[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well shit, I was making a list of good female characters because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: Nausicaa.jpg (282 KB, 952x1307) Image search: [Google]
Nausicaa.jpg
282 KB, 952x1307
Well shit, I was making a list of good female characters because someone tried to prove to me that I couldn't mention more of those than he could good male and the thread got deleted. So let's just make another friend this time just dedicated to female and male characters in anime and how they compare

Here was my list:

Sure. As a matter of fact, I'll make it harder for myself and make it a rule that I can only take one character per franchise and I have to double your list. You have 19, so I'll round it up to 40.
Here we go:
Misato
Haruko
Lain
Utena
Akashi
Faye
Tanabe
Reki
Mima
Motoko
Nausicaa
Ahiru
Revy
Oscar
Nono
Jeanne
Lyuze
Togame
Watashi
Kaguya
Yuuko (xxxHolic)
Koto
Eriko
Casca
Dianna Soreil
San
Sakura (Urusei Yatsura)
Kino
Dorothy
Kanzaki (GTO)
Erin
Akari (Aria)
Noriko
Chiyoko
Re-l
Misaki
Senjougahara
Fuura Kafuka
Ryuuko
Hajime

Damn, I'm on a roll so I'll go with 10 more just for the heck of it:
Benten
Fujiko
Lina
Lafiel
Saki
Kanuka Clancy
Holo
Rio (Sora no Woto)
Niea
Panty

Ok, just 10 more. Since some important ones popped in:
Birdy
Koko
Konata
Hakaze (Zetsuen no Tempest)
Deunan Knute
Shiki
Saeko
Akira Yamamoto
Homura
Maetel

Yeah, it's so hard to find interesting female characters in anime.
>>
File: FT_mavis_peek_fanart.jpg (122 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
FT_mavis_peek_fanart.jpg
122 KB, 600x600
>and the thread got deleted
Deleted or archived? Anyway, hate it when that happens.
>>
Lina is the best desu
>>
>>139338758
As much as I love Nausicaa, I'm not so sure that she's a "good" character per say. Even in the manga she was pretty much just one of Miyazaki's ideals personified.

Maybe I'm being contrarian
>>
Dude, go watch Princess Arete.
>>
>>139340583
Didn't she kill thousands in the manga?
She's not good, she's evil.
>>
>>139340768
What does that have to do with anything?
>>
>>139340768
She killed an entire species (my memory of the manga is hazy but I'm pretty sure) but her reasoning I feel justified it... sort of.
>>
>>139340583
I don't think being the personification of an ideal makes a character bad. I think there's something good to be said about actively pushing a worldview, something we don't see too often these days. That's really all I can say though, I haven't seen Nausicaa since high school so I can't remember much.
>>
>>139340923
I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing either, but Miyazaki himself said that he was writing her as a character who he wishes existed. As a result. she's devoid of most internal struggle and seems superhuman. However, I'm talking mostly about the manga. In the movie with its condensed length, there is a little bit more that helps make her more believable but in the manga Miyazaki abandoned a lot of interesting character struggles which could've contributed.

That said, I fucking love the manga. It's so packed with ideas.
>>
>>139341107
Interesting, I didn't know that. I don't read a lot but that's one I plan on picking up someday.
>>
>>139341107
Well she is kind of a messianic figure so I think it makes sense that she appears superhuman.

There's an interesting evolution between the early Nausicaa, naive and prone to anger, that doesn't know war and the one from the late volumes, who is more knowledgeable about the realities of the world outside her home and more calm.
I liked what was revealed in the garden of Hidolas, about her relationship with her mother too.
>>
>>139339994
Deleted.
>>
>>139340768
He meant good as in well designed and executed which can include evil characters. At least I think he means that
>>
>>139340583
I mainly posted her because that was the op pic of that thread. Though I do think she's a good character as well.
>>
>>139341107
>she's devoid of most internal struggle and seems superhuman
I think we didn't read the same manga.
>>
>>139340583
>>139338758
>>139341107
I think Kushana is the better female character in the manga. In the movie she's not really developped and feels like a villain though.
>>
>>139343942
I agree. I like her a lot.
>>
>>139343772
It's been a long time since I last read it, I could be way off. It's about time for a reread anyway.

>>139343942
Yeah, I really liked Kushana.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.