[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /a/ think of Eden of the East?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: Eden_of_the_East_DVD_volume_1.jpg (66 KB, 250x355) Image search: [Google]
Eden_of_the_East_DVD_volume_1.jpg
66 KB, 250x355
What does /a/ think of Eden of the East?
>>
>>139355647
On one hand, I liked it because it was refreshing to see a politically aware anime.

However, I didn't like that there was secret society pulling everyone's strings. I don't believe that is how change occurs in democracies. It leads the viewer to conclude that people are powerless in the absence of powerful benefactors.

What did you think of it?
>>
>>139355647
It's almost wish-fulfillment how you can have all the money in the world but have to spend it to save the world
>>
>>139355647
It was clever and refreshing to have an intrigue plot where the characters were largely normal.

I think I can count the number of "fight" scenes in the show on one hand, which is a fascinating departure from similar shows. The majority of sparring was verbal or mental, which made it really stand out, even when it got up to a little too much navel gazing.

I only really can compare it to Zankyuu no Terror, and even then they're completely different; Eden of the East held my attention with schemes, dialogue and mindgames, with a healthy dose of realism, enough to make the near-future sci-fi factors and etcetera seamless with my suspension of disbelief.

The only thing I find a shame is that the anime doesn't have a solid stand-alone ending; It comes off as dissatisfying (albeit still very cool) if you don't watch the movies, which don't finish the ending but supply their own new ending that is, in its own way, also dissatisfying.
>>
Never watched it but the opening is fucking awesome
>>
>>139357133
It was fucking Oasis man never 4get.
I wonder how much it costed to license the song since I don't think they recorded specifically for the anime.
>>
>>139357465
Yea it was petty cool to see a western song op. Series was good but the op is why I remember it.
>>
>>139357465
Probably not a lot, since they weren't even able to license it internationally.
>>
>>139355647
Despite the problems many have with the ending and the movies I actually love Eden of the East and would have to say it's one of my favorite series.
most of the reasons I liked it were similar to >>139356809
it was just a real fresh breath of air,I liked the setting and the way the show portrayed modern day. I think what a lot of anime suffer from is that they often try to hard to escape from reality or try to be too realistic.
what really struck a chord with me here is how Eden of the East managed to balance these two in a fun original way,it also strayed clear of typical anime tropes or twisted them to fit the scenario.

The only other shows I can think of that come close in terms of style and presentation are durarara and Baccano!
>>
Phenomenal cinematic timing.
>>
>>139355647
pretty good fun ride, enjoyed it
>>
>>139355647

It could have been great, but it ended up just being pretty good.

Honestly, I don't remember that much about it other than it's somewhat dissatisfying ending. Maybe I should rewatch.
>>
>>139355647
The one show where Saori Hayami voices a normal girl who isn't rich or talented.
>>
>>139355647
I absolutely loved it. It was so different from the average anime, in both style and storytelling. Without the low episode count and shit ending, it could have very well been one of my most favorite anime of all time.
>>
File: imstupid.gif (771 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
imstupid.gif
771 KB, 500x281
>>139356809
... there's movies?
>>
>>139355647
Top notch. Anons already explained it better than I could.
>>
>>139355647
Pretty good, but I would have loved a well developed second season rather than the garbage movies we got, so that we could see more of the players behind the scenes and how that system was put into place.
>>
Season 1 was excellent
Movie 1 was alright
Movie 2 was pretty boring
>>
there was no movie 2
>>
One of my favorites. The art style and ost are great. It's nice that the MC and heroine aren't cookie cutters. I liked the premise of the show. Giving people the power, or in this case money, to change the world how they see fit. Seeing all the different ideas people to change the world and seeing how far they'd go to accomplish it.

>>139361576
There's two.
>>
>>139355647
Great characters criminally underused because of a meh plot
I mean, that Johnnys arc? If everything stayed like ep1 it'd be 9/10 at least
>>
>>139355647
It's really good. It feels like a distinctly Japanese take on the very American genre of techo/sci-fi-thrillers fitted over 11 episodes instead of a short movie or airport paperback.
I though the first movie was pretty dull though and I never bothered to watch the sequel.
>>
>>139355647
It has the best cinematic timing I've ever seen
>>
>>139365710
Movie 1 was not only boring by basically just existed to bring plot back to where it was the end of the TV series.

It's not only boring but feels like a waste of time, at least the second movie felt like it was covering new ground.
>>
>>139369839
thanks

came for this meme

didn't leave disappointed
>>
>>139355647
It's crap.
>>
>>139355647
Good series. Nothing really more to add, this is one of the few threads where I agree with most people posting. Felt like it probably should have been 24 episodes, rather than the jarring unevenness of 11 episodes and two movies. It feels like that format really messed up the pacing.

>>139355791
Gatchaman Crowds also did a pretty good job being a 'politically aware anime'. It seems like a pretty easy thing to fuck up, but Crowds and Eden seemed to do a pretty good job of it.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.