[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>All these "trapped in a video game" fantasy anime
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 8
File: 1457885365460.jpg (38 KB, 500x442) Image search: [Google]
1457885365460.jpg
38 KB, 500x442
>All these "trapped in a video game" fantasy anime
You know what would surprise me at this point? An anime where the characters are part of a video game fantasy setting... except they're not trapped. They're normal people with normal lives who just spend a lot of time in their fantasy full immersion MMORPG. There'd be characters like the otaku NEET who plays a handsome and dashing knight, the office lady who gets pushed around in the workplace but plays an agressive barbarian to blow off some steam, the teacher who sometimes takes a break from his obligations to play a priest (exept he doesn't take a break, he still is the one who keeps the party together in times of conflict) and a shy girl who plays a wizard. After a few episodes they meet IRL and the lines between their online and offline personalities start to fade (which means sensei doesn't change at all).
>>
>>139253111
And they all happen to be fat/lanky social outcasts. And all the series' waifus are actually closet homos irl. Sounds good OP.
>>
>>139253111
>All these
>5 in the past decade and half
>>
>>139253111
goddamn I miss Btooom, 4 years already
>>
>>139253338
are you serious? it was ass
>>
>>139253263
How many of them actually got animated? I'm pretty sure they're obscure fringe manga, like the romace ones where the keiki wins.
>>
>>139253111
You have no idea what you're talking about.
Those are usually way worse than what you're complaining about, which isn't even that common yet.
>>
>>139253111
you almost described the phantasy star online 2 anime. its pretty shit.
>>
>>139253111
There is a difference between being trapped in a video game and a fantasy setting including elements you'd find in video games.
>>
>>139253111
The Hestia show felt like this, in that the setting made no sense except as a video game or maybe a tabletop RPG.
>>
How about videogame characters trapped in the real world
>>
>>139255655
Shit I was going to say that, why we don't have this yet
>>
>>139255655
You mean like Video Girl Ai?
>>
>>139253111
You know what would surprise me at this point? If retards like OP stopped pretending there aren't only a handful of these trapped in video game types of anime.
>>
>>139253111
Well in .hack//SIGN only really the protagonist was trapped in the game.
>>
>>139253111
It's been done in .hack you fucking plebians. >>139253445
Showing your age, fuck me the most cancerous people are the ignorant since they never lurk their own interests.
>>
>>139255655
Would that be very different from the typical girl from fantasy land falls on top of average guy show?
>>
>>139253111
How about an anime about people who go to a DnD session and then become trapped inside it?
Or alternatively, it starts as a regular fantasy anime, until right near the end of the first episode someone breaks character to shout about something stupid, and it's just an anime about cute girls playing cute DnD
>>
>>139260903
I'd watch the shit out of that
>>
>>139253111
Almost literally Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta.
>>
>>139253111
grimgar isnt a video game world you retard
>>
>>139253111
I'd watch that shit. .hack//SIGN has some episodes that are like that, and honestly on rewatching it I they're the better part of the show.
>>
>>139260595
No one cares abou hack
>>
>>139261648
>skills
>dungeons
>loot drops
>critical hits
>HP/MP
>LED indicator light moon
>>
>>139264298
Not saying it's not an RPG but there is no HP they just die, there are no real dungeons just locations and one happened to be a mine, no loot drops either they just pick up any money or weapons he enemy had when they were alive. Not even sure there are critical hits just skill activation.
>>
>>139264847
>there is no HP they just die
What is the point of contrasting Manato's and Mary's playstyle if not to demonstrate the HP/MP mechanic?
>there are no real dungeons just lovations and on happens to be a mine
Dungeons aren't just literal dungeons they are a term of art.
>no loot drops either they just pick up any money or weapons the enemy had when they were alive
The whole point of the exercise is to recover some token from the fallen.
>Not even sure there are critical hits just skill activation
This was a fucking plot point. The randomly appearing white light that leads to massive damage is a critical hit.
>>
>>139265454
It's more of a fantasy world than a video game one.
>>
>>139255655
That satan becomes a mickey ds worker anime
>>
>>139253111
Hey you know what how about instead of yet another shitty "inside the mmo" anime we actually get some STRAIGHT NON-PARODY/NON-VIDEOGAME FANTASY for the first time since the fucking 90s

Log Horizon was great though, probably my literal favorite show of the past decade.
>>
>>139265454
Merry literally says it didn't hit the right spot while Manato takes one fatal arrow to the back.
What
There are no chance loot drops it's always whatever the enemy physically owned.
We don't know much about it and it seems exclusive to thieves so it's probably just a passive skill.
>>
>>139265688
>they meet at the quest board
>the only way to learn skills is to train at the guild hall
>immutable relationship between risk and reward
If this is not a video game it's lazy as shit.
>>
File: 01.png (910 KB, 1133x1600) Image search: [Google]
01.png
910 KB, 1133x1600
>>139255655
>>
File: 1366824704375.jpg (37 KB, 600x456) Image search: [Google]
1366824704375.jpg
37 KB, 600x456
>>139260903
>How about an anime about people who go to a DnD session and then become trapped inside it?
You can trap neckbeards in a basement but you can't force them to play.
>>
>What MMO Anime is Right for You?
>I am (select one):

>A teenager
>Angsty as fuck and needs a power fantasy due to school bullying
>Begs mom for a black trenchcoat and replica katana for christmas
Sword Art Online

>20s
>Still listens to "death metal"
>Owns more than a dozen visual novel harem games
Overlord

>30+
>Has a career
>Would rather share a couple beers with former guild members and talk about old times than actually play any modern games
Log Horizon

>Any age, but prefers spending my time making huge forum signatures of cute big-eyed anime characters
>Loves to roleplay *mmrrrrs and glomps you :3*
.hack
>>
>>139265816
>didn't hit the right spot
Clearly the shot that felled Manato was a crit.
>What
There's a location with a map they return to repeatedly to hunt the enemy. They progress through the map. This is a dungeon.
>no chance loot drops
Every kobold that they kill, they grab its nosering. Then they get the sword from the boss.
>exclusive to thieves
Thieves are the DEX build so obviously they crit more than the others.
>>
>>139266067
Oh man this is one of my favorites.
>>
>>139266254
This happens in real life, shooting someone through the heart or hitting a vital organ is not the same as critical chance hit.
Even when this happens in a video game that is not what a dungeon is, dungeons are specific warpable areas which don't exist alongside everything else.
They literally take his actual sword, dark spot dropping the sword wasn't a chance drop
Hunters are also dex builds but Yume hasn't done it.
>>
>>139260903
Fucking anime jumanji when
>>
>>139266604
>shooting someone through the heart or hitting a vital organ
There is a non-trivial randomness associated with the precision of the crossbow.
>specific warpable areas which don't exist alongside everything else
Funny how they can always go home at the end of the day and no goblins ever follow them. And they don't seem to spend much of the day traveling to and from hunting grounds, though you can't see that huge-ass mountain the mine's in on the horizon from the city or the forest or the goblin city.
>Hunters
I would expect a bonus to ranged crit, but I don't see how this point supports the notion that there are no crits.

It's cool I'll let you be wrong on this. Enjoy your totally-not-a-video-game-I'm-an-adult-now show.
>>
>>139253111
http://bato.to/reader#ffef71f179508639
>"I thought my net game wife wasn't a girl?"
It is as bad as it sounds. But it's pretty much what you are asking for: the bizarre guild master turns out to be the respected student council president, the boastful guildmate turns out to be the tsundere twin tailed, and the useless shy priest doesn't change and is worst girl both in game and in real life.
>>
>>139253111
What is this? Half Prince?
>>
What about a group of fantasy teenagers whose world get invaded by video game players?

Or fantasy teenagers who are trapped in the real world...oh nevermind that is partially Gate's plot
>>
>>139255655
Aesthetics of a Rogue Hero?
>>
>>139253111

Was grimgar really a "trapped in a video game"?
I mean, its heavily implied that they were transported into a video game, but they are essentially living in an alternate reality rather than in a video game.
>>
>>139266234
>Would rather share a couple beers with former guild members and talk about old times than actually play any modern games

This is kinda depressing desu
>>
>>139260595
I miss .hack. Comfy times come back to me.

>you will never be a teen playing vidya and listening to the .hack soundtrack in the background again
>>
>>139253111
There's more than one season of SAO, anon. With the exception of the second one they get continually better too. The best one so far barely even involves the main character and actually has a believable plot. I'm not saying those are related, I'm just saying.

>>139265952
I was under the assumption that Grimgar took place in a video game world made real, but that the characters had no idea they were in a video game or that such a thing existed.
>>
>>139253111
>"trapped in a video game"
just remember, this just means that Japan never has a Plan B. I would never try anything experimental over there because your shit is gonna get jacked!
>>
>>139253205
>all the girls are really homos dirty rping you
>this is what some people actually believe

Maybe I was spoiled by being in a guild full of actual women?
I mean, several of them were definitely plus sized, one was 40+ and they were all whores of one stripe or another. But real none the less.
>>
>>139260595
.hack/sign was a masterpiece to my young mind.
>>
File: Meganekill.png (340 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Meganekill.png
340 KB, 1280x720
>>139267872
>Buying Ono Sendai anything
You deserve it.
>>
>>139255655
Somebody get Nintendo on the line, I know their asses are looking into producing animated productions for their IPs.
>>
File: Dungeons_and_Dragons.jpg (132 KB, 300x404) Image search: [Google]
Dungeons_and_Dragons.jpg
132 KB, 300x404
>>139260903
Not anime, and they get trapped in a carnival (producers didn't have the balls but the original idea was of them playing tabletop), but already happened.
>>
>>139268280
It was probably the celtic OST that worked wonders in creating settings. Also the address concept for areas is a fucking master stroke idea that you have to wonder why games don't copy the same idea.

I still believe there should be dungeons that change due to seasons / weather effects by now for re playability of past areas.

Waterfall caverns that flood tunnels, turn to ice, migration of beasts that block the safer winter paths that are mini-bosses that would wreck you at that level.

Games should be grind through areas, come back to take on the smart AI bosses at later levels for rare materials, monster hunt all over the map, just like how you'd travel for skills in GW1.
>>
>>139253111
Isn't that PSO2 anime basically what you are talking about (despite it not being VR the characters are still inserted as if it were).
>>
>>139260903
Wish that would happen to my group so I can be in my power fantasy with my tomboy waifu.
>>
>promising manga about a girl playing an MMO so she can spend more time with her crush
>form complimentary pair of physical tank and magic caster
>exchange promotional "marriage ring" item that gives a humble early game buff when the two are close to each other
>supporting cast of veteran players helping them get through the early levels and figure out the game
>each chapter augmented by real world segments at school and in their free time
>mangaka abandoned it to work on gag manga that ran out of jokes after 2 volumes
>never came back to it even when everybody was shitting out stories about some faggot trapped in RPG land
>>
>>139268945
ever watch btooom bro?
>>
>>139268728
Good thoughts.
I haven't played games in years now, but I'm not aware of anything quite like that.
>>
>>139266234
I guess I am in overlord then..
>>
>>139253111

Read The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor.
>>
>>139268280
Same for me. Especially since it pretty went straight with the idea that a lot of people with some serious issues use MMOs as escapism, whereas these days, they treat that shit like its the best thing ever.
>>
>>139268728
>>139269076
>xenoblade chronicles x
plus it has robutts.
>>
>>139260903
>near the end of the first episode someone breaks character to shout about something stupid, and it's just an anime about cute girls playing cute DnD
That's kinda cute, too bad DnD is mega obscure even among otaku so it would never be made

Maybe if Netflix does it
>>
>>139253111
all this shit is just A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.
>>
>>139253111
.//hack did this and it came off as too somber and slow to enjoy widespread appeal.

Shame too. I kinda liked the slower episodes where everyone's real-life personalities shone through.
>>
>>139253111
You know what would be great?
A legit fucking fantasy world that doesn't have dumb game shit, like levels, skills and classes.
>>
>>139269256
>Netflix does it
>turns into Big Bang theory 2.0

No thank you, there's enough ironic nerd shit out there as is.
>>
>>139269256
>chaos dragon
anime adaptations of tabletop games is it's own genre at this point.
>>
>>139255655
Even better, eroge characters trapped in the real world.
>>
>>139269321
This
It's fucking annoying trying to work game mechanics into it and having massive info dump. It's like the whole trapped in the game thing is to get to the fantasy bit.
>>
>>139255655
I'm sure this has been done before but with original video game characters.
>>
>>139269281
I somehow don't think you've read that story.
>>
>>139269356
I thought TBBT was about relationships and nihilistic characters with wacky hijink situations just like every other sitcom since Seinfeld.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-12-18-01h46m48s886.png (781 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-12-18-01h46m48s886.png
781 KB, 960x720
>>139269400
>chaos dragon
You sir have no taste.
>>
>characters are trapped in a videogame that isn't a fucking fantasy RPG
Wow I saved the genre
>>
>>139253111
why are there literally 7 threads with this topic up

is /a/ being raided?
>>
File: pso2 blonde stitch1.jpg (199 KB, 1282x1237) Image search: [Google]
pso2 blonde stitch1.jpg
199 KB, 1282x1237
>>139255655
This happened this season. Then people got stuck in the video game world and monsters from the game got into the real world.
>>
>>139269822
7 i just count 2
>>
>>139253111
several manga touch on this, its fun
>>
>>139269809
Make it a racing game and rip off Tron and Speed Racer.
>>
>>139265454
It is really imersive virtual reality apparently
>>
>>139269809
no game no life, not sure if that counts
>>
>I'm tired of it, so that means everyone else should be tired of it, too.
>>
>>139268945
Which one are you talking about?
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.