[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was just watching this, and I'm wondering about the amounts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: cover.jpg (89 KB, 500x506) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
89 KB, 500x506
I was just watching this, and I'm wondering about the amounts of money mentioned in the show. The exchange rate of USD and JPY fluctuates, but usually, it's a little more than 100 JPY for 1 USD.

So his original debt of 4 million was really just 40 K USD, and the outrageous sounding prizes on the boat and shit were just 100 - 200 K USD? And people were literally killing each other for this?
>>
Are you saying you wouldn't kill for 100k?
>>
>>139938691
>And people were literally killing each other for this?

Last time I checked, people were killing each other over Black Friday deals.
Seems realistic, if you ask me.
>>
Honestly just move the decimal place. It's a lot easier that way.
>>
File: kaiji_kidsstation.jpg (87 KB, 640x429) Image search: [Google]
kaiji_kidsstation.jpg
87 KB, 640x429
In other news: Kaiji runs on children TV in stores.
>>
They are guilt-tripped into doing it.
>>
>>139938691
These are people who have huge gambling debts and few career prospects. If they ate lucky, they will work a dead end job for minimum wage and live in poverty until they die. If they aren't, they will be extorted by the yakuza and essentially live as slaves.
>>
File: jpy.png (60 KB, 694x486) Image search: [Google]
jpy.png
60 KB, 694x486
>>139938892
Doesn't quite work.

>>139938773
yes.

>>139938828
well I guess the people in the show were supposed to be debtors and degenerate scum. but still.
>>
>>139938773
The hell? Why would you? Do you know how fast 100k goes down the shitter in the real world? I don't simply mean on stupid crap, either. Between bills, a car, prior debts, taxes, calculated monthly expenses, and extraneous costs (such as major repairs, medical costs, additional but infrequent substantial purchases, etc.), you've got a lot of money being wasted before you consider what you've got left over. This is especially true for the average person you meet on the street, who may be taking care of themselves as well as others. You may think 100k is a lot based on your lifestyle, but it's not a lot outside of a single household.

Don't get me wrong. 100k is a good sum of money. Anyone could happily use 100k to better their life. But to kill over it? Fuck that. Unless they were in dire need and at the end of their rope, no sane average person would go so far as to risk everything for a quick fix.
>>
>>139939369
>yes.
You're saying this while sitting calmly on your ass leeching off neetbux. What you're doing is the same as someone chilling out on the couch watching a WWI movie talking about how he would do shit totally different than the guy out in the trenches. Just... fuck, nigger. You fucking dumb.
>>
>>139939609

Actually no. I have about 20 thousand in student loans and I have a job. I'm not considering killing someone in order to pay off my debt.
>>
>>139939609
And you're talking about killing someone for 100k being an easy thing to do or even consider. How can we take you seriously? It's almost as if you're just like that guy, sitting in your parents' house and simply coming to a different conclusion based on this ill-conceived notion that 100k is worth fucking up the rest of your life. Besides which, if you really were in a situation like that, you'd have already fucked up.
>>
>>139939956
>20 thousand in student loans
what the fuck
>>
>>139939956
>20 thousand in student loans
Nigger, what the fuck? I don't agree with the guy about killing for 100k, but seriously? Why would you even tell us that like it's a valid point?

Dumbass, man.
>>
>>139939000
Additionally, Kaiji is set during the Japanese economic recession of the early 90's, which would have made it a lot harder to repay debts.
>>
>>139940034
>And you're talking about killing someone for 100k being an easy thing to do or even consider
Where, you fucking mouth breathing mongoloid? Last I remember the feeling of the conflicting feeling of guilt and the tempation of the oportunity driving people insane was a huge part of the show's theme.
>100k is worth fucking up the rest of your life
Their lives are already fucked up you goddamn moron. They're in debt to the yakuza. This isn't some stupid ass student loan to your coddling state.

Jesus Christ if I was offered to murder a fucking moron such as yourself for 100k I'd do it for free instead.

>>139940084
Probably some liberal arts degree. No wonder he's such a fuckwit.
>>
>>139940180

Kaiji's original debt was less than 40 K. I know it's not exactly comparable, but it's not an order of magnitude difference. And the people portrayed in the show weren't actually 10M yen it debt, they just had some debt and wanted to "start over". Even if I had 100 thousand in loans I wouldn't kill someone to pay it off. Fuck off.
>>
>>139940084
>>139940180
Obviously a different guy here but I started with 46 thousand in student loans, 38k to go, more than Kaiji's debt and I'm not going crazy over it.

To add on to it oil crashed here leading to massive layoffs everywhere so our economy is in a downturn
>>
>>139938950
I hope more kids end up like Kaiji in the future
>>
>>139940353
What the fuck is wrong with the US?
>>
>>139940406
I'm Canadian, that's the cost of a 4 year degree when you have no assistance from family or friends and the only work you can get with your hours is a bouncer on weekends.
>>
>>139940251

>Their lives are already fucked up you goddamn moron

This wasn't even a question about them, though, you fucking dumbass. You're even the one who asked the fucking question. Are you legitimately retarded? I'm in no situation that would call for killing someone for such an amount of money. I doubt you are, either. If you were, you'd probably benefit from getting the fuck out of here and doing something about it instead of complaining about how we're not suffering enough by comparison.
>>
>>139939369
>muh abenomics

Lel
>>
>>139940201
This is when interest rates were 40%.
>>
>>139940201
This

Also on the subject of compairing student loan debts. I'm assuming those debts mean you have an education and decent career prospects. The characters in Kaiji do not have that. 50k debt isn't so bad if you make 50k a year, or even 30k. If you work minimum wage making maybe 15k a year, paying that debt off would be impossibly. IMPOSSIBLE. 15k would only be enough to survive on, not to pay back a loan that huge... You proubably couldn't even keep up with the intrest.

Also, with your debts. No one is threatening to turn you into a slave and forced to work in a labor camp where you will likely die if you do not repay it. All you have to worry about is Fucking up your credit score. Bit of a diffrnce there, don't you think?

100k is an unthinkable amount of money for some people, and it is personally reasonable to think there are some people who would go to great lengths for the chance to obtain it.

Now, would 'I' kill for 100k? Probably not, but I think I would do some fucked up shit for it. I've been rather fortunate in my life and have a good career, but I could put myself in the shoes of someone less fortunate and easilly see myself choosing the same path as these characters.
>>
>>139941196
Kaiji is essentially a NEET in a shitty rich-world economic recession.

No jobs but you still owe the money
>>
It's a yakuza loan. You won't even be able to pay the interests, so the debt will keep increasing. Basically you become a slave and any money you earn goes to the yakuzas.
>>
>>139941439
What's even the point of taking out a loan like that in the first place? I'd rather die than be indebted,for the rest of my life, to criminal scum.
>>
>>139940406
They don't live in superior Germany where college is basically free

Only around 2K euros for 4 years here.

A lot of people here seem to miss that the initial debt isn't even the big problem. They're literally the scum of society who can't get jobs good enough to even pay off the interest. Hence why they're basically killing each other for it.
>>
>>139941515
But sick gambles were you risk your life are more fun that just killing yourself
>>
>>139941439
Thankfully in first world countries we have things called "bankruptcy" and "bailouts" for major banks and companies but not for individuals.
>>
>>139941515
Gambling problems? Stupidity? Again, these characters are degenerates who have already fucked up their lives, and now they are being given a chance to fix it.
Personally, I think this show is brilliant.
>>
>>139939479
>durrhurr I'm shit with money

I have to live on under 20k a year in a first world country and I manage just fine. I sure as fuck would kill for a 5-year holiday, not to mention the fact that I could simply invest the money or buy things that would save me more in the long run.
>>
>>139941515
>What's even the point of taking out a loan like that in the first place
There are lots of reasons, it happens in irl too.
>Gambling addiction
>Not enough money to maintain family
>Wanting to have some material goods like a house or an expensive car
They basically take advantage of desperate and mentally ill people, no well adjusted person would ever take a loan from the mafia.
>>
>>139943928
Like that Japanese guy who took a 500K yen loan from the yakuza just to get his waifu in Fate Grand Order

He hasn't updated his twitter in some months now

He might be ded
>>
>>139939479
Anon, the median household income in the US is ~50k annually. That's at least two years worth of money for half the country.
>>
>>139941515
If you recall the yakuza were perfectly willing to try and throw those debts onto family of the debtors forcing even more incentive to participate in their gambling games. As opposed to killing oneself taking another life ending gamble made sense for most of them.
>>
>>139944063
W-Which character was it?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.