[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Satoshi Kon, director of Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 11
File: m8wgb28Yhm1rz7lgbo1_500.jpg (32 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
m8wgb28Yhm1rz7lgbo1_500.jpg
32 KB, 500x313
Satoshi Kon, director of Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika
>He makes a comment: the disposable nature of anime today; back in the days, there was more anticipation and fans digested each work better.
>"Animation based on popular manga, giant robots and big-eyed girls with shamefully skimpy costumes will continue to fill the screen. I think that's okay. These productions fill demands; the audiences for them support the Japanese animation industry. Thanks to them, there is room for a non-mainstream creator like me. Of course, I hope many unusual pieces will also appear."

Hayao Miyazaki, director of Nausicaä, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away
>"I think Japanese animation is facing a dead end," he said.
>"I think there is a chance that the spread of Japanese animation overseas might only lead to embarrassment."
>And he described younger anime makers as the "copycat generation".

Yoshiyuki Tomino, creator of the Gundam franchise
>"All I can say is that the creative process in Japan is obviously showing a decline."
>Stop buying anime magazine and stop watching anime now.
>If you have time go see some real paintings and watch live performance at theaters.

Hideaki Anno, director of Evangelion
>He feels anime industry is exhausted : A continuing trend of stagnation.
>And said "over the past years, there has been no anime "newer" than Eva."

Mamoru Oshii's, director of Ghost in the Shell
>"The world of hand-drawn Japanese animation became useless long ago, as far as level of achievement and talent. The stuff airing on television these days can just be churned out, mass produced.

Katsuhiro Otomo, director of Steamboy and Akira
>'The skills of traditional animators have become worse, and notable young animators have not come out to the scene. This is a big issue for the industry. '

How do we make anime great again?
>>
>>139628647

>asspain of a bunch of bitter old farts

Assuming the quotes are even real, Miyzaki has no place to fucking talk. Basically all of his works are self-fellation of his personal beliefs, along with shoving some perfect waifu of his as the main character.
>>
>>139628647
Only person that said someone decent there was Kon and the guy is dead.
>>
File: 1453877592991.jpg (2 MB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
1453877592991.jpg
2 MB, 3000x3000
Satoshi Kon has been dead for 6 years so idk why you're bringing this up, but his quote is the only good one.

The rest of these guys sound like jealous old fuckers and most of them are plain wrong. Especially those last three complaining about lack of innovation and proper animation techniques. One Punch Man has some of the best animation sequences in the history of anime, and it's also a pretty refreshing concept for a show. That's just the most recent example, spanning back there's pretty much at least one great show every year. Fuck Hideaki Anno's quote btw, what a pretentious cunt. EVA didn't do anything revolutionary and it's been surpassed by many shows since.
>>
>>139628647
>make anime great again
>>>/pol/
>>
File: 8bWlP5n.jpg (64 KB, 448x700) Image search: [Google]
8bWlP5n.jpg
64 KB, 448x700
>>139628784

True, Miyzaki is a huge waifufag, but he try to act like he's some sort of feminist and above it all. The guy is a hack.

But the other guys were right.
>>
>>139629054

Not really. All of them (again, assuming the quotes are even real) are just being whiny bitches. Whether or not you and I will admit it, modern things like TTGL, KLK, Madoka, and so on are highly popular, profitable, and animated quite well. You don't have to like everything out there, but being a bitter fuck about it with what boils down to "wahhh why does no one like my hipster obscure bullshit?" is plain dumb.
>>
>>139629181
>KLK, Madoka
>"animated quite well"
>>
>>139629181

>these critically acclaimed animation detectors are not right, i'm right

t. some guy
>>
>>139629297

I've seen both receive praise for their animation, notably Madoka and its art direction. I'm not a big fan of either, but I'm not going to just blindly hate them simply because they appeal to a lot of people.
>>
Resurrect Satoshi Kon
>>
>>139629181
>>139629357
Saying KLK is animated quite well is a fucking travesty. Besides, Kon was the only guy that seemed to have a positive outlook outlook on the whole situation so he deserves at least some respect.
>>
Moekino >shounincrap.
We need to get rid of the shounin cancer.
>>
>>139629407

Yeah, he didn't seem to really hate it much.

>>139629356

I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, I am merely stating my opinion of the matter. Besides, the market wouldn't be churning out what it currently is making if it weren't profitable. If artsy pro-environmentalist and anti-war movies like Miyazaki's stuff was profitable, everyone would be doing it.
>>
>>139629357
Art direction =/= animation

Madoka TV was very run-of-the-mill and the movies have animation about on par with or a bit worse than other movies but are packed with VFX.

And KLK was not animated well. At all. It was done in the traditional Gainax style of "oh fuck we're running out of time and money do what you can to finish" and I'm not claiming that it doesn't work well or that the show isn't fun but it's not well-animated.
>>
>>139628647
>How do we make anime great again?

We can't.
>>
File: rider.jpg (458 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
rider.jpg
458 KB, 3840x2160
What about ufotable? Aren't they saving the anime industry with their incredibly memorable and exciting shows?
>>
>>139628647
I will drop anime in a heart beat if a new source of consistent and varied animation appears. There aren't any and all attempts by other countries have been met with failure
>>
>>139628647
>Kon
thanks god he`s dead
>Tomino
After his last flop he himself admitted he is a hack.
>Anno
Biggest degenerate of them all. Remakes EVA untile nd of times.
>Oshii
Production IG is shit, big news. Who`s responsible?
>Otomo
Who?

KyoAni is better than them all. And at least, Yamakan instead of just complaining actually tries to save anime.
>>
File: 1446720781585.gif (766 KB, 336x576) Image search: [Google]
1446720781585.gif
766 KB, 336x576
>>139628647
>>
The kon quote doesn't fit, I don't know if it's real but he was right and did not give a fuck as long as he got to direct and animate his shit, which he correctly identified as non-mainstream in Japan. Can't have non-mainstream without mainstream.

>If you have time go see some real paintings and watch live performance at theaters.
If you actually care for culture and art, you do both. There is no reason to stop watching something you enjoy just because there are also theater, art and books around. One can go to the theater, read a good book, watch anime, go to an art gallery and watch a film. None of these are mutually exclusive and all offer a different experience.
>>
>>139628647
It's been over ten years since any anime looked like that picture.
>>
>>139628647
>>139628647
>"As far as viewers are concerened, well, they are being bombarded with images around the clock, and they have come accustomed to an infinite supply of them; it's gotten to the point where they have no qualms about demanding even more. Viewers will forever demand that we give them their shows every week, that when a season's up we follow with another season of shows – without any idea of how much time and energy we creators have to invest, to give of ourselves, to create a single episode. Sometimes they even have the nerve to tell us that last year there was such and such, but this year there hasn't been anything good on at all." - Miyazaki, 1985
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 300x450
>>139628647
Miyazaki
>"I think Japanese animation is facing a dead end," he said.
>"I think there is a chance that the spread of Japanese animation overseas might only lead to embarrassment."
>And he described younger anime makers as the "copycat generation".

He has a point though. Visually anime is extremely competent. For all its corner cutting some of the stuff I see are things I expect to see from high quality films. The problem is the extremely amateurish writing that's on the level of young adult literature.

An example is Makoto Shinkai who I like to call Otaku Malick. As a visual director he knows his shit and can create primal emotions with just visuals yet all his stories are adolescents, highschool again? Fucking really?
>>
>>139628647
I found it silly that Miyazaki threw green hair of the main girl in Wind Rises.
Its common in anime but for something that's meant to be realistic and a biopic it felt off.
>>
>>139633968
>Visually anime is extremely competent.
That's not his point at all. From what I can gather, he dislikes the visuals in particular - there's that famous quote about how people don't move naturally anymore because animators don't watch reality or whatever, and he always goes back to the 60s and 50s and talks about how great those were, and I think his issue might actually be that he's such a stubborn faggot he never got over the switch to limited animation.

Also,
>Shinkai
>Otaku
He's pretty much mainstream.
>>
>>139628784
>>139629054
He is also a glorified pedo
>>
Of course they think shit sucks, they're old now.
>>
>>139634082
Well he still has a point. Animators need to look at how hit moves over reading shallow pretentious philosophy garbage they try to inject in their shit.

Yes Shinkai is popular enough but it feels like the environment of anime was holding him back. He could make much more interesting stuff with his talents but he sticks to Teenagers.
>>
File: cute girls doing cute things.jpg (136 KB, 1280x688) Image search: [Google]
cute girls doing cute things.jpg
136 KB, 1280x688
Eva was total shit and Miyazaki garbage doesn't look any better than op's pic.
>>
>>139634288
>He has a point, anime looks good but has bad writing.
>His point was that anime looks bad, though.
>Well, he still has a point.
I think you got turned around somewhere.

>He could make much more interesting stuff with his talents but he sticks to Teenagers.
That's nothing to do with anime holding him back, that's his own self holding him back. He likes that theme. And it's not like teens and failed love is a weak/limited theme that should automatically hold you back, he's just not that good at it.
>>
>>139633968
>The problem is the extremely amateurish writing that's on the level of young adult literature.

That's because most of it IS young adult """"literature"""", just in another format. Most anime is adapted from shitty novels/games/etc. aimed squarely at teenagers and otaku and pretty much all of the rest is split up between kids shows, shorts, BL/shonen-ai, ow the edge/melodrama and the handful of actual good shows we get every year that rise. Anime is shit because it's made by people with bad taste for people with no taste as a circlejerk of escapism and is funded by people who wouldn't be caught dead watching 99% of the shows they fund.

Seriously, once you start thinking of anime like YA novels and/or video gamest everything pretty much snaps into place.
>>
>>139628647
What a fucking hack.
>>
>>139628647
>Anno
>>
>>139634757
If he'd said "avant-garde" or "modern" he'd probably be right, though, depending on when the quote is from. EVA is almost art house in a number of ways and avoids being pretentious via being batshit crazy and/or not letting the pretentious bits get up a head of steam.
>>
>>139634827
Oh, please. Utena or Lain are more avant-garde/modern than NGE, and those are probably the most famous anime from the years directly succeeding it.
>>
>>139635070
Lain, probably. Utena, probably not.
>>
>Anno faggot complaining about the state of the industry

kekimus maximus
>>
>>139635122
Not famous, or not more avant-garde/modern than NGE?

Anyway, the whole thing is basically moot, since I just checked and that quote is an advertising bit (with Anno's name attached, but almost certainly written by a marketer and briefly run by him) from 2007 when 1.0 was about to debut.
>>
>>139628647
Wait a minute, but Anno really liked Madoka.
>>
File: 1454133992427.jpg (25 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1454133992427.jpg
25 KB, 640x480
>>139628647
>"over the past years, there has been no anime "newer" than Eva."
So that's why he made the Rebuilds?
>>
>>139628647
>Director of Steamboy says...
How about the director of Steamboy shuts his god damned mouth, that movie was fucking awful.
>>
>>139635227
Literally yes.
>For these purposes, we used the best methods available to us to make another Evangelion film.
>Many times we wondered, "It's a title that's more than 10 years old. Why now?"
>"Eva is too old", we felt.
>However, over the past 12 years, there has been no anime newer than Eva.
>Specifically, among the stagnant mood of the present day, it is the portrayal of will - not technology - that is most important.
>To support the fans that support animation, we felt that a work that would appeal to middle and high school-aged men, who quickly grow away from Anime, was necessary.
>When we decided that we wanted to something to support the anime [industry] of today, the determination to return to this title was strong.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-02-20/hideaki-anno-releases-statement-about-new-evangelion-movies
>>
>>139628647
You forgot the Otaking himself
He was the first to drop anime too
>>
>>139635175
Avant-garde.
>>
>>139635279
>the Otaking himself
There are two people who go by Otaking, and neither of them are actually relevant creators.
>>
>>139628647
How would Satoshi Kon know about "anime today" is?
>>
>>139635321
Too soon.
>>
>>139635303
Turning into a car is pretty avant-garde.
>>
>>139635276
That's stupid.
He should've never made them.
The real reason he made the films was for money, and we all know it.
>>
I'm still waiting for a proper gritty WW2 anime
coupled with orchestra and metal of some sort
Probably the eastern front
>>
>>139635312
Ironically, i'm talking about the knock-off expert and pirate millionaire.

>Relevant Creators
Pretty much self-explained in Otaku no Video
>>
>>139635381
The last time they did the eastern front we got First Squad. I say don't try again.
>>
>>139629356
Yes.
Critics don't know shit.
>>
>>139635627
depends on who works on it m8
>>
>>139634827
I doubt that's what he meant. If you look at the type of stuff he tends to praise, it's a lot of wholesome all-ages fare and serious-but-staid dramatic stuff. Hell, when he was asked in the late 90s about promising recent anime, his go-to example was LoGH.
>>
Talented people are always lamenting about the state of the medium they work with and the industry they're a part of because they've spent so many years dealing with the problems.

This isn't unique to anime. Good writers always talk about how print is dying, good directors always talk about how Hollywood is a broken system; the list goes on.

For some reason /a/ always takes this shit as a personal attack instead of with a grain of salt.
>>
>>139628647
>"over the past years, there has been no anime "newer" than Eva."

what did he mean by this?
>>
File: 1457951879700.png (691 KB, 667x720) Image search: [Google]
1457951879700.png
691 KB, 667x720
>>139628647
>It's a bitter old farts that can't make anime anymore episode

Seriously though, every one of them only shit out flops whenever they do a "comeback".
>>
>>139635969
Most of those people are right, though. Just look at the current state of science fiction.
>>
>>139636059
>science fiction
>good writers
>>
>>139629356
Critics spend their lives trying to look sophisticated by judging pop culture and entertainment. Being a pretentious faggot is literally their job.
>>
>>139636088
That's my point.
>>
>>139628647
>The skills of traditional animators have become worse, and notable young animators have not come out to the scene.
He has a point in the sense that the achievements of young animators today pale in comparison to those of the previous generation back in their youth. Today's top animators can do flashy animation ,but not those with believable weight and subtle yet expressive emotion.
>>
>>139636055
Miyazaki's latest "comeback," The Wind Rises, was huge. More people watched it in theaters than will ever watch your favorite anime.
>>
>>139636157
No, your point is about current science fiction.
>>
>>139628647
>'The skills of traditional animators have become worse, and notable young animators have not come out to the scene.
animators get paid shit
why would any good artist become an animator just to get fucked in the ass
>>
>>139636016

Nothing in the last 20 years has been able to turn the industry on it's head the way Eva did. There have been no breakthroughs since then.

We've just been reinventing the wheel.

The closest thing I can think of to "new" since that point is Haruhi, but even then it was self-awareness. Nothing new was found there, the snake just started eating it's own tail and found it tasted pretty good.
>>
>>139636225
So by "no anime" he meant "no blockbuster anime." Good to know that our measure for quality of a medium is its commercial successes only.
>>
>>139636171
Miyazaki's last film flopped. Miyazaki films are for normalfags anyway, I couldn't give a shit about how many disneyfags watch his movies.
>>
>>139636211
Because there are people who are passionate enough about animation to be willing to live with the shitty wages. Not everyone can last of course, but the few good ones can earn a decent enough living once they're established.
>>
>>139636294
His last film was Wind Rises. It's one of the ten best-selling anime movies ever.
>>
>>139636275

> nu uh

Excellent post. You've convinced me you were born in the last 18 years and have no sense of perspective.
>>
>>139636184
Contemporary authors were complaining about science fiction being shit and getting worse in the 60s and they've been pretty well vindicated by now because butt-fucking-nothing of merit has clawed its way out of the last few decades.

>>139636165
You should check out some of the horror stories in /co/ animation threads about the western industry. Art schools literally don't even teach life drawing anymore.
>>
>>139636327
The Wind Rises flopped. Nips critically panned it and the west found it to be too boring for kids, which is the only thing normalfags see animated film for.
>>
>>139636484
Again, no one gives a shit about critics, it was clearly pleasing the audience.
>>
>>139636354
50 Shades of Grey is one of the best selling books of all time. Commercial success is the furthest thing from critical merit.
>>
>>139636521
Except it didn't please the audience, that's why it flopped.
>>
>>139636327
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_animated_films

Not only are you wrong, but there isn't a single Miyazaki film in the top 50 animated films. Normies fucking hate anime, even if it panders to them.
>>
>>139636691
That's not a list of anime, retard. And there are several Miyazaki in the top 50.
>normies
Just fuck off.
>>
>>139636732
>top 50
Top 50 2D, I mean.
>>
>>139628647
>These productions fill demands; the audiences for them support the Japanese animation industry.
>Thanks to them, there is room for a non-mainstream creator like me.
Wise words from Kon.
Why are you ded so soon?

>Miyazaki & Tomino opinion
And why you two still alive?
>>
>>139628784
>>139628970

Thank you so much
>>
File: 1459530740990.png (363 KB, 813x678) Image search: [Google]
1459530740990.png
363 KB, 813x678
>>139628647
>Implying Haruhi Suzumiya wasn't original
>Implying the decline didn't start with Lucky Star
>Implying we don't get strange outliners no one gives a shit about
>Implying animators aren't slave labor
>>
>>139628647
Can be said about anything else. Doesn't make it into a good thing, but my point is, culture and creativity declining everywhere in any forms of art.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.