[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Call me a pretentious hipster but I just want more avant garde,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: Belladonna.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1485) Image search: [Google]
Belladonna.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1485
Call me a pretentious hipster but I just want more avant garde, weird, artsy, surreal (or whatever you call them) anime like this. Just shit like Belladonna, Angel's Egg, Eva, Perfect Blue, Utena, Lain, FLCL, Kaiba, Casshern Sins, Tatami Galaxy or Kyousougiga.

I know it's all about about popularity. But I don't really get why those shows aren't popular. They aren'r really dense or boring, they usually have as much entertainment as artistic value. They sure as hell are easy on the eyes, I mean I can't imagine that people were pulled off by the aesthetics of these works.

I mean let's just take Tatami Galaxy. It can appeal to anybody, it has good humor, fun characters and lots of dumb situations. It's not like it's all just high-brow, it's a work that mainly speaks to the emotions, not to the intelect. So what is actually the problem?
>>
>>139982737
I find Tatami Galaxy aesthetics to be ugly and the humor and dialog to be extremely obnoxious.
I usually try not to shitpost about it, but I'm trying to point out that no, it can't appeal to anybody.
>>
>>139982969
Just wondering then, what kind of anime do appeal to you aesthetically?
>>
>>139982969
manual viewer detected
>>
File: 1420504136395.jpg (57 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1420504136395.jpg
57 KB, 1280x720
>>139982969
>>
>>139983513
Just from your list I can say Casshern, Lain and Utena are really pretty.
>>
>>139982737
watch Kuuchuu Buranko then other wise known as trapeze

and as >>139982969 has pointed out you are making assumptions. I enjoyed many of the titles you referenced, but normal casual viewers would find them boring or uninteresting
>>
>>139982737
You don't like Monogatari anon?
>>
>>139983800
I agree with OP, and I don't particularly.
>>
>>139983874
How about xxxholic?
>>
Google some episodes of まんが世界昔ばなし (Manga Sekai Mukashi Banashi, '76-'79). Many old Madhouse people doing more or less surreal interpretations of fairy tales in 70s anime fashion in a way that would probably appeal to your Belladonna side. It's elusive but generally the episodes available are handpicked good eps. 炎の馬 from Dezaki and Kawajiri is pretty famous. Still airing Folktales from Japan is its successor but I haven't seen much of it.
>>
watch cartoons if you like that sort of shit artstyle
>>
>>139984050
I don't like the the long characters, but it's fine.
>>
>>139982737
>So what is actually the problem?
Artsy, avant-garde works are unpopular almost by definition. Why does this confuse you?

Ang Angel's Egg was incredibly boring. There was nothing but aesthetics to like about it, and I didn't.
>>
>>139984968
>manual viewer
>>
>>139984989
As opposed to what? Automatic viewing?
>>
>>139982737
>Call me a pretentious hipster but
Just because you realise your tastes are pretentious doesn't let you off the hook
>>
>>139982737
>But I don't really get why those shows aren't popular

Nips mostly just want more generic fapbait and waifus. They don't give a fuck about actual storytelling or visual experiences. They are literal manchildren with the most common of desires in their media, so the anime that's produced appeals to those desires in an effort to be profitable. Anime is business, after all. That's why generic ecchi haremshit like Monogatari is considered artsy and different despite being nearly identical to all other ecchi haremshit in actual substance and delivery.

More than that, most of the shows you posted are just straight up boring to most people, even if you enjoyed them. Avant-garde and "out there" shows are always going to be fringe and unpopular because that's what makes them what they are. If they were the widely popular norm then they wouldn't be avant-garde.
>>
File: xxxholic06_c01_02-03.jpg (467 KB, 1749x1250) Image search: [Google]
xxxholic06_c01_02-03.jpg
467 KB, 1749x1250
>>139983711
They are Anon, all of them in my opinion combine surreal visual elements but in a more visually appealing package in the standard way. Besically they are unique and weird but also beautiful. Though I guess Lain might be more on the "weird" than the "pretty" side.
>>139983800
I do to a degree, but I think I kind of got tired of the franchise in the end. I was really invested when it started out about five years ago but as time went by I just felt that for it's quantity it didn't really provide that much variety. I think in the end I prefer a more concise work. In the end overall I was pleased more with Katanagatari. Besides the aspects I mentioned it was also pretty unique in terms of character designs which is a thing I always enjoy.
>>139983731
Thanks I have seen it and liked it a lot (just Mononoke more).
>normal casual viewers would find them boring or uninteresting
You're right, I guess it's just an attitude I would find hard to emphasize with.
>>139984050
I liked it more in manga form, even though animation is the default medium of choice for me. The manga had some beautiful artwork even though I'm not a fan of most other Clamp works, but the anime just plain didn't look as good. It was sort of a dissapointment when you compare it to stuff like pic related.

Also, Yuuko is my waifu.
>>139984083
Didn't try to make this a recommendation thread but thanks a lot anyways. Haven't heard of it and will gladly try it out.
>>139984163
If you mean non-japanese animation then yes, of course I watch it. If someone is a fan of the medium and is limiting himself to works from one country then he's really missing out.
>>
>>139983800
Monogatari looks like shit.

>i can fap to it
Shut up
>>
>>139985224
>Nips mostly just want more generic fapbait and waifus.
But it just seems to be that art can appeal to those sensibilites as well. I mean Bergman and Fellini didn't strain from featuring attractive women in their works and among the stuff I mentioned most had female characters many people consider attractive as well.
>>
>>139985224
> Monogatari
> nearly identical to all other ecchi haremshit in actual substance
Yes.

> delivery
I don't even know if I should disagree or call bait. I'm not even a fan of the series, but the way storytelling is done is substantially different from the classic harem and the style is native to the director.
>>
>>139985505
What are some avant garde, artsy non-Japanese animation you'd recommend? Like Feherlofia or something.
>>
>>139982737
>Belladonna
Had heard of this before but never looked into it, added to backlog. It better be good OP.
>>
>>139985606
Like all the anime op said?
>>
art is for fags and losers
>>
Get into indie anime.
>>
>>139985759
You might be interested to know a 4k restoration was announced and is currently showing in theatres.

Hopefully the make BD's
>>
>>139982737

Those are mostly pretty popular? FLCL and Casshern were toonami shows. Tatami is obnoxious and Belladonna is legitimately terrible. The rest pretty much get the recognition they deserve.
>>
There's atleast one show of this sort every season, stop whining about a non-problem.
>>
File: Animted films.jpg (395 KB, 1400x997) Image search: [Google]
Animted films.jpg
395 KB, 1400x997
Damn, you've mentioned my favorite from the start. Try the stuff from this chart. Besides those:
Rusalochka - russian adaptation of the little mermaid
Fantastic Planet - a french surreal sci-fi film
Street of Crocodiles - stop-motion film and an adaptation of Bruno Schulz stories
Fantasia - by Disney, so you might have seen it, if not it's probably their most unique film
Krvava Pani - an adaptation of the story of Elizabeth Bathory
Eventually just like with anime, you'll have too much stuff to watch. Just check out other works by the creators you like, what kind of works inspired them or look at on-line lists. /tv/ sometimes has threads dedicated to animation and you can find some interesting stuff there from time to time.

Oh, and with animated series it's much worse. But if you want something unique then check out The Maxx. It's probably one of the few western animated series which is aimed at an adult audience but doesn't have a comedy focus. It's basically a super hero story but in the end in comes off as something more akin to Serial Experiments Lain in how psychological and surreal it is. You can check out the first episode online and see if you like it. Sadly it's not even available in HD so you won't be losing much in terms of resolution quality:
https://vimeo.com/40704262
>>
>>139987491
Not sure it could be called avant-garde necessarily, but you two should check out the Cat's Piano if you haven't already. It's a neat little nine minute animated piece with some good narration and interesting direction, though I wouldn't call myself an expert on animation or film by any means, so take that with a grain of salt. I'd post the webm. I have of it if I could, but no sound is allowed on /a/ so you'll have to Google for it. It was really cool.

Also you have some really good taste.
>>
>>139987070
Really? I can't think of a single show that matches this in the last half a dozen seasons.
>>
>>139987070
Not really, Noitamina used to feature some of those. But this season we got Kabenori from them and last season we got Erased so they kind of lost their way.
>>
>>139982737
Because people have different tastes than you? I mean, it's not even like people hate them; most of those you mentioned have a very solid degree of popularity (especially NGE, Utena, Lain, and FLCL). Are you expecting all your favorite anime to be mainstream best-selling hits, or what?
>>
>>139982737
How the fuck does anybody actually enjoy FLCL though? I mean it's fine if you do, but goddamn that shit is boring and half the characters are too annoying to stand.
>>
>>139988564
I can kind of understand people being bored with Lain and Angel's Egg and maybe Casshern Sins and Kaiba as well. But FLCL? Which bored you? The over the top action scenes? The abstract humor? It's striking art design and animation? The god-tier soundtrack? It's literally the most intense work on that list.
>>
>>139985872
so is anime
>>
>>139988564
FLCL was a lot of things, but boring isn't one of them.
>>
>>139982737
Why is Casshern Sins on there? It's pretty straightforward but with nice scenery, plenty of anime like that
>>
>>139988564
>FLCL is boring
Even if you took anime outside the list it's pretty fast paced and wild. Did you get too distracted by the visuals and not like them enough, or something?
>>
>>139988785
I like FLCL, but I can understand finding a lot of its WACKY HIJINKS tiresome and irritating rather than exciting. It's how I feel about all Imaishi's work.
>>
>>139985224
>They don't give a fuck about actual storytelling or visual experiences
get animators to be paid livable wages first and then complain that they're not being artsy enough
>>
>>139987491
>Persepolis

Retarded NATO propaganda.
>>
>>139987491
Guessing this post is in response to mine but I've seen everything here sadly. Looks like I'll have to explore some super specific blogs/websites to find something new.
>>
Was Yuri kuma arashi the last "surreal" show in a while? Or Ping pong (although ping pong was very grounded in reality)
>>
>>
>>139990883
If you've seen all of those I posted then take a look at this list:
http://nishikataeiga.blogspot.com/2010/10/laputas-top-150-japanese-and-world.html

It has both western and japanese works that are worth looking in to.
>>
>>139982737
I really liked how trippy lain got, is there any other anime like that?
>>
>>139992432
Probably. Though not shows, but some of the Anime Expo shorts were more on the surreal side as well. Ping Pong wasn't surreal but it did have a unique visual design and again and is the last anime series to really stand out in those terms.

Last show in general to have somewhat unique visuals would be Concrete Revolutio because of its color palette, it's also got a second season airing now.
>>
>>139993554
Eva, Utena, Haibane Renmei, Belladonna, Texhnolyze, Mawaru Penguindrum or FLCL. Cat Soup and Angel's Egg don't get trippy, they're like that from the start. I've also heard people who aren't familiar with certain sci-fi tropes call Kaiba trippy. Kon films and his series would kind of qualify (besides Millennium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers) but they all provide a direct explenation for everything in the end.

If you've seen all of those then you should probably get into independent animation.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.