[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Angel's Egg
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: tenshinotamago.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
tenshinotamago.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Just finished watching this, didn't fully understand it.
I think the visual direction was superb and I liked the movie very much, but the symbolism and story had me lost on a few occasions.
I have some questions:

What did the giant eye thing represent?

Why were those fishermen trying to catch those shadow fishes on the wall?

Why did the girl grew up as soon as she drowned? and why did the eggs started to float just after that?

Why did the sea level rise after the man broke the egg?

There might be some other questions but I'll leave it at that for now

yes im dumb pls no bully
>>
Everything is about moe culture and the aftereffects of EVA on japan. The giant eye represents the public pressure japan receives for creating moe culture.
The fishermen trying to catch shadow fishes is japan trying to create another EVA and failing to do so.
The girl grew up as soon as she drowned, because she drowned as a loli, and it made her perfect, knowing that she became an adult and was reborn for learning the moe is cute.
The sea levels rose to represent the girl learning that perfection was fleeting, and only the embrace of an unaging 2D culture of cute will be perfect forever.
>>
>>139582724
The giant eye represents God's eternal punishment for the filthy consumerism prevalent in Japan during the late-capitalist era.

Fishmen represent the shallow consumers and their unhealthy materialistic desires (represented by their greed for the fish)

The girl denounces the material world in favor of spiritual enlightenment (the water = purity, growing up = spiritual development). The floating eggs symbolize the miracle of God (she will float whereas the other materialistic humans will drown)

The sea level rises as a sign of Noah's ark coming to take those trapped in their narcissistic materialism.
>>
It's just pretty.
It means nothing.
>>
>>139583098
Angel's Egg was released 10 years before Evangelion
>>
"It just looked cool."
>>
File: 780.gif (2 MB, 331x197) Image search: [Google]
780.gif
2 MB, 331x197
>>139583098
>>
>>139583460
Now you understand just how big of a deal it really was.
>>
>>139582724
Whatever they mean to you is what is important. That's what is wonderful about surrealism.
>>
>>139583460
>he doesn't known angels egg is really 3.0 + 1.0
>underestimating the god of anime
>>
File: 1456544236535.gif (16 KB, 200x177) Image search: [Google]
1456544236535.gif
16 KB, 200x177
>>139582724
A lot of the things you asked are open to interpretation. There aren't usually any solid answers for this sort of thing. But the movie is about spirituality and the loss of faith and if you rewatch it with that in mind you might reach a better understanding of it
>>
>>139583413
This.

>>139583427
Not this.
>>
>>139582724
Angel's Egg is one of those pieces that's so personal to the author specifically that trying to tear apart the specific symbols and meaning behind everything is pointless.

Its about religion and the loss of faith. Anything more is wild speculation.

The films better as a piece of animation than it is a narrative.
>>
>>139586156
I really don't think it's a story of disillusionment.
I think he was smarter than that, and it shows.
>>
>>139582724
It has no meaning, it was made as a test and to look pretty. Like modern art, any meaning you derive from it is based soley on your own projection and meant to teach you about your own perception rather than the artists.
>>
>>139586301
I think you're confusing modern art with contemporary art (or post-modern art). Modernism works under the assumption that there is an inherent, universal truth, whereas post-modernism is basically an opposing reaction--that there is no inherent truth, only personal truth and meaning.

This is more of a focus in post/modernism from a philosophical, rather than artistic perspective, but they're still very related
>>
I remember reading an interpretation by an actual theology professor once, but I can't seem to find it right now. This page has some pretty good ideas though:
http://eigageijutsu.blogspot.com/2010/04/angels-egg-simbolism.html

On another note, this movie probably has the single best soundtrack ever to grace an anime, which oddly enough hardly ever seems to be mentioned.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.