[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dubs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (172 KB, 795x1040) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
172 KB, 795x1040
Why are dubs so fuckin shit? Do the voice actors have no sense in emotion? I was watching pic related on Netflix and kept toggling on and off English/Japanese and they sound like they're trying to fuckin hard. Has there ever been a case of good dubbing? What's wrong with them??
>>
Cause all the people with any sort of skill or talent graduate to video games where they make more money. See Troy Baker.
>>
File: 227.jpg (246 KB, 656x412) Image search: [Google]
227.jpg
246 KB, 656x412
>>139498377
>Why are dubs so fuckin shit?
>77

??????????
>>
>>139498377
Because voicing anime in USA is like C or D-list work. A-list dubbers go to Disney and other animated movies, B-list names go to AAA video games.

Anime and weeb video games are stuck with the failures that never made it big.
>>
>>139498641
Don't they know they're shit though? It's unbearable to listen to. How can someone suck that bad?
>>
>>139498377
Smaller talent pool available since America prioritizes live action. By the same reason all steps involved get shafted and eventually the actor barely knows a shit about the character and source and has to just phone in the performance to keep with the schedule.
>>
>>139498641
>A-list dubbers go to Disney and other animated movies
Maybe 20 years ago. They fill all the top spots with regular celebrities now.
>>
>>139498482
Not just anime, Troy Baker also refuses to do weeb games anymore after becoming video game voice #1.
>>
>>139498377
There are a few reasons. Most of them have to do with money as >>139498482 said. Anime dubbing is tedious work that pays little. The only real benefit is that you don't have to be part of a union to do it. Really talented voice actors tend to join a union and get paid a lot more for mainstream content of which anime is not usually a part of while performing far less strenuous tasks. In other words, never look towards anime dubs for good english vo work. The people working there would much rather be doing something else.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCVHQVWopGI

In my opinion this dub of Hyperdimension Neptunia is pretty good.
>>
>>139498725
Well, real actors are generally very good at voice acting.
>>
Dubs are good and have accurate translations, is just female american VAs are garbage on steriods with nasally voices. It rare to come across a shitty male dubbed voice
>>
>>139498641
This is pretty much it. I do watch shitty anime dubbed though, it can sometimes make it pretty amusing.
>>
>>139498864
I alway hear anecdotes about how it's hard to make actors used to live action care about their lines in the booth. More used to playing off people and such.
>>
>>139498975
I've heard the same thing.
>>
>>139498704
They do know, but they simply can't get better and anime fans eat it up anyway. Why even try when your target audience is too retarded to notice?

The dub voice actors in Fire Emblem Fates didn't get to see the designs, names or even title of the damn game of their characters. They were simply given a script and that's it. The woman who voiced the main heroine learned about her being in FE:F when she heard her own voice in a trailer.
>>
>>139498377
Because it's much easier to tell when voice acting is shit when it's in a language you can actually understand.
>>
>>139499126
Wow, that is fucking terrible.
>>
>>139499231
I can tell shit VA in a different language. It's about the emotion of the voice. Easy to tell
>>
File: Chen.png (250 KB, 680x500) Image search: [Google]
Chen.png
250 KB, 680x500
Dunno but check em
>>
File: 1455939736264.jpg (17 KB, 332x408) Image search: [Google]
1455939736264.jpg
17 KB, 332x408
>>139499126
How do you audition for role you aren't aware specifics of character?
>>
File: Awesome Haruhi.png (378 KB, 800x716) Image search: [Google]
Awesome Haruhi.png
378 KB, 800x716
>>139499332
>>
>>139499417
Nintendo is fucking insane about secrecy.
>>
>>139498377

So like are you using that image to get guaranteed replies or something?
>>
>>139499509
Yeah but that doesn't really answer my question
>>
>>139499332
off by one
>>
>>139499417
It's impossible. Hence why the dub is abysmal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdiHNkwWSQE
This is the English rendition of a Sawashiro seductive neesan voice.
>>
>>139499747
This is fucking great. I love awful dubs in video games.
>>
>>139499747
>the raspy smoker voice again
WHY DO THEY ALL SMOKE SO MUCH

You're pursuing a career where your voice is your only tool, please just why?
>>
Anime voice acting is a fucking racket. It's got to be. The same fucking voices over and over again, you'd think there would be a lot of people trying to break into the industry.
>>
>>139500391
-You have to be local to the studio to do it, and most dubs are done in TX, where there aren't a lot of aspiring actors.
-It's one of those things where you have to know someone who knows someone, and is very insular. It's mostly actors' and directors' friends in local stage acting that gets the roles.
-You don't think there are lots of weebs that try to get into VA work? What we have are the cream of the (local) crop.

Things are different with West Coast VA stuff, where it's more on-par with vidya and /co/, but that's too expensive for animu dubs anymore, and it's rarely seen unless the Japs do it themselves, and then the directors are generally crap, or have the japs breathe down their necks so hard that it's crap anyways.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.