutely no downside for them, as it is more money going to the creators.
>>
>>140010783

>Voynich and Rakugo
We've got similar taste, I put those two down and Sabagebu! as my final request.
>>
>>140010876
>Akita Shoten is really hard to work with, much less get approval for something of that calibur
Do you have a source on this? A bunch of Champion series have been licensed recently, I assumed the reason more haven't been is just that no one really gives a fuck about Champion.
>>
>>140010850
There's also the art, I think that turns off Western readers more because few people are used to older shoujo art.
>>
>>140010850
It's josei, and not really romance focused with a large cast and unusual setting. Plus it's 26 volumes and counting and has an older-looking artstyle (which I fucking love regardless). I doubt it's ever going to be released, which is a shame since I think it's a masterpiece.
>puppeteer arc
The sense of dread in that arc made me want to vomit, like a rock in my stomach the whole time I read it.
>>
File: v15_cover.jpg (73 KB, 352x500) Image search: [Google]
v15_cover.jpg
73 KB, 352x500
I've imported them all, and I'm still wishing for it to get licensed, but
>No titles that are currently more than 10 volumes in length.
I should give up.
>>
>>140011100
>>140010850
I think the series overall is pretty good, but yeah, the Ryugyu arc was one of the best things I've ever read.
>>
>Aria will never be rescued from Tokyopop hell
>>
>>140010876
Saw that news, but somehow never realized that Dengeki Bunko was owned by Kadokawa, guess there is hope after all.
>>
>Saint Oniisan is 12 volumes
Damn
>>
>>140011174
>>140011100

I like how the author knows when certain character's times are up and when to end them. None characters really overstay their own welcome and they all serve to at least do something important before they die.

Anyway I used up my LN request but I would really appreciate it if some anons could put down The Mystic Archives of Dantalian or Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita,, especially if you have no clue what to put down when you come to that section.

I think Rakugo has a very high chance of being licensed by Vertical, especially considering how popular it was last season.
>>
>>140011500
I was putting down Jintai anyway anon, hope it's enough.
With 7 seeds I think this arc is going the be the last one, since the cast have managed to almost meet up as one.
>>
>>140011644

>That entire arc with the school
Really one of the best things I've read in a manga, I also really need to read it again, last I remember they did something with a ship, Hana went all trippy and regressed back into a child or something but yeah, it feels like it definitely is reaching a climax soon.

>I was putting down Jintai anyway anon, hope it's enough.
Much appreciated

>>140011240

>Lupin the Third too

We're never getting Lupin manga in the west again, are we?
>>
>>140011240
Is the localization any good? I was thinking of buying Aqua and Aria, I didn't know they didn't finish localizing Aria.
>>
>>140011760
It's Tokyopop so no. They paid college students to do TLs
>>
>>140011240
Fucking Tokyopop.
>>
>>140011019
Akita Shoten didn't allow licensing after some stupid stuff between US publishers in the early 2010s. A few years went by without any licenses from them, but now Yen Press, Seven Seas, and VIZ have licensed from them recently. Vertical now can too.

As far as why they're hard to work with? Japanese business etiquette and their approach to licensing. They want their partners to be incredibly tight-lipped about releases and not say much else aside from what the title is and when it is released.

>>140011417
The mangaka doesn't want to license it to the US, though. She's worried about backlash from religious nutjubs, so you can blame this shitty country and all the Christian zealots for that one.
>>
>>140011741
>last I remember they did something with a ship, Hana went all trippy and regressed back into a child or something but yeah
You're a few volumes behind anon, everyone's gotten to Sado Island
>>
>>140011240
It's not a matter of rescuing it. Tokyopop lost that license years ago and it has long reverted back its original publisher. Problem is, Aria sold like shit when it was released here. Booksellers and distributors have access to that information, and they would refer to the sales history before ordering any units. Publishers aren't going to license a series that sold terribly before, so Aria is not likely to ever get a second chance. Sorry.
>>
>>140011741
The school was the weakest arc for me. Something about the test/battle royale setting just felt contrived to me compared to the rest of the manga where shit's basically driven by the natural situation and people's stressed impulses.
>>
>>140011921
>They want their partners to be incredibly tight-lipped about releases and not say much else aside from what the title is and when it is released.
Literally how does that make sense? I can't see how that accomplishes anything other than less advertising and therefore sales.
Either way, Voynich would be amazing but I hope at least something from this thread gets picked. I've been pretty happy with the quality of what Vertical's put out in general including a few series I used to translate, so hopefully the next license is something that deserves it.
>>
Anyone know who publishes Youjo Senki?
>>
>>140008791
Damn that sucks. I'd love to own a physical copy of it.
>>
>140010876>Japanese books are also printed on cheap paper stock and ink tones that bleed easily through pages. Most US publishers use thicker paper stock these days to help increase their shelf life and overall longevity. Most Japanese books are smaller than the US standard sizes, and cover are very cheap.

I imported a few tanks and generally I find them to be of slightly better quality than the English versions. The paper is slightly better, and you almost always get a glossy dust cover.

It's been getting better though, I find the print quality of most localized manga to about 2011 or so to be bad, sometimes appallingly so. A lot of stuff from that era was printed on the same pulpy paper they print paperback airport novels on, it goes yellow in a few years.
>>
>>140012354
It doesn't. But what the licensor says, the publisher must try to obey, lest you want to cause another rift. It's petty and nonsensical, but that's how it is.

Vertical and Yen have been my favorite pubs, as far as what they've been releasing in the last few years. They get a lot of my money, though I still import stuff when I can. Need to get caught up on Trash. and Tsugumomo tankoubons
>>
Does the publisher restriction also apply to light novels or just for manga?
>>
>>140012723
>The paper is slightly better
Not sure what you mean, since Japanese printers use high-pH level paper and cheap ink. You get lots of transfers and bleeding. Dust jackets are nice, but impractical. They rip and tear incredibly easily and wouldn't do well with US shipping and stocking practices. Distributors aren't well equipped for taking that delicate of care for their products.

> I find the print quality of most localized manga to about 2011 or so to be bad
Bingo. During the manga boom collapse, and right afterward, manga was in poor shape. CMX, Tokyopop, VIZ, Del Rey all used awful paper stock in their releases (VIZ still does for their cheaper books, which is why they can afford to sell them cheaper than anyone else). But man, I was in a comic shop last week and saw an old CMX copy of Tenjo Tenge. The paper was brittle, cracking, and falling apart on most of the pages. Scary stuff.

The industry is in better shape now, and publishers are taking more care for the quality of paper and cover stocks. Vertical works with one of the best printers in the business, and Yen Press has also worked with some good printers who experiment on nice pin-up foldouts.
>>
>>140012810
Still applies.
>>
>>140012987
>Vertical works with one of the best printers in the business
I don't know much about printing, but I did find it interesting that my English copies of Seki are somehow thinner than the Japanese ones. It's nice that it takes up less shelf space, usually it's the other way around.
>>
>>140013126
Not many people do. It's one of the less talked about and often ignored aspects of this industry. But yeah, really like the work they do. Their spot gloss and embossing techniques have gotten a lot better too.
>>
>>140012987
>Vertical works with one of the best printers in the business, and Yen Press has also worked with some good printers who experiment on nice pin-up foldouts.

I think they work with multiple printers. Nichijou was printed in Canada, everything else I have from Vertical is from the USA.
>>
I picked Bungou Stray Dogs and BokuMachi
>>
Dungeon Meshi, Ran to Haiiro no Sekai, Flying Witch

LN: Hyouka
>>
>forgot that Hyouka and Jinrui were light novels
>Didn't vote for them
I'm gonna have to proxy this now
>>
>>139999367
Vertical is made up of oldfags who lurk among us.
>>
>>140012514
Enterbrain
>>
>14. Do you use any digital manga services?

>MangaBox
>ComicWalker
>Pirate Sites

I want to know how many people fell into their trap.
>>
God damn, I had not realized so many manga and LNs had been translated. I was falling behind with keeping up with Yen press releases, but damn.
>>
>>140003957
Young Adult i think
>>
>>140015311
What trap?
>>
>>140015311
I clicked on everything.
Even other without giving an answer.
>>
I asked for a bunch of Fateshit, sorry /a/.
>>
>>140017285
Great, exactly what we needed.
>>
Hopefully there's a MTGfag at Vertical and they pick up Wizard's Soul.
>>
>Please take time to look up the publishers and launch dates

3rd rate company at it's best.
>>
>>140012810
I'm pretty sure they said it didn't on their twitter or somewhere else.
>>
>>140000702
I did Hyouka as well.
>>
>>140018091
You meant its, right?
>>
>>140007238
Clockwork Planet was my second choice, but it will probably be picked up anyway, no matter the results of the survey, when we get closer to the anime release.
>>
This thread gives me hope for Voynich Hotel.

>>140015311
I don't think I answered anything on that question because I didn't expect that option to be there.
>>
>>140017358
Why even bother replying if you have literally nothing to say? What are you even trying to say?
If someone else made her and he calls her OC then obviously he asked for her to be made. Are you saying this anon commissioned his own manga/anime/LN/VN series just to have his waifu?
What if he drew it? Then is he some shitty author who fawns over his own girls looking at you agematsu, that's probably an even bigger waste of time and money for something so menial.
Worse yet you could tell me he imagines a character onto a simple drawing, calls it his waifu and fantasizes over it and I'll just laugh then and consider traditional waifus superior any day.
All in all the idea is pathetic. I assume if any the animators at KroAni have waifus, they wouldn't be the girls they personally drew/wrote. In the past this leads to worst girls being born.
>>
>>140017285
so did I. My Chinese is terrible and I'm tired of reading the Chinese translations of Fate/Prototype
>>
>>140019637
I kekd.
>>
>>140000866
You know that some of the fan guys end up being 'professionals', and some actual professionals still work in scanlation.
>>
>>140015126
good for them

glad their Nichijou is topping the manga sales charts now
>>
Picking things at random probably isn't a hugely great idea. So I'll pick something from around here I guess.
>>
Any chance of Samura's new manga?

>>140010515
Well this thread is here isn't it? /a/ has enough disposable cash because they're neckbeard loners who have nothing or no one to spend it on.
>>
>>140011240
Apparently it sold really poorly.
>>
>>140017285
It's ok, I did too.

>Fate Extra
>Aiura (since scanlations are either slow or dead)
>Coffee Dream (by Nodame's author)

Went with Ginpachi sensei for LN.

>>140010515
/m/ is pretty much the reason why they even got Gundam origin.
>>
>>140017285
Which ones? As long as you didn't ask for the shitty FSN manga, you're cool.
>>
>>140010579
You can from most vendors. You're not 'supposed' to obviously.
>>
>>140021088
No wonder they love us.
>>
>>139999764

When I saw that I just closed the survey, only reason I was going to do it was to vote for YKK.
>>
>>140021152
Maybe they'll pick it up in the future.
>>
>>140011240
>>140011741
The rights for Lupin is still with TP, right?
I really hate how companies can just hold on to the rights even when they're doing nothing with it.
>>
>>140021152
YKK has been personally denied before.
>>
>Voynich Hotel

Never ever. Not even sure why you'd bother asking, it's not the type of stuff that Vertical would print anyway and it has a small fanbase.
>>
>>140021551
But the low potential demand means licensing fees could be negotiated to be cheaper. And it being only like 3 volumes mean they don't have to worry about poor sales for later volumes.

I_want_to_believe.jpg
>>
I've put Youjo Senki for the LN section.

Shin Kamen Rider Spirits, Mahou Tsukai mo Yome and Flying Witch for the manga section.
>>
>>140021675
>Mahou Tsukai mo Yome
Already taken by 7 seas.

Do you all never check the shit you put?
>>
>>140021581
> 3 volumes

Holy shit I never realized it had such a small amount of volumes. This incresses the possability of it getting licensed.
>>
>>140000439
Haven't they been doing that for a couple years now?
I wonder if they can even still get manga from Usamaru Furuya or Asumiko Nakamura.
>>
I think Dungeon Meshi is the only series I'd vote for, there's almost nothing that can even fit Vertical's requirement requests anymore.

>>140010850
If the American manga industry was still like the early 2000s when publishers like Viz were willing to do 20-volume shojo series it probably could have happened.
>>
These are what I submitted:

1. Majestic Prince (Rando Ayamine manga)

2. Infinite Stratos
>>
Hardcover Dungeon Meshi
>>
Went with Dungeon Meshi, Coffee Time and Wet Moon.
>>
>>140023156
>Coffee Time
Nice taste.
>>
>>140023123
Would be nice, probably won't happen.
>>
>>140023168
I didn't realize it was only published in 2008, and they seem to like doing food manga so it was worth a shot.
>>
>>139999879
Authors don't need your support, translators do.
A less than 100 of purchases won't make a difference for an author.

However, were I getting at least 100 bucks a volume, I'd fucking quit my job.
(I'm obviously not from a first world country)
>>
>>140025323
So it's true, scanlator drama are started by ESL fags and girls with more ego than sense.
>>
>>140025465
>ESL fags and girls with more ego than sense.
Who are the only moonfags translating and scanlating most niche series, you ungrateful fuck.
>>
>>140025503
Thank goodness I learned moon ages ago so I can just laugh at you fags pretending to be important with your mangled translations.
>>
File: 1429970093796.png (821 KB, 1330x1080) Image search: [Google]
1429970093796.png
821 KB, 1330x1080
>>140025565
>an attention whore with a superiority complex who bitches about the work of others while being a slothful retarded non-contributory fuck
>>
>>140015311
Shit, I always thought ComicWalker was an official service which had the ocasional free series since there's things there that aren't anywhere else/I could find scanlator websites for the series. Well then.
>>
>>140025739
Which part of that post implies otherwise?
>>
>>140025323
If you are actually a competent translator, you can make a better living by working for international companies instead. They need people to you know, deal with their offshore branches. And if you aren't a complete autist neckbeard, the pay can be pretty damn good. Also, of often you just need a like a diploma to complement with it. Even an arts degree can get you through to an entry level admin position translating documents.

So if you're relying on translations of chink comics to make money, you're doing it wrong.

Also, it's rubbish to say authors don't need support.

>>140025639
He's not wrong though. For some reason, the ones most likely to TL manga tend to be people who either aren't very good at English or only have intermediate understanding of Japanese, or worst case scenario, both.
>>
>>140025803
I thought MangaBox was something like MangaFox, and pirate sites are there so I thought they were all in the same illegal vein.
I honestly have no idea about any of these, I only use goddess for my manga.
>>
>>140025861
Everything other than pirate sites is legit.
>>
>>140025639
>non-contributory
>slothful
Wow, you really are up your own ass. It's a hobby, you aren't obliged squat. I learn moon for my own purpose. I don't owe you EOPs any damn thing.

Funny how you dare to call others on being attention whore when you fags are the ones who are quick to whine about little things like other groups snatching you projects or your releases being uploaded elsewhere. And if you actually want to talk about contributing, at least learn proper moon instead of fucking up translations.
>>
File: 1399868863894.png (383 KB, 821x715) Image search: [Google]
1399868863894.png
383 KB, 821x715
>>140025922
Now that's what I call blogging.
>>
File: 1358820767530.png (176 KB, 503x421) Image search: [Google]
1358820767530.png
176 KB, 503x421
>>140026041
>white background
>can't retort with anything other than a dumb comment and smug anime girl
>>
>>140026142
>lack of self awareness has actually attained metaphysical levels
>somehow this does not stop them falling for the same trick again and again because they are this butthurt
It genuinely suprises me that you are so stupid that you aren't even fun to toy with.
>>
>>139997009
What's the point. I've been asking for Shinsekai yori novel for years now and nothing.
>>
>>140025565
Good for you, maybe you can teach us some.
>>
I'm going to vote for Violet Evergarden
even if it'll lose
>>
>>140020293
New York Times Bestseller Nichijou has a nice ring to it.

They deserve it, 10/10 translation.
>>
Fukushuu Kyoushitsu, Abnormal-kei Joshi, Gakkou Gurashi!
Oww the edge.
>>
>>140030781
>Gakkou Gurashi

You're a fucking retard.
>>
>>140030894
Nothing of these three will win, diejoubu. And koreashit deserves to burn,
>>
>>140030972
Gakkou Gurashi is already licensed.
>>
I put Dungeon Meshi, Flying Witch, and Kabocha no Bouken (Igarashi Daisuke's cat manga).
I just want them to do another deluxe release like Gundam: The Origin. If they're down for doing /m/shit again, maybe Kamen Rider Spirits?
>>
>>140031001
Oh, well then I'm a retard, yes. It hasn't been nuked anywhere, I didn't check.
>>
File: 1452807784664.jpg (15 KB, 234x204) Image search: [Google]
1452807784664.jpg
15 KB, 234x204
>>140015126
>oldfags
>4Chan
Thread replies: 251
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.