[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are the best sports anime, ones that don't circulate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: Cross Game.jpg (194 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Cross Game.jpg
194 KB, 1920x1080
Why are the best sports anime, ones that don't circulate around the sport, but it is instead used as a theme. Are there any exceptions?

One Outs is good because is circulates around gambling with baseball as the theme.

Cross Game is good because it uses baseball as a theme while the rest of it circulates around high school romance.

Akagi is good because once again, the sport is there but it's more about gambling and Akagis lifestyle.

For a sports anime to be good, does it have to have to have something else to keep you interested that overaches the sport itself?

Why is there no good sports anime that is just about the sport itself?

Once again, Ping Pong, recent example, is all about coming of age, and it's not even really about ping pong, they don't even go over the basic rules.
>>
That one untranslated manga about curling
>>
It's to be expected. The more specific the topic is, the more you'll have to fill with other stuff. There's only so much you can say about sports.

You can throw Ashita no Joe in there, as well.
>>
>>139507490
Would sports anime be better in the movie format then?
>>
>>139507260
Constant matches get boring and dragged out, and the author is forced to continually one up themselves in terms of tension. Worst case scenario you get complete bullshit like KnB or PoT, but even decent series like DnA and Haikyuu just lose their hype over time. The best part is almost always the beginning when characters are being established, including their strengths, weaknesses, relationship dynamics etc and you follow the growth period.

It's much better overall when the series is kept short and not 100% sport focused.
>>
File: Ai-Omine.jpg (97 KB, 1912x1076) Image search: [Google]
Ai-Omine.jpg
97 KB, 1912x1076
Here you go, pham.

Daiki Aomine falls in love with Taiga Kagami.

Unable to confess, the former Teiko ace is gifted by a deus ex machina with the boy's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls him, and is overjoyed to find out that he has a crush on him as well.

But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to Taiga, he only looks at him with a perplexed expression, calling him "Gaaaay." After some investigation, he finds out that the Seirin ace he called is not the same boy he fell in love with. In fact, he doesn't exist in this universe at all. He is the boy's alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with Daiki's own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of his crush.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of BASKETBALL.
>>
>>139507558
I had never really thought about it, maybe because I'm more of a manga person and it doesn't have as many time restrictions as anime does. I don't think there's any medium that's inherently better for it.

I'd also partially disagree with Akagi. I think while Akagi as a character is a big chunk of the story, many of the matches stood on their own.

I recommend you read Ten if you want to see a mahjong manga that gets hit by a truck of plot and character development. It ends up beautifully.
>>
>>139507814
I already have that doujin.
>>
>>139507840
>I'd also partially disagree with Akagi. I think while Akagi as a character is a big chunk of the story, many of the matches stood on their own.

Well, most of what he does revolve around the matches themselves, but in every match he is cheating and there is dialogue between the characters.
>>
File: 1459021915237.jpg (233 KB, 1100x1569) Image search: [Google]
1459021915237.jpg
233 KB, 1100x1569
>>139507260
Yeah, Adachi is really the master at the technique you just described.
That's why he's considered one of the best.
Coming-of-age stories are are big part of making a sports series good, episodic battles against the next opponent are really, just for kids, like pokemon or some shit.
>>
>>139507975
That must be why nobody watches 3dpd sports.
>>
>>139507814
You need a new copy pasta desu.
>>
>>139507975
Why does he draw ears like this?
>>
File: ba58cd39.jpg (56 KB, 600x453) Image search: [Google]
ba58cd39.jpg
56 KB, 600x453
>>139508297
I dunno. But he has such a bad sameface problem even he has trouble telling his MCs apart.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-09-16/mitsuru-adachi-cant-tell-his-own-characters-apart/.78792
>>
>>139507260
Diamond no ace is good and its circulates around baseball
>>
>>139508375
>Diamond no ace is good

I thought it was pretty boring, couldn't get halfway through the series.
>>
Bear with me here:
I wrote a short story once about an utterly absurd World Series. A string of unfortunate mishaps leaves a team with only one pitcher on their roster; a perfect game is lost in extra innings due to consecutive errors; a freak wind tunnel effect causes every ball to fly out of the park until they run out of balls: every bat-shit thing I could think of.
And you know what? On paper it's still just a couple hundred pitches and counts, a few dozen fielded balls. You've seen one you've seen them all.
The only interesting part is people losing their god-damn minds over what the ball happens to do. Two long rows of zeros on the scoreboard is just a bunch of zeros; it's still enough to make everyone at home grip their seat and everyone on the field pray to some kind of god.
The mechanics of the game itself don't explain why people invest so much in it; that story is found in their lives off the field.

tl;dr: Ball is life isn't a story. WHY is ball your life? That's a story.
>>
>>139507260
Because sports themselves aren't that interesting to begin with, and they're even less so when it's fictional.
>>
>>139508374
It's not really sameface, it's just recycling designs for the same roles like a star system. For example, I can clearly tell that 2 is one of his current-ace-of-the-sport romantic rival characters, not an MC.
>>
>>139508077
That's like comparing Pokemon episodes to 3D dogfights.
>>
Does the tomboy childhood friend win in any other anime?
>>
>>139507260
Slam Dunk, OoFuri and Eyeshield 21 basically disprove this notion.

In all honesty, a sports heavy sports anime/manga can be just as great as long you don't start depending on the matches too much that you forget character development.

And in all honesty, those series you listed, most barely can be considered sports anime/manga and more than they just drama/SOL titles have a sports theme to them.

Also, gambling is not a sport.
>>
Baby Steps is very much about tennis, and I liked it enough to get into the actual sport. Sports anime is just great in general.
>>
>>139510218
>Also, gambling is not a sport.

Mahjong is indeed a sport.
>>
>>139508077
>nobody watches 3dpd sports

Not sure about other countries, but sports are the most-watched thing on TV in America.
>>
>>139508374
They are humans of alternate worlds
>>
>>139511662
No anon.
>>
>>139507814
It's already a meme, so you don't need to post it anymore.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/keit-ai-finds-a-way/
>>
File: 1442095651001.jpg (43 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
1442095651001.jpg
43 KB, 720x405
>>139507814
>>
>>139511662
I'm now imagining a Bokurano where all the worlds are different Adachi series.
>>
>>139512842
inter-universe baseball tournament when?
>>
>>139507260
>Akagi is good because once again, the sport is there but it's more about gambling and Akagis lifestyle.
Not only Akagi isn't a sport anime, it also goes deep in the mahjong.

>For a sports anime to be good, does it have to have to have something else to keep you interested that overaches the sport itself?
The only thing they need is interesting characters or a very fun sport to watch.
>>
>>139513497
What makes a sport anime fun to watch?
>>
Akagi is the best sports anime.
>>
>>139507689
This. I love sports series but there should be breaks between matches to get to know the characters outside the sport a little. I kinda lose interest if it's back-to-back matches.

I'd just watch IRL sports if I only wanted to see the game. Manga should have more character development.
>>
>>139512842
>>139512970
Who will win the multiverse COW-SHEEN?

Also, Adachi is the master of eye hiding cap coolness, I remember thinking how badass it looked.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.